Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

So this morning I was SO TIRED and thought there was no way I'd make it through the day.. surprisingly I ended up having really even energy throughout the day! I ended up not even finishing my first cup of coffee (again!). I also felt like my mood was relatively stable all day long. I'm really hoping that I'm starting to come around from the grump stages of the first couple of days. Having consistent energy all day really felt amazing! 

I also had a really interesting experience this afternoon. While I was checking out from shopping I got an intense craving for a diet coke. I had never even realized my habit of grabbing a diet coke while checking out, but the more I thought about it the more I realized I had been grabbing one almost every time I went shopping. The craving only lasted about 5 minutes, but it was pretty intense. So crazy how these habits get ingrained. 

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking a lot of us were shopping today. I couldn't help but notice what I had in my cart and comparing to what everyone else had in theirs. Except for spice and oil, all of my time was spent in the fresh food section and my cart was missing all the boxes of pre-made food and mylar bags of snacks. Mine made me smile.

I am the same with the water I always have to make an extra effort to drink more!

If any of you are looking for a new recipe you should try the chocolate chili from ' the clothes that make the girl ' site. It's easy and amazing!

Also My favourite simple Lunch is tuna w paleo Mayo or avo mixed w olives, celery, cucumber, pepper, carrot and apple or grapes. Also if you eat nuts it's great with pecans.

On a different note my children have all had bad cradle cap. Since giving up dairy my 7 month olds cradle cap has completely disappeared!! :):)

Great daily email today with lots of items to really ponder going into week two.  Week one has taught me a lot about myself, and I'm pretty happy with where I've ended up thus far.  I'm the typical past chronic dieter that never stuck to anything so the fact that I've stuck to this new way of eating (I know, not diet:) still astonishes me.  So far I'm not bothered by what I can't have & what everyone else is eating around me.  I think my feeling way better trumps that.  I only hope that continues because it's what is keeping me going.

1.  I dreaded cooking before and actually don't feel put out like I used to in the kitchen.

2.  Spending way more $$$ in the grocery store but looking at what I saved my not going out to eat all week.  I even had a lady behind me in the checkout line quiz me about why I have so many fresh foods in my cart.  She was very intrigued & loved hearing about it.

3.  Had a blast at farmer's market.  Ok blast is a stretch but I tried so many new things.  Loving my new fresh peppers & the new salsa I found being made locally.

4.  Breakfast - ah, my favorite meal of the day but most challenging.  I don't like leftovers for bfast so am finding new recipes.  Luckily I still love eggs.  

5.  The family is loving the fact that I am always cooking and there is always fresh food in the house.  No complaints yet from the kids that their goldfish crackers & other unhealthy snacks have been magically disappearing.

6.  Cannot make lunches as it's too time-consuming.  Love this week's food plan much better with lots of leftovers to be able to reheat instantly.

7.  Cannot have nuts (specifically cashews) and Larabars in the house at all.  Looking forward to seeing how my body likes eliminating those this week.  Also considering dumping coffee.

Happy week two everyone!

Just got back from meeting relatives at Denny's. I'm surprised I wasn't more tempted, but I've never been a huge fan of pancakes. Glad no one ordered waffles though. That would have made it harder. I had eaten a big breakfast before leaving so I was happy with black coffee and water, and I took an emergency banana in case I ran into traffic on the way home.

I'm still surprised I'm not having any huge cravings yet--hope they're not saving themselves up to wallop me tomorrow morning!

This is the first day I actually had energy.  LOTS of it!  Went apple picking this morning, stopped by the store on the way home, cooked for and hour-and-a-half to prep for the week (including the breakfast casserole angledge posted a couple pages back), did an hour of cardio at the gym, came home and went to the park for a little bit with my 2 yo, finished up some laundry, gave my daughter a bath, made my lunch and FINALLY sitting on the couch.  I didn't feel the need for  a nap today and I got so much done.

Bring on week 2!

Hello fellow threadies: I am afraid I am going to have to bow out of this Whole30. I am an environmental engineer & I travel for work, sometimes unexpectedly. Well, today finds me in Bismarck, ND. Tomorrow I'm heading for a small town in western ND & I will be working there for the next 2-3 weeks. Living in a hotel with no kitchen, very few restaurants, & long hours in the field.... I'm just gonna bow out here & try again some other time.

Best of luck to you all going forward!

Hi Meg and everyone else along on this whole 30!

It's helpful to have these forums when you can't get close friends /family to join in.

Feel free to vent and message with whatever. It's always good to hear how it's going for everyone else.

This is my third one. I've been trying to get this third one completed for quite some time though. I have started several times and never completed, but I am all in this time and decided to join here for extra help.

The whole 30 has helped me mentally and physically so much! It's just amazing.

Anyway... Meal 1: compliant sausage links from Costco, with a fried egg. A bell pepper and an apple. Oh and black coffee too!!

Meal 2: Taco salad: lettuce, tomato, onion, pepper, olives, taco meat, avocado dressing

Meal 3: thinly sliced baked potatoes, broccoli salad (broccoli, bacon, sunflower seeds, onion, raisins, homemade olive oil mayo) with decaf coffee ☕ YUM!!

I just want to say that the sausage I got from Costco(Jones dairy farm sausage) is actually not compliant. :(

Disappointing, but oh well! I thought for sure it was. I just looked at the ingredients and the last one is sugar. I'll have to make my own pork breakfast sausage.

Thought I'd add this in case anyone went to Costco looking for compliant breakfast sausage!

Janet- your broccoli salad sounds so good. I love the regular recipe, but only make it at the holidays. I'm going to try yours.

As I mentioned earlier eating out will be my challenge. Friday night we ate out and I ordered a chef salad, but forgot to say skip the cheese, so I scraped as much off as I could and only ate the underneath lettuce and toppings.

Last night we had take home pizza. I had baked spicy chicken wings, with the skin mostly pulled off- no pizza.

Today was our town's pancake brunch. I had two boiled eggs at home with a cup of watermelon. Then once there, I just had two sausage patties. They are freshly made at a butcher store.

So I tried.... Thought I did pretty good.

Thx mink_deville - that reads like the emergence of tiger blood! hope the wedding dress looks amazing.

I LOVE the whole thing about Whole30. The process, the results, the mind shift and the 'new eyes' on old situations. It has given me a very strong internal code/mechanism to work to as far as food is concerned and I've found that hugely useful. The results are very clear in me and I can't believe more people here in the UK don't know about or rave about it. There are a couple of UK based Bloggers who have experience of Whole30 and I found v useful to read their posts when I did my first one I'll find them and post them as one of them has a UK based shopping list as I don't think all the things I read about on the forum have UK equivalents. The different names I have had to look up include cilantro, kombucha and arugula amongst other things - coriander, no UK equivalent and rocket have been my answers! Still haven't got my head round how big a 'cup' is in recipes, though.

This forum and everyone's support, help and items they share are a huge part of what helps to keep me going. That and the upswing in energy this way of life can generate. Thanks to all who post here - it really helps.

This is is so helpful thanks :)

I've taken a cup to be  the ones I use for baking.  I've got a set of 6 measuring cups and they seem to be doing the trick.  Though like you I work in grams and centrigrade :) but I love the name scallions for spring onions.  Makes them sound so exotic :)

Sorry to see you go, angledge... safe travels!

Happy week 2 everyone! It sounds like everyone's doing pretty well. I'm proud to have stuck with things. Saturday was my kill all things day. I'm surprised my family is still talking to me, those poor people, lol. I felt much better yesterday and went for 4 mile run before a 10 mile bike ride with my family. No tiger blood yet, but at least I 1) don't want to kill anyone and 2) feel reasonably rested.

So, what's on everyone's menu this week? I didn't do a great job of planning, but thankfully have a freezer full of meat to rely on.

Woohoo, Day 8!

The weekend went relatively smoothly.  A few key planned meals made things work.  I did have pretty terrible stomach cramping yesterday.  Maybe due to nuts?  I did have some on Friday and some on Saturday.  Anyway, cutting those out and seeing if that fixes the issue..or maybe it was just my body doing its thing with the new diet?  I need to search the forums.  I really really really wanted a latte, but resisted and got the chia tea thing I mentioned a few posts ago.  Whew.  

Oh, I'm not a great egg eater, but managed a few hard boiled last week.  I scrambled 3 this morning and could. not. get. them. down.  Weird..who knew I was such a food headcase?  It was totally bizarre.  I guess bacon salad is more my breakfast style...lesson learned.  

Thanks for listening, little forum.  You keep me going! :)

Woohoo, Day 8!

The weekend went relatively smoothly.  A few key planned meals made things work.  I did have pretty terrible stomach cramping yesterday.  Maybe due to nuts?  I did have some on Friday and some on Saturday.  Anyway, cutting those out and seeing if that fixes the issue..or maybe it was just my body doing its thing with the new diet?  I need to search the forums.  I really really really wanted a latte, but resisted and got the chia tea thing I mentioned a few posts ago.  Whew.  

Oh, I'm not a great egg eater, but managed a few hard boiled last week.  I scrambled 3 this morning and could. not. get. them. down.  Weird..who knew I was such a food headcase?  It was totally bizarre.  I guess bacon salad is more my breakfast style...lesson learned.  

Thanks for listening, little forum.  You keep me going! :)

Hopefully I can save you some search time as I spent a great deal of time on this yesterday.  Oh my gosh my stomach cramping.  It was awful yesterday.  So bad that I just couldn't eat dinner.  Did some process of elimination and reading posts online I decided I definitely cannot do Larabars whatsoever (allowed myself the last one purchased and just wasn't going to buy more).  If you aren't eating those, nuts could definitely be the culprit - specifically cashews cause people problem.  I had this issue Thursday and thought it was either potatoes or nuts.  But I eliminated those and figured out it was the Larabar.  Many others online have had this issue with them too.

My main struggle with breakfast is eating veggies for breakfast.  I just want my plan scrambled eggs.  Very sicks of spinach, mushrooms, onions, etc. in them.

Happy day!

Janet- your broccoli salad sounds so good. I love the regular recipe, but only make it at the holidays. I'm going to try yours.

As I mentioned earlier eating out will be my challenge. Friday night we ate out and I ordered a chef salad, but forgot to say skip the cheese, so I scraped as much off as I could and only ate the underneath lettuce and toppings.

Last night we had take home pizza. I had baked spicy chicken wings, with the skin mostly pulled off- no pizza.

Today was our town's pancake brunch. I had two boiled eggs at home with a cup of watermelon. Then once there, I just had two sausage patties. They are freshly made at a butcher store.

So I tried.... Thought I did pretty good.

I think you did great!  Keep the chicken skin, though.  It's amazing!

Hopefully I can save you some search time as I spent a great deal of time on this yesterday.  Oh my gosh my stomach cramping.  It was awful yesterday.  So bad that I just couldn't eat dinner.  Did some process of elimination and reading posts online I decided I definitely cannot do Larabars whatsoever (allowed myself the last one purchased and just wasn't going to buy more).  If you aren't eating those, nuts could definitely be the culprit - specifically cashews cause people problem.  I had this issue Thursday and thought it was either potatoes or nuts.  But I eliminated those and figured out it was the Larabar.  Many others online have had this issue with them too.

My main struggle with breakfast is eating veggies for breakfast.  I just want my plan scrambled eggs.  Very sicks of spinach, mushrooms, onions, etc. in them.

Happy day!

Thanks so much!  It was cashews I was eating!  Must be it..but they taste soo good.  Ugh.  

I'm planning to make a couple pounds of "perfect grilled chicken" tonight and throw it into salads during the week. I also want to try the kale/sausage recipe for breakfast. I don't like eggs so I'm always looking for eggless breakfast ideas and that sounds like a good one.

One of the main reasons I'm doing Whole30 is for digestive distress. Not cramping so much as pain caused by sluggish digestion. Nothing has upset my stomach yet but I notice that I have less of an appetite, especially for dinner. Last night I forced myself to heat up leftover pot roast and veggies. Once I started eating I got into it and it was delicious, but it's weird for me not to be hungry. Interesting journey.

Happy Week 2 everyone. Yay us.

Hello all, I am struggling hard today!!! Had some really sad news at work (a co-worker passed away... by choice)!

Not going to lie my first thought was to go eat crappy food and to drink a coke, I just felt like i needed it!

I haven't... small victories... but what’s everyone do when they are just feeling down and would rather sit on the couch cry and eat ice-cream... or not eat at all... I have both feelings rolling around in my head right now...

Thanks in advance for the support!

Archived