Day 25--Where's My Tiger Blood?!

Deezah82

I'm on Day 25 and very frustrated. I didn't struggle at all through the first 23 days of my Whole 30--then BAM, day 24 hits and I'm so over it. Two years ago, my husband and I started a Whole 30 and made it through 24 days (our goal) before we had family in town. Since then, we've done several shorter compliant weeks just to reset our diets after holidays or vacations. During those, I always struggled with major cravings. I have been pleasantly surprised this time around that any cravings I've had have been minor and more annoyances than anything else. The issues I thought I would have (mainly what would I do when I was tired after a work-out and didn't want to cook) have been largely unfounded.

Then yesterday (day 24) I wanted nothing to do with this program. I didn't want to eat any of the food I brought with me to work, I went to the store after working out to get some things for dinner and all I wanted was milk and sushi and cheese and chocolate and a pumpkin beer... I texted my sister who is also doing a Whole 30 (on Day 9) for support and she helped me get through it. I ended up grabbing a really nice filet as a "treat" for myself since I was having a pity party for all the "good" things I couldn't have. 

On top of the pity party, I feel like any benefits I started seeing have gone away. The two things I have seen are that some stomach issues I was having have cleared up and I do tend to have more energy (in general) after a work out. I have lost a little bit of weight, but I think it was mostly water weight related to my menstrual cycle because the bloating I was feeling went away within days of starting this and my clothes haven't started fitting any better since then.

I had been sleeping better, then last night I woke up at least 3 times and never got into a really good deep sleep. My face has broken out more than usual over the last week. My last few work-outs have been TERRIBLE (both running and CrossFit) and I haven't had energy after. 

My meals are compliant and follow the guidelines (protein, veggies and fat at each meal, usually 2 small pieces of fruit each day with meals, and a pre-workout snack of protein and fat.) I'm not snacking and don't get hungry between meals. I drink a lot of water. Whole 30 isn't significantly different than how I usually eat other than eliminating dairy, alcohol, and the occasion sugary treat.

I felt better on days 1-23 than right now. What gives?! Why do I feel like I'm moving backwards?

I'm on Day 25 and very frustrated. I didn't struggle at all through the first 23 days of my Whole 30--then BAM, day 24 hits and I'm so over it. Two years ago, my husband and I started a Whole 30 and made it through 24 days (our goal) before we had family in town. Since then, we've done several shorter compliant weeks just to reset our diets after holidays or vacations. During those, I always struggled with major cravings. I have been pleasantly surprised this time around that any cravings I've had have been minor and more annoyances than anything else. The issues I thought I would have (mainly what would I do when I was tired after a work-out and didn't want to cook) have been largely unfounded.

Then yesterday (day 24) I wanted nothing to do with this program. I didn't want to eat any of the food I brought with me to work, I went to the store after working out to get some things for dinner and all I wanted was milk and sushi and cheese and chocolate and a pumpkin beer... I texted my sister who is also doing a Whole 30 (on Day 9) for support and she helped me get through it. I ended up grabbing a really nice filet as a "treat" for myself since I was having a pity party for all the "good" things I couldn't have. 

On top of the pity party, I feel like any benefits I started seeing have gone away. The two things I have seen are that some stomach issues I was having have cleared up and I do tend to have more energy (in general) after a work out. I have lost a little bit of weight, but I think it was mostly water weight related to my menstrual cycle because the bloating I was feeling went away within days of starting this and my clothes haven't started fitting any better since then.

I had been sleeping better, then last night I woke up at least 3 times and never got into a really good deep sleep. My face has broken out more than usual over the last week. My last few work-outs have been TERRIBLE (both running and CrossFit) and I haven't had energy after. 

My meals are compliant and follow the guidelines (protein, veggies and fat at each meal, usually 2 small pieces of fruit each day with meals, and a pre-workout snack of protein and fat.) I'm not snacking and don't get hungry between meals. I drink a lot of water. Whole 30 isn't significantly different than how I usually eat other than eliminating dairy, alcohol, and the occasion sugary treat.

I felt better on days 1-23 than right now. What gives?! Why do I feel like I'm moving backwards?

Could it be that your period is due in the next few days again, and this is why you aren't feeling so good?

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake, indicating portion sizes, along with your sleep/stress & activity levels we can take a look and see if anything jumps out...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Day 18 and was talking to some friends on this and they're ahead of me - probably where you are. I'm wondering where the "tiger's blood" phase starts. Does it happen and just sort of hit you? I hit a wall this morning and got so bored of food I had an apple w. almond butter for breakfast because I couldn't stomach anything else. I've felt this before, at an earlier *stage* and got past it, but haven't hit that whole30 energy mode yet. I keep hoping it'll come!

Good luck to you. I hope you start feeling that boost soon!

It's not going to happen having an apple and almond butter for breakfast. You need to follow the meal plan whether you are hungry or not. The body needs real fuel. I've had tiger blood since day 8 or 9 but in addition to what I eat, I think the exercise I do (walking, water aerobics and yoga) also contribute to it. I just got up one morning with it. It's a wonderful feeling.

• Moderators

Another thing about Tiger blood is that it's not the same for everyone. Sometimes, it's not a sudden burst of huge amounts of energy. Sometimes it's more like having steady energy throughout the day and being able to do the things you need to do. Or you might notice there are little chores you know you should do but put off before, that suddenly you're doing automatically every day. Just little things.

But like QuilterinVA said, you do have to eat to experience it. One meal that doesn't meet the template probably isn't so bad, but definitely eat even if you don't really feel like it.

Archived