Day 8 (sort of) - is this normal?

Monya1528

So here I am on Day 8 which should really be day 12 (more on that in a minute) and I find that other than shortly after waking up, I'm just not very hungry. I had a few crazy cravings during the first few days and a couple bizzaro dreams but other than that I feel pretty good. Most days I'll eat 2 full meals and that's it. I've been really good about the whole not snacking thing even if it's a healthy option like slice up an apple or some watermelon or some nuts - it's happened a couple times but trying not to do it. My question is...is it normal to have your appetite just drop off like that?

Now to the whole day 8 v.s day 12 thing.....I have a booth at our local farmers market on saturdays and the lady next to me was selling pickled jalapenos. I bought some knowing my boyfriend loves spicy things. A few days later (tuesday), we were both home for dinner and I was struggling to think of something I could make for both of us (he's not doing it...yet. If all goes well with me and I see an improvement then he'll do it lol). I had an idea to use some of the juice from the pickled jalapenos to cook some chicken, the jalapenos, okra and peppers in....came out great. Flavorful and a little spicy. Two days later I had the leftovers before going to work at night. Fri night I was talking to my boyfriend about how sugar is added to pretty much everything which makes this kind of frustrating and he comes out with: "what about the jalapenos?" Yep never even thought about it but I asked the lady the next day and sure enough they were pickled with vinegar and sugar....so that knocked me back to day 2  :( I am determined to see it through but kinda wish I was on day 12 lol 

And accidental dose of sugar isn't total grounds for a re-start.  However if you feel it is important - you can.   Sugar really isn't as gut disruptive like dairy, legumes, soy, and all grains are.  If it was any of those others - yes restart is highly recommended.  For sugar - it's kind of up to you.

As for your first question - yes this is normal.  I am personally am not on a whole 30 right now but am totally going through a stage of food boredom and literally nothing is appealing to me.  NOTHING.  I even put off eating today simply because what I had for lunch had zero appeal to me.  As did my dinner last night.  Every so often I go through a different version of this.  Sometimes it's boredom, other times it's lack of appetite, other times I just want to eat the same meal, over, and over as I am sick of meal prep.

However you mention a thing that disturbs me a little.  You make mention that you have only be eating 2 meals a day.  It is very important in order to help reset your hormones that you eat 3 meals a day.  The first one within an hour of waking.  If you are snacking - this means you are hungry so have a whole meal that fills you for 4 to 5 hours.  So please work on 3 template meals - try to avoid grazing.

Ah so maybe I can be on day 12 after all...woohoo!! But seriously...the snacking isn't an every day thing. We watch walking dead on sundays (right now it's the new one Fear the Walking Dead lol) and we would typically have 'walking dead food'...so that first sunday it was still kinda habit I guess but I opted for an apple and some nuts instead. I don't snack throughout the day or even allow myself to have snacks readily available - even when I'm at work. Breakfast is sometimes 'snackish' particularly on those mornings when I have to be up and out by like 6am - by snackish I mean fruit and nuts which holds me over until I can eat my lunch. I don't get hunger grumblings between meals....sometimes I am tempted by crap food when I go to my parents house to see my kitty but I haven't caved yet  :) thanks for the feedback. I'll try to eat 3 actual meals but I also can't force feed myself as I don't want to feel stuffed. Thanks again 

If you are not regularly eating a full meal within an hour of waking that could be a huge source of your non-appetite. We recommend getting that meal in to help balance your hormones. Fruit and nuts is not a meal. If you are struggling what I would suggest is playing a template meal for all 3 meals and eating around the plate (hit all the groups not just the meat for instance) until you just can't eat anymore. Than package it up and finish it as soon as you feel able. Some people need to eat more frequent smaller meals until their bodies adjust.

Archived