Starting as soon as I can figure out what I'm doing!

SummerJ0y

I'm a homeschooling mom of four kids 10 and under. My husband is a bi-vocational pastor and worship leader at our church, and I sing or play beside him each week. I'm also a family and wedding photographer.

A friend told me about The Whole30 a few days ago.

For a couple of years I've suffered from digestive problems.. it's been worse in the last year though. Before we spend a fortune on a colonoscopy (and probably medicine) we decided that a diet change would be beneficial. They believe I have colitis... steroids were my best friend during a flare back in March/April.

I'm terrified to start this diet.. but I've already given up soda and coffee, so. (Coffee was my favorite. MY FAVORITE.) The systemic inflammation has become too much to bear... I'm desperate It's time.

SummerJ0y--Welcome!  I'm new myself, on day 18.  I'm also a homeschooling mom with 5 graduates and 3 still at home.  I have 7 super sons and 1 delightful daughter.  It's so nice to meet another home schooling mom!  :)  I'm so sorry you're having such issues.  My mom has Crohn's disease--NOT fun!  And she is on meds for life!  That would be worse to me that giving up a few things.  I have coffee everyday now with almond milk and coconut oil.  I blend it in my vitamix and it's ABSOLUTELY delicious!  I'll say some prayers for grace and strength!  That's the ONLY way I'm doing this--by His loving grace!  

coffee-screen-smiley.gif?1292867572  The sooner you can give up coffee...the healing process will begin.  You may have to gut it out for awhile.  I like being all jacked up on coffee and bouncing off the walls but it sure is a let down.   When I descend and come in for a landing I'm really deflated.  computer-tired-smiley.gif?1292867575

Hi! I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner. Saturday I ended up getting some kind of tonsillitis and I've been in bed with fever, body aches, and a sore throat the last few days! Then I got a migraine. Awesome start. 

@Brewer5 - Right now this is just me.. though my husband plans on cleaning up his diet some with me.. he's not going in head first. :)

@JulieP757 - I gave it up earlier thinking it was the source of my tummy problems. I'm just not going to add it back in yet... perhaps someday... I do love it. But I'm so ready to feel better.. I'm good keeping it out. I always drank it black anyway. :)

@northwoodsmom8 - Thank you! Congratulations! Thank you so much for the prayers!!! I appreciate them so much! I've heard of bullet proof coffee before.. but never tried it. I wasn't sure why people did it.. :)  I do have a Vitamix though!!!! Sounds like that'd be a great use for it if I decide to drink it again later down the road!!

@MeadowLily - I hear you. My first 3 days without coffee were the worst.. but thankfully, even though I am prone to migraines, I did not get a single headache from quitting!!!!  I didn't really notice a difference in my gut... but I did get a migraine several weeks after I quit coffee and I had a cup to try to help and my gut got WORSE. So. Thankfully.. other than a little heart-throbbing here and there.. I'm doing okay without the Joe!!!

I did enjoy my first official meal tonight though. (I started with dinner Saturday night with a salad. But then all I could really stand to eat was some fruit and broth till tonight.) I have a close friend who has been on a Paleo diet for years now.. she's going to be my buddy while I navigate this whole new lifestyle!

Thanks for all the encouragement... 1am this morning I really was wondering if it was worth it!

Archived