Living in an obese body (sucks!!)

Tracy R.

I am just catching up to some of these posts. Thanks for your honesty. I was skinny until I hit 30 years old, then started gaining weight like crazy. I've been overweight for over 25 years. I need to lose 50 pounds. Thus far with Whole30, I've lost 10, so I am encouraged. I'm trying to get into an exercise routine, but thus far I'm not consistent.

Thanks for your post. No, you are definitely not the only one! I wish you the best!

But you should also be aware that sometimes there may be relapse in behaviors that are unhealthy, but it's normal, so you should not feel like you've failed.

This is very important and where I've succeeded this time and failed with other meal plans. I plan my relapses if you will. I KNOW I will have chocolate again, I know I will have those unhealthy french fries again. But when I do have them, they are a treat for me and I act as such. I just don't have the relationship with them that I once I did, I don't crave them. So I eat them when I do and go right back. I hope you (and the others on here) find this as well.

All of these responses have been wonderful to read. I love the support, kindness and acceptance here. I wish I had time tonight to respond to each one that I've not responded to yet. I'm exhausted though, bout to go to bed. Friday's are tough cause my youngest child has therapy in Atlanta on Fridays after school, so I get to enjoy that traffic on our way home. Not Fun!! I was smart today and made most of dinner this afternoon. When i got in at 6:30 it didn't take long to have our meal on the table. I'm going to do my first cook up (think that is what it's called) this weekend.

Tracy, your original post reflects a lot of strength and courage. Congratulations on what you have accomplished in your life, and continue to accomplish.

I grew up as a skinny kid. When I graduated from high school in '79 I was 6'0" and all of about 170 pounds. Now I'm 315 pounds. I'm with you: living in an obese body DOES suck!!! :)

One of the pastors at my church tweeted last week that he was one week into W30, and it piqued my interest. Checked it out, and I'm committed to my start this coming Monday (getting geared up this weekend). My focus, as is your's, is not solely weight loss but truly healthy living. BUT, at my weight the loss in pounds and change in body composition are going to be early critical mileposts. My plan is to combine W30 with regular cardio work and at-home strength work like push-ups, isometrics and such.

Best of success to you, and to all in this wonderful endeavor!!!

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I've been MIA for about a week now, maybe. I've had sick kids and I gave my computer to my oldest daughter, so had to wait till I had something else to use. Hope everybody is doing well. My first Whole 30 ended as a Whole 27. This was a planned and thought out ending, not a "moment of weakness slip up". Last Thursday there was a banquet for foster parents and supporters of the agency we work with. We are no longer foster parents, but we still help out be promoting foster care to groups when the agency requests. This is a yearly event that my husband and I always look forward to. I found out two things at the event. 1. white potatoes are a definite NO GO food for me. 2. I can feel satisfied by just a smidgen of dessert.

I passed on the bread and salad dressing (just squeezed lemon onto my salad). Dinner was chicken breast, roasted red potatoes and carrots and green beans. I could not stop eating the potatoes! They are definitely my kryptonite. My husband and I both agreed that is a food that can not be brought back into our home. Dessert was cheesecake or chocolate cake. I got the cheesecake since it's gluten free when not eating the graham cracker crust. I have never in my life had so little cheesecake and felt so satisfied at the same time.

One thing I did before my first bite of the cheesecake was I texted my sister a picture of it and told her I'd send her a pic of what I left on the plate. It was a way for me to be accountable. I had 5 little bitty, just a bit of cake on the tip of my fork, bites and pushed it away. I savored each and every one of those. Sugar is not my enemy, white potatoes are.

The main reason I started a W30 was to change eating habits and break holds that food has on me. I feel that was a success, as does my husband...with the exception of white potatoes for me. My husband and I are both continuing with our W30, although we don't think of it as a W30, it's just how we eat now. I'm starting a new W30 this month focusing on two habits: drinking water and exercising daily.

I want all those that are overweight like myself to know that whatever hardships you face during a W30 is worth it! Don't set your expectations as far as weight loss so high that you end up disappointed at the end. I think weight loss will happen with eating this dang good, but it might not be the huge number you have in your head. Other things are going on that is just as good though. Here are a few of the reasons I feel my W27 was a success:

1. my family has never had such a healthy diet. Every morsel of food I have in my home and available to my family is nutritious. My kids are happy with it too. They know they will get an occasional treat when we are out, but that at home we are taking care of our bodies. I've had to reteach them (and myself) that a treat is not something we have laying around the house to have whenever we want it. When a treat is available like that, it's no longer a treat. I'm teaching my kids healthy eating habits that I pray sticks with them. I refuse to continue with the way things were and be the one that causes them to be overweight and unhealthy because that is what they grew up with. I'm not going to repeat the mistakes I made with my oldest and I'm praying that as my oldest sees the changes in me, she will choose to start making healthier choices.

2. the behavior of my kids has improved, especially my two youngest with special needs. Our home is much more calm now. You have no idea how positive this one is!!!

3. my skin has cleared up

4. I'm down 2, almost 3 sizes in jeans. I wore a dress for the first time in YEARS to the banguet and it looked pretty darn good! I'm losing inches in my stomach, which helped me be able to wear a dress. Before, to get a dress that fit the middle, I'd have to get one much to big in the shoulders and chest. I'm sure some of you ladies know what I'm talking about.

5. I feel strong and knowledgeable about food choices

6. I'm enjoying cooking and serving my family. I had lost that joy a few years back. It's fun discovering new vegetables and the way I cook now is so tasty and simple. I just love it and so does my family. I get so many compliments at dinner now.

7. no pain at all with my last period. This is a big deal. My periods usually put me in bed for a day or two due to the severe cramps and back pain. I've had extreme pain with them since I was a teenager.

8. my nails are beautiful: growing fast, not splitting and hard

These are just a few of the changes I've experienced. I hope reading this inspires you to keep going or to start if you haven't yet. We don't have to be stuck in our unhealthy, obese bodies!

This is great Tracy! Congratulations!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your reaction to white potatoes?

Thank you :)

With the first bite, I felt like I was feeding an addiction that had been dormant. I can not express in words how much I love white potatoes in any form. I took that first bite and closed my eyes and sighed as I swallowed. I actually got a bit of a rush from it. I finished the ones on my plate and then started picking at the ones on my daughter's plate that she left, then ate all of my son's cause he didn't like them. I had 3 servings of potatoes and could have ate more!! Not cause I was hungry, but my brain kept saying "oh yeah, give me more of that!".

I was really down on myself for a couple days about my lack of control with a simple potato. I'm looking at it different now. I gained knowledge that night in a safe environment. I tried something that I know I have a problem with in an environment where I didn't have unlimited access. (I ate all that was available to me, so this ended up being a good thing. lol) I can get through cravings for potatoes just fine (had several days during Sept that I wanted some, but since there were none in the house, didn't get them and the craving passed quickly). So, as long as I don't have them in the house, I'm good. If I want a bit of white potato, I'll need to get it when we eat out on date night so that I only have access to one serving. This won't happen often though cause we don't have many date nights and when we do, we are looking for things to do besides go eat. Eating out was the only thing we use to do on date night. How boring!! Changing our eating habits has improved the quality of my marriage. I should have listed that one too.

• 3 years later...

I lived there but I picked UP and moved out of that body.  It didn't happen overnight.  It took 17 months. 

I followed the best advice on this site.  You simply keep going at that reasonable and slow pace until you arrive at your optimum setpoint.   I didn't change a WINNING game.   

I followed the simple, nonnegotiable principles for getting there.  It is sooo worth it.  

Archived