Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had no idea that celery was a big allergen...? And what is Lupin? I could google it but I am tiiiired.... ;)

Yep, about 35% of adults in Switzerland & France are thought to be allergic to celery (or more commonly celeriac - the root) and it is one of the most common pollen related food allergies in mainland Europe, although not so common in the Uk.

Lupin has become more widely known as an allergen in recent years because of the increase in the use of gluten free flours - lupin being one of them.

Both can induce anything from oral allergy syndrome to anaphylactic shock.

The European Food Standards Agency had ruled late in 2014 that all packaged foods should have any of the 14 top allergens highlighted in bold on the ingredients lists, but this is the first I've actually seen it so clearly marked on a menu.

Here's a great little infographic from the UK Food Standards Agency explaining where you should look out for each of them...

Well, I wanted to start getting up earlier & get on a better schedule, where I am exposed to more sunlight during my waking hours . Pup says NO PROBLEM! :D

Getting up with the sun: check.

Dog understanding what it means to "go for a walk": Umm, no.

Give it another try - especially when you make your own.  The longer they sit out on the counter, the stronger they get.  Start tasting after about a week - try them each day and see how tart you like them.  Also, I find that beans and carrots don't seem to get as strong as something like pickles.

Will do. I'll have to find that reply you made about how to ferment green beans so I can print it out! :)

Yep, about 35% of adults in Switzerland & France are thought to be allergic to celery (or more commonly celeriac - the root) and it is one of the most common pollen related food allergies in mainland Europe, although not so common in the Uk.

Lupin has become more widely known as an allergen in recent years because of the increase in the use of gluten free flours - lupin being one of them.

Both can induce anything from oral allergy syndrome to anaphylactic shock.

The European Food Standards Agency had ruled late in 2014 that all packaged foods should have any of the 14 top allergens highlighted in bold on the ingredients lists, but this is the first I've actually seen it so clearly marked on a menu.

Here's a great little infographic from the UK Food Standards Agency explaining where you should look out for each of them...

I would not want to be allergic to celery. So good in homemade chicken soup!

This is like having a newborn again...  So exhausting, but so rewarding.  I can feel such a difference in my brain -- not my energy levels, because I gotta keep moving, moving, moving...  But a mental exhaustion that I really haven't experienced in years.  I've heard people talk about being sleep deprived like being drunk, and I see that.  Impaired.  That's how I feel right now.

However, I did get 7:19 of sleep last night, according to my fitbit.  It was interrupted, of course, taking pup out to pee.  But my oldest son wanted to get up and do the morning "play and chew" with the sun this morning, so I was able to go back to bed.  Ahhh.  I needed it.  I need more.

Rocket wants to be on an earlier to bed, earlier to rise schedule -- and I have needed a reason to STAY on that schedule for a long time now.  I think I've found it!

We are off to the vet soon for his first appointment (with us).  He's had his first round of shots & worming, so I think today is just an exam to make sure all is well and discuss things for the future.  

I have been reading this book all about natural diets for dogs, but I haven't fed him any fresh food yet.  It's funny, though, how they talk about us coming to believe that dogs NEED packaged, processed food of some sort -- when it never even used to exist.  A lot of similarities to the human story... as we became fascinated with grocery stores and center aisles, apparently we did so for our animals, as well.  Big business in dog food -- just like there is in grains, sugar, pharmaceuticals, etc etc.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/158394947X?keywords=lew%20olson&qid=1446648176&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

It's funny, though, how they talk about us coming to believe that dogs NEED packaged, processed food of some sort -- when it never even used to exist. A lot of similarities to the human story...

I think our stories are similar for a reason:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/03/130302-dog-domestic-evolution-science-wolf-wolves-human/

Great article, kirkor... Brings up some questions. Do we really believe that ALL of these dog breeds came from wolves? Do we all believe that? So many things I still really wonder about.

I also saw some other links on that page I want to click on, such as: "When we see something cute, why do we want to squeeze it?" :D

-----

You guys, we just got back from the vet & she is 100% SUPPORTIVE of a raw diet like I want to feed him. She says this is how she feeds her own dogs! Talk about a sigh of relief. I was prepared for resistance or just having to not discuss it. IF ONLY we could find good human doctors so easily! Honestly, this whole situation could not have gone any more smoothly. Feeling blessed. :)

"The pet food industry continues to write and publish pet nutrition textbooks for veterinary colleges. Aspiring vets are taught to tell their clients that only processed dog foods are scientifically proven to meet their dogs' nutritional needs. One can only imagine the uproar if a similar system was in place for the human medical system in which doctors are taught to convince people that processed food is not only beneficial, but also necessary."

Page 12

Wow that's scary!! There's a really great documentary about the origins of dogs. Yes they all came from wolves !! Our impact on their evolution is incredible. The documentary is really interesting!! I think it's on BBC. I searched for something similar on YouTube and found it.

Do you mess around with shots and stuff? My mom's had her dogs for like a month and still won't let them outside because they need one more series of shots I guess. Worried about getting sick from cats or something.

They gave him a bunch of shots at 6 weeks before we got him -- and MY vet could not believe how many they did and at such a young age. :(

We will go back for two that she says are essential in a couple of weeks. She also said rabies vaccination is required by the state, but that she waits longer to give it to them (5-6 months instead of the usual 3) because "that one can be really rough on them". :(

Then there are things to worry about like fleas, ticks, heart worms.... All sorts of fun things!

We're back from a successful camping trip, where little guy learned how to actually take a walk.  Once he saw my parents' "big dogs" doing it, he got it all figured out.   :)  In fact, we did some trails -- and I had to RUN to keep up with him a few times!

Rocket, indeed...

This is my favorite picture from the weekend.  Had to share:

"Can I do it, mama?"

IMG_9907.jpeg

(No, he couldn't.  He's too little!  I picked him up and carried him down almost all of those stairs.)   :wub:

I like what I am reading so far. But this "revised edition" will need to be revised again soon.

"Unlike humans, dogs can consume large amounts of fat without the health consequences of cholesterol, hardening of the arteries, or plaque buildup."

Page 33

Cringe & face palm.

Look at this and see how it also applies to humans:

Page 32

"Fats are vital to your dog's health because they:

Are necessary for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins

Provide protection from the cold

Protect the nerve fibers in the body

Protect heart, liver, and kidney function

Keep the dog's skin and coat healthy

Help reduce inflammation

Provide more calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein

Improve the flavor and palatability of the dog's food

Help satiate the appetite

Are an excellent source of essential fatty acids"

Indeed.

I know, it's been all about dogs lately.  :)

I got my weekly fitbit report, and here's my new goal:  To get that sleep number back up!  Since I got this thing in July, my average total sleep was 7:19 - 8:41.

This week was 5:54.  

I haven't trained since we got him, because I know that is dumb.  No need to add more stress during an already stressful time.  My lifting is intense.  But I need to get back to it.

Archived