Staying Super Hungry

Melinda M

I am currently on day 5. The big issue I seem to be having is I stay hungry.  (Now this has alway been an issue with me so its nothing new.) I feel like I am eating enough, but within about an hour after I've eaten I'm hungry again. (also, nothing new, always have felt this way.) I drink on average a minimum 60 oz of water a day and only 1-2 cups of coffee early in the morning. I do stay fairly active and have been eating the pre/post workout meals (well the once i've been to practice so far this week). It is usually only during the day I am hungry, I haven't had an issue in the evening. What can I add or change that could help with this? I just finished lunch and feel really full right now.

This weeks meals:

Monday: Breakfast: 2 Eggs Fried(3875), 2 Tbl, 1 C Ground meat, 1 C Squash

Lunch: Protein Salad, Fruit, Balsamic Vinegar, EVOO, Peach

Dinner: Chicken(approx 10oz) , Morracan sauce, 1/2 lb Asparagus,  1.5 C Cabbage Slaw

Tuesday: Breakfast: Spinach Fritatta (3 eggs), berries

Lunch: Protein Salad in bell pepper,rasberry viegarette dressing Peach (i could only eat a 1/4 of this meal)

Dinner1 C Ground meat, pizza sauce(compliant), 1.5 C zucchini

Snacked on a Lara bar after lunchtime

Wednesday: Breakfast:1 C Ground beef , 2 fried eggs ( realized later in the day I forgot my veggies here)

Lunch: Chicken, squash, peach

Dinner:Cilantro cube steak (pintrest),  big salad w/ dressing from greek salad, 1.5 lb asparagus

Snacked on a Lara bar after lunchtime

Thursday: 2 eggs w/spinach&onion, berries

Lunch:left over cube steak, 1/2lb asparugus, 1 C strawberries

Dinner: Skillet Chilli w/1/2 bunch Kale, 1/2 bunch Spinach&Onion (this had over 1C of beef per serving)

Preworkout snack: 1.15 oz almond butter

Post PW: 4oz chicken breast, hardboiled egg whites

Friday: Breakfast: chicken,1 C squash, 2 C watermelon

Lunch: Leftover skillet chili (whick I really didn't like so I only ate half mostly the veggies. I supplimented w/ a whole hardboiled egg) 2C watermelon.

• Administrators

4000 calories burned in 2 hours?!  That's insane!  I have done HIIT spinning and the max you burn for an hour is around 700!  Wow!

Why were you only able to eat a quarter of your lunch on Tuesday? That led to needing to eat the larabar after lunch.  Any time you are needing to snack between meals it's because you are not eating enough at the meals. Thursday's breakfast was on the small side; eggs when they are your sole protein are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; 3-4 is a nice starting point.

It's hard to say what your protein portions are in some cases; try to make them based on your palm size (length, width, thickness) and have 1-2 every meal.  Veggies you should be aiming at 1-3 cups, 3+ being optimal.   Some meals your veggie intake looks good but others it's pretty light.  I don't see you adding any fat to your meals either.  Remember that cooking fat tends to stay in the pan and that the fat recommendations in the template are a minimum, you can always add more...it's what is going to help keep you going.

If you are legitimately hungry between meals, eat a snack of protein veggies and fat. If you can't have all three make sure to have at least two.  And then increase the size of your meals going forward.  :)

You might want to reconsider the Lara Bars. I try to use bars only for emergencies, but when I had a LaraBar I found that the dates were too much of a sugar bomb and the nuts are not really great at combatting that sugar spike. So they didn't keep me full for very long. I switched to using Epic Bars for those situations and felt much better. It's pure meat and fat mostly, no sugar spike and an Epic Bar will usually keep me going for about 3 hrs, definitely long enough to get where I'm going and find some better fuel.

Yes, roller derby can be pretty intense! Especially when we have our endurance practices!

Tuesday I really didn't like what I brought for lunch and I couldn't force it down, and my options to buy something at work are extremely  limited.

The Lara bars I did buy just for emergency purposes, and felt I really needed them at that time since I was stuck at work with no other options.  I have made sure to bring a couple HB eggs and some extra fruit with me to work this week.

I have never heard of Epic bars, where would I find those?

How else would you suggest adding fat into meals? Avocado helps, correct?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Fats -- avocado yes, as well as olives (you can have 2 full handfuls of olives), coconut oil, milk and flakes, ghee, olive oils, macadamia nut oil or walnut oil, homemade mayo (my fave!) that you can use for all sorts of dips and dressings and just eaten off a spoon -- bacon, fattier cuts of meat, duck, goose or chicken fat, nuts and nut butters. Remember -- when cooking in fat, the fat stays in the pan, so don't count it, unless you scrape out the pan onto your plate. 

I would reccomend ditching the fruit for veg -- especially roasted veg, which will give you a feeling of fullness, and only have fruit after you have eaten your protein, fat and veg. There have been several discussions on the forums about not having fruit at breakfast, as many people have discovered it makes them hungrier later in the day. 

I get Epic bars at Wholefoods. If there is not one near you, you can order them online through Amazon and directly from the company. Watch out for the lamb one, most people say it tastes disgusting. My favorite is the bison, and I like the beef and pork ones too.

• Moderators

I get Epic bars at Wholefoods. If there is not one near you, you can order them online through Amazon and directly from the company. Watch out for the lamb one, most people say it tastes disgusting. My favorite is the bison, and I like the beef and pork ones too.

Be sure you read labels on the Epic bars -- I've never bought them, but I remember looking at them online, and some of the flavors at that time were not compliant, I think because of sugar.

• Moderators

Looking at your log I'd say you need to eat more. Remember to have veggies at every meal and don't let fruit push them off your plate.

Don't bring larabars as your emergency food, or you will continue to have "emergencies." Believe me, I've been there.

Get canned or pouches of compliant tuna, salmon or sardines -- and keep a baggie of baby carrots or similar in the fridge if you have one.

You can do this!

Thanks! I have not bought any more Larabars! I am not a morning meal person and that has been a difficult battle.  I have been doing better with this. I think a lot of my issues are mental. I was never really a big veggie person, with limited likes. :unsure: I am trying a lot more but still hesitant. (I do like sweet potatoes now!) I'm also very texture oriented so if I can't get past that I am not able to eat it.

I'm attempting eggplant next!

One of the great things you'll discover as you reduce your sugar intake (including Larabars and peaches - personally I'd get rid of those until after the Whole30 is over) and eliminate addictive grains, your taste buds suddenly open up to a whole new world of flavor, and even your sensitivity to texture may change. I was not a good vegetable eater before even though I found a few of them tolerable, but I never could choke down cauliflower before I gave up grains and sugar but now it's one of my favorite foods! And I grew up vegetarian, so you can imagine the mess I was in, not liking vegetables! It seems like sugar may be a really big issue for you and that you might benefit from further elimination of the higher-sugar fruits and, if you must have fruit, swap peaches out for blackberries or raspberries. And also keep in mind that it takes a while for taste buds to adjust. I've been trying to teach myself to eat avocado for ages and I've finally gotten to where I tolerate it pretty well, but I still don't LOVE it. I eat it every day nonetheless, and it helps keep me satiated. A great way to incorporate it is with your eggs in the morning, either simply sliced up or made into a simple guacamole (mash it up, squeeze some fresh lime onto it, add a little garlic and sea salt). I find that I can get the avocado down easier with a bite of egg or bacon.  

Archived