First Whole30 and STRUGGLING

Bethanyballantyne

hi everyone!!

I'm new here... But I just wanted to post about some struggles my husband and I have had so far. We are on day 11 (started sept 1st) and I still have almost constant sugar cravings and migraines almost every day around dinner time. I know this is because I was seriously addicted to all things sugary and sweet.. And it was bad. I have tried having fruit to curb the cravings and even making whole30 compliant smoothies (which are not recommended, but have actually really helped me since this is my first time). I'm still really craving things like breads, cookies, and desserts. Can anyone help me get out of this rut?? Help :/

hi everyone!!

I'm new here... But I just wanted to post about some struggles my husband and I have had so far. We are on day 11 (started sept 1st) and I still have almost constant sugar cravings and migraines almost every day around dinner time. I know this is because I was seriously addicted to all things sugary and sweet.. And it was bad. I have tried having fruit to curb the cravings and even making whole30 compliant smoothies (which are not recommended, but have actually really helped me since this is my first time). I'm still really craving things like breads, cookies, and desserts. Can anyone help me get out of this rut?? Help :/

Therein lies your problem.

You have replaced refined sugars with naturally occurring ones & are continuing to feed your Sugar Dragon.

Sugar cravings can only be stamped out with fat & protein - nothing else will work - and when a serious craving strikes that won't pass reach for a handful of olives, or a spoonful of oil... Anything but sugar, regardless of the source.

For now ensure you are drinking at least half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, & including a fist sized serving of starchy veg daily to help with the headaches and transition from the old diet to the new.

Ditch the fruit & the smoothies & you'll soon start to see results.

I had wicked sugar cravings too at first. JMCBN is so right that you have to get that good fat in to tame the dragon. I always have olives on hand but a spoonful of coconut oil also worked in a pinch. My cravings went away much faster than I thought they would. Once you get the right combination of fat, protein, carbs you will start to feel better. Be strong, and follow the plan to the letter. You can do this!

I can't say enough how important having a big M1 is in helping control sugar cravings for me.  If I skimp on protein and fat at that meal in particular, I struggle the rest of the day.  Getting enough sleep and drinking plenty of water also help.  

hi everyone!!

Hi Bethany

Trust everyone - protein + fat curbs sugar cravings

My husband and I just completed our first WHOLE 30 but it is not over for us. We sound just like you- if there was a Sugar Anonymous group - I would have been a charter member

We find the protein/fat combo is magic. You will too. We eat very little fruit and only with meals - it is just enough.

Good luck --- it works!!!!

My name is Karen and I am a sugarholic! But not any more! I'm on Day 23 and my cure for sugar craving is a hardboiled egg. I keep a half dozen in the fridge for when that emergency strikes. I've found if I eat a big enough breakfast of protein and fat, my sugar dragon is held at bay, just like the program suggests. It's like a miracle. I didn't believe it until it happened to me two days in a row. Also, I now focus on all the wonderful foods we CAN eat as much as we want, not what we CANT have on W30. Hang in there.

Hi Bethany,

I don't have much to add that's new, but here's what I can tell you: I've been battling the sugar dragon since grade school. This is the first and only thing that has helped me beat that beast!! And I've tried everything. I'm 58 now, and it's taken me that long to find something that works. Trust these people when they tell you to minimize the fruit and up the protein and fat. It works. And I am grateful! I'm on day 13 now, and feeling better than I have in a long time, eating three meals a day, with no snacks and no cravings. Good luck on your journey!

Hi Bethany, 

Good for you for being on day 11! I agree with everyone's advice here. It's been my experience too, that upping the fat and protein, and lowering the fruit intake is what helps with the cravings. Hard boiled eggs help a lot. Jmcbn recommended a serving of potatoes or sweet potatoes at one of your meals. That also works well. I started to really look forward to sweet potatoes fried in coconut oil. Yum!

The support in these forums is also great for keeping on track. Keep posting everyday, if you can. 

Deb

My name is Karen and I am a sugarholic! But not any more! I'm on Day 23 and my cure for sugar craving is a hardboiled egg. I keep a half dozen in the fridge for when that emergency strikes. I've found if I eat a big enough breakfast of protein and fat, my sugar dragon is held at bay, just like the program suggests. It's like a miracle. I didn't believe it until it happened to me two days in a row. Also, I now focus on all the wonderful foods we CAN eat as much as we want, not what we CANT have on W30. Hang in there.

Hi Bethany,

I don't have much to add that's new, but here's what I can tell you: I've been battling the sugar dragon since grade school. This is the first and only thing that has helped me beat that beast!! And I've tried everything. I'm 58 now, and it's taken me that long to find something that works. Trust these people when they tell you to minimize the fruit and up the protein and fat. It works. And I am grateful! I'm on day 13 now, and feeling better than I have in a long time, eating three meals a day, with no snacks and no cravings. Good luck on your journey!

Hallelujah!!!!!  It truly is a miracle....I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge....who'd a thunk that fat and protein is what our bodies really needed.  I truly love this program. :D

HAVE THE BESTEST DAY!!!!

Hi Bethany! I agree with everyone else. Ditch the fruit. On the times when I have fruit it's always in front of a meal, so that I don't end up thinking "Oh yummy, let's have more" and it's never at M3. I was surprised to learn that fruit at breakfast will actually come back to bite me, via cravings, up to 10 hours later. So ditch the fruit. Don't tease the dragon.... you'll make him cranky & vengeful.

The other thing that worked for me was keeping myself full. I have been eating BIG meals... lots of protein, lots of good fats, and HEAPS of vegs. If you are always full, you won't be looking around for what's next on the menu. This program will work just fine without you being hungry. Don't tease yourself with hunger that doesn't need to be there.

I love these forums! I think I learn something every time I am on here. Not to mention finding people whose struggles parallel my own. Good luck to you!

Archived