Where does Bone Broth fit?

Emily K

Hi All!

Its been about 3 weeks since I've finished my first whole30 and man I feel amazing. I've strayed from the whole30 guidelines maybe 5 times with a slow roll reintroduction. Honestly, I don't miss a thing about the grains and dairy that I have found have a huge effect on my mood and anxiety levels.

Anyways, to the topic at hand. Bone Broth.

I hear it is like the magical elixr of life chock full of amino acids and superhero strength gut-healing properties.

But where exactly does it fit in the food template? Is it a protein? a fat? carb?

Guidance, please.

Emily K

• Moderators

Bone broth fits the meal template like coffee or tea or even water. It is something to drink that happens to do great things to your body. However, even if you are drinking a cup of bone broth with a meal, there is no reason to alter the composition of your meal... keep eating a palm-size portion of protein, some measure of fat, and fill your plate with veggies. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Are you guys doing chicken or beef broth?  I love chicken broth but since I can't get good quality chicken for less than an absurd amount of money I tend to usually just have beef broth around.  And the thought of a mug of beef broth... blch.  But maybe I'm seasoning it wrong or something?  What are you guys adding to the pot besides bones or shanks or whatever your beef base is?

When I make mine I will add onion, garlic, carrot, celery if I have them on hand. I have also just salted the broth without the veggies. Sometimes I have to add extra salt when I reheat to drink and have also added garlic powder. Sounds weird but It was delicious. You could add any seasoning as you heat if it needs it. Maybe others will have suggestions as well

• 2 weeks later...

I've also heard that bone broth is not a protein or meal replacement, but rather a meat extender. I eat a vege/pescatarian diet on Fridays and struggle with portable protein options for my day. I've found that adding a cup of bone broth to my lunch helps my feel fuller longer!

That's a great idea- that is something I could bring to my business and keep in a cup in the fridge here for those days when I have packed a "light" lunch. 

Are you guys doing chicken or beef broth?  I love chicken broth but since I can't get good quality chicken for less than an absurd amount of money I tend to usually just have beef broth around.  And the thought of a mug of beef broth... blch.  But maybe I'm seasoning it wrong or something?  What are you guys adding to the pot besides bones or shanks or whatever your beef base is?

Usually, grass fed leg of lamb and whole chickens are on sale where I live, so I keep al the bones in my freezer in a bag, and when I make my broth, it's a combination. It works for everything! I also keep the ends of every vegetable I chop up, in a bag, in my freezer. Sometimes I have to compost some of it because my freezer gets more of them than meat bones, and I use those in place of the carrots, onions, and celery portions they recommend. It makes a much more savory broth, IME, but YMMV. :)

• Administrators

I also keep the ends of every vegetable I chop up, in a bag, in my freezer. Sometimes I have to compost some of it because my freezer gets more of them than meat bones, and I use those in place of the carrots, onions, and celery portions they recommend. It makes a much more savory broth, IME, but YMMV. :)

I do this with my veggies as well (including apple peelings and cores)!  The one thing that I will buy special for the broth is a bulb of fennel, I love the flavour it gives. I usually chop one in half (half bulb, half stalks) for the current broth and then chop the second half and put it in a freezer bag for next time. 

I do this with my veggies as well (including apple peelings and cores)!  The one thing that I will buy special for the broth is a bulb of fennel, I love the flavour it gives. I usually chop one in half (half bulb, half stalks) for the current broth and then chop the second half and put it in a freezer bag for next time. 

That sounds amazing- I looove fennel anyways, and it's easy for me to get. :D

Archived