My Next W30!

Raven

Day 0

I'm starting my next Whole30 tomorrow.  I've got the first four days of it off from work and the weather looks gorgeous, so I think I'll have a good start!

The decision to do this W30 has been a long time coming.  I've struggled with food issues (especially sugar!) for most of my life, and have done multiple W30s and even a W60 in the past (which have helped immensely!).  However, for the past 6+ months, I've been eating whatever I want.  It's been a scary journey, but I've learned things from it.  Lately though, I've been getting really sick of being tired, foggy-headed, and apathetic and want to get back to eating good food more consistently.

So here we go!

I re-started the W30 Daily e-mails and have my ISWF and W30 books ready.  I have purposely not set any goals for this W30, as they oftentimes distract me from other aspects of the plan.

...Except to sleep!  My god, am I going to sleep!  :D

Blergh!  Now with the "edit" button gone, I can't go back and add stuff to my previous posts.  Ah, well.

Day 1 Con't.

Only had two meals today, as I didn't get out of bed until noon.  Had three eggs fried in coconut oil, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potato and ghee, and kombucha for breakfast.  Dinner is baked coho salmon with salt and ghee on top(!); mushrooms sautéed with salt, ghee, fish sauce, and coconut aminos (Try it!  Yum!); and lettuce with salt, EVOO, and white vinegar.

I batch cooked a buncha salmon and got some lettuce washed and ready for quick salads.  Also bought various Epic bars and some grass-fed beef bones for stock tomorrow.   :D

Gonna put on my orange glasses, as the sun is setting.  Time for ((_ _))ZZzzz soon.

Day 2

It took me awhile to fall asleep last night, but I probably slept at least eight hours.  I woke up earlier than expected too.

I know this day is supposed to be Grumpy Pants Day, but everything was going fine until my roommate came out to the kitchen and started telling me how to cook my breakfast.  Then she yelled at my dog for barking and that just made me mad.   :angry:   Omg!!  Now she's just standing in the kitchen stirring her tea!

Anyway, it's beautiful outside again and I have a new shrimp recipe I'm going to try for dinner.  Looking forward to these things.  Yes.

Day 2 Con't.

Ready to give in already!  I got back from running around the park with my dog and just didn't feel like eating or making anything.  Thought I'd just have an Epic bar, but realized that's sort of cheating when I have good food in the fridge.  I'm already having cravings for cookies and cream ice cream among other things!  Ah!  Usually the cravings don't start so soon!  I ended up having a small piece of salmon and lettuce with EVOO and salt.  I had such a late breakfast (which lasted a couple hours), that I thought I might make it to dinner like yesterday.  Not so much.

Day 2 Con't. Again

I just made some awesome shrimp for dinner!  I've only ever cooked shrimp at home once before where it was an ingredient in a recipe.  So these shrimp are a little over cooked, but hey.  I peeled and deveined the shrimp and steamed them in a double boiler.  While they were cooking, I melted some ghee and mixed it with fresh lime juice, salt, and garlic powder.  When the shrimp were done, I tossed them in the ghee mixture, then put them on top of sautéed green beans and drizzled the remaining mixture on top!  W :D W!

Day 3

So I'm pretty sure I slept 12+ hours last night.  I did wake up at one point due to a bad dream, but still...that's a lot of sleeping.  That said, I woke up pretty hungry and nearly had a blood sugar crash before I could check on my beef stock, make a new batch of mayo, and microwave my leftovers!  So now I'm slowly eating some salmon with mayo (Heck yes!), green beans, and buttnutt squash with coconut oil and cinnamon.

Gonna take the dog for a good park run later and try to figure out what else I can batch cook.

Also:  Nearly gave up yesterday, but am now glad I didn't!

Day 4

Ugh.

That about sums it up, but to elaborate...

Yesterday, I was only able to get two meals in and I finished dinner (tuna salad; lettuce with EVOO, salt, and white vinegar; zucchini and yellow squash with salt fried in coconut oil; 1/2 GT's original kombucha) around 8p and went to bed at 10p.  I didn't sleep well, but woke up around 10:30 feeling off and soon realized I felt like I was going to throw up.  I went upstairs and took the dog out and realized that my blood sugar was really low.  While I was out with the dog, I felt as if I might faint.  I came back in and grabbed the other half of the kombucha and some TigerNuts and slowly started drinking/eating those.  About 20 minutes later, I felt that I needed to lie down. It took me about an hour and a half to feel well enough to get up and finish the kombucha and have more TigerNuts.  I was still feeling a bit nauseated, but my roommate suggested I try some eggs, so I cooked some scrambled eggs with salt in coconut oil.  They definitely made me feel better, but I was still a little nauseated.  Around three, I had a Nick's Stick and more TigerNuts.  I felt better after that and then had chicken, pork, cauliflower, salad greens, and sweet potato casserole for dinner.  I still don't feel quite right, but I know now that I definitely need to be eating more.

I don't recall ever having a blood sugar crash where I felt this nauseated (to the point where I didn't want to eat anything), but used to have blood sugar crashes all the time when I was a vegetarian.

Day 5

Much better today!  Wish I'd gotten to bed earlier, but still had some good, solid sleep.  I forgot to mention yesterday that I got more batch cooking done.   :D

This is my first day back at work and it's bound to be a busy day, so we'll see how things go.

I should mention too that my belly seems trimmer already and my skin is definitely smoother!

Day 9

Already losing track of the days!  I seem to be waking up earlier, which is nice.  And my mood seems to be improving.  My sleep has improved and my body composition has already changed!  My skin is already gloriously better!  My energy is more even, but I'm still struggling with getting enough food and cooking enough.  To give you an idea, yesterday's food...

Meal 1

-three eggs with salt fried in ghee

-sweet potato casserole (without nuts)

-three dill spears with mayo

-a cup of bone broth

Meal 2

-4 small chicken drumsticks baked with coconut oil and Borsari original seasoning

-yellow potatoes baked with lard and Borsari savory seasoning

-lettuce with EVOO and white vinegar

-1/2 GT's bilberry kombucha

Meal 3

-1/2 serving of ribs with dry rub

-1/2 serving hanger steak with salt and pepper

-mushrooms with salt sautéed in ghee and EVOO

-Melissa Joulwan's Ethiopian cabbage

It seems like enough, and I'm following the meal template, but I'm still not sure.  I'm not working out (currently taking a break from CrossFit), though I work three to five days a week at a job where I'm on my feet the whole time and lifting and reaching quite often.  I do know that I could use more green veggies, but this is a big issue for me.  Several times in the past, I've just gotten burned out on them (broccoli, green beans, sugar snap peas, cabbage, pickles, zucchini, lettuce, spinach, kale, swiss chard, Brussels sprouts), that I simply can't get myself to eat any more.  So I try to have at least one per meal now and not overwhelm myself with them.

Maybe I'm not drinking enough water?  I love water and rarely drink anything else.  I also always have a bottle or glass of water with me.  Maybe the first week I just saw so many improvements, that I got excited and need to give it more time.

Day 11

Wow!  Day 11!  I'm keeping up with cooking things which is super exciting for me.  lol  I noticed yesterday that most of my aches and pains are gone!  I've been having issues with my neck, back, and feet ever since I fell back into my old ways after my W60 ended in March.  These things are still healing, but are considerably better!  I even started seeing a chiropractor a couple months ago, yet the adjustments didn't even help as much as a week on W30 has.   :blink:

Anyway, I have some good/bad news.  I have decided to end my W30 a bit early.  Three of my family members asked me to do a whole foods cleanse with them.  I understand that this may sound odd... to interrupt a W30 to do a "cleanse," BUT I want to support my family.  One of the three has done a W30 before, another has done half a W30, and the third won't try it.  I am amazed that the third wants to do this cleanse, so I am more than happy to support her.  The only main difference is that during this cleanse, I will be taking some additional supplements (things that I often take when not on W30).  I plan to keep my food as close to W30 as possible and follow other aspects of the W30, such as eating three meals per day and shooting for 9-9.5 hours of sleep each night.  If this were my first W30, I probably wouldn't stop, but considering how good I am feeling after only a week, I'm ok with ending early.   :)

Day 13

Today starts the prep week of the cleanse, so yesterday was the end of my Whole12.  I would like to announce that it was a smashing success!   :D  There are still bits and pieces I want to work on, but I learned some things in these last 12 days that I didn't learn on any of my other W30s.  I learned to be patient, that having a snack is better than not eating (Epic bar after a close at 10pm), and that I really can heal myself.  I will be continuing to stay W30 compliant over the next week as most of the things we reduce for this prep week (refined sugars, cow's milk dairy, alcohol, gluten, caffeine and red meat/pork) are not Whole30.

Things that happened:

-reduced inflammation all over

-more stable mood

-happy more of the time

-my skin is BEAUTIFUL

-reduced cravings

-having good dreams at night

-digestion is improving

-waking up earlier

I don't quite have Tiger Blood yet, but I can see it just over the horizon...

Archived