Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

I really wonder how Lancer is doing.  I know the Whole 30 was finished, and the re-intros were to begin.......  Hey, Lancer -- if you're out there -- hope all is going well!   :)

Karen, I've been following along on your blog.  These hikes sound really cool.  But I'd like to see more pictures!  Come on, I know you've taken hundreds.....  :lol:   ...Yeah, I know, you're tired at the end of the day & just enjoying your vacation.  But I hope you can share more someday.

Things here have been great.  Now that the sports are done, I've had time to work on projects at home that have needed done for months.  I'm drinking green tea every day.  Having vegetables with every meal.  Avoiding restaurants pretty successfully.  Walking.  And starting a new phase of my lifting program today.  

Thinking of you all & hope you are doing well, too.  

Hiya! I'm doing fine. My brother was here for a WEEK, and he's not easily entertained. He drug me out of the house and away from the salon whenever possible, on drives around town, to parks and viewpoints that I didn't know existed. I cooked for him also when he stayed overnight with us (he also spent time with his friends in another part of town), and he enjoyed everything I made for him. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main thing I can pass on to my friends, besides telling you to read the book, is this: Consider probiotics. A supplement AND fermented foods. I have some work to do in this department. I confess I browsed through the recipes and my ADD took over. Lol. Too many ingredients, too many steps, not enough time. <--- That is what immediately wen through my head.

I've been taking probiotic supplements twice a day for almost a year now. The one I take is called "Vital-10", by Klaire Labs:

http://www.klaire.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=V085-10

Idk if they've helped me to lose weight or not, but they sure have helped things internally. I do think that I should trry fermented foods, but Idk where to start. Ideas are welcome! :)

That looks amazing, jmcbn! I'm going to make that ASAP. What was it you said about ACV having to have something in it? (My memory fails me)

'The Mother' - must contain 'The Mother' - and undoubtedly like your own lovely mom you'll know her when you see her!  :blink:  :D

I've been taking probiotic supplements twice a day for almost a year now. The one I take is called "Vital-10", by Klaire Labs:

Idk if they've helped me to lose weight or not, but they sure have helped things internally. I do think that I should trry fermented foods, but Idk where to start. Ideas are welcome! :)

I started with some very simple recipes that I found online for dilled green bean and garlic carrots.  Try this:

www.culturesforhealth.com/naturally-pickled-dilly-green-beans-recipe  

This is a basic recipe - but you can experiment from there :).  I just googled "fermented green beans" - but don't forget you can do just about any vegetable.  I even made some fermented Kraut!

When I first started making them, I would begin tasting the beans at about one week and try them every couple of days until I got the desired "sharpness" that I wanted.  Once you put them in the fridge to store, it stops the fermenting process.  (The good bugs are still in there, just not growing).  

I had a lesson last night about why reintros are important. I'm not on a Whole30, but I happened to have both peanut butter and egg nog during the evening.

I got a scratchy swollen throat and really itchy palms which was an especially unique symptom for me.

Keep on that straight and narrow path, folks! Going astray ain't worth it!

I'll keep holding on.  I wasted all those years and tears...I'll keep holding on.

Are there any health food markets near you that sell fermented foods?  Kimchi and sauerkraut are excellent.  Make sure they are raw and lacto-fermented. If the jar isn't in the refrigerator section at the store, then it's total crap and you should stay far away from it (because that means it's either cooked or has preservatives).  If things like pickled vegetables list vinegar as an ingredient, they aren't actually fermented.  Vinegar in vegetables was an industrial shortcut that was created long ago to mimic the taste of fermented foods and as a preservative.  So all those dill pickles you see with vinegar and salt (and often times sugar)... sorry, but they suck and have little to no nutritional value.

When you get home, keep it in the fridge... and don't cook it when you're going to eat it. Think of it as a raw condiment or side dish.. cooking it destroys all the beneficial enzymes and bacteria.  You can eat it with each meal if you like... and honestly, it's ideal to get to a point to eat it with each meal, as it aids in digestion.  Also, when you get to the end of the jar... drink the juice/brine that settles to the bottom of the jar.  This is like a super concentrated version of eating the vegetables.. some of the best, most potent nutrients are in the brine, so you don't want to throw that in the trash and assume it's just leftovers.

Oh my goodness, we went to the local farm store tonight and they had my little black chicks IN STOCK.   :lol:   Australorp.  Right there.  Just looking for a good home!

I have a few scrapes and scratches from my husband dragging me out of the store........  But I think I'm gonna be okay.

Seriously, though -- I thought we were going to have to order them in the mail.  They send day-old chicks in the mail, with a special little heater in the package, but still... some of them will likely die along the way.   :(   This is so much better!  These ones are a little older (pullets), and we can just go buy them locally when the time is right.  So glad!

I've been wanting to go back through my old Whole 30 logs to find some things I remember saying.  I have a big post all wrote up in my head   :rolleyes:  but I don't know if I will ever actually get it all typed out.  Anyway -- for now, I am going to paste these things here so I can reference them later.

Lily has told me many times that we don't need to log our food here, because Tom has told her so.  And that may be the case.  I don't know that the food is super important, unless you are having a problem and need it evaluated for feedback.  But I, for one, find these thoughts & feelings we've all recorded here to be priceless.  So often, we can go back and read our own words for inspiration and clarity.

-----------------------

5/10/14:

I know every family is different, but in this family I have realized I really do set the example.  If I am eating better, we all eat better.  If I give in to cravings for junk, we ALL eat junk.  It's not my kids.  It's not my husband.  It all comes down to me.  They pretty much go along with whatever I say.  That, my friends, is a blessing and a curse.  LOL  Talk about pressure to do things right.....  

5/31/14:

Although it seems at the time that hitting a restaurant/drive-through would help reduce stress, because I don't even really have to think about supper, let alone cook it...  I believe that it actually causes more stress in the form of none of us feeling our best + the guilt I feel about knowing we are eating junk too often + the added expense.  Restaurants with a family of 5 are NOT cheap, even when you try to do it "cheaply".

Has anyone heard about the BARF diet for their dogs?   :lol:

http://www.barfworld.com/html/learn_more/what_is_barf.shtml

"The philosophy behind using BARF is that the diet a dog or cat evolved to eat - over many millions of years of evolution - is the best way to feed it. This is the hypothesis accepted by most modern zoos or any zoologist concerned with preserving a species of an endangered animal. It is not the theory endorsed by most pet food companies or the people they train - and that includes unfortunately - many vets. If you want to feed your dog BARF, it means not feeding your dog cooked and or processed food. That is, not feeding your dog a diet based on cooked grains, no matter how persuasive the advertising. Artificial grain based dog foods cause innumerable health problems. They are not what your dog was programed to eat during its long process of evolution."

Well, I haven't talked much about Feingold lately, but I just want to say -- there's definitely a noticeable difference when we aren't 100% consistent with it.   :(

We all have a renewed commitment to his program, after venturing into some things that were not on his food lists.....  And dealing with The Dark Cloud on pretty much a daily basis lately.

See, it doesn't always happen immediately.  If the change was IMMEDIATE, then you could IMMEDIATELY correct the course and get back on track.

But guess what it does?  It can creep.  Like Lily and I talked about The Creep here awhile ago -- and how it is very real.

It's just like when we start to stray from the Whole 30 way of eating.  "Well, I can have some of this...  Well, I think I do okay with that..."   

And before you know it, you're right back to having multiple things on a daily basis -- which adds up to quite an increase on the Total Load for your body.

I can't fully explain everything that makes up this wonderful and frustrating child...  I can just tell you that there is SO much going on "behind the scenes" with all of us that we are not aware of.  I love figuring things out, making connections, continuing to learn and doing the best I can for all of us.  

Sometimes it is downright exhausting.  Sometimes I get things wrong.  But I think the most important part is that we all keep trying.

Mission Creep is the expansion of a project or mission beyond its original goals, often after initial successes. Mission creep is usually considered undesirable due to the dangerous path of each success breeding more ambitious attempts, only stopping when a final, often catastrophic, failure occurs. The term was originally applied exclusively to military operations but has recently been applied to many different fields.

Dairy has that creeping effect on me.

For instance, I can (& sometimes do) have one latte without effect, but add to that some butter in my eggs, or some cream in a sauce over the course of a few days (as happened on my summer vacation) and that cough is back, accompanied by the runny nose/nasal congestion, poor sleep & nasty cataarh.

Yoghurt worked well when I had it the once a few weeks back, but I suspect if I reintroduced it regularly (or at least more than once every so often as was the case in my preWhole30 days) that it would be the same.

Gluten, grains & soy/legumes however have an immediate effect that I really don't care for.

All baked goods have 3 ingredients.  Sugar.  Flour.  Fat.  

Their formations may vary with a few extra tiddlywinks...but it's all the same no matter how you slice it.

Gummy Bears - Corn syrup,  sugar sugar, upside down sugar, citric acid and gelatin.  No big whoop there either. When you break these mission creeps down into their lowest common denominator....they're all major suckage.

I don't worry about gluten because it's grains in their entirety that cause me huge problems.  No grains and no probs.   Wild Rice is a grass..no side effects.  I can have blackeyed peas and some legumes...doesn't bother me.   

It's sugar in every form and all refined carbs that caused all of my former weight gain.   If I fell backwards into those...all of it would rebound back.   Not going there.   Job Done.    

It's the weirdest thing.  If you change a font midstream...your post completely disappears. That post is completely blank up above.  You can reset, log on and off - doesn't matter.  It happens every time, used to happen to Miki, too.  She'd scream...where did my fonts and colors go..only the shadow knows. Usually comes back a day later.   

ghostbusters-music-video.gif

Who ya gonna call?

I came back to say that we have actually been doing really well with phasing out the approved "products" on his list like GF pizza crust, tortilla chips, etc. And I have a whole post wrote up in my head about people who say they "can't afford" to eat healthy. FOR US, when money is tight -- the list gets pared down to what is serving a nutritional purpose. Lately, that has been meat, eggs, veggies, fruits. The kids are still eating some sunbutter, we all like some macadamia nuts & some (really) dark chocolate. We have not been buying cheese. Most meals have been protein + veggies + fat. I have really been working at it.

The things he has had ~ off the top of my head ~ ... Well, the day of the cookout I pretty much gave him a free pass because he had already been trying a few things & doing okay. He had apples, grapes, unapproved bacon, mustard with paprika... He's had some tomatoes, white cheese dip from a Mexican restaurant, oh yeah -- I let him have fried rice & teriyaki chicken from Panda Express :o ... See how The Creep happens? Last night, we got him a BLT lettuce wrap from Jimmy John's because brother got to go to a pizza party for his football team... Then he had some of Dad's crappy potato chips... And by this morning I was like, Wow, we are done with THIS! Lol

See, I came here to say I really hadn't done *that* bad with him lately -- but like I said, when I type it all out, you get the idea. We've little by little increased his Total Load to a point that is not good for him -- which in turn, is not good for ANY of us.

I find it very interesting that you have been talking about "The Creep" at this particular time.  

Although (since I am on vacation), I have not been paying attention to a "real" re-intro, I have done fairly well with maintaining, with a treat every couple of days. The interesting part is that I have been reading Keto-clarity (thanks Brewer5) while I have been here, and have been thinking about what I am going to do when I get home.  I have had success with w30.  I feel G.O.O.D. when I stay off the grains, sugars, and dairy.  However, having never done a full re-intro, I don't know if it is any or all of those three things that made me feel so bad.  My gut tells me that it is most the sugars.  I wonder if the dairy did cause the stuffiness, etc that people have talked about.  Since I have had ice cream two times this week, it would be easy to say that the little bit of stuffiness I have (ears, back of throat in morning) is from that.  However, it could also be the total change of pace (read:  physically exhausting myself almost every day), getting chilled on my walk the other day, the change of weather, or so many other things.

So, although w30 has helped me lose weight in the past, and helped me feel better, I feel the need to try something new.  Nutritional ketosis that Jimmy Moore talks about is making a lot of sense to me right now.  The hard part is going to be trying to stay "high fat" while staying w30.  Yes, there are plenty of fats out there that are w30 compliant, but in his book, J Moore relies a lot on dairy fat.  

My dilemma:  Follow Jimmy's book to the letter (including the sample plan at the end of the book), or try to adapt it to w30.....  I guess I have another week to make up my mind :)

Kirkor...did you ever make that cheesecake?  I thought it about for a long while but I never bought that cream cheese and made one.     Things went in spurts like that for me.   I would linger long in certain aisles of the grocery store, squeeze things,  play with it and leave it there.  

It took everything within my being in the beginning to stay out of the middle aisles of the grocery store. Everything I need is on the outside perimeters and I stay in my own lane...the busiest aisle in the store is that cookie/cracker one.   I see that's where the traffic is backed up.   Mothers and kids,  the old and young...lingering long on the oreos and goldfish crackers.   Time to get the vaudeville hook...and yank them away from there. 

They say ...whoever they are..that there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker.  Or a reformed cookie monster.  That would be me. 

I find it very interesting that you have been talking about "The Creep" at this particular time.  

....However, having never done a full re-intro, I don't know if it is any or all of those three things that made me feel so bad.  My gut tells me that it is most the sugars.  I wonder if the dairy did cause the stuffiness, etc that people have talked about.....

So, although w30 has helped me lose weight in the past, and helped me feel better, I feel the need to try something new.  Nutritional ketosis that Jimmy Moore talks about is making a lot of sense to me right now.  The hard part is going to be trying to stay "high fat" while staying w30.  Yes, there are plenty of fats out there that are w30 compliant, but in his book, J Moore relies a lot on dairy fat.  

My dilemma:  Follow Jimmy's book to the letter (including the sample plan at the end of the book), or try to adapt it to w30.....  I guess I have another week to make up my mind :)

Why not come home, do a STRICT Whole30, followed by a formal reintro so that you are better educated as to what you can and cannot eat without symptoms?

Then you'll know exactly what is the right direction for you to take.

Archived