Day 15

northwoodsmom8

Yesterday was my 2 week mark.  This holiday weekend my family had a big cookout--Brats, potato salad, baked beans, grilled corn on the cob.  So I had compliant grilled hot dog over a bed of greens with brown mustard, baked sweet potato fries, and roasted cauliflower!  Mmmmm!

post-77320-0-33717900-1441710747_thumb.j

So I decided that, even though I have a host of health challenges, I will only focus on the Whole30 journey for now, and leave the candida and pre-diabetes issues for later.  Some have commented that their pre-diabetes disappeared just from embracing a Whole30 way of eating [i'm still new at all the lingo, but I assume after the 30 days that a maintenance is called something else???].  It's taken a lot of stress off of me and I'm enjoying the journey much more now!

• Administrators

If I understand the book correctly, we can't make chips or fries from our vegetables or potatoes.

Sort of. You cannot DEEP FRY chips or fries at home nor eat any sort of commercially prepared chip or fry. Cutting potatoes into a wedge shape, baking them and then calling them "fries" is fine.

No problem, @northwoodsmom8! My close friend is fighting off Candida right now and is following a candida diet. Her experience with both the diet and the die-off symptoms are very similar to what I felt through my first Whole30. Through our diets and adventures with new foods, we have found a solid support system with one another. The biggest difference, and what you will overcome by focusing on the Whole30, is that she is still looking forward to paleofying foods or replacing comfort foods with less unhealthy versions. The Whole30 helped me break up with foods and habits that weren't adding to a well nourished life whereas the candida diet doesn't focus on that aspect of eating. I can't say enough good things about the Whole30 experience and I am proud of you for choosing to focus on this in order to heal yourself!

subtlyvalerie--You do NOT know how much I needed to read these words, as I've been vacillating on the candida diet or the Whole30 diet.  Thank you for confirming!  Today is day 16 for me and I had planned to do the whole 30 days and then go into the Candida diet, but I feel this may be my sign to do 3-4 rounds of Whole 30.  Still not 100% sure but your post definitely encouraged me to rethink things!

Archived