Hello All,

I originally got into Whole30 because I have been struggling with IBS-C for 10 years, and Whole30 did not necessarily provide me the relief I was hoping for. However, it did open my eyes to what my underlying issue is, which I am ever thankful for.

After a few days of following the Whole 30 diet, I was in so much pain. I was bloated, gasy, and so full that I could not even put my pants or shorts on because the band around the waist was digging into my stomach. Now, I ask myself how could this be, as I was only eating chicken, fruit, vegetables, and other "harmless" foods? No alcohol, beans,caffine, chocolate, soda, ect.

Then I realized my pain was coming from certain fruits and vegetables. I would put onions on my bun-less burger, have apples for breakfast, and have cauliflower and broccoli as a side for dinner entrees. It didn't make any sense that I was so bloated. It brought me back to a time when I was living in LA, and saw the "top" gastroenterologist in town. He told me I had IBS-C (thanks I knew) and we ran several tests. Vitamin deficiency, food sensitivity panel, fecal analysis ,blood tests, ect. Everything came back pretty normal, and he told me to 'eat more fiber and vegetables, and drink more water."I told the doctor that certain vegetables make my stomach worse ( brussel sprouts, broccoli, okra, cauliflower,) and still, he had no answer and sent me on my way to eat Bran cereal with milk for breakfast every morning. And this was also after my results of food panel came back saying I was off the charts sensitive to eggs, gluten, and dairy.

Now I'm not a medical doctor by any means but I came to realize it  is such a shame how western medicine, or at least in this case the "top" gastroenterologist in one of the biggest cities in the country could fail to help someone struggling with a serious medical issue such as constipation. I even told him I go up to 5 or 6 days without using the bathroom, and he just said "everyone is different". No, I'm sorry but that is NOT normal.

So thanks to Whole 30, I went the DIY natural route to help fix myself. It then lead me to stumble upon the Low Fodmap diet, which in clinical trials has shown to eliminate IBS symptoms and has a 75% success rate. I am now following a Low Fodmap Whole 30 diet and thank you GOD I have finally found the answer to my digestion! I urge everyone with IBS issues to get tested for Low Fodmap (Hyrdogen and Methane breathe testing) AND Candida. All tremendous resources if you have digestion issues.

I think it has been a miracle for me. I hope my message can help others out there suffering!

JackiNYC, your story sounds vey much like mine! I only recently realized I have IBS. Been constipated all my life, but without the random diarrhea until maybe 6mo ago. I haven't eaten gluten or dairy for years, but only a few months ago did I realize that my body does NOT like eggs, and any FODMAPS have to be eaten cooked very well done, and spaced apart, i.e. a few per week.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived