Food and mood

cayenne

So I have been on and off W30 now for over a year. I get 2-3 weeks in and have an issue, or life happens etc. I have completed W90 a couple summers ago and really aprroeciate everything about the plan. It is too restrictive to live on long term though. I have had difficulty adding back food groups without really just adding back everything.

I find that when I am compliant, the world is a calmer place. I, at this point, am just concerned more about my mood/stress levels than anything. I have had a very stressful 2 years-probably no more than anyone else in this crazy life, but it is really starting to pile up these last couple months. And, surprisingly, things are much better with the "situations" but my mood is horrific. I am on the plan for several days, then fall off with the sweets and wine, grains etc. Up and down, rollercoaster.

I have found when I eat sugar and grains/alcohol(not so much dairy), my mood just goes haywire. I am so irritable and I cant even stand my own self. I am not even talking about physical reactions to these foods but the emotional craziness. Does this make sense or do I need to just go for counseling(which I am going to call next week). Also seems like the bad mood thing last a couple days into the return to w30, then seems to resolve to the point that-Hey, maybe I can get away with........

Just wanted to ask if there is any other folks struggling with the food/mood issues and what they do about it.

Thanks for reading!

• Moderators

Sugar and alcohol are verifiably toxic substances that certainly dramatically affect mood. You are in no way alone in that. In fact, I would say everyone who ingests either one experiences a mood altering effect.

If I realize that a particular food or drink is having an ill effect on my health -- whether that be physical, mental, emotional -- I also realize that I need to avoid that food.

That may sound overly simplistic, but it really is just the truth.

I did not like how cigarettes were affecting my life.  I quit.  

Food is no different.  We will continue to consume things until we decide that the perceived benefit is no longer worth the cost.

I do not have cigarettes "sometimes".  They are not a "treat".  I do not have them at parties, or when I've had a particularly bad day, or as a reward of some kind. That sort of behavior is what keeps someone trapped in an addiction.

It's easy for us to see this about cigarettes.  But for some reason, it's harder for us to see this when it comes to food and drink.  

Food is no different.  We will continue to consume things until we decide that the perceived benefit is no longer worth the cost.

I do not have cigarettes "sometimes".  They are not a "treat".  I do not have them at parties, or when I've had a particularly bad day, or as a reward of some kind. That sort of behavior is what keeps someone trapped in an addiction.

Yes! This. So much this.

Brewer5, on 13 Sept 2015 - 1:47 PM, said:snapback.png

Food is no different.  We will continue to consume things until we decide that the perceived benefit is no longer worth the cost.

This is BRILLIANT!

Sooooo, my question is how to label it as a food issues or a stress issue that leads to the food, which in turn ampliphies all? Chicken or the egg? This is not my first rodeo re food, stress, and feeling like crap. I know I can do the food nazi thing and eliminate the alcohol(done) and the sugar(started yesterday). The stress however remains and I realize it take several days to get the crap out of you system. Called for a counseling appointment this morning.

Thanks for the responses!

I already feel a bit better with no grains, alc, sugar and it has been only 2 days. No, I am not using this as a "log", but just as an update. I have to look at those foods in a whole new way-not just what they do to my waistline, but what they do to my quality of life. I like them, have a momentary minute of bliss, but certainly not worth the hours and days of anxt that comes with!

Archived