Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

Starting Day 3. Last night I made a cauliflower/spinach/sausage casserole that I have made many times - it is delicious.

http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/02/06/who-is-sick-of-eggs-for-breakfast/

It's great for just about any meal. I like it for breakfast, because I really like heat'n'eat casserole-type stuff in the morning (I don't want to get up & have to cook). It's a ton of veggies, a solid punch of protein, & has no taste of eggs (for those who get tired of eggs). I'm not gonna lie - it is a lot of work to make this casserole (food processor, at least two pots on the stove, using a hand mixer or a lot of whisking on the eggs, then 45 minutes in the oven). But it's EIGHT servings of awesome.

So I had a slice of casserole for breakfast along with some strawberries & coffee blended with ghee & coconut oil. Lunch today will be some defrosted gumbo z'herbes, discovered in the depths of the freezer. Tonight's dinner will be leftovers.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to get an immersion blender as well. Not only to make mayo but small batches of soups and dressings.

Today is treat day at work and talk about willpower: picking up 2 dozen freshly baked donuts from the local donut shop to contribute. I also brought watermelon and things for a baked potato bar so at least I am able to add those last 2 things to my lunch!

I'm in the same boat.  Need to donate a food item in our school's cake walk Friday.  I really wanted to make my usual rice krispie/chocolate treat but there is no way I can make that without fail.  I'm going to pick up some cupcakes from the cupcake place on the way to the event so I don't have them sitting around all day.  (yes the W30 mom in me should make a nice Paleo dessert but I'm not even going there.:)

Day 2 went well for me. Made the "perfect burgers" in the oven and they turned out fine, very dense (meat was 90/10). I'm going to try to make some sort of hash out of the leftovers tonight with mushrooms and onions.

Today I do feel a little worn out, as expected from reading the timeline in the book. But I'm feeling emotionally energized at the same time. Interesting how my body and mind are adjusting to the new fuel. Good luck to everyone today!

I am the same way.  Was eating pretty healthy prior to starting (limited carbs, legumes, etc.) and I really think it has helped me.  I don't feel awful...just went through the 3:00 slump yesterday.  It's my carpool time and I seriously thought I'd love to take a nap at the wheel.  It's also my favorite snack time and difficult for me to make it to dinner.  Was a bit more grouchy with the kids too.  Oh, my poor family.  

Is everyone else having issues getting by to the next meal without wanting to snack?  I workout every day (weightlifting & 30min cardio), and for years have been programmed to eat small meals every two hours.  This wait between meals is difficult for me!  Yesterday around 3:00 (my worst time of day) I got a veggie/fruit fresh juice and seem to have a handful of cashews a lot.  Is this bad?  Also snack a lot on black olives.

The guys at the gym really warned me about how awful I will feel giving up my carbs and still lifting heavily.  I'd like to keep working out but am worried about too little food.  Feel free to comment if you work out and how you deal with food.  Coming home & having a baked sweet potato & piece of meat after a workout is so foreign.  I miss my protein shakes with peanut butter!!!

Thanks,

Jill

Today is starting out a little trying for me. Woke up to a low blood sugar (I'm type 1 diabetic). Wanted desperately to add the cheese that was yelling my name from the fridge to my eggs & veggies. Topped off by my coworkers showing a pic of their supper (not W30) & discussing recipes. Needless to say, I'm pretty grumpy! Anyone else finding cravings difficult today?

Is everyone else having issues getting by to the next meal without wanting to snack?  I workout every day (weightlifting & 30min cardio), and for years have been programmed to eat small meals every two hours.  This wait between meals is difficult for me!  Yesterday around 3:00 (my worst time of day) I got a veggie/fruit fresh juice and seem to have a handful of cashews a lot.  Is this bad?  Also snack a lot on black olives.

The guys at the gym really warned me about how awful I will feel giving up my carbs and still lifting heavily.  I'd like to keep working out but am worried about too little food.  Feel free to comment if you work out and how you deal with food.  Coming home & having a baked sweet potato & piece of meat after a workout is so foreign.  I miss my protein shakes with peanut butter!!!

Thanks,

Jill

Are you including pre and/or post workout meals, as recommended by the meal template? Pre wo is protein and fat. Post is protein and optional carby vegetable.  You get to have these in addition to your three daily meals.

When first starting on a Whole30, it can be tricky to build meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours.  Until you get there, if you are genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components.  

Avoid juices: the idea is to chew on whole foods, as chewing is more satiating.  Nuts are an ok fat source: just don't eat them by themselves or make them you first go-to fat - they are recommended to be limited as a fat on a Whole30. 

Hey there -- I'm starting my second W30 tomorrow (17th) but this group looks so vibrant and active that I'd love to jump on if that's OK! Being a part of a great group like this was the core element to my success last time. I've gone off track towards the end of the summer, but want to recover that great feeling I had while I was doing this 110%. I'm also about 10 weeks pregnant, so am hoping to use this model to be as healthy as possible for our new baby! 

Today is starting out a little trying for me. Woke up to a low blood sugar (I'm type 1 diabetic). 

Are you on insulin or other medication?  Did you discuss going on the Whole30 with your doctor? As a Type 1 diabetic on medication, it's essential to have this conversation before embarking on a Whole30. http://whole30.com/2013/09/talk-to-your-doc-part-1/

Starting Day 3. Last night I made a cauliflower/spinach/sausage casserole that I have made many times - it is delicious.

http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/02/06/who-is-sick-of-eggs-for-breakfast/

It's great for just about any meal. I like it for breakfast, because I really like heat'n'eat casserole-type stuff in the morning (I don't want to get up & have to cook). It's a ton of veggies, a solid punch of protein, & has no taste of eggs (for those who get tired of eggs). I'm not gonna lie - it is a lot of work to make this casserole (food processor, at least two pots on the stove, using a hand mixer or a lot of whisking on the eggs, then 45 minutes in the oven). But it's EIGHT servings of awesome.

So I had a slice of casserole for breakfast along with some strawberries & coffee blended with ghee & coconut oil. Lunch today will be some defrosted gumbo z'herbes, discovered in the depths of the freezer. Tonight's dinner will be leftovers.

That casserole looks great - the sausage sold me.  I'm definitely going to make it this weekend.  I'm having trouble making it out the door in the morning on time now that I can't make my usual breakfast smoothie.  This looks like a good solution.

I just read a lot of posts about people feeling exhausted, grouchy, or otherwise down. Know this my friends - what you are feeling is very typical for Days 2-3 of the Whole30. Persevere! If you haven't seen it, check out the Whole30 Timeline:

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Things can be TOUGH at the beginning of this experience, & they pretty much STAY tough for many people until almost halfway through. Be strong! Your body is trying to sort out a lot of new inputs & it's going to take a little while. Drink water, treat your headache as needed (I used icepacks & ibuprofen yesterday), & get as much rest as you can. We can do this!

I really want to get an immersion blender as well. Not only to make mayo but small batches of soups and dressings.

Today is treat day at work and talk about willpower: picking up 2 dozen freshly baked donuts from the local donut shop to contribute. I also brought watermelon and things for a baked potato bar so at least I am able to add those last 2 things to my lunch!

It's appreciation day, so my coworkers are all in the courtyard eating pizza and ice cream... I'm eating leftover salmon patties and reading forum posts. :) I'll go out and socialize when they're done eating, but I am struck at how much social activity revolves around food.

Thanks,

Jill

jill

i am totally having this issue.  i am not a serious exerciser, but i also don't eat big meals during the day.  eating big meals is killing me.  also, someone mentioned above that they're missing their pistachios at night.  are these not allowed for snacks?  seems like a handful of almonds (or other crunchy things) with a sparkling water is an okay substitute... or am i breaking a rule?

Angledge that looks SO good! Thanks for sharing! I'll make that for breakfast next week I think for a change from the frittata.

Taking snacking out of my meal plan has definitely been a change. But I think eating within an hour of waking has helped prevent me from getting too hungry if I were to wait to eat at work. This morning I ate at about 6 and will eat lunch pretty soon at 11:30 and I'm actually not starving. I have been very mindful to drink water throughout the morning so that has helped

my biggest problem is breakfast.  i never ate it before.  never been hungry till 10am or so.  making myself eat is hard.  really, really hard.

was there a decision made about staying in touch?  a closed facebook group sounds good to me.

I am happy to start one but the only risk is that we share information and don't get the knowledge of the Whole30 experts weighing in?  As long as it is for support and we don't get too technical then I think it would be a great way to motivate/help each other.  It is easier for me to keep up on FB posts than it is with this forum.  I pretty much just look at it late at night but could use motivation during the day.

If you are interested in joining our secret Facebook group for September 2015 starts, please let me know your name as it appears on Facebook.  Please email me at [email protected]

By it being secret, your FB friends will not know you are in this group nor will they see that you posted.  My only question is if I can add you without making you my FB friend?  I think so but we'll try to see.  Trust me, you do not want all of my personal posts.  :-)  Jill

jill

i am totally having this issue.  i am not a serious exerciser, but i also don't eat big meals during the day.  eating big meals is killing me.  also, someone mentioned above that they're missing their pistachios at night.  are these not allowed for snacks?  seems like a handful of almonds (or other crunchy things) with a sparkling water is an okay substitute... or am i breaking a rule?

The snacking thing is a recommendation, not a rule. The biggie is to only snack when you're genuinely hungry (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), vs. out of habit, mindlessly, or being bored. This is all within the scope of using the Whole30 to change your relationship with food.

For best results and optimal hormonal balance, the idea is to have the first meal within 1 hour of waking, and then build each of your meals to satiate you for 4-5 hours. Until you get there, if you are truly hungry between meals, the recommended snack is a mini meal of protein, carb and fat or at least two of those macros.  Avoid having nuts by themselves as a snack, and try to avoid making them your primary fat choice, as nuts are recommended to be limited on a Whole30.

my problem has always been that hunger and eating have no relationship whatsoever with me.  i eat because i'm bored.  i eat because i'm watching tv.  so being full from a big breakfast... doesn't really make a difference.  i'm still sitting here at work eating roasted carrots because... they're there!  not because i'm hungry.

Um ... recipe???  :)

OK, so for the chipotle paste I soak a few dried chipotle chillis in water for 15mins or so, drain & then add some balsamic vinegar, a squeeze of tomato paste, a clove or two of crushed garlic, a 1/2 tsp dried onion, cumin, coriander, & smoked paprika and some EVOO and then blend it all to a smooth paste. I kind of eyeball the spices depending on how much dried chilli I use...

Every store bought chipotle paste I have seen has sugar added to it so you could sweeten this up a bit with a half a date, or some orange juice I guess - I've never bothered.

Then, I use about 6-8 chicken breasts, 2 large white onions - thinly sliced (although this time I used just the one as I'm going a bit low FODMAP), 2 chopped chillis (I used one red & one green for some colour), 4 crushed cloves of garlic, 2 tsp ground cumin, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 2-3 heaped tsp of the chipotle paste, 2 heaped tbsp almond or cashew butter, a handful of dried unsweetened sultanas (I often use mixed raisins, sultanas & cranberries cos they're better value to buy here!), 1 can 400g chopped tomatoes, and about a cup of bone broth.

Cut up & seal the chicken breasts in a pan in your oil of choosing & set aside.

In the same pan (no need to clean) saute the onions in some more oil until softened and then add the garlic, chilli & spices along with a little more oil until they're aromatic.

Ideally you mash the sultanas in a pestle & mortar, and add the chipotle paste & almond butter, but to save time I just add the sultanas, chipotle paste & almond butter to the sauteed onions in the pan and heat through until the sauce is heated & a little less thick, stirring constantly.

Add the chicken to the onion/sauce mix & then add the tinned tomatoes & the bone broth - you'll see from the consistency of the dish how much bone broth you need to add depending on whether you like your sauce thick or thin.

Simmer for 20-30mins.

About ten minutes prior to serving add in a good few tbsps (I think I use about four heaped) of 100% raw cacao powder - enough to give it a nice rich brown colour & a good 'chocolately' flavour.

Serve & enjoy!

my problem has always been that hunger and eating have no relationship whatsoever with me. i eat because i'm bored. i eat because i'm watching tv. so being full from a big breakfast... doesn't really make a difference. i'm still sitting here at work eating roasted carrots because... they're there! not because i'm hungry.

I'm the same way with watching TV. I would always have a snack even if I wasn't necessarily hungry- just out of habit!

my problem has always been that hunger and eating have no relationship whatsoever with me.  i eat because i'm bored.  i eat because i'm watching tv.  so being full from a big breakfast... doesn't really make a difference.  i'm still sitting here at work eating roasted carrots because... they're there!  not because i'm hungry.

Are you open to that being your modus operandi *up until now,* and using the Whole30 as a way to tune into your actual satiety cues? You could experiment with eating between meals only when you are truly hungry. Further, if you are bored, play with non-food ways to keep yourself occupied. 

I also have problems avoiding snacking. I have a really hard time distinguishing between genuine hunger and just a desire to snack/boredom. I've definitely snacked on some nuts and fruit the past 2 days, but I'm trying to work on my mindfulness and cut back to only eating when I'm truly hungry (one of my big Whole30 goals). 

Any other scale addicts here? I honestly think the biggest struggle I've had over the past 3 days has been not weighing myself. I realize how ridiculous that sounds when I say it out loud, but it's definitely true.

Positives so far: I slept way better last night and I feel more refreshed (despite this day 3 "hangover" headache!)

Hello fellow Day 3 survivors!

So far I'm getting off pretty easy compared to what I'm reading here. I've had slight headache the last two evenings, but other than that I feel spectacular! I'm sleeping better, haven't had any cravings, hungry at the appropriate times, and my bloat is lessening. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm one if the lucky ones and hoping I won't experience a delayed hangover.

I'm sending happy/healthy vibes to each and every one of you!

All that talk about fatigue.....I didn't THINK I was tired but ended up running home on my lunch hour for a power nap. 

I have had a few handfuls of nuts here and there when I feel snacky and will change it up per previous post and not eat nuts alone any more.

And, as far as snacking, I think in these first few days we are really in an adjustment phase, whether it is eating breakfast for the first time or no longer eating every two hours or what have you.

So, let's be gentle on ourselfs durning this transition and be proud of our wins!!!  We aren't eating CRAP anymore.  And, maybe we need to slow down and be mindul while we eat our nutritious meals.  I am guilty of eating lunch at my desk which takes the focus off of the meal and satiety cues. 

My house smells delightful, crock pot brisket and squash.......YUM

Have a great day!

Day 3... HECK YEAH!!... so I have been having headaches and have warned my co-workers that day 4 and 5 are the "kill all the things" days! I am not much of a cook so I have basically just been eating the same thing for 3 days. Eggs and veggies for breakfast, with an apple, spinach salad with veggies for lunch with chicken and balsamic dressing (whole30 approved) and a cup of berries and basically that again for dinner. I have a 3 year old and a full time job so spending a ton of time in the kitchen is tuff!

Any ideas on how to make it easier?! All ideas are appreciated.

Archived