Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

And I have to ask, has anyone been drinking Kombucha?  I tried it for the first time yesterday and it's my new favorite thing on the planet.  I'm curious if there is any restriction on drinking this?  Like only with meals, or as a midday treat, etc.  I drank 1 bottle (16oz) yesterday between breakfast and lunch and the same today.  I hope this is ok...please let me know if it isn't!

I LOVE kombucha! I am drinking some now. After my first whole 30 I started buying it, and it's so pricey I decided to try to make it. It's so easy. I have some every day. :) 

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else missing diet sodas and gum? I'm surprised how much I miss having that one diet coke with lunch and chewing gum after meals. I'm thinking it's a mild addiction to the artificial sweeteners and/or other chemicals. I'm drinking more water, and maybe I should bring a toothbrush to the office.

Big hugs CBiggs... I hope you feel better soon. I usually try to take zinc when I have a cold, it helps a ton. Not sure whether zinc tabs are generally whole30 compliant, but remember taking some last time. 

Mink, I didn't start feeling badly on my last go-round until day 5-6, then the dreaded 'carb flu' set in.. then I was stabby for a few days.. then felt like superwoman. :)

Ah thanks for the heads up!  Good to know and I'll just wait to see and hang on in there ;)

Happy 4th day, everyone!  Here are a few of the recipes I've made over the past 4 days.  I loved ALL of them and they were mostly easy, but the eggs in a nest took quite a bit of time.

Paleo Ketchup - http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2015/04/07/paleo-whole30-ketchup/

Potato Salad - http://yumgoggle.com/whole30-potato-salad/

Sweet Potato Chili - http://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/2014/09/24/paleo-sweet-potato-chili/ - this is a FAVORITE in my house!  I couldn't find W30 compliant beef stock, so I used plain water and it was still delicious!

Eggs in a Nest - http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2015/01/eggs-nest/

And I have to ask, has anyone been drinking Kombucha?  I tried it for the first time yesterday and it's my new favorite thing on the planet.  I'm curious if there is any restriction on drinking this?  Like only with meals, or as a midday treat, etc.  I drank 1 bottle (16oz) yesterday between breakfast and lunch and the same today.  I hope this is ok...please let me know if it isn't!

Oh wow thanks for these :) they sound delicious.  Can I just ask though what it means by tomato sauce in the recipe for the sweet potato chilli?  I'm from the UK and i'm wondering if it's what we call passata :)

Thank you very much

Anyone else missing diet sodas and gum? I'm surprised how much I miss having that one diet coke with lunch and chewing gum after meals. I'm thinking it's a mild addiction to the artificial sweeteners and/or other chemicals. I'm drinking more water, and maybe I should bring a toothbrush to the office.

I miss gum. I usually chew a piece on my way to the gym in the early morning.. it helps wake me up and I don't have to brush my teeth if I don't feel like it. :lol:

Oh wow thanks for these :) they sound delicious. Can I just ask though what it means by tomato sauce in the recipe for the sweet potato chilli? I'm from the UK and i'm wondering if it's what we call passata :)

Thank you very much

Yes, i believe they are one and the same.

Kombucha is OK as long as no sugar is added after fermentation. http://whole9life.com/2012/10/quench-your-thirst-whole9-style/

Personally I love GT Dave's gingerade & multi-green flavors. I drink some just about every day.

oh my goodness, this thread RULES!!!

I'm at work and only have a second to write.

I too miss diet soda and gum, but have been off of it for about 3 weeks.  Have been mostly paleo since then as mentioned at the beginning of the thread.  I did have a fully NON-paleo day and had been having my adult beverages.

After my non-paleo day I really knew it.....lets just say I had to make a couple of emergent trips to the restroom!!! 

I would love the Kombucha recipe-frogtox. 

I like one called Gingerade but it is SOOO expensive. 

And, thanks to everyone for all of the recipes!!!!

OHHHHH, after dinner last night I ended up going straight to bed, I'm not sure I was really that tired but all of the reading about being tired made me tired!  I slept 12 hours, holy balls!!!  Good news, my hubs cleaned the entire kitchen (well excpet for the crockpot....OY)

RE: Kombucha, to be clear on homemade, the addition of sugar is necessary for flavoring it, but since it goes through fermentation a second time the sugar is 'eaten' up and essentially gone. Or gone enough. 

To make kombucha is relatively easy in principle. You brew about a gallon of black tea with a cup of sugar and add a SCOBY (which is a disgusting looking cake of yeast or bacteria that is responsible for fermenting it). Cover it loosely and about 10 days later you have kombucha which basically tastes like sweetish slightly bubbly iced tea. I like to then do a secondary fermentation step where I add ginger or berries or lavender and let it set a few more days. It's refreshing and a nice break from the water-only tendency of Whole30. And, it has loads of probiotics so it's really good for you. 

Here's a link to how to make it. http://everydaypaleo.com/how-to-make-kombucha-by-katie-of-wellness-mama/

Your first batch can take a bit longer depending on how big your SCOBY is. I initially ordered one off Amazon and it worked well. Currently I have enough to share, and would be more than willing to send one along for the price of shipping. :) 

I also have the urge to weigh myself, which frankly is weird because I usually avoid the scale.  I feel like my face looks thinner (probably because of less bloating more than actual weight loss - it's only been 4 days after all), and I want proof!

That's exactly how I feel! It's like I feel like I need the scale to give me proof that this is working for me. I'm working hard on focusing on overall health improvement and trying to remind myself I don't need the scale to validate my efforts. It's really messing with my mind though!

Favorite recipes so far:

Chicken cowder - From the Whole30 book... So amazingly delicious. I've been skipping the blending step and eating it like a curry over cauli rice.

Brined Chicken for salads - http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken - 1lb chicken breast and one compliant jar of salsa verde in the slow cooker for 6 hours (could't find where I found the recipe originally, but I think it was on the Whole30 Recipes instagram)

Okay, has anyone encountered any nay-sayers yet?  I've decided I'm not going to mention the name Whole30 or even that I'm following a "program".  I need to stick with the suggestions they give in the book.  Now granted....I'm talking about meatheads in the gym.  I haven't met with my trainer yet so have a feeling she will do the same BUT it came up b/c I've been asked if I wanted a post workout protein shake.  I said "no" and that I really miss them.  (mistake number one...but man I miss my chocolate/banana/peanut butter!)  My one friend was actually helpful and told me what he used to do with potatoes and ideas for breakfast hash etc.  The other guy today went on & on about how by eliminating these foods for 30 days I'm really messing with my metabolism & my body is going to go nuts putting on weight when I'm done.  Great.  NOT what I needed to hear.  I had no doubts as of noon today and now I'm questioning the program.  

You see, having an unhealthy history with diets I am really not supposed to restrict myself & am really supposed to follow my hunger.  (negative past with dieting) I am struggling b/c I am really not that hungry at my meals enough to eat a ton.  Every day I can barely eat all of my breakfast (saving coffee for after) but I make myself and today at lunch I felt like I had a hearty bowl of spaghetti squash with meat sauce, watermelon after, but by 4:00 I was starving.  Eating only when hungry/stopping when full is part of me.  B/c I workout I've always eaten something small every 2-3 hours.  I'm always eating compliant snacks but granted it is sometimes a Lara Bar or nuts (in the car a lot).

Any advice.  I know I can't be the only one experiencing this...or am I?

Okay, has anyone encountered any nay-sayers yet?  I've decided I'm not going to mention the name Whole30 or even that I'm following a "program".  I need to stick with the suggestions they give in the book.  Now granted....I'm talking about meatheads in the gym.  I haven't met with my trainer yet so have a feeling she will do the same BUT it came up b/c I've been asked if I wanted a post workout protein shake.  I said "no" and that I really miss them.  (mistake number one...but man I miss my chocolate/banana/peanut butter!)  My one friend was actually helpful and told me what he used to do with potatoes and ideas for breakfast hash etc.  The other guy today went on & on about how by eliminating these foods for 30 days I'm really messing with my metabolism & my body is going to go nuts putting on weight when I'm done.  Great.  NOT what I needed to hear.  I had no doubts as of noon today and now I'm questioning the program.  

You see, having an unhealthy history with diets I am really not supposed to restrict myself & am really supposed to follow my hunger.  (negative past with dieting) I am struggling b/c I am really not that hungry at my meals enough to eat a ton.  Every day I can barely eat all of my breakfast (saving coffee for after) but I make myself and today at lunch I felt like I had a hearty bowl of spaghetti squash with meat sauce, watermelon after, but by 4:00 I was starving.  Eating only when hungry/stopping when full is part of me.  B/c I workout I've always eaten something small every 2-3 hours.  I'm always eating compliant snacks but granted it is sometimes a Lara Bar or nuts (in the car a lot).

After posting this I found this thread.  Oh my gosh did I need that.  Such good stuff on this forum....just haven't had time to look at it all (because all I do is cook!)   And most importantly I had the best meal.  Posted it under recipes.  Crockpot Pot Roast.  Whole family gave it an A+.  Thanks for listening.  :-)

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/30251-naysayers/

I've been reading "It Starts With Food" and find the "sciencey" chapter on hormones and their relationship to hunger very interesting. One thing I've noted is that I'm both energetic and hungry in the morning - a real switch from when I used to make lunch my first meal of the day. Also gives some good insight on why snacking messes with metabolism. Excellent reading for anyone who really wants to understand the "why" behind how all this works.

I just say I'm working on eating healthier when someone offers me a sweet or makes comments about my lunches.  I know if I said, "I'm doing the Whole30" people would follow it up with more questions and then responses like "OMG I could NEVER give up peanut butter/cheese/bread, etc." and I just don't have the energy for it lol.  I'm not lying- this is eating healthy  ;)

Hi all,

I'm new to joining this thread. I sort of started whole 30 on sept 5 in that I was having compliant foods but not sticking to the meal template. Ie lots of snacking on fruit/nuts/nut butter which I realise is food with no breaks for me! I am currently breastfeeding a 7 month old and have a 3 and 5 yr old. Reasons I am doing whole 30: past hormonal imbalances, yo yo dieting, emotional eater, taming the sugar dragon, lack energy and the list goes on. I had quite a good diet already however a bit of reliance on protein powders and always snacking/craving. I have started again on September 14. I am eating at higher end of the template with 3 egg breakfasts, heaps of veg and and fruit w each meal. Some things I have found have helped me so far: having a large sweet potato w at least 2-3 meals. Also lots of avocados -usually 1 whole per meal and a fair bit of coconut. I am also limiting nuts. I am hoping to learn how to recognise my hunger cues and eat the right amount for maximum health and energy. I have not told anyone I am doing whole 30 as I want to see if I can stick to it and see benefits first.

I was also going to mention I am having four meals due to breastfeeding and being so used to eating frequently. Any other breastfeeding mums in this thread ?

I'm breastfeeding my 9 month old! I feel like I've had to eat on the higher end of the template also and usually end up with four meals, too.

I was also going to mention I am having four meals due to breastfeeding and being so used to eating frequently. Any other breastfeeding mums in this thread ?

If you're nursing it's perfectly acceptable to eat four meals a day - and be sure to up your water intake - the recommendation is for half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, but you may well need more.

Onto day 5 for me on this sunny autumn morning in the UK. Have been feeling tired this week but have slept well and starting to feel a little more energetic today.

Not finding too many nay-sayers around me as Whole30 not widely known/talked about in the UK - my family are being supportive and as long as I can mainly avoid eating out at restaurants I can usually manage to 'cobble together' a compliant meal whilst out or at home. We have friends coming over for afternoon tea tomorrow which will be a bit of a test - I need to give some thought to how I'm going to manage that. We had friends over on Sunday last week before I started this whole30 round and I ended up having a piece of cake with everyone else JUST BECAUSE I didn't want to explain to those particular friends what I was doing. Will need to take a different attitude tomorrow as don't want to throw this on what will be day 6!

Hope everyone has a good day 5.

Onto day 5 for me on this sunny autumn morning in the UK. Have been feeling tired this week but have slept well and starting to feel a little more energetic today.

Not finding too many nay-sayers around me as Whole30 not widely known/talked about in the UK - my family are being supportive and as long as I can mainly avoid eating out at restaurants I can usually manage to 'cobble together' a compliant meal whilst out or at home. We have friends coming over for afternoon tea tomorrow which will be a bit of a test - I need to give some thought to how I'm going to manage that. We had friends over on Sunday last week before I started this whole30 round and I ended up having a piece of cake with everyone else JUST BECAUSE I didn't want to explain to those particular friends what I was doing. Will need to take a different attitude tomorrow as don't want to throw this on what will be day 6!

Hope everyone has a good day 5.

Hey honey,

Day 5 in the UK for me too :) I only found out about it through a friend who has done one.  Everyone has been really nice and interested when they're asking what I'm up to and they're waiting for my results to see whether they want to too.  I'm weirdly not missing too much at the moment but would love a beer when I go out with friends tonight but will make do with a sparkling water and lime.

I was up until 2am last night finishing a test wedding dress for my friend to try on tonight.  I had to be up at 8am for work and although I was a bit woolly initially as soon as I had my breakfast I felt fine.  I would expect to be feeling really tired at work but I don't.  Hoping it's a good sign. 

Happy day 5 all :)

Thx mink_deville - that reads like the emergence of tiger blood! hope the wedding dress looks amazing.

I LOVE the whole thing about Whole30. The process, the results, the mind shift and the 'new eyes' on old situations. It has given me a very strong internal code/mechanism to work to as far as food is concerned and I've found that hugely useful. The results are very clear in me and I can't believe more people here in the UK don't know about or rave about it. There are a couple of UK based Bloggers who have experience of Whole30 and I found v useful to read their posts when I did my first one I'll find them and post them as one of them has a UK based shopping list as I don't think all the things I read about on the forum have UK equivalents. The different names I have had to look up include cilantro, kombucha and arugula amongst other things - coriander, no UK equivalent and rocket have been my answers! Still haven't got my head round how big a 'cup' is in recipes, though.

This forum and everyone's support, help and items they share are a huge part of what helps to keep me going. That and the upswing in energy this way of life can generate. Thanks to all who post here - it really helps.

I haven't experienced naysayers, but can see how people that think their way's the only way could try to make you feel like you're messing up. I work hard not to call this a diet, especially around the kids. I grew up with a dieting mom and don't like that word. I feel this is more of an eating plan, because I'm certainly not eating less (my husband looked at my breakfast this morning and swore, lol). 

I'm also grateful to have support here. This is my second whole30, but certainly not my second attempt. Every other time I failed within a few days and after looking back at what made my successful one work was coming onto the forum. 

I'm wondering if anyone uses essential oils. I've just started and mixed up a blend that's supposed to give me energy and brought a roller bottle to work with me today. Hopefully it'll pep me up. Just wondering if anyone else has experience using them.

Happy Friday!

Thx mink_deville - that reads like the emergence of tiger blood! hope the wedding dress looks amazing.

I LOVE the whole thing about Whole30. The process, the results, the mind shift and the 'new eyes' on old situations. It has given me a very strong internal code/mechanism to work to as far as food is concerned and I've found that hugely useful. The results are very clear in me and I can't believe more people here in the UK don't know about or rave about it. There are a couple of UK based Bloggers who have experience of Whole30 and I found v useful to read their posts when I did my first one I'll find them and post them as one of them has a UK based shopping list as I don't think all the things I read about on the forum have UK equivalents. The different names I have had to look up include cilantro, kombucha and arugula amongst other things - coriander, no UK equivalent and rocket have been my answers! Still haven't got my head round how big a 'cup' is in recipes, though.

This forum and everyone's support, help and items they share are a huge part of what helps to keep me going. That and the upswing in energy this way of life can generate. Thanks to all who post here - it really helps.

Here's a handy little converter.

Whole30 is pretty widely known within the Crossfit & PT community here in Ireland - I assume it's the same on the mainland...

Archived