Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Literally LOL.  And I just went to look.  Karen has had 200 floors in a day.

That's right.

Go Karen.

:blink:

See all of these coinkydinks, Brewer.     What will tomorrow hold.   I should let you get some shut-eye. Today, was a lorra lorra fun.   I'm listeningall-ears-smiley.gif?1292867546 to the debate and having a good time with all ya'all. count-sheep-smiley.gif?1292867576

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See all of these coinkydinks, Brewer.     What will tomorrow hold.   I should let you get some shut-eye. Today, was a lorra lorra fun.   I'm listeningall-ears-smiley.gif?1292867546 to the debate and having a good time with all ya'all. count-sheep-smiley.gif?1292867576

Well I meant 200 floors was her best badge, not that she had done it TODAY.

I did not watch the debate. I actually forgot all about it! I honest to God do not even know who is debating. What does that tell you?!

I'm not sure but I want to ask you- is it okay for us to eat farm-raised fish? -I thought we should only go for wild-caught?

I actually have not read that one, but I LOVE Nora Gedgaudas.  I have heard her talk on several podcasts.  I promise I did not copy any of her work here.  That all came from my own brain.   :lol:

It is my understanding that we can eat any plain meat.  The old food list you could print out had it listed in order from greatest to least in terms of quality -- where obviously truly wild-caught* fish would be at the top, and the farm-raised stuff at the very bottom.  But meat is meat, protein is protein, and they want you eating it -- so, as far as I know, it's allowed.  Unfortunately, my searches are bringing up a different-looking food list that I do not like as well as the old one.

(I am not doing a Whole 30, but still hope jcmbn will clarify for you if the rules have changed or I misunderstood.)

*Some places will farm-raise fish, feed them grains their whole life -- then let them out into a little area of the "big water", then catch them, then call them wild-caught.  Sneaky.  Verrrry sneaky.

For Whole30 purposes so long as you're eating protein it's fine - the wild caught fish, and the organic grassfed beef are preferable, but not a deal breaker - some people just can't afford the best of quality all the time so they have to do the best with what they've got.

Have a read at this Conscientious Omnivore article for more info on the great fish debate

For Whole30 purposes so long as you're eating protein it's fine - the wild caught fish, and the organic grassfed beef are preferable, but not a deal breaker - some people just can't afford the best of quality all the time so they have to do the best with what they've got.

Have a read at this Conscientious Omnivore article for more info on the great fish debate

Thank you, ma'am.  :)

Looks like I am probably better off with no fish at all, which ~pretty much~ takes me back to where I was yesterday before I dug out the frozen tilapia.

I've read so much about fish before -- maybe even read that article before -- and that is why it is not a staple in our home.  Way too expensive to buy the good stuff on a regular basis.  Way too much confusion in the industry, and not knowing what you are really getting.

I'm sure there are going to be more tips in Grain Brain as I continue to read, but I'm also sure that he is going to recommend a fish oil supplement.  I can feel it coming.  Plus I've read the book before.  I kinda remember.  ;)

When your budget allows, buy some better quality canned tuna fish and salmon.  Eat 2 Brazil Nuts with it. That's what Tom Denham does.  You can google it on the Roundup and Ride Whole 30.   I won't repost his posts or rewrite the book here. :D  Now, everyone in my family eats 2 Brazil nuts {because of Tom} when they eat their can of tuna or salmon.

I'm always saying...Tom does this and Tom does that.  "Who's Tom?"  He's the Boss and when Tom speaks, I listen.   I've followed his tips and they've made me who I am today.  When he tells everyone to just keep tooling along...he's right.    A slow pace WINS this race.  It's not really a race and I'm not in competition with anyone. 

Gooooing Oooooo Soooooo Slooooow has prevented any rebound weight gain.  I will stick the landing.  I'm somewhere in the future and I look much better than I look right now.  I'm not wearing any PINK CLOTHES IN THE FUTURE.  I'M UGLY IN PINK.  

In the future,  I will maintain with weight stability.  You have to speak to your future.  If you don't, you won't know what to do when you get there.   Old Habits will come roaring back with an appetite for all of the former faves and triggers that jacked up your cravings.

Like you prepare for a Whole 30 with meticulous attention to every last detail, not wanting to eat non-compliant foods...you have to prepare for your future.   When it comes, you'll be ready.

You will have your own positive food management plan in place.   A smile on your face,  and your own stashes of food that will keep you running like a well oiled machine...without training wheels. 

No Training Wheels is the big picture.   When we no longer stand at the door and go on into the Universe with our Whole 30 lessons tucked inside of our heart and brain.... You'll have the courage and strength you need.    When the brain wants to go all grain on you again, you simply tell it NOooooooo.   

We're adults now.  We can say NO,  just like we do to our children.   We're in charge.

Weight Stability is where it's at.   It is a reflection of the brain without the drain of grains.  The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains and the brain on grains is headed for a train...wreck.   The grain brain is full of holes.  

The grain brain gets punctured with tares from the wheat whenever you fall back into bowls of pasta, pizza, bread bowls,   bread bread and Paleo crackers.   Don't be deceived by the word Paleo that no one owns.   That word is owned by no one and it means everything under the sun.   Paleo snacks are the faux foes.  When the glutens are removed they're often replaced with flours that have a high sugary content.  Tapioca, rice.   

So if you're looking for a release of weight,  don't be fooled by the faux foes.  They come in all forms, slippery lil suckers.  They'll try to latch back onto you and ruin your good results.   It's another battle now.  

Sticking the landing is only one battle.   WINNING THE WAR will take a lifetime.  There is no such thing as the FINISH LINE when it comes to your health.

Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten.

ANOTHER BINGE IS NOT A CURE FOR A FOOD ADDICTION.

I'm here.    I am present and accounted for.   I speak these things out into the Universe and I wait for the reverb.   I'm preparing myself for the future.   I'm not addressing anyone but myself when I give myself a good hard talking to.   

You have to tear yourself down to build yourself back UP again.  Piece by piece.  Don't leave a trace of faux foes in there.  Kick them out and tell them where to go. 

You are the Boss.   You are in charge.   We can say NO.  

I don't like the term the 'biggest loser'.   It's negative.    Let no one stand in your way.  Step aside, the little dog is coming through. 

fox-terrier-pelo-liso.jpg

We do have quality stuff in a can.  I suppose if that is a "good enough" source of all the wonderful fish things.....  then that is what we will continue to do.

I know I started eating the sardines back when I read Grain Brain the first time.    :lol:   I've got some great wild-caught salmon from Costco that doesn't freak me out.  And Wild Planet tuna -- expensive, but one of the only ones that is Feingold-approved.  So we've been using that for tuna boats.

I can't explain all of the different things I have to think about with this Feingold program.  Well, I mean, I could -- but I don't have time right now.  ;)

Just finished Lifting Heavy Things.

So this is a great time to share a few quotes:

"The burning question:  How can we grow new brain neurons?  In other words, what influences neurogenesis?  And what can we do to enhance this natural process?"

Then he talks about BDNF:  "brain-derived neurotrophic factor".

"The gene that turns on BDNF is activated by a variety of lifestyle habits, including physical exercise, caloric restriction, following a ketogenic diet, and the addition of certain nutrients like curcumin and the omega-3 fat DHA."

"Physical exercise is one of the most potent ways of changing your genes; put simply, when you exercise, you literally exercise your genes."

Lots of great stuff in this section.  Lots of great stuff in the entire book!  But here's another favorite:

"Much in the way our muscles gain strength and functionality when physically challenged through exercise, the brain similarly rises to the challenges of intellectual stimulation."

^ This is part of why I am here every day.  Not because I have so much time to kill (hint: I don't)...  I love to learn, and share, and discuss, and this is intellectually stimulating for me.   :)  Most of the time-killers that were NOT intellectually stimulating for me (TV, facebook, etc) have had to go, for the most part -- to make room for the things that really matter to me.  

I got to football practice tonight and realized I forgot my highlighter.   :blink:

I've been SO into this book, it seriously bummed me out.  I managed, though.  I managed.

I walked and walked around and around out there, with my nose in a book.  I didn't get to highlight anything, but I stepped in a couple of holes and almost broke my ankle.  haha j/k.  I'm fine.

This part of the book I am finding rather boring -- maybe because I have read it before, maybe because it does not apply to my family.  On and on and on about headaches and gluten.  Gluten and autism.  Gluten and ADHD.  We don't do gluten.

It's all fascinating -- and totally makes sense.  It is also frustrating, when you read these things and think of specific people you know it would help, who will not even open themselves up to the possibility.  He has story after (miraculous!) story to tell, of his patients he has "cured" by changing their diet & supplements.  No drugs.  No BS.  Just, take care of yourselves, people.

A favorite line from Despicable Me comes to mind:

"Under what circumstances would we use this?"

:lol:

I saw mention of smoothies.  Nooooooo... not the smoothies!  haha

Did you see this comment:

"To say this is dangerous is quite an understatement. Thanks to websites like this, my daughter tried this clever trick. When the jar shattered, her palm went straight down onto the spinning broken jar AND the blender blades. After thirty-plus stitches done by an excellent surgeon, a she is fortunate to have the use of her hand and all her fingers. I wish I could insert a photo here. DO NOT EVER USE ANYTHING BUT A BLENDER TOP WITH A BLENDER."

dalek-smiley.gif?1292867578      Alrighty then.   I was looking for blender replacement parts and I found that.  I thought, welp, good for an emergency.no-no-smiley.gif?1292867644  I broke my plastic pour lid and I can't find a replacement.   

I deleted it before anyone else could try that.   no-points-smiley.gif?1292867644 Whewww. calm-down-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292

Lol, Lily.  Obviously it works for some people!  You didn't have to delete it.....   :(

I'm sure it could work in an emergency.  Or it could cause an emergency...  

I mean, it could go either way.  {shrug}  Let's keep this thread optimistic.  I'm sure you'll be fine.   :lol:

Archived