Trader Joes "Must Haves"!

Nicolettasmom

They have compliant marinara sauce, if you are like me and don't always have time to make homemade.  They also have good prices on coconut oil and coconut oil spray.  They have unsweetened dried fruit, and they have good prices on cans of olives if you like those.  Some TJ's have cauliflower rice, which would be a great time saver, but I have never been when they had any in stock.  

They have compliant marinara sauce, if you are like me and don't always have time to make homemade.  They also have good prices on coconut oil and coconut oil spray. 

I don't believe the TJ's coconut oil spray is compliant - last time I checked, it contains soy lecithin (most cooking sprays do).

Chicken Chili Lime Burgers

Most of their chicken & turkey sausages (noms)

Ghee

Coconut Oil

Nuts

Plantains

Avocado Oil

Prosciutto

Eggs

PreCooked Chicken strips (check ingredients on a couple)

As far as produce goes try to shop elsewhere at least around me it isn't the greatest.

I do however buy kale, spinach, arugula, brussel sprouts, fresh herbs & broccoli slaw; most stuff that comes in bags. But to get it to last 5 days you must take it out of the bag when you get home and store it in tupperware, that works for me all the time.

I found myself liking the convenience of their veggies: diced butternut squash, shaved brussel sprouts, and a 7 diced veggie mix.  It makes it so easy to grab it out of the fridge and toss it into the pan to sautee with ghee or put into salads.

They have a great selection of nuts, but I'm personally trying to steer clear of eating nuts and those are foods with no breaks for me.

Larabars (read ingredients!)

Note that Lara Bars are emergency food only, on a Whole30.  Emergency would mean something like being stuck in endless traffic for hours, delaying your normal time in between meals.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommended snack is a mini-meal of protein, carb and fat.  

Note that Lara Bars are emergency food only, on a Whole30.  Emergency would mean something like being stuck in endless traffic for hours, delaying your normal time in between meals.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommended snack is a mini-meal of protein, carb and fat.  

*Nods* My mini-meal saved the day today (I have a really long day at work in my business). It was an Epic bar (GF lamb, mint, and currants- completely compliant, but I don't think Trader Joe's carries them), Organic sugar free sunflower butter, and carrot sticks. 

A great mini meal you could get from Trader Joe's is their salmon or tuna in olive oil (in cans- totally compliant, unlike most other canned tuna), some cut up veggies, and their almond butter (I just happen to prefer sunflower butter and once my expensive jar is gone, I'm going to make my own in my food processor). 

I don't believe the TJ's coconut oil spray is compliant - last time I checked, it contains soy lecithin (most cooking sprays do).

Well crap.  I didnt realize that.  I have only used it twice, and so I am not starting over.  I am already planning to extend my Whole30 anyway so I will just not use it from here on out!  Thanks for the heads up!  

Archived