BACON!!

EliMak79

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a butcher around who would slice you some pork belly (the cut bacon is made from) without curing it (that's how I get mine)? I just use a little clarified butter in the pan and season it with generous salt and some pepper. Better than traditional bacon - I'll never go back!

Thank you for this.. I have searched & searched!

I will definitely visit the butcher this weekend. GENIUS :wub:

I haven't had much bacon...I don't want to spend $75 to order meat online just to have some bacon. I had some when I was on vacation right after my W30 (it was from pastured pigs), and haven't had anymore because the BF is still on his W30. I think it would be kind of mean to have bacon and him not be able to have any! I never really ate it before, and I forsee more of it in my future! :wub:

Haha, the funny thing is Slw ... I hardly ate it before LOL

I can do without junk food, soda and crap for hopefully the rest of my life, I can live without bacon and chocolate for 30 days :) Oh and cheese and creamer for my coffee .. hehe

See...tell you that you can't have it and what do you want..it. :) We can do this for 30 days. I know we can.

I've ordered the sugar-free, no added nitrates bacon from US Wellness.

They sell it sliced (traditional rashers) and also as 'ends,' which seems to be the odd bits at the end of a slab that don't go through the slicer. The 'ends' are somewhat cheaper than the rashers. I coarsely chop those ends and fry them in the skillet. This approach doesn't have the presentation value of a plate of rashers, but the taste is excellent and the chopped bacon goes well in salads or wherever, as well as with eggs. And I do very much like getting meat from happy pigs -- and, finally, I'm not sure going bacon-free is an option I want to contemplate right now, in a household of people who still eat cereal, bread, ice cream, cookies, brownies, the whole 9.... er, that is, the ANTI-Whole9.

So I bought a pork belly on the weekend.. it's a very common cut here (Oz).

So obviously it's not really like bacon but it really is delicious!! Although I need to buy some sharper knives! It was hard to slice through the rind, especially thin slices.

I fried it up & then cooked my eggs in the fat. Perfect Sunday morning breakfast!

I've also used little cubes of it in various dishes, it has a great flavour. Thanks again for the suggestion :D

Okay, I am determined to get this locally. We're a foodie town..I know WF or New Seasons or one of the old fashioned butchers downtown must carry it. :rolleyes: So, for the real stuff, it's just pork right? Not cured at all, so it doesn't even have salt? I had it in SF twice now and thiought I had died and gone to heaven both times. First time braised, then cripsed in a sandwhich (back in bread days) and the second time, same place, but I asked for butter lettuce leaves to wrap it up. It came with carmelized onions and avocado.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have FINALLY figured it out. For 30 days, I can do without bacon, nuts, dried fruit etc. Come on people. You know you can do it. No more asking "can I have it" because we just know we can't or shouldn't for 30 days..

But we are allowed nuts and seeds right from the begining???

But we are allowed nuts and seeds right from the begining???

Loraine, that is just a personal choice that I made. My first whole 30, I had mac nuts in my freezer and I found myself grabbing them when I wasn't even hungry because of their fabulous flavor. Had I used them appropriately, I would have them in my freezer now, but I didn't. As for dried fruit, to me, they are simply sugar and snacky. Many people do great with dried fruit and nuts. They just aren't for me, but that is a personal choice. For me, I was manipulating the program to appease my inner brat and I didn't like that behavior. I didn't make that very clear in my post.

Loraine, that is just a personal choice that I made. My first whole 30, I had mac nuts in my freezer and I found myself grabbing them when I wasn't even hungry because of their fabulous flavor. Had I used them appropriately, I would have them in my freezer now, but I didn't. As for dried fruit, to me, they are simply sugar and snacky. Many people do great with dried fruit and nuts. They just aren't for me, but that is a personal choice. For me, I was manipulating the program to appease my inner brat and I didn't like that behavior. I didn't make that very clear in my post.

I knew what you meant. ;)

I am too stubborn to give up all dried fruit and nuts, but I do have occasional nut and dried fruit free days to stop the snack habit. Like today. I'm roasting Brussels sprouts for a snack later today. Yum. Only think to do this when I go cold turkey on the nuts and fruit...

As for that pork belly. After reading all Robin's posts my mouth is watering and I think I need to find me some "crack" here too...

Archived