Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

Yep, I do.  And there's still more to learn.  Always.

Feingold is the first step for us in what is going to be a very long journey with this child.  

It removes things that we shouldn't be consuming in the first place.  Artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, artificial sweeteners.  Can anyone really argue that these things SHOULD be in our diets?

...Anyone?  ...Hello?   {MeadowLily, wish you could edit my post to put your Bueller pic here.}    :lol:

Note the similarity to Whole 30 here.  We are removing things for a time, then adding them back in to look for a reaction.

------

Now, as for your research.  You had to already know that I had done my own.  I've seen the Wikipedia page.  I've seen all of the "there is no scientific proof" and yada yada yada.

I've also personally spoken with moms who have seen transformations in their children.  Women who have been doing this for years and years.  Women who have discovered along the way that they, themselves are sensitive to many things they never would have known otherwise.

If someone won't even consider that the artificial dyes and flavorings in their kids gummy vitamins every morning could ~possibly~ be ruining their days, what am I even supposed to do with that?

I walked away.   ;)

Wikipedia - honestly, I had not even seen that one.  I tend to not pay much attention to sites that can't cite their resources.  I came across some other articles - just scanned them really.  My overall impression is that the evidence base of the practice is qualitative rather than quantitative.....  not that there is anything really wrong with that.  Guess I am a bit like the mom you reached out to - I like the hard facts, ma'am.  

However, Feingold is all about getting rid of all the artificial crap we shouldn't be eating - and I am not arguing that.  

I know that you have researched and made an educated choice for your family....  I worry about people who do something like this, see an improvement and skip the "add back in step".....  Kind of like people (looking at myself here) who do w30, feel great, then don't do a regimented "add back in" to see what the issues are.  We (I) fall off the wagon, feel horrible, then start to believe that it has to be w30 (Feingold stage I) or nothing.  Mph......

And sometimes, walking away is a good thing.....  you can only plant the seeds and educate - people have to make their own decisions.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brazil nuts....  when did I stop eating them.....  oh, yeah, when I ran out and discovered how the price of nuts is going up and up and up....

I was eating the brazil nuts for another reason entirely.  Yes, they do help counteract the high mercury that can be found in fish.  I was taking them because I had found a couple of articles showing that they could lower cholesterol (particularly the bad).  I figured I would eat them daily for 3 months (or at least several times a week), then have my dr repeat my lab work...  Somehow, I totally missed making an appointment with him in the spring....  and missed seeing if the articles were right (for me, at least).  Might have to do that over the winter.....

As usual, you always give me lots to think about

Karen, it all comes down to insulin.  Insulin is a storage hormone.  It literally holds the keys and unlocks our cells for storage.

After lifting weights, an insulin spike can be a good thing, to help restore muscle glycogen and shuttle nutrients to build muscle. 

Any other time -- just think to yourself:  Do I want to be in storage mode or burning mode right now?

If you want to be in burning mode, the answer is that you keep insulin levels low.  And you cannot do that with a lot of fruit.

I don't just pull this stuff out of nowhere:

Keto Clarity (Jimmy Moore)

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (both by Phinney & Volek)

Good Calories, Bad Calories (Gary Taubes)

Grain Brain (David Perlmutter)

...and I'm sure some others that I have read and am forgetting.

I will be back later with some specific quotes from Grain Brain that I think are really important to understand.  He explains why, even though fruit may not show a spike in your blood sugar (because it has to be processed by the liver first) -- that does not mean that it cannot cause damage, and that does not mean that it is not raising insulin.

After a year, I am thoroughly convinced that insulin primes the fat pump.   Sugar + Grains = Fat Gain. Those items do not put on lean muscle mass.    So going forward, cutting all processed sugars becomes the equation of muscle gain...the BIG WIN or fat loss depending on my consumption of proteins, good dietary fats, vegetables/fruits and strength training.   

Insulin does help build muscle, if muscle-building is your goal.  Because it is a storage hormone.  ...Which means it also stores fat.  This is why a lot of bodybuilders will go through a "bulk" and "cut" cycle.

Now would be a good time to add in the other two books I've read about insulin that I forgot to mention above:

Carb Nite

Carb Backloading

(both by John Kiefer)

^ Not encouraging anyone to look into those.  Just saying, I know a lot about insulin.   :lol:

I am always trying to figure out what I can take that doesn't have to be kept cold, easy to eat on the move, and fuels me.

I am not trying to tell you what to do -- you of course have to do your own research and make your own decisions about things.  I'm not here to push keto on anyone, although I will share what I learn along the way and I am passionate about the stories I hear, the books I read, and my own experiences.

But I just want to say:  How cool would it be if the answer to this ^ was:  Your own body.  What if you just had to take your own body along?  This is why we store fat -- for future use.  If our bodies cannot easily tap into that fat in a time of need, something is wrong.

I know, I know.  It's a lot to wrap your head around.  But think about it.  No one should be getting shaky who has plenty of fat (energy) saved for future use.  The future is NOW.  You should be able to use it.  That's why it is there.

After a year, I am thoroughly convinced that insulin primes the fat pump.   Sugar + Grains = Fat Gain. Those items do not put on lean muscle mass.    So going forward, cutting all processed sugars becomes the equation of muscle gain...the BIG WIN or fat loss depending on my consumption of proteins, good dietary fats, vegetables/fruits and strength training.   

It certainly did for me- I weighed 300 lbs. twice in my life. Even now, when my blood sugar tests read great, it doesn't matter. Tests are lies. When I dropped grains and fruit, I lost and kept off more weight. Now I'm at 211.9 (heavier than I want to be, because my body proportions of my midsection aren't good and affect my cholesterol, body image, clothes, and I have restricted movement, even with P.T.), so it's back on the W30. Afterwards, grains and fruit can only ever be a treat- really worth it, and very occasional. At my lowest (4 months post-W60), I weighed  202.8. I know they say don't pay attention to the scale, but for me, if I don't get on it once a week (post-W30), the weight comes back on because I get comfortable in bad habits- especially when they seem to relieve stress.  

Some favorite quotes on the subject of cholesterol:

"Eating high-cholesterol foods has no impact on our actual cholesterol levels, and the alleged correlation between higher cholesterol and higher cardiac risk is an absolute fallacy."

"In this post-mortem study, researchers in the Netherlands found that the Alzheimer's patients had significantly reduced amounts of fats, notably cholesterol and free fatty acids, in their cerebrospinal fluid than did the controls."

"In fact, more recent research in 2008 published in the journal Movement Disorders showed that people with the lowest LDL-cholesterol (the so-called bad cholesterol) were at an increased risk for Parkinson's disease by approximately 350 percent!"

"In the last ten years new research has shown that oxidized LDL is a key factor in the development of atherosclerosis."

"A principal player in that risk of oxidation is higher levels of glucose; LDL is far more likely to become oxidized in the presence of sugar molecules that will bind to it and change its shape."

"People with low total cholesterol had as many heart attacks and died just as frequently as those with high total cholesterol."

"The truth is we thrive on saturated fats."

-- Grain Brain, pages 72-80

So, I've been making my own mayo ever since Karen helped me figure out that I needed an immersion blender to do this.

I've always used a combination of MCT oil & olive or avocado oil.  

The last batch I made, however, I had to change it a little -- to make sure I am using Feingold-compliant oil.  (They have an extensive food list with approved brands.)  So I just used straight olive oil for that one.  The consistency was not quite the same --it set up fine, but then it wanted to get little puddles of oil in it.  It also melted and got runny ~as soon~ as you put it on a burger or something hot.

So today, I decided to use 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil and the rest olive oil.  I just ate some of it spread on a hard-boiled egg, and MAN -- that is good.  I wasn't expecting to be able to taste the coconut oil, but I can.  And it is delicious.  :)

Guess what popped into my head today...Kmlynne on April Fools Day.   Remember that post?  I do.  I was wondering how in the world she was going to recover and thinking of something I could say.  

Then lo and behold,  we were duped.   She duped us and we laughed our heads off.  If she tries that again, we won't believe it now, will we?   nah-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793775

Lance, here's the dealio.  If you were ever duped before your Whole 30...you won't be after a Whole 30. Something magical happens and it's really hard to have the wool pulled over your eyes.  mmmm hmmmm.   Out here on the high plains,  we say buffaloed.   "Ahhhh,  I see you tried to buffalo me." Nuh huh. Wouldn't be prudent,  don'tcha dare buffalo me now. 

Here's what I mean by buffaloed.   The bison (buffalo) can dupe you so fast you won't have time to think.  After a Whole 30,  you wouldn't dream of trying to out-buffalo a buffalo.  Seriously, most of us would never do this to begin with.     Brain Train. It's real. 

Supper was grilled burgers with homemade coleslaw made with Coconut Secret Vinegar.   Other tiddlywinks on the side.  That old fall haze is in the air  and it could be smoke.  Hope all y'all have a good evening.howdy-smiley.gif?1292867621  Catch you on the flip-flop....unless...Bueller........Bueller....someone comes back. 

I love my home made mayonnaise... I never used my immersion blender so much.  I bought it years ago.  I use one of the attachments to grind almonds to use as a binder in my salmon fish cakes. 

Brewer 5 thanks for your informative posts.

My husband is a TYPE 2 diabetic - we ran this program by him before starting...he gave his BLESSING and my husband is now off 2 meds and needs a new belt.  I feel great, my clothes are getting bigger.

Just wanted to share and wish you two all the best and may we go from strength to strength.

I would love to visit Yellowstone someday, but I have NO desire to get buffaloed.   :blink:

I am having yet another bowl of tilapia scrambled eggs.   :lol:   It's really good and all, but...  I'm over it.  I'm not sure why I cooked an entire package of tilapia.

Def true. If creates MORE stress for me, that is for certain! And, yeah, I'll stick around ;)

My response was supposed to address your posts on the mayo....guess it didn't turn out that way :o

So, I've been making my own mayo ever since Karen helped me figure out that I needed an immersion blender to do this.

I've always used a combination of MCT oil & olive or avocado oil.  

The last batch I made, however, I had to change it a little -- to make sure I am using Feingold-compliant oil.  (They have an extensive food list with approved brands.)  So I just used straight olive oil for that one.  The consistency was not quite the same --it set up fine, but then it wanted to get little puddles of oil in it.  It also melted and got runny ~as soon~ as you put it on a burger or something hot.

So today, I decided to use 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil and the rest olive oil.  I just ate some of it spread on a hard-boiled egg, and MAN -- that is good.  I wasn't expecting to be able to taste the coconut oil, but I can.  And it is delicious.   :)

I think it was missmary I first read about using coconut oil in her mayo - IIRC it was a 50/50 split with avocado oil.... I tend to use walnut oil for my mayo as I like the nutty flavour and it's priced reasonably but I think I'll give this a go. Did you use regular olive oil? Or light tasting...?

Supper was grilled burgers with homemade coleslaw made with Coconut Secret Vinegar.   Other tiddlywinks on the side.  That old fall haze is in the air  and it could be smoke.  Hope all y'all have a good evening.howdy-smiley.gif?1292867621  Catch you on the flip-flop....unless...Bueller........Bueller....someone comes back. 

Another item I keep meaning to add to my shopping list.... I haven't spotted on sale anywhere here so I guess I'll have to order it from Amazon - along with my copy of Grain Brain...  ;)

(Spicy Asian Dipping Sauce, Marinade, or Dressing)

Yields:  1/3C
2 Tbsp Coconut Vinegar
1Tbsp Lime Juice
½ tsp  Coconut Aminos
1 Tbsp Water
2 ½ tsp Coconut Nectar 
1 tsp Fish Sauce
½ tsp finely grated Lime Zest (outer peel)
1 minced Garlic Clove
½ to 1 minced Chili Pepper (Serrano, Jalapeno, Bird's Beak - depending on desired heat)

Grate lime peel and finely mince garlic and chili.  Whisk together with rest of ingredients.  This delicious and healthful dressing/dipping sauce/marinade can be kept air tight and refrigerated for several weeks. It is fabulous for dipping  or can be drizzled over  salads topped with grilled shrimp, chicken, pork or beef.  Excellent as a marinade for all seafood and meats prior to grilling

{Substitute apple cider/juice for coconut nectar if you like)

Archived