Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

ok - one more question.....  do you think it is better to track ketosis with urine strips or blood checks?

I was already thinking to tell you... Jimmy is big on the testing. Blood testing for ketones -- which is expensive! And I honestly do not think it is necessary.

At the time of printing his book, the Ketonix (breath measurement) was on its way but was not available. As you know, I bought one when they came out and I loved that thing! So cool.

HOWEVER. I would get frustrated if the measurement was not where I thought it "should" be, and I would try to analyze it. I would eat more fat, cut back on protein, stick to green veggies only... And, well, I just don't think all of that is necessary for most people. Cool, yes. But sort of like the scale -- how it messes with your mind when a lot of times it really shouldn't.

Jimmy explains that the urine strips are good for telling you that your body is excreting ketones -- and that's about it. So it is an inexpensive way to know that you have figured out how to achieve ketosis. Beyond that -- he says our bodies become more efficient, and basically we won't have as many ketones in the urine, even though we are most definitely still in a ketogenic state. So there is a risk with those of being disappointed with long-term use.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dr. Perlmutter is also is favor of being ketogenic most of the time -- but he does not stress the measuring like Jimmy does. His plan is much more intuitive, I think.

In Grain Brain he does talk about certain grams of carbs. I am really put off by any sort of counting and that is not a direction I would send you in, either. We've both been down the tracking road, and we know where it goes, right? ;)

In Brain Maker, so far I am just seeing food LISTS. I like that. Keto Clarity has them, also. I really think following the food lists as a guide within a mostly Whole-30 template framework is the way to go.

I have been keeping it low-carb and having veggies with every meal, and I am feeling pretty good about it.  

Just last week, I had a FBG of 106 after having some rice the night before, and then sitting on my butt.   Today I woke up to a nice 87.  That's better.    :)

I've had some time to read today in Brain Maker.  My younger boys are doing an arts camp for a few days this week, which means getting up earlier to take them -- but also a few hours mostly to myself.

I'm now on Chapter 6: Feeding Your Microbiome:  "Six Essential Keys to Boosting Your Brain by Boosting Your Gut"

Key #2:  Go Low-Carb, Embrace High-Quality Fat.

"The more sugars consumed -- even artificial ones -- the sicker the microbiome becomes."

"Your caveman counterpart spent a long time hunting for food, and ate only meat (high in fat), fish, and the occasional natural sugar from plants and, if the season was right, fruits.  Your hunting efforts end quickly because you have abundant access to processed fats and sugars."

Actually,  I had two root canals and temporary crowns put on...took all afternoon.   My mouth is throbbing but it had to be done.  I'm still looped de looped. 

We've all been through the wringer a time or two.  I make no guarantees for spelling.  Talk to me.  

Fasting blood glucose.   :)

Thanks, and Nice! Mine has been normal for the longest time, but my cholesterol has been up. I think that women have more issues with blood sugar/glucose and men have more issues with cholesterol. I need to figure out how to tell my naturopath who knows ALL about Paleo WHY to NOT put me on statins. I won't take them. 

Actually,  I had two root canals and temporary crowns put on...took all afternoon.   My mouth is throbbing but it had to be done.  I'm still looped de looped. 

We've all been through the wringer a time or two.  I make no guarantees for spelling.  Talk to me.  

That's alot of dental work! Omg. I am surprised you even checked in! *Empathy* Glad you had some decent pain meds though :)

My brother is coming to visit from Michigan tomorrow. He'll be in Seattle for a week, having a college reunion with 4 friends (2 live here; one is coming up from L.A., and not sure who the other one is), BUT he'll be staying with us for the first night at least. his weight has gone up- he was always really thin, but the last time I Saw him, he actually weighed more than I did. I know that he's been eating healthier but probably not Whole30-style. I can't wait to feed him! I bulk cook alot, so tomorrow night I made BBQ pulled pork (yes the sauce is Paleo AND sugar-free), and I have these can't-wait-to-try purple sweet potatoes to roast to have with the pork. Friday morning, I'm going to have pre-made (tomorrow) some bacon-pumpkin soup that we'll have with HB eggs. His favorite breakfast is always any kind of eggs benedict. Well, we won't be having that here, so it'll be interesting to hear his comments- "No toast?" I'm sure will be one of them. I'll show him my Grain Brain book and perhaps he'll take some time to hang out and read while I do admin work one day :D

My brother is coming to visit from Michigan tomorrow. He'll be in Seattle for a week, having a college reunion with 4 friends (2 live here; one is coming up from L.A., and not sure who the other one is), BUT he'll be staying with us for the first night at least. his weight has gone up- he was always really thin, but the last time I Saw him, he actually weighed more than I did. I know that he's been eating healthier but probably not Whole30-style. I can't wait to feed him! I bulk cook alot, so tomorrow night I made BBQ pulled pork (yes the sauce is Paleo AND sugar-free), and I have these can't-wait-to-try purple sweet potatoes to roast to have with the pork. Friday morning, I'm going to have pre-made (tomorrow) some bacon-pumpkin soup that we'll have with HB eggs. His favorite breakfast is always any kind of eggs benedict. Well, we won't be having that here, so it'll be interesting to hear his comments- "No toast?" I'm sure will be one of them. I'll show him my Grain Brain book and perhaps he'll take some time to hang out and read while I do admin work one day :D

I NEED your bacon pumpkin soup recipe  :P

Thanks, and Nice! Mine has been normal for the longest time, but my cholesterol has been up. I think that women have more issues with blood sugar/glucose and men have more issues with cholesterol. I need to figure out how to tell my naturopath who knows ALL about Paleo WHY to NOT put me on statins. I won't take them. 

Grain Brain is full of info about why you don't need a statin (and why you really don't need to be concerned about your total cholesterol).  

Get out your highlighter!  :)

Got to put my two cents worth in about the statins.

I used to be on statins because - despite a low fat diet (the "cardiac diet"), my cholesterol was near 300.  After a couple of years on the statins, I developed muscle and joint aches and pains.  My dr chose to stop the statins at that time, with a plan to restart them after 6 months.  During that time, I found w30.  I also learned that the low fat cardiac diet was not evidence based practice, but rather, a bunch of lies that a dr convincingly sold to the people.  (His "research" is now being found to be highly flawed - and flat out wrong).  

When it came time to restart the statins, I asked my dr if we could hold off.  He was in agreement as long as my labs were "horrible".  

Yesterday, I got my yearly labs back from my Dr:

Trig:  219 (with a note for a goal of <150)

Chol:  214 (compare that to the almost 300 from a few years ago on a low fat diet)

HDL:  37 (yes, I need to work on this)

LDL:  136 (again, lower than it has been in years)

VLDL: 44 (don't pay much attention to this one  :P )

Lancerlott:  My advice (humble as it may be) - talk to your doctor.  Ask if you can stay off the statins if you can continue to show improvement in your lab work.  Continue to eat well (including good fats) and exercise - and prove that the low fat diet is a myth  :)

Karen -- Lancer --

Jimmy Moore's Cholesterol Clarity book is literally an entire, full-sized book on this subject.  I own it -- I just haven't finished it yet.  But there is way too much info for me to share here.

One quote:

"It's very clear that the things you should be most concerned about with your lipids are your HDL and your VLDL, otherwise known as your triglycerides level.  When your HDL is low and your VLDL level is high, this means your metabolic system is out of whack.  It is a very important sign of underlying issues, like insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, which are the things you should really be worried about bringing under control.  These are important signs that your health is in danger."  -- Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, page 115

Okay, another:

"HDL has been all but ignored by mainstream medicine, which focuses almost exclusively on LDL and total cholesterol.  And yet it can be argued that this number (along with triglycerides) is the best predictor of heart disease risk.  To derive the biggest benefits for your cardiovascular health, you want your HDL cholesterol at 70 mg/dL or higher, which is more than what mainstream experts recommend.  Anything below 50 should be cause for concern."  -- page 198

And one more:

"In general, the lower you can make your VLDL-C, the better off your heart health will be.  Aim for between 10 and 14 mg/dL VLDL."  -- page 199

------

If your numbers are off -- what do you suppose the answer is?  Too much carbohydrate.  Book after book after book after book, this is the answer I am coming up with.

Lancer, your cooking skills make me want to hang my head....but sigh and alas,  I can't compete with bacon-pumpkin soup and your BBQ.  I knew you were a chef.

Okay, WAKE UP!!!!   Let's hit the ground running.  

Nuuu Lily! I just have good recipes to work with :) That soup DOES take a couple of hours in total, though, to make. I only made it one other time, last year. The BBQ was easy, once I had the Paleo sauce made. Slow cookers are great! 

Archived