Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Karen, thanks, I am feeling better now. :) And funny you mentioned tequila -- because that is what I have done really well with lately. I can have a few ounces of silver tequila with a can of plain sparkling water on ice -- and I am okay with that. I'm not saying it's ideal -- but it's as close to perfect I can get IF I am going to have a drink.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Brewer how was the Witches Brew? I've never tried it because the whole mulled/warm wine thing never appealed to me. Did you warm it over a fire? That could be kind of fun, like witches brewing something in a cauldron in the woods.

They say that if you have a child who responds well to Feingold, one of the parents is most likely sensitive, as well.  ...Well, guess what?  It's not my husband.    :ph34r:

And I know this is a serious post and I shouldn't make light of it, but I hafta say, this did give me a chuckle.  :D

During my re-introduction recently I had this delicious cocktail at a trendy bar in town... it had Celebration Aquavit (a dill liquor distilled from corn, made in Minnesota) with coconut cream, lime, basil, and cayenne.  I had two and got a splitting headache and felt like crap for most of the next day.  

Wine generally makes me feel sleepy and depressive... and I had some wine another time with re-intros and predictably felt pretty down the next day.  I've tossed around the idea of giving up drinking for a while too, but haven't quite made it there yet.

kirkor, chuckle away at my expense.  It's fine.   :lol:

The Witches Brew was good & would have been even better heated up, like you said.  But by the time I cracked that baby open, I had already split a bottle of Apothic Red with my mom.  So -- there was no time for any fancy stuff like taking time to warm it up.  Just down the gullet, like a moron.  I am fairly certain I drank the entire bottle ~alone~ and I have a LARGE chunk of time completely missing from my evening.  I recommend, if you are going to try it -- please don't follow my example.  Good friends don't let friends be total morons.  :)

I haven't.   :mellow:  Sorry to hear that!

He did come out with an entire cookbook........  And I just went to check the reviews and they are good.  Maybe he has learned a thing or two about recipes.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0316334251?keywords=grain%20brain%20cookbook&qid=1446085486&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I might check that out. Yeah....some of the other resipes of his I've made recently that were better, BUT way too time-consuming. I'm so dead this week from all of the "playing kitchen". 

kirkor, chuckle away at my expense.  It's fine.   :lol:

The Witches Brew was good & would have been even better heated up, like you said.  But by the time I cracked that baby open, I had already split a bottle of Apothic Red with my mom.  So -- there was no time for any fancy stuff like taking time to warm it up.  Just down the gullet, like a moron.  I am fairly certain I drank the entire bottle ~alone~ and I have a LARGE chunk of time completely missing from my evening.  I recommend, if you are going to try it -- please don't follow my example.  Good friends don't let friends be total morons.   :)

sample3.png

Lancer -- on the subject of recipes -- have you heard of crack slaw?  I have seen people here talking about it, and one woman recommended this recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/crack-slaw-low-carb-434863

I have made it twice.  Lots of modifications both times, based on what I have on hand.  And it still turned out great!  For tonight's batch, I added some raw cashew pieces (also from TJs).  My son says it tastes like something from Panda Express.  Hey -- I'll take that!  We LOVE Panda Express.   :)

So I just looked at that recipe again, with more focus. 1) No Splenda for me, and 2) The 2nd ingredient in most sriracha sauces is sugar. Reasons that is crack slaw- cuz of sugar. Now, if I can make it without the Splenda and if I can make my own sriracha sauce without any sweetener, I might give it a go, but even this homemade sriracha sauce recipe contains sugar: http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-hot-sauce-rec2-20130126-story.html

Now, I have made another recipe in the past that called for sriracha sauce, and I used Tapatio sauce instead, with success for me. Cuz...if I'm going to have sugar in something, I want to know it, and have it be awesome! :)

Kmlynne- I got some fermented pickles from my Co-Op today and had one small one with my lunch. What a trip! Nothing like any other pickles, and it was a bit, shall I say, MUCH for me, but something I can probably adjust myself to, slowly, over time. 

Give it another try - especially when you make your own.  The longer they sit out on the counter, the stronger they get.  Start tasting after about a week - try them each day and see how tart you like them.  Also, I find that beans and carrots don't seem to get as strong as something like pickles.

There's dogs and then there's dogs.   I believe dogs can fix whatever is ailing a person.   Bear has many stories about dogs throughout his life.   Dogs are good medicine and therapy.  They're healers.  Dogs unify a family and hold it together like glue.   Dogs are the best friends in the world.  They learn to read you like a book.  They understand everything that's going on.   

Bear has one dog that he thinks about every single day.  They get inside your heart and stay there forever. They're not children, of course, but dogs are truly the gift that keeps on giving.  puppy-kisses-smiley.gif?1292867658They don't care if your hair is a tee total wreck or if their owner lives under a bridge in a cardboard box.  They're loyal and true until the end.  Bear says dogs make humans more human...all of us better people.  The bonding that goes on with a dog.   The eyes and tilted heads as they read your mind.  The way they look after children and sleep on their beds.   

It all starts out in the dog crate but that doesn't last every long.  I could go on forever about dogs.   I believe we'll see dogs in heaven.  Not the ones who are mean and bite children.  

Rocket.  May your family enjoy every single day with Rocket.  It goes by in a flash.

Quakes yesterday in Phoenix. tumble-weed-smiley.gif?1292867692   The ground is moving and shaking everywhere.   Change.

I feel the change coming.  I'll check back in with you.   I'm somewhere in the future and I'm still sticking the landing.   I'm no longer standing at the door.   I'm walking on beyond but I will come see the peoples,  the hostess with the mostest, Brewer,   Rocket,  Kmlynne,  Kirkor, jmcbn, Tom Denham, Hutlifr, Lancer, dcducks, Miki, Laurie, Higs, CC/Rick.  So long now. 

Oh!  What a sweet face Rocket has!!!!! 

Alcohol isn't my friend either.  I am very reactive to sugar - so it does crazy things to me.  Tequila and white wine is about the only alcohols I can *tolerate* reasonably well.  My favourite used to be Canadian Whisky (Rye).  I still love the taste of it - albeit it's too sweet now - but it's not my friend.  Red wine I have never really cared for - but I have enjoyed it at times in the past.  Now it gives me a hella hangover ever after a half glass.

AWE - Rocket is sooooo cute  :P   I've been missing my puppies this week - even the beagle!

Lily - I felt the earthquake last night!!!!!  I totally missed the one in Camp Verde in the morning - either it wasn't too noticeable or it was just at a time that I was too busy to notice.  The one last night was unsettling - and I have been in earthquakes before.  I was just getting back to sleep when I felt an aftershock....  needless to say, I didn't sleep very well for the night.

Part of the reason that I didn't sleep well was because I didn't want to oversleep - I had a big day that started early this morning, knocking off an item from my bucket list...  a Hot Air Balloon Ride!!!!  Loved it!

Can't believe that I am going to be heading home tomorrow.  Am going to call my DR today to get an appointment to talk to him about the keto diet (I want him to check some extra bloodwork first).  Even if he can't work me in right away, I will start when I get home....  *sigh* the vacation is over....

I have to admit red wine doesn't agree with me. I've never been one to drink alcohol of any description through the week as many of my friends do, but I used to be partial to a glass of red wine with my dinner on a Saturday night, and then of course I'd finish the bottle. If I was out with friends to eat one bottle would easily become two, and I'd *often* have parts of the evening I couldn't remember at all, and that's not a situation I liked being in. 

I stopped drinking red wine completely last November when I had my braces fitted as I was told the wine would stain the wires, and I haven't had a glass since. In February a friend was raving about a bottle of Red he'd bought and how I MUST try it - I took one small sip and the smell & taste totally overwhelmed me - it took me right back to a place I don't ever want to be.

I can happily enjoy a glass or two of prosecco (I've no problem stopping at the one glass), and I do enjoy the odd gin (or v occasional tequila) with seltzer with lime, but those Red Wine days are (gladly) in my dark & distant past.

<shudder>

I was on a brief vacation in the South of Ireland with my boys again for a few days and was really impressed to see the allergen info on the Hotel Bar/Restaurant/Cafe/Room Service menus..... & then the same info on the menu of a Tapas restaurant we ate in - I'm fairly au fait with ordering off of a menu but it sure made eating out a whole lot less  of a game of russion roulette...!!

FullSizeRender1.jpg

Lupin (sometimes called “lupine”) is a legume belonging to the same plant family as peanuts. “For many people, eating lupin or a lupin-derived ingredient, such as a flour, is safe,” says Stefano Luccioli, M.D., a senior medical advisor at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). “But there are reports in the medical literature of allergic reactions to lupin, some of which can be severe.”

But lupin is likely to become more popular, especially because lupin-derived ingredients are good substitutes for gluten-containing flours and are frequently being used in gluten-free products.

Although lupin is a food staple for many Europeans—who may be more aware of its allergenic properties and are accustomed to seeing it listed as a food ingredient—it is relatively new to the U.S. market. Some Americans may not have heard of this legume, which can be found in the form of lupini beans at Italian and other ethnic specialty stores, as well as in packaged food products.

- Consumer Updates

Archived