Can't get started again

Akleatherhead

I completed my first whole30 in April and lost 17 pounds! My wife and I have been on an off since then. I have been trying hard the last 2 months to stick with it. I have lost my battle and gained 10 pounds back. I do good for a couple days then fail and have pizza and beer or Chinese food or ice cream. The first whole30 didn't seem as hard as this round does, anyone have any helpful ideas?

One other thing I often need to consider is stress levels and sugar reactions.  If it's beer, pizza, ice cream, or Chinese, the thing that holds all those together is that they are fantastic comfort foods with loads of simple carbs.  I'd be eating them if I were very stressed or very tired.  Or if I'd gotten back into a pattern where sugar was grabbing my hormonal systems and making things crazy.

So ... just another way to think about it.  Probably covered pretty well in the article, too.

ThyPeace, lived that roller coaster for a long time before learning that life really did have to change.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the same trouble. I can completely empathize. I know how good I feel when I stick to it including physically, emotionally, mentally... and yet, I have trouble.

I'm going to read the article the other person posted, thank you so much for that... I'm feeling like for me, it's a few things....

1. I've been conditioned to believe eating something at the prescribed meal times (even if it's not compliant) is better than not eating anything. I think I need to get that out of my head.

2. I need to take a few breaths to deal with stress instead of grabbing something...

3. Finally, when faced with peer pressure, snacks or cake or celebrations at the office are really bad or just going to dinner with a friend, I need to maybe even write down the benefits of staying clean or the bad symptoms I have when I am not compliant... Just a hard reminder of the benefits which so vastly outweigh the "how bad I feel afters".

I had trouble starting again, and sticking with it. I did a Whole5, a Whole 10, and even a Whole1.  :D This time... not even a ripple of a problem. The difference, for me, was twofold... First, I re-subscribed to the daily e-mails. Yup, I still have every single one from my first Whole30. Yup, I could just pick 'em up & read 'em in order, every day. But did I? Nope. Did it make a difference when they were delivered to my inbox? Sure did! Why? Beats me. But if it works, I'll take it. Second... I committed to *never, ever* being hungry. I actually over-ate, because there were times I could have easily gone 6 or 7 hours between meals. But this, for me, meant I was never tempted off plan, because I was simply too full to want to even look at food (or, technically, non-food). I ate to capacity every single meal. The difference in my Day 30 results, between my 1st & my 2nd Whole30's were minimal. But the difference in how well I handled it, and how much I learned, was huge.

Best of luck to both of you!

Archived