Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

Here's a handy little converter.

Whole30 is pretty widely known within the Crossfit & PT community here in Ireland - I assume it's the same on the mainland...

Thanks jmcbn - that's helpful.

I expect that within some communities within the UK it is pretty well known but just not amongst the people I know or within the things I read.  (Paleo not a hugely used term here either(.  I read Laura Vanderkam's US blog on a daily basis and read a reference to it in there and Google helped with the rest….delighted to have found it.   

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy day 5 everyone! I slept horribly last night, couldn't fall asleep and tossed and turned all night. Surprisingly I feel very alert this morning. Usually, even with a good night's sleep, I feel heavy and groggy in the morning. Not sure if it's just a coincidence or Whole30 related, but I'll take it! 

I'm also grateful to have support here. This is my second whole30, but certainly not my second attempt. Every other time I failed within a few days and after looking back at what made my successful one work was coming onto the forum. 

Also my second Whole30, but definitely far from my second attempt. Glad to hear the forums helped you in the past! I'm really hoping that being active here will help me see this Whole30 through!

I also haven't encountered any naysayers yet, but we're going to a small party tonight so I think this will be the real test. We're planning on bringing a compliant dish and appetizer. Any other advice? Do you think we should eat a small meal before hand in case the main food isn't compliant?

I also haven't encountered any naysayers yet, but we're going to a small party tonight so I think this will be the real test. We're planning on bringing a compliant dish and appetizer. Any other advice? Do you think we should eat a small meal before hand in case the main food isn't compliant?

Yes. :) When someone else is preparing the food (especially in someone's home at a party), you can't be assured of having compliant food available. If what you're bringing isn't going to be enough for a meal for you, then absolutely eat something compliant beforehand.

Plan to drink lots of water or sparking water at the party, and enjoy yourself.

Happy day 5 and TGIF!

Feeling a lot better today and actually have some appetite for lunch which I'll be eating in 20 minutes or so. I'm being very aware of drinking a lot of water so that has helped tremendously in this process.

A couple thoughts on this being my second Whole30. First time around I read the book and went from there. This time i decided to join these forums and WHAT A HELP. Not only is the support great but I have learned so much more from the vets. For example, nuts are fat not protein and should be limited. I'm sure the book mentioned it but to hear people say HOW limited made me decide to completely cut them out aside from some almond butter with apples because I can overindulge way too easily. Last round, I ate them freely.

The importance of eating 3 large meals a day has really changed my eating this time. I have had no snacks and have done FINE without them. It has also made me focus on getting what I need in each meal: enough protein, lots of veggies, and some sort of fat.

I am so grateful I have this forum this time around to help me and I so wish I had done it the first time around.

This forum rocks.

Day 5 is going well so far, and I'm getting accustomed to spending more time in the morning prepping breakfast and lunch. It's nice having a hot breakfast every day. I haven't run into any naysayers yet. I had my annual physical exam yesterday and told my doctor about Whole30. She'd never heard of it, but she had heard of paleo and was very supportive.

I'm meeting some relatives at Denny's on Sunday (ugh--but restaurant choices are limited where they live).  I plan to eat a big breakfast beforehand and just join them for coffee.

DAY 5!  

I've tried before and have never made it to day 5, so I'm excited.  Also a little worried about the weekend.  Need a plan.  Work is kind of easy.  I leave the house before the kids are up, so I'm not tempted by their breakfast.  Lunch on my own.  Dinner is the only meal to navigate and we're always pretty scripted on weekdays.  Weekends are a little more free-for-all.  When I'm hungry and out of patience is where I cave...and we have a Sunday morning waffle family tradition.  If anyone has some compliant waffles (I know..not supposed to replace the old stuff with paleo-ed stuff..but it's a family tradition!!) I'd be all ears.  

Still no headaches or yucky feelings.  Yay!..and black coffee isn't so bad....

oh..and found a new Starbucks drink..somewhere in the forums, but not going to reference, primarily out of laziness (!) (though originator, I do love you.):

Grande Chai tea (with tea bags, not latte sugar laden mix stuff) with a shot of espresso and a dash of cinnamon.

Not a latte..but wonderful.

Wow, what a busy board. 

Happy Day 5 and TGIF to y'all.

I finally did as recommended and had my Meal 1 an hour after waking.  I typically get up around 530-6 and eat Meal 1 at work around 9 AM. 

And, I had leftover salmon, potatoes and veggies and it was DELISH.  My taste/mindset is changing about breakfast-y types of food, I suppose.

I am glad to hear that others are feeling the meal plan for week one is pretty grueling as far as prep/etc.  I am glad I did it, but look foward to creating my own meal plan for week 2.  And, thanks to y'all and this site I will be well prepared. 

I have to say, I am VERY impressed with the site (not as high tech as WW), and the boards and the moderators helping out with suggestions.  And, it's FREE!!! WOW. 

OH, I forgot to mention that I did have a rough evening on Day 3 wanted to KILL.ALL.THINGS.  Hubs was NOT STOKED that evening.  OH well.....

Meal 2 time, ttyl!

I too, had trouble with sleep last night. Mainly, with falling asleep..the night before too. I'm wondering if it was because I had an extra 4th "mini-meal" too soon before bedtime? Today I plan to eat larger meals. We'll see if it helps..

Also, in regards to someone's comment on essential oils. I just took a class on them and am now intrigued. Mostly, I'm wondering if they will help with my annoying skin flare ups. Though, at the same time, I'm hesitant with not knowing whether any changes (hopefully, I'll have changes for the better!) would be a result of Whole30 or the essential oils.

Has anyone experienced positive skin results using essential oils, and if so with which ones and how were they used?

Hi All! Only Day 2 for me but feeling much better than yesterday already. 

Re. the naysayers talk -- that brought me down a lot on my first W30 round, especially the criticisms from family, etc. I definitely let it get to me more than it should -- now I would like to think I'm a pro at letting things roll of my back and just focus on feeling good. I also had issues with dieting in the past but anyone who does this program knows that it's not a diet, if you do it the right way. 

Eating a ton of green veggies and fruit today, but still a little 1st trimester nauseous at the thought of meat /fish/eggs. Gargh. I do eat a little but then literally want to throw up. Hoping this will go away maybe as I get re-acclimated to the program and pregnancy progresses. Any ideas anyone??? 

PS this board is the BEST. Love the enthusiasm, it's contagious! 

My coworkers just brought out the chips and black bean/corn salsa.

I am having some warmed sweet potato with walnuts and pumpkin spice with my salad.  Not missing a THING!  This is delish.  OH and some spiced tea, feels like fall!!!

I had a couple of sweets that were starting to get a little wrinkled so I baked them then peeled them and put em in the fridge, I figured I'd find a way to use them and WOW did I!

Hope it's compliant, can't figure out why it wouldn't be!

Hi All! Only Day 2 for me but feeling much better than yesterday already. 

Re. the naysayers talk -- that brought me down a lot on my first W30 round, especially the criticisms from family, etc. I definitely let it get to me more than it should -- now I would like to think I'm a pro at letting things roll of my back and just focus on feeling good. I also had issues with dieting in the past but anyone who does this program knows that it's not a diet, if you do it the right way. 

Eating a ton of green veggies and fruit today, but still a little 1st trimester nauseous at the thought of meat /fish/eggs. Gargh. I do eat a little but then literally want to throw up. Hoping this will go away maybe as I get re-acclimated to the program and pregnancy progresses. Any ideas anyone??? 

PS this board is the BEST. Love the enthusiasm, it's contagious! 

When I was pregnant my midwife swore that focusing on fat and protein would help with the nausea. I remember feeling very put off by meat for a long time. I never really followed her advice, I was eating nothing but saltines and fruit for a few weeks, but now that I know about whole30 I can't help but wonder if eating this way would have helped more. I think it's so awesome that you're doing whole30 during your first trimester! Are you eating frequently? I know the rules about avoiding snacking are different for pregnancy and nursing. Avoiding feeling too hungry helped me manage the nausea a lot better. I hope you feel better soon!

Major positives today: I didn't even finish my first cup of coffee and felt great energy wise (usually I don't feel like a human until my second cup). I also bumped up to 3 eggs at breakfast and felt so much more satiated. I don't know why I waited so long! I think I had this leftover dieting mentality that eating more than 2 eggs was totally taboo. It feels like a huge victory to push past that old diet mentality. 

If anyone has some compliant waffles (I know..not supposed to replace the old stuff with paleo-ed stuff..but it's a family tradition!!) I'd be all ears.  

Yeah, unfortunately there is no such thing as compliant waffles on a Whole30: waffles, pancakes, etc., even made with compliant ingredients, are against the rules.

I encourage you to use the Whole30 to create some new traditions, or at least try something different for the Sundays on which your Whole30 falls: it's only 30 days.

Forgot my lunch today - and it was a good one. I did one of the "well fed" hot plates with assorted vegs: broccoli, cauliflower, roasted pepper and eggplant, some zucchini, spaghetti squash topped with chicken, ground lamb and olive oil. Had to stop at supermarket and do their salad bar with hard boiled eggs. Happy to see they actually had the oil and vinegar in original bottles so I could read the labels. Happy that I didn't let feeling bummed derail me. And happy that now I have a pre-made supper that I've looked forward to ever since I realized I left it home!

I am just wondering if there are any substitutes for gum or mints? I work retail and after awhile my breath gets stale ?  Also, is this the thread everyone from the Start date of Sept. 14th is using or are people joining a private face book page?  Not sure how the private facebook page works.   Thanks

I am just wondering if there are any substitutes for gum or mints? I work retail and after awhile my breath gets stale ? 

Lots of alternatives previously discussed here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13536-gum-or-mints-alternative/

Easiest way to search the forum is from Google. Type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for, and you'll get links to past discussion threads.

Also, is this the thread everyone from the Start date of Sept. 14th is using or are people joining a private face book page?  Not sure how the private facebook page works.   Thanks

We decided against the Facebook page b/c everyone seems to like the forums and veterans can give advice here.  There are a couple of 9/14 threads but this one seems to be used the most and is going very well.  Lots of input and knowledge-sharing.  Welcome!

My coworkers just brought out the chips and black bean/corn salsa.

I am having some warmed sweet potato with walnuts and pumpkin spice with my salad.  Not missing a THING!  This is delish.  OH and some spiced tea, feels like fall!!!

I had a couple of sweets that were starting to get a little wrinkled so I baked them then peeled them and put em in the fridge, I figured I'd find a way to use them and WOW did I!

Hope it's compliant, can't figure out why it wouldn't be!

Good work Lisa!  I took a photo of where I was today but it would be too cruel to post here.  I have been promising the kids for months I would take them to the fancy cupcake shop where they have every kind of gourmet cupcake you can imagine.  After school treat.  I was in a car with half a dozen cupcakes.....not all of them eaten.  I'm very proud of myself.  I'm not missing sugar ONE BIT (I know, give it time) and the frosting looked so gross.

(and I know, any great Paleo mom wouldn't even take their kids to a cupcake shop.  Mine eat healthy most of the time & are allowed to break out once in a while.:)

When you eat out, what do you mostly order? Today, my choices were a baked potato or a chef salad....in which I forgot to say leave the cheese off. So here I am scraping the top of the salad into another bowl, digging on the bottom for clean lettuce ( also shaking the turkey off). This part will be difficult....one surprising thing is I really don't want the other foods, but I need to find something I can eat.

When you eat out, what do you mostly order? Today, my choices were a baked potato or a chef salad....in which I forgot to say leave the cheese off. So here I am scraping the top of the salad into another bowl, digging on the bottom for clean lettuce ( also shaking the turkey off). This part will be difficult....one surprising thing is I really don't want the other foods, but I need to find something I can eat.

You're probably best to stick to grilled meat/fish, with plain salads (bring your own dressings), or steamed veg. You can always bring your own mayo/ghee etc to add to the veg for your fat - the little travel bottles you can buy for toiletries are handy for the oils, or just a small tupperware tub for the likes of mayo...

Whoa. Day 6 has hit me like a ton of bricks! I slept hard for about 8.5 hours last night and woke up this morning SO TIRED. I'm glad day 6 is falling on a Saturday because I am definitely going to take a nap today. Luckily I'm still feeling more alert and not as groggy as expected, I just don't think I'll be skipping my coffee today. This is only supposed to last for about 2 days right?

Last night I crashed as soon as I got home. I was roasting sweet potatoes and barely had the energy to flip them. Laid down for about an hour and got my energy and appetite back for a late dinner, then felt fine. I wondered if the crash was related to Whole30 adjustments, a head cold that I think is coming on, or low blood pressure (at my annual physical on Thursday BP was 100/70). I feel pretty good today, still a bit weak so I'm glad it's Saturday. A pot roast is in the crock pot (Whole30 recipe) so dinner will be a breeze.

Overall, I'm amazed at how good I feel. This is the first time in my life that I've stayed away from all grains, dairy, and sugar (artificial and otherwise) at the same time.

Hope everyone survived the first weekend Whole30 day.  I did just fine with food; water on the other hand was a struggle.  I caught myself going relatively long periods of time without drinking any.  I had lunch on the go today.  I took my 2 yo to see a Curious George appearance at a local mall and brought my salmon lunch.  Didn't smell the best but I stuck to the plan!  Also stopped by a block party tonight and passed on a beer, even though it looked quite appealing!

Archived