Whole30: Keeping My Sugar Addiction At Bay!

Stephanie Shanks

On my wedding day I weighed 300lbs. My amazing husband could care less but I was sick, unhealthy, unhappy and feeling hopeless.

Over the next few years I was able to shed 80lbs total (including re-gain and loss) but then plateaued in the 240s and have been stuck there for more than three years.

Joining Crossfit in April of this year, I had heard about Paleo eating but took the idea to mean eat as much protein, fat, fruits and veggies as I liked...right? Wrong. For me - a person with a sugar addiction (in the form of an eating disorder which - in my life - had led to dishonesty and theft) - being allowed to eat whatever I liked of those categories - even in a specific caloric range set by my dietician - wasn't enough to stop the binges. If I have any sugar, I have ALL the sugar.

Discovering Whole30 and having a chance to cut off the sugar demon's foothold with NO excuses - even "diet" ones - has already been amazing. Cravings? Yes. Acting on it? Not on my life...at least not yet. I'm officially on day three but actually a week now <I started officially following our anniversary because I chose to have a nice glass of wine that day>...long road ahead but entirely worth it.

Thanks for the ear!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have entered "Kill. All. The. Things." today and I'm NOT in a good headspace. It's a good thing the MASSIVE library of free snack food of every variety offered by our company is nearly empty on Fridays...and that I still have my tall cubicle walls (for another week until we go open concept) to hide behind because I don't even like my OWN company today.

Stephanie, the moods will pass. My tip, I'm now on day 29, is to make sure you are eating enough at each meal. For me this meant eating bigger meals then I was used to. I also now make sure that I eat sweet potato at least once a day, sometimes twice. It helps to keep the energy levels up. I found I was crashing later in the day for a while, which I ignored, and this ended up turning into being tired in the mornings too. REgularly adding sweet potato to my meals fixed this for me.

Good luck.

Sorry for the delayed response!

The party went *great*! I really had my eyes open to just how much I *would* have stuffed in my face over the course of the night if I wasn't on my Whole30...I guesstimated at LEAST 1500 calories worth of not-good-for-me-food! It startled me into the need to be aware of what I force my body to process...and really made me proud to make it through without so much as licking the icing off of my fingers while serving up the cake!

I'm on day 12 now and really starting to feel the energy come. I was pretty amazed by today's Whole30 email...the whole stress addiction concept was something I'd never heard of/considered and it fit me to a T! I spoke with my husband about it and we're going to work together to help me overcome a lifetime of very negative habits surrounding stress/procrastination/panic, etc.

Day 20 and feeling fine! My energy is great, I'm not feeling deprived and I'm really starting to recognize the value in this way of eating.

The only downside I see atm is that it makes me VERY VERY sad seeing what other ppl around me eat...breaks my heart for the majority of the population that's sick and suffering because of what they eat.

Archived