Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings from the Emerald Isle.....

Phew - what a day I've had so far - started with spin @ 10am, and have literally *just* sat down having prepped our food for the week, got the beds changed, uniforms ready, school bags ready, tidied up a bit & cleared the laundry. My back was just about starting to ache so decided it was time for a break. The first born wants me to order a poster for him from Amazon so I plan on adding some things to my wish list in preparation for Christmas so that when my folks (& in laws) ask for some gift inspiration I can just point them in the direction of my ever-growing list.... It looks like this year I'll be getting mostly books!!  B) 

Went on a lonnnnnnng walk with the boys yesterday afternoon, then met up with my folks at their club - the weather was dry & mild but no sunshine - pretty perfect for a good brisk walk actually - then we chilled for an hour or two catching up & chatting with my folks about their vacation, then we came home & watched a movie - Stand by Me.... again!

It's been a real busy weekend for me. Looking forward to getting dinner served, dishes washed & properly settling down for the evening.

Lol. I probably have too much to say on this subject to type on my phone.

For now I will just say, I can't drink coffee on an empty stomach. It NEEDS to be with food of some sort. I've learned that lesson time and time again.

I had green tea with breakfast again. Now it is time for coffee. Hence, the mini-meal. ;)

I've been meaning to come back and clarify.

I can drink coffee on an empty stomach just fine -- it's actually that I just shouldn't.

There needs to be some sort of food involved -- even if it is just FAT.  Otherwise, I feel like it causes blood sugar issues for me (or something).  It enables me to go way too long without eating, and then all of a sudden I want to eat lots of things I shouldn't.  Everything ridiculous sounds good at that moment.   I don't get shaky, I don't really get too hangry...  I just crave really dumb things, and sometimes I just shrug and give into those really dumb cravings.

My husband and I want to get Fitbits. I wanted to get them for us last year for Xmas but we couldn't swing it, financially. This year, the conversations about Fitbit have arisen with our friend groups, and my husband asked me why we want them/why were we going to get them. I thought about it and I told him that they'd motivate us to move more. When I had my Fitbit One (before I washed it and it didn't work), that's what it did for me. It motivated me to do more because I could see my progress. I have a Fitbit Aria scale (of course I can't use it right now because of being on the Whole30 atm), and I love it because it shows my progress over the last few years. That helps me when I"m feeling down. 

Here's another one I've been wanting to come back to.  :)

I'm thinking, thinking, thinking of my clubhouse folks all the time -- I just don't get much quiet time to post.

Anyway -- I just want to say that I am really, really happy about my fitbit decision.  I looked at them several times before I finally made the purchase.  I thought about whether I really needed it or not.  I compared prices.

What I discovered is that I could use my Kohl's cash and some rewards we had "earned"  :rolleyes: -- so I was able to get mine for $60, I think.

I have the fitbit One.  I LOVE the sleep feature.  We hear the Paleo gurus talk about sleep, sleep, sleep... sleep quality, sleep hygiene, etc.  But I had no idea HOW I was sleeping.  Well, it turns out I am sleeping pretty well!  My sleep efficiency is always in the 95-99% range, and I since I got this thing -- my weekly average has always been in the neighborhood of 7-8 hours.  ...Now, I learned the importance of a good nights' sleep long before I got my fitbit.  BUT, I think it does help motivate me to keep sleep pretty high on the priority list.

Also, I gave myself this past week "off" because I felt I really needed it after all that walking on our trip.  I decided I was not going to look, not pay attention to the numbers this week.  And I moved much less.  I'd like to say it's because I got so many awesome projects finished around the house instead -- but that's just not true.  So, I am using this tool to get my butt moving more this week again!  :)

I've got some time to myself today.  My husband has taken all 3 boys -- they have loaded up and gone 4-wheeling for the day.  It's a beautiful fall day here, and I hope they all have fun and come back in one piece.  

I was thinking earlier, while folding laundry:  It is so incredibly rare for me to be alone.  

I love having my kids here, and we wouldn't have it any other way.  But I am surrounded by people, almost every single minute I am awake.  I'll be honest -- the younger two beat me out of bed most days.  I hear them out here making noise, and that's my alarm clock.  They do go to bed long before me, but my teenager stays up as late as I do (and sometimes later).  So, I just really don't get very much quiet time.

I think quiet time is important.  I think sometimes we need to just be alone.  I think I am going to have to work on that.  

I got a Nike Fuel Band when they first came out a few years back. I found the same that it motivated me to move more. I haven't really looked at all the features of the fitbit but it's definitely something I'm considering gifting to myself when the finances allow it. The Fuel Band was *okay*. It was very basic and lacked some simple features which Apple have now pretty much added to the iPhone (the sleep cycle app, heart rate monitor etc) so it was a good thing that the display started to fail after about 6mths and I managed to get a full refund.

I'd not be interested in scales - as a teen as well as seriously restricting my food intake (and MANY other disordered eating habits) I used to weigh myself at the same time each day, three times a day. When I moved to Greece and fell in love with food & cooking I didn't own or have access to a scale and it was so liberating that I didn't actually weigh myself again until I was pregnant with my first born when I got kind of obsessed with weighing again.

After he was born and I toyed with Atkins for a while and managed to get back fairly quickly to my pre pregnancy weight I dumped the scales and haven't owned any since. I weighed at the hospital every other week during my second pregnancy which was considered high risk, and then I didn't weigh again until the day before I started Whole30. I weighed at the end of the first 30 days and I won't be weighing again.

To me weighing takes away from everything that Whole30 teaches - to listen to our bodies & learn to read the hunger signals, and to not to be tied to some preconceived media ideal of how much we should weigh. The number on the scale doesn't tell me how happy I am - it never did, and it never will, and infact it only ever detracted from my happiness.

The motivation to move I'll most definitely take, and any other perks on offer, but the scales I can quite happily live without.

I think quiet time is important.  I think sometimes we need to just be alone.  I think I am going to have to work on that.  

I actually start to get quite tetchy without it.

I'm fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it!) that with being single I get the opportunity to have quiet time when the boys are at their dad's - two nights a week. Sometimes when the schedule has to change due to him going on a weekend away or something and I have the boys with me here on a Friday night I actually feel a bit put out because I'm so used to finishing off my working week with a session at the gym followed by some quiet time at home.

I even resent getting Friday night invites sometimes because they encroach on my quiet time....

I think everybody needs to learn to be comfortable with being alone. It's good for the soul.

You're both correct.  I've spent many years alone but I was never ever lonely.   It's great practice for when the time comes and we all end up alone at particular times in our lives.  I chose to be single,  travel and see the world.  No regrets.  None.

But that time is gone.  I'm married and my heart belongs to my family.  Priorities change.

I think everybody needs to learn to be comfortable with being alone. It's good for the soul.

It may be good for the soul to a certain point, and it's because it's a choice you make... I would love to borrow your and Brewers kids to trade in my loneliness for your alone time :) maybe that is what I ought to do.. Offer my services to parents who need some alone time. Brilliant idea!

It may be good for the soul to a certain point, and it's because it's a choice you make... I would love to borrow your and Brewers kids to trade in my loneliness for your alone time :) maybe that is what I ought to do.. Offer my services to parents who need some alone time. Brilliant idea!

Fair point - and great idea! Therapy for both parties......

Hutlifr.  This time shall pass.   One day,  there'll be a knock on the door.    That's how it happened for me.  I wasn't looking for anything and I wasn't about to settle for Mr. Good Enough or  Mr. He'll Do, I Guess. 

Nah.  I waited and the Universe sent me Mr. Right.  Glad that I didn't rush.   

I am perfectly comfortable here, alone.  But I'm not saying I'd want to be alone all the time.

I just don't think I realize how chaotic things are ~in my mind~ until I am no longer surrounded by people.  Even if they aren't talking TO me, they are still making noise.  Sighing.  Huffing.  Puffing.  Chatter.

I think I use the computer to tune it all out sometimes.  And I do a pretty good job of it.  They love having to repeat themselves because I did not hear one. single. word.  :)

Brewer.  That's right.   You need time alone to think and ponder.   We all do.    

I spend time here visiting while the folkaronies are fast asleep and Bear is busy with biz.   I can be on the phone and still typing, listening to music and looking out the window.    Uh huh....that's right...uh huh...ayup.   

It's all fun.  Really. 

Screen+shot+2011-05-30+at+4.57.06+PM.png

Ok, so I need to increase my fish intake... Got it. I have done the once a day thing for a while, because of low iodine levels. I am still worried about the long term consequences of high levels of ferratine, which can lead to lots of serious diseases. So I am planning to go and see a naturopath when I am back home, and the Chinese acupuncturist. I need to fix that ferratine problem. My intestines are absorbing too much iron. I'll have mom tested for her ferratine level at the next doctors visit, and will ask my dad as well since they both have cardiomyopathy which can be caused by iron overload. Anything else out there I can do, short of getting blood drawn?

I have seen you ask about this a couple of times now, and I'm sorry it took me so long to respond.

Do you mind telling us how old you are?  I really don't know much about you, since I did not hang out on any of the old threads where you got to know Lily.

I have only heard of this being a problem for women who are no longer menstruating, and for men.

I am curious as to how it is that you know your ferritin level is high ~ but your practitioner is not helping you figure out what to do about it?

Also, ferritin is a protein that binds with iron -- but a high ferritin count does not necessarily = a buildup of iron.  Inflammation in the body can also cause high ferritin levels.

Isn't this more common in men than women?

Build up of iron (hemochromatosis) is more common in men and in women who are no longer menstruating.

However, high ferritin level does not necessarily indicate hemochromatosis.  Are you able to click the link I provided?  I tried to click on it again, and it says you have to create an account.   :rolleyes:   No, you don't.

Chapter 7 of Brain Maker:  

Bust a Gut:  Common Exposures That Make a Good Microbiome Go Bad

~ antibiotics

~ the pill

~ NSAIDs

~ environmental chemicals

~ herbicide-laden GMO foods

So much good info here.  

Now I'm off to order my protective bubble!   :wacko:

Archived