Unknown Trigger Causing Tummy Trouble

Hollyhock

My main motivation for doing my first Whole30 was to help determine causes of my IBS symptoms. I felt mostly great during, with only some minor stomach issues still occurring. Began reintro 5 days ago with legumes and also had a glass of wine. Felt fine for the two days after and then started having stomach problems yesterday without reintroducing anything new. Things have escalated today and I've been feeling awful! I did have some frozen vegetables which I had been avoiding because of dextrose, but would that really make me sick? I've been wondering if I just have a stomach bug or something-I'm really at a loss! I am planning to reintroduce dairy tomorrow to celebrate my birthday but am concerned that any reaction I may have will be skewed by what's currently going on. Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks!

• Moderators

I would not expect frozen green beans to cause trouble.

You should wait until you feel 100 percent again before eating anything off-plan. You are right that it would be impossible to tell if you experienced symptoms if it was the lingering issue or the new food you had just tried. 

Thanks Tom! I was afraid of that. I started August 1st I thought it was great timing because I would be done by my birthday. But I didn't read the reintroduction protocol until I was about a week in. Ugh! Cheese was going to make the most divine birthday present!!

An even better birthday present has been all this time that you've been feeling better.  Not that that is always a great comfort.  But I have to say, after years of tummy troubles, a year of feeling better has allowed me to really make a lot of other positive changes.

ThyPeace, from Wisconsin and loves cheese.  Had a half-ounce or so for the first time since New Year's Day a couple of weeks ago.  So I've been there.

Archived