Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Dairy has that creeping effect on me.

For instance, I can (& sometimes do) have one latte without effect, but add to that some butter in my eggs, or some cream in a sauce over the course of a few days (as happened on my summer vacation) and that cough is back, accompanied by the runny nose/nasal congestion, poor sleep & nasty cataarh.

Yoghurt worked well when I had it the once a few weeks back, but I suspect if I reintroduced it regularly (or at least more than once every so often as was the case in my preWhole30 days) that it would be the same.

Gluten, grains & soy/legumes however have an immediate effect that I really don't care for.

Same here! Yes. I can have dairy but having too much in a day or even in a week makes me congested and/or constipated. Dairy is known to be inflammatory (as are sugar and grains). 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We get all sorts of stuff at TJ's....  I mean, besides the obvious stuff -- there IS a compliant marinara in a can.  We used to eat that a lot mixed with homemade sausage & veggies.

I use their light olive oil to make mayo.  We love their frozen chicken breasts because they are minimally processed & don't add a solution.  We also used to buy their bags of sweet potatoes because they are smaller & easier to cut, better serving size.

If you do a search of Whole 30 Trader Joe's, all sorts of cool stuff probably comes up.  Our family makes pretty basic food most of the time, so if I listed everything out, it would be very boring.  

I get their frozen cod pieces because I made some great Paleo fish sticks with them (and yes, compliant!) Also parsnips (2 in a bag) and their bagged sweet potatoes are pretty good. Tuna and salmon in cans there (though a bit pricey), because they JUST have fish and water or oil- nothing else added.  

Whole 30 stuff was:

NOW brand raw brazil nuts

Coconut Secret aminos

Herbamare seasoning

Coconut Secret vinegar

I looked at Epic bars after seeing that mentioned here, but I just can't do it.   Too expensive for snack food.

Wait- TJ's has Coconut Secret products? How did I miss that? And yes- Epic bars- great, portable as part of a mini meal and they're filling. 

5/10/14:

I know every family is different, but in this family I have realized I really do set the example.  If I am eating better, we all eat better.  If I give in to cravings for junk, we ALL eat junk.  It's not my kids.  It's not my husband.  It all comes down to me.  They pretty much go along with whatever I say.  That, my friends, is a blessing and a curse.  LOL  Talk about pressure to do things right.....  

WERD. I'm the one in my family who's like that also. I do the cooking, so we eat what I make (or don't make- like when we go out to eat. I'm the one who has to say what's allowed for our dinners out). 

Brewer- I finally finished reading Grain Brain and I started making a couple of the recipes in the book. I've got to say- they have some problems; major ones! The proportions are way off and the directions are off also, IMO.  Have you tried to make anything from the recipes in that book yet?

Brewer- I finally finished reading Grain Brain and I started making a couple of the recipes in the book. I've got to say- they have some problems; major ones! The proportions are way off and the directions are off also, IMO.  Have you tried to make anything from the recipes in that book yet?

I haven't.   :mellow:  Sorry to hear that!

He did come out with an entire cookbook........  And I just went to check the reviews and they are good.  Maybe he has learned a thing or two about recipes.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0316334251?keywords=grain%20brain%20cookbook&qid=1446085486&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Lancer -- on the subject of recipes -- have you heard of crack slaw?  I have seen people here talking about it, and one woman recommended this recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/crack-slaw-low-carb-434863

I have made it twice.  Lots of modifications both times, based on what I have on hand.  And it still turned out great!  For tonight's batch, I added some raw cashew pieces (also from TJs).  My son says it tastes like something from Panda Express.  Hey -- I'll take that!  We LOVE Panda Express.   :)

Heifer international is awesome! My son took the brochure to school when he was in second grade - got the whole class involved - kids saved change during the year and at the end of the year they were able to supply a village with a bunch of animals...

I also by animals as Christmas gifts - for example, a Christmas gift for my pastor and his family, the animal is bought in their name - you can even print a card that tells about it.

Kmlynne - good to hear from you! How's the vacation going?

The trip is going great!  Just came back from the Grand Canyon - well, actually it was a side canyon on the Havasupai Indian Reservation.  Primitive camping - no electric, no internet, no cell signal, no running water.....  We drank from a spring.  We hiked.  We went to bed when it got dark (at 6pm).  It was some of the most challenging but most rewarding hiking I have ever done!

We have a few more days in Sedona now, then I have a couple days to visit a friend in Pheonix.  I can't believe that the vacation will be over in less than a week!

Well, here's a post that's been a long time coming, yet I wasn't sure if I was ever going to make, all at the same time.

I could post on the handful of wine threads that have been going around lately, but I decided to say it here, with the folks who know me.

I never drank wine until I stopped smoking just over two years ago -- and I do mean never.   I literally drank 2 times per year, exactly the number of times I got to go out with my husband to social events.  But it was never wine.

A friend introduced me to a sweet wine (I can't even remember the name) at a restaurant one day when we went to lunch.  I was all stressed out about some family upheaval that day, and boy did that wine make me feel better.  Calmed my nerves.  Eased the tension.  And began a new chapter in my story of addiction.

I quickly learned that the sweet wines were too sweet ~ I could drink them like water.  That's no good!  I also don't enjoy drinking sugar, as you should all know.  

So I switched over to the dark red wines with the least carbs ~ merlot, cabernet, etc.   And I learned that, if I was just in the right or wrong mood, I could drink an entire bottle of those, too.   So I started buying those tiny little bottles and successfully limited myself to one or two of those at a time.  I quickly got bored with that, though -- because you are so limited in choices.  I go to Trader Joe's and Costco and I see aisles of beautiful, wonderfully marketed bottles of wine staring at me -- all saying, "Try me!  I'm beautiful!  I'm wonderful!"

-----

When I began the Feingold program with my son, and started to learn about salicylate reactions, I also began at that time to think about myself.  They say that if you have a child who responds well to Feingold, one of the parents is most likely sensitive, as well.  ...Well, guess what?  It's not my husband.   :ph34r:

I haven't had much wine since July.  I have pinpointed it to be the cause of a few unsettling bodily reactions, and I have also realized that it does not necessarily put me in the best mood.  (I think this is true for all alcohol -- I've read that it enhances whatever mood you are in.  If I am tired and stressed out, I am probably better off just saying, "Not tonight, honey" and going to my damn bed.)  But there's something about wine, in particular.

As we were preparing for this camping trip, my mom was emailing me about food.  I asked her if she was still drinking wine?  Because I was trying to decide whether to buy some or not.  She said she is still drinking wine when she has someone to drink with, and that she would bring a few bottles of her favorite.  I told her that if she was going to bring a few bottles, I would not bring any -- because "I really need to limit myself to 1-2 glasses a night and I don't want to have any left over to bring home".

...So what do you suppose I did?  Yep, I just had to buy a bottle of Witches Brew at the store.  There it was, calling my name -- "Take me home with you!  It's fall!  Let's go camping!  You've always wanted to try me!"  And, quite honestly, I knew in the back of my mind that this weekend was going to be my last soiree with wine.  It had already been decided.

-----

So here I sit, and I talk to my internet friends.  It is almost 2:00 in the afternoon, and I am just now keeping down water.  After a pitiful morning, my father finally came to the rescue with some Alka-Seltzer.

My family is out on a wonderful, beautiful hiking trail without me.  I am getting pictures and videos on my phone with updates of the day I should be out enjoying with them.

IMG_7591.jpg

...And that is the end of my story with wine.

Brewer, if Hutlifr was here she could share with you that after several Whole 30's ...the best wine in the world tastes like vinegar to her now.   I don't drink wine or beer or gin or vodka or anything.  It doesn't appeal to me in the way that other things did.   I've witnessed too much damage and heartache in the lives of those I've known.  It was/is a deterrent and damper.

In addition, their/my struggles with refined carbs/weight/diabetes - there's no Finish Line navigating my way through all of that. Sugar alcohols, sugar sugar, upside down sugar and alcohol.  

Awesome fall pic.  

Brewer, excuse me for commenting here, but your post about wine was both heartbreaking and so helpful...just want you to know that your posts have inspired so much improvement in my eating and exercise plans, and in my to-read list as well

But, wine is #1 on my list of what I would like to reintro, so I have been reading the thread about wine in the after your whole 30 section...each seems to tell the same tale, and your story here underlined the message.

So, thank you...and bounce right back, as I know you will.

Oh Brewer - I am so sorry you did not feel up to hiking with your family!  :unsure:   I never really liked wine.  I could tolerate sweet wines (icewine was my most tolerated) but never really got a taste for it.  For me it is tequila, vodka and rum.  I have discovered that vodka causes me to have horrible shoulder aches, mostly in my joints, but the rums and tequilas never bothered me.  (Have found out that tequila comes from the agave plant, and rum from sugar cane where as vodka is from grains - go figure - it must be the grains  :rolleyes: ).  Anyway, after years of addiction (the worst was after my divorce), I finally kicked it cold turkey.  For years I didn't drink, then I started again in social situations.  Suddenly, despite w30, I found that I had it in my house again.  Mom and dad gave me a bunch of stuff when they moved.  For a while it sat there, then I suddenly realized the vodka was empty (it was during my "non-w30" times, and when I realized what it was doing to me -quite a "re-intro").  This week, since I have been on vacation, when we get back from our hikes, we hit the hot tub.  Someone invaribly brings a bottle of wine.  The last few times, I wanted to "join in", and went and bought some hard lemonade from the local gas mart.  Amazing how quickly all that addiction came back.  It tasted good.  I felt good.  Now, I am not sure it was worth it.....  Not "ill" effects - just not sure that I really wanted to go there.  I know that I am going to have to stop when I get home.....

Hope you are feeling better  ;)

Archived