If I eat a mini-breakfast, can I wait until I'm hungry to eat the real one?

Vilandra

Hi all :)

I've read on the forum about the importance of eating within one hour of getting up. I am one of those people who (clearly from my messed up body lol) aren't hungry when I first get up and to be honest feel a little sick at the thought of eating.

The suggestion was to eat something before I leave the house in the morning.

My question is, if I do this (today I ate a hard boiled egg) - can I then wait until I am hungry to eat a real breakfast? Or do I need to do it asap?

Unless you're about to go work out then a hard boiled egg really isn't enough.

The lack of hunger in the mornings confirms that your hormones are out of whack, and by eating within an hour of wakening they will eventually regulate.

Our suggestion in this case would be to plate a template meal, eat as much of it as you can (ensuring you eat from each of the food groups), then wwrap up the rest to east as soon as  you feel able. Eventually your appetite will increase.

I'm in the same boat Vilandra... I made myself a small breakfast yesterday because I know it's the most important meal of the day, but I get up at 5 and leave my house at 6:30. I'm so not hungry in that first hour and a half. I felt like I was force feeding myself yesterday. I ate half of it. This morning I'm having a hardboiled egg and a few carrot sticks. I'm on day 3, I figure it's a start.

• Moderators

The reason we ask you to eat breakfast within an hour of waking is that eating is the most powerful thing you can do to correct the hormonal imbalance that makes you uninterested in food when you wake in the morning. If you eat a little, it will help a little. If you eat a full meal, it will help more.

We don't want you getting sick over forcing food down first thing in the morning, but now that you know that the "medicine" we are asking you to take is dose dependent, do your best. :)

The other side of this issue is that the same hormonal rhythm that leaves you NOT-hungry in the morning may be making you hungry at night. It is good to flip that to the other side so that you eat in the morning and begin to lose interest in food at night when it is time to sleep. 

Thanks guys, that helps :)

I get up at 5:30, leave for work at 6 - if I eat just an egg before I go and then eat a full breakfast at 6:45 when I get to work, will that still screw me up? I could probably do nuts or seeds in the car if that would be better. Aside from the not being hungry issue, I don't really want to sacrifice sleep so I can eat at home lol (I know, I know, selfish). Maybe if my sleeping improves, I'll be able to, but for now I don't want to crash on the way to work lol

I get up at 5:30, leave for work at 6 - if I eat just an egg before I go and then eat a full breakfast at 6:45 when I get to work, will that still screw me up? I could probably do nuts or seeds in the car if that would be better. Aside from the not being hungry issue, I don't really want to sacrifice sleep so I can eat at home lol (I know, I know, selfish). Maybe if my sleeping improves, I'll be able to, but for now I don't want to crash on the way to work lol

There are plenty of make ahead foods that you can prep that are easy to eat in the car. Egg muffins are a favorite around here and really easy to transport. Basically anything you can safely nosh on while driving. Probably that extra 15 minutes isn't a huge deal in the long run, but you could experiment with it.

I had trouble with breakfast too. i never ate it before, even on the weekends if I did it would be at 11 or noon. It made me feel ill to eat when I first woke up. Particularly eggs, I found.

But I made myself. And I skipped the eggs and ate other foods that didn't make me as nauseous. And good grief the difference it made. This was one of the most profound differences in my Whole30. It changed my whole day. My mood, my clarity. It was subtle but also obvious. It's still one of the things that doesn't feel natural to me, but I make myself do it, and I make darn sure I have veggies available for it.

If you don't have enough time to eat before you leave the house, perhaps you need to be up earlier. That doesn't mean sacrificing sleep, it means going to be earlier to ensure you're getting the 8 plus hours you need. Sleeping better on whole30 isn't just about making your body rest better over the night, it's about intentionally giving yourself the time to wind down, and sleep for a full 8 hours before you need to be up. I have to set an alarm for going to bed to make sure I'm up with enough time to eat breakfast and still get at least 8 hours. It's hard to argue with an alarm, there's no judgement call there... you made the judgement when you set the alarm. (mine goes off the same time every work-night)

Actually, eating breakfast within an hour of wakening will in turn help with your sleep.

• Administrators

I had trouble with breakfast too. i never ate it before, even on the weekends if I did it would be at 11 or noon. It made me feel ill to eat when I first woke up. Particularly eggs, I found.

But I made myself. And I skipped the eggs and ate other foods that didn't make me as nauseous. And good grief the difference it made. This was one of the most profound differences in my Whole30. It changed my whole day. My mood, my clarity. It was subtle but also obvious. It's still one of the things that doesn't feel natural to me, but I make myself do it, and I make darn sure I have veggies available for it.

If you don't have enough time to eat before you leave the house, perhaps you need to be up earlier. That doesn't mean sacrificing sleep, it means going to be earlier to ensure you're getting the 8 plus hours you need. Sleeping better on whole30 isn't just about making your body rest better over the night, it's about intentionally giving yourself the time to wind down, and sleep for a full 8 hours before you need to be up. I have to set an alarm for going to bed to make sure I'm up with enough time to eat breakfast and still get at least 8 hours. It's hard to argue with an alarm, there's no judgement call there... you made the judgement when you set the alarm. (mine goes off the same time every work-night)

I love everything about this post and wish I could "like" it a dozen times!

You could start in 15 min increments from the time that you normally would go to bed.

So let's say your regular bedtime was 10 pm.  

So the first few nights go to bed at 9:45.

Then 9:30

Then 9:15

Okay you get the idea.... :)

The key is sleep is important.  Hormones are important.  Hormones affect sleep.  Food affects hormones.  

Archived