Eggs and cholesterol

May-Ling

Hi,

How often is it ok for someone with high cholesterol (diabetes running in family too) to eat egg yolks per week? Is there a limit and should I be combining that with eggs whites on some days. This is the recommendation I am finding online: no more than 1 egg yolk per day ,the rest egg whites. I know there's a concern with the saturated fat being consumed too. Is it ok for me to cook with coconut oil then?

Thanks so much,

ML

Hmm, have you read the book?

You do not need to be concerned about eating eggs, coconut oil, saturated fat.

The culprit in diabetes and cholesterol issues is generally refined carbohydrates.

Cholesterol is naturally produced by our bodies, and very little of our total cholesterol actually comes from our food.

Yes am familiar with this info. My concern was for someone who already has high cholesterol and wanted to be safe, thankk you!

Ok, good.  :)

Most of what we have been told about cholesterol is wrong.  Changes are coming in the medical community, but they are s-l-o-w.  In the meantime, the best thing we can do is educate ourselves on this very important subject.

I highly recommend Dr. Perlmutter's book, Grain Brain.  Also, Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore.  If you search on Amazon for these, many similar books come up, as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've read the book.  I've done a 30 days. I love the results. I went in for a check up and my cholesterol is 190. :( My Dr. says no eggs or red meat. She wants to see if diet and exercise will change it before she puts me on medication. I want to keep going on this Whole30 route and see if it helps or changes anything.  But I'm scared.  Thoughts?

A lot of cholesterol advice is woefuly out of date. The body produces it's own cholesterol, if you eat too little, it can over-produce.

Cholesterol is essential for many metabolic functions.

Do you know your HDL vs LDL?

You're actually in the desirable range, in this US chart: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/resources/heart/heart-cholesterol-hbc-what-html

There's a couple of good podcast episodes on cholesterol too.

• 2 weeks later...

I started eating lots of whole eggs on my first Whole30 and my good cholesterol went way up, and my bad cholesterol went way down. I also enjoy salt and ghee & mayo. My mom kept warning me about the way I ate....

My mom had a heart attack many moons ago and lived by that old style advice... no fat, no salt, no eggs.... and she was on cholesterol medication until the day she died. She also had terrible palsy and, in my very non-medical-with-no-facts-to-back-it-up opinion, this was at least partly caused by poor vitamin absorption rates due to having no fat in her diet. She was also eventually diagnosed with low salt levels in her blood, which can also be very serious.

So yeah... eat the eggs, plus the big plate of veggies, and throw in that dollop of good fat. It's all good.

• 1 year later...

Hi! I am on Day 9 of my first Whole30. Feeling a bit hungry in between lunch and dinner, but I know it's because my lunch wasn't filling enough. But my question is about eggs. My boyfriend and I LOVE eggs. But when I went for my physical about a year ago, my doctor told me that my cholesterol was "at the higher end of normal." For Whole 30 recipes, I try to combine egg white with whole eggs for things like the frittata. But I LOVE whole eggs! I just don't want a cholesterol issue. Ideas?

• Administrators

Hi @Kby110 - this topic has been discussed at length on the forum. I've merged your topic with another that is the same question. You can also google "Whole30 cholesterol eggs" and you'll get at least a half dozen results from just this forum.

Archived