Starting September 14

StaceyF

I am a big coffee drinker - not lattes per se - but I found something wonderful.  I made a batch of homemade almond milk and one cashew milk that I put in my coffee each morning.  You could make your own lattes too.  It is devine!   Much creamier than the Silk brand etc.  And way easier to make than I thought.  Great recipe at ohsheglows.com  She adds two dates & vanilla bean to hers.  A little goes a long way also.

Yeah, this is probably pushing the boundaries a little....

Here's the official take on the whole date thing:

Coffee: Yes

Yes, you can have your coffee. You’re welcome. You can drink it black, add compliant coconut milk or home-made almond milk, or add cinnamon or vanilla beans to the brew.  But remember, Whole30 guidelines exclude milk, cream, non-compliant milk substitutes, and added sweeteners—including stevia (more on that below). For more of our recommendations regarding your coffee consumption, read our Coffee Manifesto.

Tip: Regarding “Paleo” coffee creamer… sigh. We know there’s a recipe out there where eggs, coconut milk, dates, and some voodoo magic are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can take the place of your cream and sugar (or Coffeemate) and once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. This is not okay–sugary creamer substitutes fall under the SWYPO rule. Instead, we’d encourage you to take a look at why you need this at all. Do you really like coffee, or are you drinking it for the hit of sugary flavor?

Yeah, this is probably pushing the boundaries a little....

Here's the official take on the whole date thing:

Coffee: Yes

Yes, you can have your coffee. You’re welcome. You can drink it black, add compliant coconut milk or home-made almond milk, or add cinnamon or vanilla beans to the brew.  But remember, Whole30 guidelines exclude milk, cream, non-compliant milk substitutes, and added sweeteners—including stevia (more on that below). For more of our recommendations regarding your coffee consumption, read our Coffee Manifesto.

Tip: Regarding “Paleo” coffee creamer… sigh. We know there’s a recipe out there where eggs, coconut milk, dates, and some voodoo magic are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can take the place of your cream and sugar (or Coffeemate) and once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. This is not okay–sugary creamer substitutes fall under the SWYPO rule. Instead, we’d encourage you to take a look at why you need this at all. Do you really like coffee, or are you drinking it for the hit of sugary flavor?

Yes, I kept this in mind but my take is.....it is two dates per entire batch of homemade almond milk.  I'm probably getting no more than 1/4 date per coffee.  Since they are allowed, I don't think that is bad.  When you consider it's a compliant food & look at how much better than anything else out there.  The only thing I haven't tried is pure coconut milk.  May try it this week.

Hi everyone, I also started on Sept. 14! Day 7 for me.  I had already cut out sugar - hadn't been eating it for about two months - but was still eating lots of grains and bread here and there.  Has anyone else been having a hard time waking up lately?  I was feeling a little bit icky and groggy today.  I wanted to lay in bed a bit longer but I got up and made myself breakfast anyway.  I ate a grass-fed burger with a fried egg on top, sauteed kale and spinach with tomatoes, and two carrots with about two tablespoons of homemade coconut cream.  I'm guessing this is a decent breakfast.  I'm worried that I might not be drinking enough water though, so I'm going to try and work on that.  My pants also felt tight yesterday :(  I hope I'm just adapting to the program and these things will sort themselves out soon!

Yes, I kept this in mind but my take is.....it is two dates per entire batch of homemade almond milk.  I'm probably getting no more than 1/4 date per coffee.  Since they are allowed, I don't think that is bad.  When you consider it's a compliant food & look at how much better than anything else out there.  The only thing I haven't tried is pure coconut milk.  May try it this week.

Yep.

However, you might find Melissa's take on the whole '....at least it's better than....' thing interesting - taken from her Instagram blog:

• melissa_hartwigShort version: Please do not ever use this phrase with me when I’m trying to help you with change, the end. The long version:

I caution against mindlessley hoovering Larabars and you say, “At least they’re better than candy.” I suggest two-a-day CrossFit sessions are harmful in your current context and you say, “At least it’s better than lying on the couch.” I point out that 22 days of Whole30 is not the Whole30, and you say, “At least it’s better than not doing it at all.” Hm.

These statements could all be true. But THESE ARE NOT YOUR ONLY OPTIONS. And writing off your behavior with “at least it’s better than…” has a consequence you’re not even seeing.

This attitude triggers what change expert Marshall Goldsmith calls “a false sense of immunity.” You’ll award yourself a free pass to hoover Larabars, knowingly overtrain, or bail on your Whole30 because, hey, at least you’re doing better than most people. It gives us an excuse to lower the bar, justifying what we want to do (instant gratification) while eroding our commitment to and motivation for our long-term goal. Summary: It’s dangerous thinking that will sabotage any hope of lasting change.

Avoid this change-trap by evaluating your actions independently, resisting the urge to create comparisons to make yourself feel better. It requires the kind of self-awareness and honesty that hurts a little bit. No, mindlessly overconsuming any food is not the kind of behavior I want to reinforce. Yes, CrossFit is fun, but is it healthy that I don't feel good unless I’m beating myself up in the gym? No, 22 days is not 30, and that is not the commitment I made to myself.

If you knock on my door and I give you advice, please do not come back with, “At least it’s better than…” Instead, acknowledge the current behavior, without comparison. Frame it in the context of your long-term goals: is this helping or hurting my change efforts? Then, do better. Because you HAVE options other than Larabars vs. candy, overtraining vs. lying around, doing 0 days of the Whole30 vs. doing just some. And I really want to help you see that, so you can make changes that stick.#changeyourlife #whole30 #toughlove#melissarants

Yep.

However, you might find Melissa's take on the whole '....at least it's better than....' thing interesting - taken from her Instagram blog:

• melissa_hartwigShort version: Please do not ever use this phrase with me when I’m trying to help you with change, the end. The long version:

I caution against mindlessley hoovering Larabars and you say, “At least they’re better than candy.” I suggest two-a-day CrossFit sessions are harmful in your current context and you say, “At least it’s better than lying on the couch.” I point out that 22 days of Whole30 is not the Whole30, and you say, “At least it’s better than not doing it at all.” Hm.

These statements could all be true. But THESE ARE NOT YOUR ONLY OPTIONS. And writing off your behavior with “at least it’s better than…” has a consequence you’re not even seeing.

This attitude triggers what change expert Marshall Goldsmith calls “a false sense of immunity.” You’ll award yourself a free pass to hoover Larabars, knowingly overtrain, or bail on your Whole30 because, hey, at least you’re doing better than most people. It gives us an excuse to lower the bar, justifying what we want to do (instant gratification) while eroding our commitment to and motivation for our long-term goal. Summary: It’s dangerous thinking that will sabotage any hope of lasting change.

Avoid this change-trap by evaluating your actions independently, resisting the urge to create comparisons to make yourself feel better. It requires the kind of self-awareness and honesty that hurts a little bit. No, mindlessly overconsuming any food is not the kind of behavior I want to reinforce. Yes, CrossFit is fun, but is it healthy that I don't feel good unless I’m beating myself up in the gym? No, 22 days is not 30, and that is not the commitment I made to myself.

If you knock on my door and I give you advice, please do not come back with, “At least it’s better than…” Instead, acknowledge the current behavior, without comparison. Frame it in the context of your long-term goals: is this helping or hurting my change efforts? Then, do better. Because you HAVE options other than Larabars vs. candy, overtraining vs. lying around, doing 0 days of the Whole30 vs. doing just some. And I really want to help you see that, so you can make changes that stick.#changeyourlife #whole30 #toughlove#melissarants

That is great advice.  She really is all about tough love isn't she?  lol  Funny you should post this b/c looking at my upcoming week 2 I've decided to make changes just for this very reason.  No more Larabars in my life.  If I'm totally desperate & about to eat my arm.....I will seek out the stores I know that carry them instead of always having them in my car.  Same with cashews.  I just can't have them in the house, even if they are Whole30 approved.  I agree with changing behavior whole-heartedly!  May even give up the coffee for a week and see what happens...

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations everyone! We made it! I'm at a 12 pound loss...yippee!

Today I tried a bite of a homemade white chocolate and macadamia cookie and I didn't like it! I ate a salad that had wonton strips in it and kept picking at it because I didn't want the strips. I'm changed!

Archived