Years of habits took me longer then 30 days to resolve - Now ready for re-intro

claws

September 6th marked day 190 on the Whole30 plan.  I extended, not because I was afraid to "ride my own bicycle" but because I was still having sugar cravings, sleep deprivation, and other ongoing medical conditions.

I arrived at the "I just want to take a nap" timeline, two days early and stayed there for more then 20 days.  On day 12, while in the world wind of "I just want to take a nap", I went into the "kill all things mode" and on day 13, my face started breaking out instead of the "gradually improving mode".

One of my goals at the end of the Whole30 was to become the "strongest, most awesome version of me" and today, I believe I have succeed.  It took me more then 90 days but I finally conquered the "Sugar Demon".  I no longer have cravings for movie theater popcorn, chocolate covered donuts, glazed donuts, Heinz ketchup, or tea with cream and honey in it. All cravings appear to have gone dormant and I am able to make decisions based on rational thinking instead of emotions.

I've been having issues though with what to reintroduce since I'm not missing any particular foods/drinks. I just don't feel the need to reintroduce anything. I thought about doing a Conservative Whole30 Reintro instead of the 10 day one; but, I am not sure if that's the way I should go.  I have a conference coming up at the end of September and in one sense it would be nice to not have to be so particular with my food choices.  

One thing that I do believe is that either sugar or chocolate breaks me out. I will test sugar on it's own and if I don't break out then I will conclude that chocolate is the culprit.

If I do decide on the 10 day reintro phase it would look like the below.....All comments, advice welcomed..........

Side Note:  I will not be introducing any gluten containing items unless under the strict guidance of a medical professional because every time I eat those types of foods, I end up with severe abdominal pain, followed by nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea for days on end.

Day 1 Sugar

• Candy Apple
  • Cotton Candy
  • Candied Yams (made up of Sweet potatoes, brown sugar, glee, nutmeg, cinnamon)

Day 4 Legumes

• Refried Beans (Pinto Beans)
  • Peanut Butter
  • Haven't decided - any suggestions?

Day 7 Non-gluten Grains

• Fritos
  • Popcorn sprinkled with Nutritional Yeast Flakes    
  • Grits or White Rice

Day 10 Dairy

• Grilled Portabello Omelette with Cheese     
  • Yogurt FF Plain Sugar Free
  • Baked Potato with Sour Cream

Day 13 Alcohol (I actually don't drink alcohol but pre Whole30 I would cook with it.)

• Vanilla flavored Almond Milk
  • Coq Au Vin Chicken
  • Haven't decided - any suggestions?

Honestly? You've spent 190 days squashing your sugar cravings, and you're planning to spend the first day of the rest of your life eating cotton candy and candy apples??I'm no moderator but I think this is an exceptionally bad idea. You'll be right back to square one with that sugar addiction. Sugar is practically unavoidable, it's in your vanilla almond milk and your alcohol for a start off. Absolutely no need to send yourself into a sugar coma to evaluate your reaction to it.

I'd agree with Hannlib... you could do something as simple as having a sauce that has added sugar, some kind of pork with sugar/honey used in the curing process, or some smoked salmon again with added sugar. The amount of sugar you are currently planning for after 190 days of being sugar free will send you in a tail spin which will undoubtedly effect your food choices & your emotions for the rest of the day (& then some...!!).

Baby steps....

A third option for your legumes could be hummous.

A third option for your recipes containing alcohol could be Beef Stifado - this one uses cognac & red wine, but there are a few variations out there using just red wine.

"Baby Steps" got it..... 

To be really honest, if you don't want to go back to craving things like cotton candy & candy apples.....  You simply DON'T eat them.  You just don't.

I know you feel on top of the world right now and it's hard to imagine, but those old habits can creep back in super fast...  And sometimes they don't even creep.  They just bust your door down and announce, "HERE I AM!  DEAL WITH ME!"

I've messed up my re-intro....

I re-introduced Dairy on Monday (no issues whatsoever Smiley Face :D ).....

Went back to Whole30 eating on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Today, Thursday 9/10/2015 it was my intent to re-introduce Non-gluten Grains  but I've ended up unintentionally re-introducing 2 groups instead:  Rice and Beans (i.e. garbanzo, fava, sorghum) all in the form of flours.

Within 20 minutes of eating I became grody (i.e. yucky) and super sleepy and tummy began to feel whoosy.

Within 40 minutes loose stools (Sorry everyone) and a lump formed in my throat.

Not sure if its the rice flour or the bean flours that caused the issue......

My question is: do  I continue with introducing  Non-gluten Grains into my remaining two meals for today or do I switch to "beans" or do I count this as a wash and go back to eating Whole30 for the final two meals today, tomorrow and Saturday and try re-introducing Non-gluten Grains on Monday the correct way......

One lesson learned today..... Don't listen to people who say "its gluten free and vegan" and think that you'll be okay.....Especially those who haven't done a Whole30 and who have "so so" eating habits.....

Also suggestions welcomed on what to drink or take to settle my tummy....At work just trying to get through the rest of the day.

If it were me I'd scrap it and go back to Whole30 until I was feeling 'normal' and then try again...

As for your tummy for the here & now do you have bone broth, or some ginger tea?

Ginger tea should help your tummy. that or peppermint.

If it were me I'd scrap it and go back to Whole30 until I was feeling 'normal' and then try again...

As for your tummy for the here & now do you have bone broth, or some ginger tea?

I don't have either one; but "Trader Joe's is right down the street... Going to head there to see if I can find some ginger tea or peppermint tea.  

Taking jmcbn's and 

Brewer5's

advice and scrapping today and going back to Whole30 until normal sets in.

Thanks

Hello there fellow comrades....

I am finally back on the Re-intro road...  :D

So, today Wednesday, 9/17/2015, I re-introduced Non-gluten Grains,  well actually one non-gluten grain. Tomorrow back to Whole 30......

Meal 1:

( I was so very hungry this morning, hence the large Meal1... Not sure if it had anything to do with my working out * 2 sessions (strength training @ 06:30 and cardio/strength training @ 09:00) yesterday. 

• Grits 
  • scrambled eggs (Whole 9 way) 
  • an omelette with spinach, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms
  • Chicken (Whole 9)
  • berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
  • one small slice of cantaloupe and one small slice of honeydew melon

​Outcome:  No issues

Meal 2:

• Fritos
  • Corn on the Cob
  • Whole 30 Paleo Enchilada Bake

​Outcome:  Attitude change.... I was grumpy.....

Meal 3:
  • Popcorn with olive oil, salt, and Nutritional Yeast Flakes

​Outcome:  Tummy pain shortly afterwards.... Feeling of gassy build-up, belching

What does this mean guys?

So yesterday I decided to see how the non-gluten grain of Rice would fair with me....

• No issues at any of the meals whatsoever....  Happy dance....

Boy, I am finding this Re-intro phase to be harder then the actual Whole30 process... Gee Whiz..

Today (Monday and Tuesday) back to Whole30 ROCK ON.......

•  
  •  

Good grief, I hear you on that. It wasn't until I started re-intro that I discovered I have some other issue that's preventing me from being stable enough to DO re-intros. I am doing a rice re-intro day today too. :)

I'm glad you had a good experience. One thing to bear in mind is that white rice is a different creature than brown rice. If you only reintrod white rice today and feel great, you may still find brown rice irritates you. I'm doing only white rice because I prefer it and will always choose it over brown, given the option. But I figure at some point I'll want to check out brown as well, particularly since rice bran appears as an additive in some foods. :/ sigh

reintro is complicated, whole30 is easy

Thank you for this thoughtful & informative post! I have finished my 30 days, but am extending for a bit longer. As you said.... W30 is easy since the rules are black & white, but re-intro's take a bit more effort from the looks of it. Your posts are very helpful! Good luck!

Archived