Help with worries about eating too much

Access2015

I am on Day 18!  Way to go me!!

I have been 100% compliant and loving the program.  Tried two other times to do Whole30's and never made it out of the first week. 

My issue, after 30 years of dieting - 15 on WW, is I am so worried about overeating....

I am eating three great meals.  I usually have seconds at dinner.  and maybe a banana OR an apple as a snack.  No other fruit than that.  Tons of veggies and good protein and LOVE the homemade mayo and sauces.

I am basically cooking my way though the Whole 30 cookbook. 

But I am so conditioned to weigh and measure and count and track.  I am having a mental battle everyday and feel like I am cheating.  I think, okay so this is great all these NSV's but you'll be sorry when you haven't lost weight. 

My clothes and rings feel looser.  Skin, hair, nails... amazing.  Sleeping like a bear.  Medical issues clearing up.  What isn't the bomb about that! 

I guess maybe it is going to take me longer than 30 days to decondition my brain from 30 years of "being on a diet."

Do I want to go back to food prison?  No. 

Do I want to go back to insomnia?  No

Do I want to go back to (fill in the blank)? No

Any encouragement would be great... thanks. 

This forum is so great.

I just started day 11 myself, also a previous WW. Last night was the first night I fell asleep at 10:30 PM (when I closed my eyes!) and slept completly through the night. I ACTUALLY felt refreshed when I woke up. As long as you are feeling great you should not feel guilty. And you can take one of the WW  phrases and apply it, Do you feel "satiisfied"? If you are not actually over eating to where you feel uncomfortable there should be no guilt!

I am relatively new to this, but the way I look at it is - if I am not uncomfortable after eating and my meal was compliant and on the meal template of protein, veggies, fat - I probably don't need to worry about overeating. I think it is better to eat until you're satisfied than be hungry later before the next meal. Be proud - you are feeding yourself real, good food :D  

First of all - I give you a high five and a hug for doing this.

Second of all - you are doing awesome!  And you have the correct mindset - focus on all the NSV.  Throw that stupid scale out.  It does not tell you how awesome you are.

I've done many different diets: WW, Herbal Magic, low fat, etc. I would lose weight and then gain it all back again - why?  because I was chronically underfeeding myself and chronically hungry, tired, and sick.  I always felt deep down that all this low fat, high carb stuff wasn't good for me.  But I bought into it (like everyone else) and I ran with it.  I chronically under ate as this was something I was told I needed to do in order to lose weight and get healthy.  Instead my body did the opposite thing.  

Keep in mind that many people coming from a restrictive weigh and measure everything type of eating plan will most likely under eat.  Most of the time we see people here who are actually not eating enough rather than eating TOO much.  So if your meals are holding you for 4 to 5 hours at a time and you are not hungry inbetween - I would probably have to say that you are doing well.

Thanks that is great encouragement.  I have always been a snacker and a grazer and no meal ever held me 2 hours... now I am totally fine for 4-5 hours.  And I can be more productive in my day because I don't always have to think about eating.  I usually have to remember it is time for lunch.  That is so new to me.  I am just having mid-way worries... 12 days to go.  I will not think about it again.  Just keep on keeping on.   Thanks

Wow did this post hit home for me!  I just came off of three years on WW and although it did work, I got tired of it honestly.  Plus, I didn't feel great about eating all the basically fake/non-fat foods they encourage.  I decided to give Whole30 a try for multiple reasons, one of which is weight loss, and I am terrified of overeating.  I keep making a mental tally of points in my head and trust me I am way over what I would need to be at.  I feel like I am doing something wrong and am going to end up gaining a ton of weight, simply because I am not starving and am eating real foods that have fat in them.

It is a struggle for me too, but we can do this!

Wow did this post hit home for me!  I just came off of three years on WW and although it did work, I got tired of it honestly.  Plus, I didn't feel great about eating all the basically fake/non-fat foods they encourage.  I decided to give Whole30 a try for multiple reasons, one of which is weight loss, and I am terrified of overeating.  I keep making a mental tally of points in my head and trust me I am way over what I would need to be at.  I feel like I am doing something wrong and am going to end up gaining a ton of weight, simply because I am not starving and am eating real foods that have fat in them.

It is a struggle for me too, but we can do this!

I think those of us who come from a chronic dieter's background all have these thoughts. I know I did.  Mentally it was very hard for me to commit to the template but I did it. And I did a 2nd whole 30 as well. Now I'm riding my own bike and still eating mostly compliant and almost always to template.  you just have to "let it go". Hard, yes, but once you do you will realize THIS is what you're body has wanted all these years. Clean healthy food that makes you healthier. Wonderfully healthy fats to give you energy.  The freedom to eat only 3 meals a day - to not have to obsess about food, calories, metrics, measurements - to just eat. 

try to drop that mental tally. stick to the template. you'll be happy you did. ^_^

Archived