Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Recipe for the dip?

Sure!  But first, let me say that we were ~trying~ to re-create a chorizo dip like you can get at a Mexican restaurant... but when you remove some of the spices, it really doesn't taste like anything we've had at a restaurant before.  However, what we've come up with is VERY good!  It's not spicy at all.  Tonight I put it over a can of green beans, and I just loved it.

It's also not creamy at all, and I have no idea how they make it like that.  It all wants to stick together as it starts to cool.  But we deal with it, and we like it anyway.   :)

This serves our family of five to the point of ridiculously stuffed.  Lol.  So you may want to 1/2 it -- or freeze some for later.

2 lbs ground beef or pork, cooked & drained

2 lbs monterey jack and/or mozzarella cheese

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1.5 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp cumin

1 tsp black pepper

1 Tbsp garlic powder

2.5 tsp salt

Just melt it all together (medium-ish heat, stirring and stirring while the cheese melts) and enjoy!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my weekly fitbit report -- and my steps were the LOWEST I've ever had.  I'm not quite sure how that is possible -- since it seems like I never stop moving with this puppy!   :blink:   Clearly that is not the case.  My sleep deprivation really slowed me down last week.  

However ~ my average sleep improved by 45 minutes.  From 5:54 the week before to 6:39.  I am seeing a tiny spot of light at the end of the tunnel!

One of the things I really love about cutting out all of the junk -- is when healthy things start to taste so much better.

I bought a bag of coleslaw mix last night on sale (just 2 kinds of cabbage + carrots).  A small bowl of that, with homemade mayo, a couple dashes of coconut vinegar, salt & pepper = somehow feels like a treat.   :lol:

kirkor

I recall you mentioning K2 awhile back.  

Lily recently talked to me about her teeth hurting (although she has had a lot of dental work since then -- so I am not sure what was causing it).  I recommended that she take a D3 supplement, and my research showed that we should also be taking K2 along with that.

I have been taking a good 5000 IU D3 supplement for a few months now, but I have not purchased K2.  Do you have a certain brand that you like?

I have looked through the Amazon reviews (overwhelming, as they often are!) and I've decided to give this one a try -- primarily based on the H-U-G-E review a guy did, comparing ten different brands.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T8NROWM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RBLDZYUMB4ZG

Any thoughts before I pull the trigger?

Ya, the K2 stuff can be a bit overwhelming, what with the MK4 vs. MK7, sourced from natto or synthetic, etc.

I've tried a couple different brands, I think now I'm just using VitaCost's house brand.

Since for me a lot of the supplement stuff is just "betting on the future" (i.e. I don't have acute problems I'm looking to address) I haven't really noticed or developed a strong brand preference.  I do try to keep honing in on what's best for me, like the first time I bought curcumin I didn't get the kind with piperine, but this last time I did.

Ok, thank you, sir.  :)

-----

Tomorrow is Day 10 of my new attempt at keto -- and I had the LEAST ketones ever this morning.    :lol:   My blood sugar was also 103.

On one hand, I want to say I am eating too much dairy, too much before bed, too much food in general.  

On the other hand, I am (quite happily) wearing a pair of jeans tonight that I haven't comfortably fit in for quite awhile.....  And I feel good....  So I am just going to keep on keepin' on.  

There is NO WAY you could get me to eat a potato right now.  Just sayin'.  ;)

LOL right on, kirkor........

Sorry all I talk about lately is the dog, but he's so darn cute and funny -- it has completely taken over my life.   :lol:

In other news:

I stared down a piece of Godiva cheesecake last night at the book store.  Proud to say I walked away.  

We ended up getting an un-wich from Jimmy John's.  If you guys haven't been there, done that -- I highly recommend it.  The Gargantuan is.....  Gargantuan!  

SNOW!!!!!  OMG!

Went hiking today - weather was in the 50s.  Jacket off in the first mile, long sleeved shirt off by mile 2.  Have to admit that by mile 11, I was thinking about putting the long sleeved back on, but made it to the car.  

When you told me about the keto cyclists that didn't need to stop for fuel, I didn't get it.   I mean, theoretically I did, but I just couldn't conceive of doing that much work without FUEL (food).

Today, I got it.  I packed a brat, celery sticks and cream cheese "just in case" but decided that I would try not to eat it unless I "needed" it (i.e. hungry, or feeling shaky).  I never did.  When I got home to shower, all of a sudden my tummy screamed "FEED ME".  But it would have to wait - going out to dinner with my dad.  Not eating now, and again in less than two hours :)

I am liking keto :)

I stared down a piece of Godiva cheesecake last night at the book store.  Proud to say I walked away.  

I know what you mean.   The entire time I was eating my salad and burger tonight I was staring at the dessert menu....  chocolate peanut butter cake and goblet hot fudge brownie sundae.......  oh my.  Sadly said no....  and felt good about it  :D

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving!  :)

Happy to say that my teenager has decided to go back to low-carb until Christmastime.  He did Carb Nite with us for awhile, and had some great observations -- the greatest one being the increased mental clarity he experienced during the ULC part of the week.  I don't know what all of his reasons are this time, I just know that he feels better eating this way (as I obviously do) and this is a very grown-up decision.  He's 14.

So we just finished sharing a wonderful brunch of eggs, tuna, bacon, spinach, kale, chard, cooked up in a bunch of coconut oil and ghee, with a spoonful of homemade mayo on top -- with our 2 raw brazil nuts on the side.  I eat this (minus the bacon, sometimes with mayo and sometimes not) almost every day for breakfast and it just makes me feel great.   

Rocket is doing well and survived his first Thanksgiving.  I was a little concerned that people would want to feed him dumb stuff, but as far as I know, he just got to have some treats of ham and turkey.  He is really showing a preference for "real food" now, which I think is great.  I bought a giant bag of grain free puppy food from my niece when we got him... and we still put some of that in his bowl beside his "real food".  But he is usually just leaving it there lately.  Quite telling, eh?  The first time I gave him sardines, he acted like I was NUTS and he picked them out and left them on the towel by his bowl.  Lol.  NOW -- he devours sardines like they are the greatest thing ever.   :lol:   I love it.

I have been meaning to share this clip from South Park's "Gluten Free Ebola" episode for awhile now.  I just dug it up for someone, and it reminded me to post it here. 

We do not watch South Park on a regular basis -- but I heard about this one on several podcasts & websites.

Please watch this clip, even if you don't want to watch the entire thing.  (It's South Park.  It's rude.  Don't watch the entire episode if you will be offended!)   :lol:

But you GOTTA watch this one:

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/qcl2i8/flip-the-pyramid#source=473fef35-48a7-434c-afc6-207874c7f1a3:ae3414a6-9ee1-441b-b145-84c5f559af2b&position=14&sort=playlist

I am so happy that I was able to get my youngest a Kindle Fire 7 for his birthday (January) -- I got the BF deal of $34.99.  So great!

I have been thinking of getting one for myself, too.  So I went and looked at them again last night and I see that they are out of stock until 12/24.   :o   Must have been a popular sale!

Anyway -- I signed up for Kindle Unlimited last night (30 day free trial) just because I want to read this book:

Tripping Over the Truth: The Return of the Metabolic Theory of Cancer Illuminates a New and Hopeful Path to a Cure

So I went through my cart just now -- which has ~40 books saved in it that I want to read someday.  Guess how many are available on Kindle Unlimited?

TWO.  That's right.  Exactly two books.  And not even books I am especially excited about.

Oh well...  I am going to read this one ^ and I will see what my son is interested on there, to decide if it is worth $9.99/mo. or not.  If anyone has any great suggestions for KU, please let me know!

Archived