Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

You're singing to me now.   That was music to my ears.  

Absolutely.  The emotional part does go away and you can tell your mind to just shut up already. How many people living on the streets would be able to function and take care of themselves if they had whole foods instead of scraps. 

Genetics play a huge part in our health.   What about me coming from a long line of peoples that practically starved to death for generations.  There was seldom plenty and it wasn't that long ago.

Paw went through some really tough times.   He and his siblings all had rickets. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dr. Perlmutter also goes into great detail about why he is AGAINST statin drugs. On and on about the importance of cholesterol, to every cell of our bodies.

I hope that no one reading this thread is currently taking -- or will ever consider taking -- a statin drug.

If anyone wants to discuss further, I'd be happy to. :)

LILY, this was so weird. I was ~just~ here to quickly post about statins & happened to see what you had added about rickets.

I returned to my book and this was in the next paragraph I read:

"Vitamin D deficiency is not just about an increased risk for weak, soft bones and, at the extreme end, rickets; it's associated with many conditions that heighten one's risk for dementia, such as diabetes, depression, and cardiovascular disease."

o_o

Weight stability is a reflection of what's going on in the mind.  It's like a house without chaos.

I think, once you can wrap your mind around the science, and truly see what is going on inside your body, it is a lot easier to make decisions about what is proper fuel.  The emotional part of eating can and does go away.  This is why the rigidity of the rules of a Whole 30 is so comforting to many.  It narrows your options down, so there is much less chaos in your brain without all of those voices.  You silence them.  You have to.

I'm a disciplined person by nature. I like things in little boxes. And as such the glutens, the grains, the legumes, the dairy, the alcohol - they are (mentally) stored away in little boxes in my home* (*read that as 'my mind') because I have no room (need) for them. The dairy & the alcohol are in an accessible place, because every now & then I lift those boxes down, dust them off & take a peek inside - but I tire of them quickly, seal them back up again & put them back in to storage to clear the clutter.

Tidy house, tidy mind.

LILY, this was so weird. I was ~just~ here to quickly post about statins & happened to see what you had added about rickets.

I returned to my book and this was in the next paragraph I read:

"Vitamin D deficiency is not just about an increased risk for weak, soft bones and, at the extreme end, rickets; it's associated with many conditions that heighten one's risk for dementia, such as diabetes, depression, and cardiovascular disease."

o_o

Another copasinki coinkydink.   A diabetic link right there.   That was exactly my question to you and you answered it.  I didn't word it that way but I knew you would get my continental drift.  You always do.

I've been wandering around outside amongst the pine trees thinking about jeans, my gene genes and starvation.  I'm the first generation without lack and why did the Universe let me roll around out there at the City Dump with the SAD?

I want the truth.  I can handle the truth.   There is so much D3 deficiency and magnesium, too.

Everywhere you turn, someone is being told they need D3 and K2 helps absorb that, yes?

Satellites are linking up all over the Universe and you've pulled outta me in a day's time.. what's taken me 16 months to assemble.  Here's lookin' at you, Brewer.  No BS about the BS (blood sugar) up in here.   

Let's go on, Lewis. cowboy-night-smiley.gif?1292867576  Let's see America and make it back home in one piece without training wheels.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself but I cry inside for my family and ancestors.   Paw told me last night,  you need to stick together with your Maw and me.   Don't worry,  Paw....I'd crawl over hot coals to be with you.  It's not a job, it's a privilege.  Taking care of your folkaronies is the best job you'll ever have in your life.  I don't take it lightly.

I hang out with my W30 friends while they're taking naps and so forth.  We fix their meals and I run errands.  I make sure they have D3, magnesium and all of the other things they need.   It's a job without wages but the perks cannot be matched.

Brewer,  I heard a program on the radio this morning.  It was about energy robbers and how all of us are responsible for setting our own boundaries.   If someone is taking advantage of you...sucking everything out of your being - you must cut them loose.  No one else can do that for you.   Energy leeches.   

Each of us must defend out own pea patch....like a watchman on the wall.   'Tough Mudders' are watchmen on the wall.   They protect their children like the Grizz.   We must all be on the lookout for energy robbers and take back our territory.    They only add to our stress and we don't need them.   

Everywhere you turn, someone is being told they need D3 and K2 helps absorb that, yes?

I think it's more that Vitamin K is important for many things, and also that when you are taking supplemental Vitamin D, it increases your need for K even more.

I will be back with the specifics about what K2 does, and what Dr. Perlmutter has to say about it.  As you know, at the moment I am taking my D3 but have not dove into K2 just yet.  I need to decipher the appropriate amount for myself.  This is new territory for me.  

I want to go back to weight stability being a reflection of what's going on in the mind.   A house without chaos.

I believe that with everything in my being.  Stress, energy leeches, daily struggles, hardships all have an affect/effect on weight stability.

If you have nothing but peaks and valleys in your life or know someone with huge peaks and valleys,  the weight can be the best tracker or indicator of what's really going on in the mind.

I want weight stability for the rest of my life.  Sticking the landing is only part of the equation.   You must stick it and stay in the zone to keep from rebounding back into the Twilight Zone.   There's so much ground to cover, Brewer.   There all kinds of things to visit about.   

No BS up in here.    

There are those who have stuck the landing and I see the bigger picture.  I also see that as a reflection of stability.   A smoother ride.   A tool or skill that enables them to reach beyond themselves to help others.   

I want weight stability.   It's a well you can draw from to keep every other area of you life in a more stable fashion.   When crap hits the fan,  you can draw from the well.

They say...whoever they are  that your house and closets are a reflection of the mind.   Weight stability is, too.   Peaks and valleys.   Yo-yoing and huge rebounds.....time to use whole foods and nothing but whole foods to get your house in order.

You want the truth?   I do.    

Grain Brain, p. 127

On the subject of epigenetics:

"We now know that the food choices we make, the stress we experience or avoid, the exercise we get or avoid, the quality of our sleep, and even the relationships we choose actually choreograph to a significant degree which of our genes are active and which remain suppressed."

Grain Brain, p. 127

On the subject of epigenetics:

"We now know that the food choices we make, the stress we experience or avoid, the exercise we get or avoid, the quality of our sleep, and even the relationships we choose actually choreograph to a significant degree which of our genes are active and which remain suppressed."

This is a great mantra you could write on the chalkboard, every day.  explanation-smiley.gif?1292867591

When multi-crap hits the fan and you have to move with lightning speed,  we don't need any mellow marshers pulling us back down into a hole.   I'm on call 24/7.  

Whole 30 keeps me finely tuned and ready to rock n roll.   I don't need all of those food choices that you've shared about yesterday, Brewer.    Too many choices can overwhelm you when you're  'on call'.    

It's like going to the mall and being swarmed with racks and racks of clothes.  You can't see any of them after awhile and you leave empty handed. host-love1-smiley.gif?1292867620

I must get in there and clean the kitchen up again.  Before I go, there is a woman EMT that I know.  She is a 'Tough Mudder'.   She exudes strength.   It  bounces off of her like brilliant rays of sunshine.   She's taken care of my family members on long ambulance rides to the hospital for emergency surgeries.

She's always the one I want in my corner when it comes to my family.  I don't want the soft donut munchers.  I do not.   She's on point and her mind is sharp.   She takes great care of herself and excellent care of others.  I see her around and I admire that bravery, courage and strength.   She clearly has given herself permission to love herself enough...so she can love others.    Tough Mudders are everywhere.   Lurve 'em.

Lol.  I'm here.

"The researchers also found that consuming more than two servings of fish per week was associated with a 59 percent reduction in the occurrence of Alzheimer's disease."

Lily, I get the feeling that you get a lot of fresh fish, and that is wonderful.

I need to work on it.  

I have a renewed sense of taking a walk on the wild side since I've been here.  Yes. I do. 

On my calendars at home,  I write at the top.....The City Dump or  HIT THE RESET BUTTON. 

I've been doing this for for several  months.   I don't want to lose complete sight of the City Dump where I used to crawl around on mountaintops of the SAD.   I was rooting around like the barn animals.  We use grains to fatten up our livestock.  It works so well on humans, too.   Grains are used for finishing off the livestock before processing. 

The City Dump used to be my home.   I no longer live there.   The Reset Button is my daily visual.  I have identified with it in a positive food management plan way.  

When I hit it...doesn't mean I'm starting over every day but my mind needs to be reminded why I started this journey in the first place.   The closer you get to sticking the landing, the mind wants to get all lazy arse on you again.     I say,  Oooooo,  Hail Nooooo to that!     Protein and Fat.  STAT.

I eat fish every single day.  :D  I eat fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner.   I eat all kinds of proteins.   What I really want to know...why don't we see women out there eating meat?   I see chicken breasts, larabars and eggs.  Fruit, nuts and dried fruits.

Where have all the flowers gone?  Why aren't women eating meat?  It's so rare that I see a food log with meat or fish.    The amount of food logs with eggs as the main source of protein and then they wonder why they all want to GAG and throw up.

Are you kidding me?  Where's the meat.   Where are the quality proteins we're supposed to be eating on a Whole 30.   It ain't Paleo.  Without meat and fish, it's a paler shade of pathetic.   You need protein for a head reset.   

Lol.  I'm here.

"The researchers also found that consuming more than two servings of fish per week was associated with a 59 percent reduction in the occurrence of Alzheimer's disease."

Lily, I get the feeling that you get a lot of fresh fish, and that is wonderful.

I need to work on it.  

I eat fish pretty much once a day. We're so lucky though being a little island that we have seafood in abundance.

As a child it was part of our Saturday routine to walk into town with my mum and call at the fishmongers to pick up some fish for tea - we'd get a snack of crab's nippers, or winkles (little shells a bit like a snail shell that would have been attached to rocks and you'd twist the inhabitant out with a little pin) to eat after tea while the Saturday night TV shows were on.

We'd also go harvesting cockles & mussels from the beaches further up the coast on a Sunday when the tide was out. We'd boil some up on the beach on a camping stove to have with lunch & then we'd bring the rest home (bucketfuls!) for my mum to pickle - we'd cupboards full of those little blighters!!

My boys both LOVE fish, although my eldest is learning to love steak a little more these days - rare/medium rare thankfully - no heathens allowed in my home!  ;)  :D 

jmcbn, this is why you're the Mod and I'm the Alumni. nah-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793775     You're diplomatic.  

I would tell them if you're eating tiddlywinks,  calm-down-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292 you can't expect anything but tiddlywink results on Day 30.   Then there would be much crying and gnashing of teeth. boohoo-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793   Me.  bye-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793764

So it's better this way.  I don't touch deeply felt principles except those danged olde larabars.  I would use Raid on every single one of them.  I would jerk them out of their lil hands and say...Gimme all of your larabars, right now and I mean it!

A great example of "we do what we know".

I am not very comfortable with fish.  I was not raised on seafood.

My parents like to fish.  My mom cleans them.  I don't wanna.  Like, ever.  

Bluegill.  That's their thing.  So I would sometimes eat breaded, fried bluegill growing up.  Popcorn shrimp (breaded, of course) occasionally at a restaurant.  Tuna salad, sure.  I'm really comfortable with tuna from a can.   :lol:

I've spread my wings to cans of sardines and salmon.  I even have a couple cans of mackerel in my cabinet, but no clue what to do with them.

I've used frozen tilapia and cod, cooked up with a bunch of frozen veggies.  Gourmet, I know!  

And I do know how to properly cook fresh salmon.  And I like it.  But we don't buy it often.  $$$

That is the extent of my fish experience.

{Oh, and, discovered my oldest has an allergy to shrimp a few years ago.  Poor kid loved eating shrimp rings with Dad.  Then all of a sudden -- no more.}

Shrimp is a really common allergen... I know quite a few who suffer from it.

Those tins of mackerel in your cupboard - just scoop them out straight from the tin (especially if they're in EVOO) onto a salad - tinned mackerel is one of my portable/cheap/quickie options.

My dad was/is a keen saltwater fisherman so I was taught quite young how to gut a fish - it's just the mess that's off putting.

Are you comfortable handling meat? Many people aren't and just like to buy prepped meat from the meat counter at the supermarket. When I lived in Greece and worked in a restaurant there I handled all kinds of meat/offal & dealt directly with the supplier who showed me a thing or two. I used to go & pick which cuts I wanted him to use for making ground beef. We knew the source of everything we served. I don't know what it is, but there is something very empowering about handling & preparing raw meat.

I'm also okay with kalamari, cuttlefish, octopus etc - all of which I learned about prepping/cooking in Greece too...

Oh, and rabbit stew......  :wub: 

It was a big thing for me spending my formative years & learning to cook in a country where they are so passionate about their food - and their diet is so good too...

A great example of "we do what we know".

I am not very comfortable with fish.  I was not raised on seafood.

My parents like to fish.  My mom cleans them.  I don't wanna.  Like, ever.  

Bluegill.  That's their thing.  So I would sometimes eat breaded, fried bluegill growing up.  Popcorn shrimp (breaded, of course) occasionally at a restaurant.  Tuna salad, sure.  I'm really comfortable with tuna from a can.   :lol:

I've spread my wings to cans of sardines and salmon.  I even have a couple cans of mackerel in my cabinet, but no clue what to do with them.

I've used frozen tilapia and cod, cooked up with a bunch of frozen veggies.  Gourmet, I know!  

And I do know how to properly cook fresh salmon.  And I like it.  But we don't buy it often.  $$$

That is the extent of my fish experience.

{Oh, and, discovered my oldest has an allergy to shrimp a few years ago.  Poor kid loved eating shrimp rings with Dad.  Then all of a sudden -- no more.}

You did not just say Bluegill.   You didn't.   I used to have fish prints all over my house like this one.  A BIL  would come to the house, cover his eyes and slap his hand over the Bluegill and say to me....Ooooo, don't tell me...it's a Bluegill.   

e7e7d8c90a882d37adfa51333d651177.jpg

You did not just say Bluegill.   You didn't.   I used to have fish prints all over my house like this one.  A BIL  would come to the house, cover his eyes and slap his hand over the Bluegill and say to me....Ooooo, don't tell me...it's a Bluegill.   

e7e7d8c90a882d37adfa51333d651177.jpg

Ha! I'm sure I've seen that wallpaper somewhere....!!  :P

Archived