Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

I did have a couple of things come up that really ...disturbed me, I guess would be the word.  It's really hard for me to know all that I know and not be able to help a lot of the people we care about.  I have an internal struggle because I want to speak up, and at the same time I don't want to.  I am always trying to decide whether to say something or not.  A few things I had to let go...  a couple of things I could not.

The neighbor who I was told was doing Atkins is actually doing "The Metabolic Diet".  I'm gonna have to look that one up.  She said she couldn't eat my deviled eggs because she can't have mayo.   :mellow:   She didn't know whether olives were on her list or not.  She didn't know whether she could eat celery or not.  I have no idea what she ate.  I sat right next to her, but did not look!

I know how you feel.  I was very lucky that when I met up with my old high school friend, he felt the same way about nutrition and "med-less medicine".  He is a massage therapist and very big into essential oils.  He readily admits that he hasn't read a lot about specific diets, but does agree that whole food/clean eating is the best thing to do.  His 6 year old niece has lung cancer and he has been researching that - and appalled at how the processed food, low antioxidant foods etc is a major player in cancer formation and growth.  

As far as your neighbor on the "Metabolic Diet", I just don't understand how people can say they are "on the diet" when they don't know what they can and cannot eat (or what it is doing to them).  You end up in a rut, eating the same few foods over and over and over again - and then you binge on the junk that you have been missing purely because your taste buds want something other than the three things you have been eating.  The really interesting thing is that mayonnaise is one of the allowable foods on the metabolic diet.  (Metabolic diet is basically an extremely low carb diet with high protein and fat during the week, then eating what you want on the weekends - in moderation of course).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaaah heckatoot,  I can just imagine budgeting gummy bears, licorice, pizza and pasta bowls with garlic bread every weekend.   Sniff..snort coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572snort.   I'm laughing coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572my hindend off thinking about that one.  I mean really,  I could just roll around on the floor and howl with laughter. coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572

I double dog dare anyone out there who has some serious grain popcorn1-smiley.gif?1292867655triggers (baked goods) -  to eat an entire plate of holiday goodies that the neighbor lady always fixes for you.  Try that on for size every weekendpizza-smiley.gif?1292867655and see if the shoe fits. no-points-smiley.gif?1292867644 If the shoe fits you must acquit and quit while the shoe fits are you will fall out of the carriage at some point.    Me...assuaging my triggers every weekend.match-box-smiley.gif?1292867636  Nuh huh.  

Well, she surely was not eating whatever she wanted to this weekend.   :lol:

Oh, goodness.....   I am not even looking it up.  Her husband was the one who patted his big belly as I was leaving, and told me he liked my garlic-stuffed olives, but he shouldn't have any more "because they are fattening".   :(

:rolleyes:

:o

:blink:

:unsure:

^ Full range of emotions I went through before I decided to just let it go.............  Let it go, Brewer!

So.  We started building a hillbilly fence today, and we are finally going to let the kids get a dog.  We are going to start looking at the local rescue, which is conveniently right around the corner from our house.  Hopefully we will know when we've found ~just the right one~.  We have to find something that doesn't make my middle child snot & sneeze like a maniac.  He does not have allergy problems on a regular basis, but certain animals really set him off!

I am also looking into getting chickens.  Our dream has been for so long to MOVE to the country and get animals, but that just isn't happening.  So, I'm starting to think about getting chicks one of these days.  We may wait until spring, but I am starting to do my research.  I decided tonight on the Australorp breed:

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-18%20at%2011.23.

Are those just the cutest things or what?!   :lol:

Let it go, Louie.   That's what we always say....especially at family reunions.  There's so much to let go or else we really have to quit having reunions altogether.   Someone has a secret family recipe that they will not share with others and it's probably just a fig newton of their imagination in the first place.  It doesn't amount to a hill of beans and who cares if  Auntie Em has the only family cookie recipe that's been passed down through a 100 generations.   I'm not eating them anyway and I don't give a rat's a%$   who or where the recipe came from. I don't use recipes and I'm going to use them for frisbees when no one is looking.

article-2230165-15EA716A000005DC-239_634

So, after a very adventurous day of travel (planes returning to gate from the runway for sick passenger, having to run to connecting flight and getting there just in time before the doors closed, early arrival then sitting on Tarmac for a gate for 45 minutes effectively turning into late arrival, luggage getting left in connecting city, holding up the shuttle.....). I didn't eat until mid afternoon. The at that point 87. (Maybe I just have to fast for 20 hours to get good readings). Had a omelette with chunky salsa for lunch. For dinner, I splurged. Mexican restaurant.... Chips, carnitas salad, and a margirita:). Today: FBS 90 :). Maybe I need a nightly maragrita :)

Maybe I need a nightly maragrita :)

Hahaha, somehow I don't think so.   :lol:   

Dr. Perlmutter does approve a glass of red wine with dinner if we so choose, and it's supposed to be good for our gut bacteria.

He really hasn't discussed other alcohol, one way or the other (which I am sort of disappointed about) -- but of course we all know he's very down on sugar.

Enjoy yourself, my friend!  Your trip sounds amazing.  {So glad to hear you made it through all of that airplane craziness!}

Today I got to meet up with my friend from high school -- the one who had the hysterectomy about 5 weeks ago.  I never did get up there to see her, since every day I was available (read: Fridays only  :rolleyes: ), she already had her mom coming to help.

Anyway, she was going to be down my way, so we met up at a state park and did a little walk through the woods.  I will NOT call this a "hike" -- I know what Karen is out there doing right now!   haha

All six of our kids (ages 5-14) scrambling up a hill together (the spot of neon green is my middle):

IMG_8218.jpg

I think it was the first time we had ALL of our kids together.  Hopefully it's not the last!  The weather was great, she is feeling better, and the walk was nice.

I've been over 10,000 steps the past 2 days and it feels really good.  I gotta get back to meeting that goal on a regular basis.

Just finishing up Brain Maker while at the art center tonight. I have abandoned my "Wednesday Workout" after quickly burning out on the stairs in this place. I would MUCH MUCH rather be racking up floors on my fitbit out in nature. I can't believe I wouldn't fit in Karen's suitcase. :(

:D

There is so much great info in this book, but not as many quotes that stand out for me to share. It is all very deep. Still a lot of unknowns about our microbiome, but one thing for sure: We've made a mess of it. Isn't that just what we do, as humans? Go and make a big damn mess of things and then scramble to try to figure out how to get out of it.

But we are getting there. He talks a lot about fecal transplants, and if you somehow haven't heard of that, let me tell you -- YOU WILL. He shares a couple of great stories, he touches on the Human Microbiome Project, and he compares this to the beginning of the space program. I believe it.

The main thing I can pass on to my friends, besides telling you to read the book, is this: Consider probiotics. A supplement AND fermented foods. I have some work to do in this department. I confess I browsed through the recipes and my ADD took over. Lol. Too many ingredients, too many steps, not enough time. <--- That is what immediately wen through my head.

This posted and I lost a couple of paragraphs -- ack! I will have to post again later. I wasn't finished! :)

Brewer - 

I haven't read that book, but when you say a probiotic supplement, what type do you mean?  A pill/gelcap? Are there any in particular the book recommends.  I'm also curious why eating a variety of fermented vegetables isn't considered getting enough probiotics. I get LOTS of fermented vegetables in, and on a daily basis.  My husband actually makes lacto-fermented vegetables like kraut, kimchi, and curtido for a living... they do kombucha and water kefir too. Good stuff!

The rest of my post went something like this:

We have a couple of different probiotics at home in the fridge, but I don't take them on a regular basis. Generally when someone is not feeling their best, they come to mind.

I have realized, also, that there were two times in my life when I really lost weight ~without meaning to~ and I have said before that sugar was completely out during those times, but also -- I was getting probiotics on a daily basis. Correlation does not equal causation, but it is interesting to note the connection, especially in light of all he has to say about the Firmicutes bacteria contributing to obesity. Thinner people have more of the Bacteriodetes.

I would like to get to the point of following his recommendations re: fermented food. But for now I will start with a daily probiotic commitment again. This book has been great at pointing out that we need not have digestive issues specifically, to reap the benefits of probiotics.

Stephany, he is big on fermented food. BIG. Lots of info there. But he is also talking about prebiotics, probiotic enemas being highly effective, supplemental probiotics, fecal transplants, etc.... I guess you'd have to read the book to get the entire picture. Like I said, just way too much info for me to share here.

Just finishing up Brain Maker while at the art center tonight. I have abandoned my "Wednesday Workout" after quickly burning out on the stairs in this place. I would MUCH MUCH rather be racking up floors on my fitbit out in nature. I can't believe I wouldn't fit in Karen's suitcase. :(

:D

! :)

Aw - I wish you could have joined us! Hard, but very rewarding hiking! The views are out of this world :)

Aw - I wish you could have joined us! Hard, but very rewarding hiking! The views are out of this world :)

I seriously thought as I was typing this that it would be really cool to get to visit & go hiking with you someday.

I grew up visiting the Smoky Mountains, and we have taken the kids a few times.  I wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail someday.  

...You never know, I just might!  :)

I really wonder how Lancer is doing.  I know the Whole 30 was finished, and the re-intros were to begin.......  Hey, Lancer -- if you're out there -- hope all is going well!  :)

Karen, I've been following along on your blog.  These hikes sound really cool.  But I'd like to see more pictures!  Come on, I know you've taken hundreds.....  :lol:   ...Yeah, I know, you're tired at the end of the day & just enjoying your vacation.  But I hope you can share more someday.

Things here have been great.  Now that the sports are done, I've had time to work on projects at home that have needed done for months.  I'm drinking green tea every day.  Having vegetables with every meal.  Avoiding restaurants pretty successfully.  Walking.  And starting a new phase of my lifting program today.  

Thinking of you all & hope you are doing well, too.  

So, uhhh, I had to look up fecal transplant. Wow, whaaaat? I have never heard of that. hahaha. I dunno about that one.  You're basically ingesting somebody else's poop in some way or another.  :huh:

Anyway, going back to "mature adult" mind.. I'll have to look more into prebiotics.  Along with the fermented vegetables, I have been taking a daily dose of the Blue Ice fermented cod liver oil with butter oil as a supplement.  

So today is Day 30 for me! Woohoo! Tomorrow I'm going to reintroduce dairy and see how that goes. I have a feeling it'll be one of the ones that has an adverse reaction.  Here's hoping I don't go off the rails and shove a whole container of ice cream or frozen custard in my face.  I am curious, though, how I will react to raw dairy because I do really like raw milk and raw cheese (the Amish farmers around here have the good stuff). I might do a separate reintroduction for raw dairy.  Lots of people who can't handle pasteurized dairy are okay with raw milk and raw cheese.

Congratulations, Stephany -- and good luck with your re-intros.  :)

And on the fecal transplant -- I am telling you, it can do amazing things.  It is only approved for C. diff infections here in the US, but Dr. Perlmutter is confident that that will change soon.  It has been approved and in practice in Europe for years, and he tells stories (amazing stories) of patients of his who have traveled there to do it.

He also shares how there are ancient texts which outline the use of poop for various ailments thousands of years ago.  It is pretty interesting stuff.  If you are really into this sort of thing, I highly recommend the book.  He is truly a pioneer -- you will be able to look back and say, "Hey, I heard about that from some lady on the internet YEARS ago!"   :lol:

I had a lesson last night about why reintros are important. I'm not on a Whole30, but I happened to have both peanut butter and egg nog during the evening.

I got a scratchy swollen throat and really itchy palms which was an especially unique symptom for me.

Keep on that straight and narrow path, folks! Going astray ain't worth it!

I'm not doing garlic right now, but this looks like it might be a good sauce/dip to try - especially for the likes of your veggie tray Brewer... I love me some ACV...

http://theheartysoul.com/roasted-garlic-and-apple-cider-vinegar/?t=JERF

That looks amazing, jmcbn! I'm going to make that ASAP. What was it you said about ACV having to have something in it? (My memory fails me)

Archived