BACON!!

EliMak79

I knew what you meant. ;)

I am too stubborn to give up all dried fruit and nuts, but I do have occasional nut and dried fruit free days to stop the snack habit. Like today. I'm roasting Brussels sprouts for a snack later today. Yum. Only think to do this when I go cold turkey on the nuts and fruit...

As for that pork belly. After reading all Robin's posts my mouth is watering and I think I need to find me some "crack" here too...

You knew what I meant because you've known me for over a year. :)

I'm with you on the crack. I'm on a mission.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You knew what I meant because you've known me for over a year. :)

I'm with you on the crack. I'm on a mission.

All thanks to LL. Haven't seen her lately but she is doing well and was just in Nashville with friends doing another race. She is NUTS about her running. It's her "crack"... :)

Need to ask her about that pork belly. I am sure she knows where I can get some here where we live...

Is there a butcher around who would slice you some pork belly (the cut bacon is made from) without curing it (that's how I get mine)? I just use a little clarified butter in the pan and season it with generous salt and some pepper. Better than traditional bacon - I'll never go back!

Robin, do you use ay particular spices on the sliced pork belly? I bought several pounds of sliced pastured pork belly at my local Grocery store for $2.99 per pound. That is a lot cheaper than bacon. And I want to make some myself. Thanks for any help.

That looks yummy, but way more complicated than what I do ;0)

I combine my seasonings in a small bowl before I start to cook.

1/2 tsp celery salt, 1/4-1/2 tsp pepper and 3/4-1 tsp (depending on how salty you like your bacon) per pound.

Stovetop: Melt a couple tablespoons of ghee in a large pan over upper medium heat (#6 or 7 on my electric range). When the pan's hot, add PB slices like you would bacon. Sprinkle generously with seasonings and fry until golden brown and crispy.

Note: They will be ugly and won't brown right away. They'll turn grey. But when they do brown up, oh baby. Watch out ;0)

Oven: Cover a large baking sheet with tin foil. Spread PB slices on it. Sprinkle on seasonings. Bake at 400 for 15ish minutes, or until pork is browned. Remove to a cooling rack to drain and cool. <----- This is how I usually do it.

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and as luck would have it I come across a thread about one of my favorite things, Bacon! Living in Louisiana we love us some pig! I have been making my own bacon before I started the Whole30. It is very simple if you can get hold of the pork belly (and as has been stated, is über delicious).

I use a brine of smoked salt and smoked cracked pepper for part of the process. I let the pork belly brine fully coverd for at least 3 days, then dry it off and smoke it for about 6 hours. After that its slice and cook as wanted. It is truly the gateway drug for vegetarians. :-)

P.S. If you ever get the chance to eat Cracklins, it will blow your mind. Think of them as bacon gone wild!

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum and as luck would have it I come across a thread about one of my favorite things, Bacon! Living in Louisiana we love us some pig! I have been making my own bacon before I started the Whole30. It is very simple if you can get hold of the pork belly (and as has been stated, is über delicious).

I use a brine of smoked salt and smoked cracked pepper for part of the process. I let the pork belly brine fully coverd for at least 3 days, then dry it off and smoke it for about 6 hours. After that its slice and cook as wanted. It is truly the gateway drug for vegetarians. :-)

P.S. If you ever get the chance to eat Cracklins, it will blow your mind. Think of them as bacon gone wild!

LOL on the gateway drug for vegetarians. That's hysterical.

Hi Mr. B. C an you please tell me the exact process you use for smoking the pork bellies. I bought some and want to make them into bacon. Thanks a lot.

Hi folks,

Yes, Mr B...Pleeeeaaasssee??? :) I finally went to the Farmers Market and bought some raw pork belly from the same people who I buy my pastured chickens and their eggs from. So excited!! I also ran over to Penzys to get some smoked sea salt. I'm ready. Let the party commence. :D

I made the recipe I posted earlier, and the bacon comes out perfect (and is easy to slice) but my personal preference is salt with no pepper, so I will do that next time.

Okay Xandra. Since I am tired of just staring at my pork belly, I am doing your method. Wish me well. :) So excited. Like a 2 year old at Christmas.

Okay Xandra. Since I am tired of just staring at my pork belly, I am doing your method. Wish me well. :) So excited. Like a 2 year old at Christmas.

Good luck! The proof was that my kids ate their bacon, even with all the paprika and pepper. Hope you like it as much as we do.

Okay, so my first attempt at making bacon.. it was a bit too salty for me so I will learn from my mistakes and try again. I am gonna chop it up into lardons and freeze, I think it will go well using as a flavor enhancer to collards, spinach, cabbage etc etc. Tomorrow I will start a new pork belly, cutting the salt in half. I used salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and for a twist a little bit of ground cloves. To me it was tasty, just too salty. I will endeavor to make perfect bacon!

I was careful about the salt and went heavy on the pepper. LOVE it. It's the best thing ever. I did chop some of it up to use in salads and other lardon needing dishes too. I like the idea of the ground cloves. I will do that next time. Sounds earthy and good.

I am going to look for pork belly this week. That is one food I really love....bacon. This makes me excited.

Whole Foods makes their own bacon so they always have or can get pork belly. :) Took me forever and a day to figure that out. I figured it would be a special order and didn't even think about their own bacon. I got mine at the farmers market, so that is another great place to find it.

slw - did you brine yours? Was it already sliced? I've been looking for some sort of base recipe to use on my sliced belly (because I keep forgetting to ask for a whole one...)

They took the skin off for me. They asked if I wanted it sliced and I decided no this time just because I felt like experimenting with thickness for different uses. I sprinkled it heavily with salt, tons of pepper and celery salt (I think that was your idea). I have huge cleavers so I will probably keep getting it whole, but I'm a weirdo. I baked it for 3 hours at 200 then turned the oven off for another 1.5 hours. Next time, I am going to try just doing the spice brine and then slicing and browning. I love experimenting.

This is the recipe I used. Xandra had posted it back on page one or two. :)

http://americanfood.about.com/od/breakfastandbrunch/r/Making-Fresh-Bacon-At-Home.htm

Is there a butcher around who would slice you some pork belly (the cut bacon is made from) without curing it (that's how I get mine)? I just use a little clarified butter in the pan and season it with generous salt and some pepper. Better than traditional bacon - I'll never go back!

Cheaper too. And if the butcher has a smoker, ask him to throw it in there for you ahead of time.

Archived