Day 27 - and not much change

On Day 27... and not really noticing a difference.  

I was a pretty healthy eater before I started the program (not necessarily Paleo) and am in good shape. 

Assuming that I will need to go beyond 30 days... but would like to get a sense of how long/when can I expect to start feeling a difference. 

Anyone have a similar experience?

• Moderators

Could you list a couple of days of food, including approximate portion sizes, as well as exercise and sleep? Maybe something will stand out that you could tweak for better results.

As far as how long it will take, we can't really say -- everybody is different. Some people feel great toward the end of 30 days, some take a week longer, some who start with health problems may take even longer.

In terms of food - I've been eating a lot (much more than pre-whole30).  Over the past two weeks, I usually do: 2 avocados, 2-3 bananas, 1 dozen eggs, a pack of berries, 3 chicken breast/steak/ground meat patties, potatoes, and zucchini, every day.  I also snack on either plantain chips (plantains, palm oil, salt) or olives.  I either drink water or black coffee.  

I exercise 5x/week - including cardio and strength training.  Sessions are about 1 hour - 20 min, cardio (run about 2 miles); 40 min, weights.

Sleep is tricky - I give myself 9 hours - but probably only sleep for 7.  This is one reason why I started the whole30 program - was hoping for changes/improvements in this area.

Ok, that's a lot of fruit and avocado.

- Fruit is optional on a Whole30. If you're going to have it, we generally recommend 1-2 fruit servings a day, where a serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist.

- While there is no official daily recommendation on avocado, moderator Tom Denham recently recommended no more than one avocado a day and to use other fat sources. 

If those plantain chips are commercially prepared, they're out for a Whole30. No commercially prepared chips. 

How are each of your meals constructed?  What are your portion sizes? Are you having pre and post workout meals?  My concern is your meals aren't big enough, due to the snacking on the plantain chips.

How much water are you drinking daily?

Is your coffee caffeinated? If so, how late in the day are you drinking it?

You might try including potatoes and carb-dense vegetables in your meal 3, to see if that helps with your sleep.  

I'm not following why the plantain chips would be out (besides trying to modify your eating habits, so that you're not snacking).  My understanding was that the key is to look at the ingredient label.  For these particular chips - it's simply palm oil, salt, and plantains.  If "commercially prepared" is a restriction on its own, I'm not sure where I'd buy my food!

My meals are pretty solid.  Ex. decent sized chicken breast, 4 eggs, fist-sized portion of potatoes/zucchini, plus some fruit. 

I really don't eat too much pre work out, just a banana.  Post work out I have dinner. 

Re: water - maybe 2 liters.

Yes, coffee is caffeinated. Usually stop around 2.  

Sleep was just one thing I was hoping to see a difference in.  But, my general comment was that I haven't seen much of a difference overall.  My question was more so - if you're already on a healthy diet....... does this impact results. And when can one expect to start feeling a difference.  I understand that this might be different for everyone.... but wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

I'm not following why the plantain chips would be out (besides trying to modify your eating habits, so that you're not snacking).  My understanding was that the key is to look at the ingredient label.  For these particular chips - it's simply palm oil, salt, and plantains.  

In this case, it's not a matter of whether the ingredients are compliant. It's the context of commercially prepared chips, which are not allowed, per the Can I Have Guide.

"Chips: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep fried

While we recognize that potatoes are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)" - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.hOsXd01i.dpuf

My meals are pretty solid.  Ex. decent sized chicken breast, 4 eggs, fist-sized portion of potatoes/zucchini, plus some fruit. 

If they are "solid," then why are you snacking in between? ;)  The recommended veg amount is 1-3 cups per meal. Only when you have starchy veg do we suggest a fist-sized amount.  Add more veggies and fat. The idea is to build meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours, starting within 1 hour of waking, removing the need to snack. This is for optimal hormonal balance.

I really don't eat too much pre work out, just a banana.  Post work out I have dinner. 

The pre workout recommendation is protein and fat, no fruit.   Post workout is to be consumed immediately after exercise, and that recommendation is protein and optional carby vegetable.  My hunch is if you have the pre and post workout meals, you will be less likely to snack.

Yes, coffee is caffeinated. Usually stop around 2.  

The Whole30 recommendation is no caffeine after noon. You  might try that and see if it helps improve your sleep. 

The reason I snack is because I lose weight very easily - and have spent the last 8 years trying to gain/maintain my weight.

Noting the parameters of this program - I eliminated protein shakes and weight gainer... but w/ my body, I need to consume food more frequently in order not to go backwards (get too skinny).  With this, I've been snacking on fruits, plantain chips, eggs, sometimes pumpkin seeds, etc. 

So.... really not as concerned w/ snacking, unless it would have an impact on results (why I may not be feeling a difference)?  Sounds like it would for those who have a general problem with snacking.... but, for me, who doesn't usually snack, feels like I might be ok. 

This is the article we suggest for folks who don't want to lose weight on a Whole30.http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Note we don't want you grazing throughout the day. If you eat more than 3 meals, make them mini meals of protein, veg and fat, not just one of those components.

I feel making the change to mini-meals and stopping caffeine consumption after noon are worth you experimenting with to see if that improves your sleep. Also, steps like no screens an hour before bed, dark, quiet and comfortably cool room should help too.

Archived