PaleoVirgin SugarJunkie Cats 1st Whole30 :-) (eeek)

CaitrionaOC

Day -12

Start date is September 28th so less than 2 weeks away aaaaaah!

'It Starts with Food' has just arrived. It's a very interesting book, and motivating! Although it's probably a little counterproductive to read it while polishing off a large bag of chili doritos and a glass of wine ...  :ph34r:

Currently my body runs on about 50% sugar, 40% potato/butter/cheese and 10% wine, and has done for around the past 6 months. I tick the big stress-eater, boredom-eater box, but thankfully my work circumstances have changed so its a good time to start.

Health, lets be having ya  :rolleyes::D

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1

Meal 1: 2 x large boiled eggs, salad with 1/2 avocado, 2 tomatoes and 4 spring onions and seasoned with fresh lime juice, salt & pepper

Did a 21km cycle at a fairly leisurely pace and ate a banana half way through.

Meal 2: Thai Chicken Soup (chicken, chilli, ginger, garlic, onion, carrots, spinach, bakchoi, coriander, coconut oil, coconut milk)

Meal 3: Meatballs (homemade), tomato sauce with mushrooms & courgetti

I've been drinking peppermint tea when I feel like eating something sweet.

...I think I need to buy a hell of lot more peppermint tea! :lol:

Day 3

Meal 1: Sweet potato hash with 2 fried eggs from NomNomo paleo:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs

This is DELICIOUS!! I could eat it for all 3 meals

Meal 2 and 3 were the same as the last 2 days :-)

I was not as hungry on Day 3. I had a Body Combat class at 7.15pm, so I hate half of Meal 3 before and half after and it worked out quite well!

The recommendation for preWO is lean protein & fat so boiled eggs are a good portable option - olives are good though too as many people opt to eat just fat... 

PostWO aim for a lean protein and an optional starchy veg.

Day 5

Meal 1 - Loulabelle I took your advice, had a 3 egg omlette with sauteed mushooms, spring onion and red pepper, with kiwi and blueberries on the side

Meal 2 - Curried broccoli soup from Nom nom Paleo with some left over roast lamb - delicious soup! - needs a good dash of salt to bring out the flavour

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2345953636/curried-cream-of-broccoli-soup

Had a tin of tuna with a tbsp of homemade mayo as my pre-WO snack

Meal 3 - roast salmon with roasted sweet potato and shallots, kale and brocolli, 1/2 avocodo and some homemade mayo on the side

Feeling a few aches in my muscles today, but no other major side effects  :)

Day 6

Meal 1 - as yesterday except I substituted 1 of the eggs for 2 turkey rashers instead

Meal 2 - as yesterday except instead of the lamb, I had a can of tuna with a tbsp of homemade mayp

Meal 3 - as yesterday

Of course the side effects have dropped by just when I thought I was flying it! 

Had a mild headache for a few hours today, some very light dizziness, a bit achy, and unpleasant tummy situation which thankfully has corrected itself!

Went and got myself a probitioc and some vitamin D as have read on here that they can help :-)

Also today I bought a slow cooker, and the lovely butcher gave me 3 chicken carcasses for free so the stock is on to cook!

Day 7

This was the hardest day so far. I'd had a headache the night before and fell asleep around 10pm! Dragged myself out of bed around 8a.m still quite tired. Just felt a bit down all day.

Meal 1 - 2 frieds eggs with sweet potato hash and kiwi and blueberries

Meal 2 - (NomNom Paleo) Curried Brocolli Soup, I used 4 turkey rashers as the protein

Meal 3 - Grilled salmon, kale, broccoli, (and roasted sweet potatos - ended up eating early as a snack!)

I didn't have a busy day and I'm very much a boredom eater, so I snacked on my sweet potatoes, a plum and some almonds between Meal 2 and Meal 3

Generally felt a bit crap and on edge. Think I need to make sure I'm busy next weekend, I don't like being idle very much.

Day 8

Big improvements today! The first day that I've woken up before my alarm, and felt alert this morning. 

Meal 1 - 2 fried eggs with sauteed red pepper, spring onion, spinach and mushroom

Snacked on some almonds

Meal 2 - Big green salad with homemade mayo dressing and chicken breast dressed with mayo/basil/lime juice and an apple

Meal 3 - vietnamese lamb shanks with brocolli and spinach from this recipe (adapted for Whole30)- http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/67613/vietnamese-lamb-shanks-with-sweet-potatoes

The achces and pains are mostly gone, so I need to get my arse into the gym this week!

Day 9

Meal 1 -  2 frieds eggs with sweet potato hash 

Spin & Tone class - had 10 almonds and a plum after

Meal 2 - same as yesterday

Meal 3 - same as yesterday

I felt good today. Was a bit dizzy at the gym though, so next time I've got a morning class I'll have 3 eggs instead of 2 and need to have prepared a better post-workout snack as well.

Got great news last night - I have NEVER celebrated anything with a peppermint tea, it was a bit grim, I really wanted to crack open a bottle of wine! 

Day 10

Meal 1 - mushroom and tomatos with 2 scrambled eggs
Meal 2 - same as Day 8

Pre-WO - small bowl of curried beef stew

Body balance and body combat class

Meal 3 - Curried beef stew the broccoli and greens

http://therealfoodguide.com/beef-stew-crock-pot-recipe/

The beef was ok, a wee bit dry but I think I didn't cook it for long enoug, I substituted the spices for a whole30 compliant spice mix I found in my supermarket.

I've been on a fairly even keel the last few days, generally feeling pretty good, and in a good mood, no food dreams yet!

Hi Caitriona, a lot of the mods recommend having a serving (fist-sized) of starchy carb every day to help with mood and energy. On the days when you don't have your sweet potato hash, you might want to have a serving of potatoes, beets, carrots, parsnips, or butternut squash.

Your soups sound yummy.  :D

Day 11

Meal 1 - White potato (no sweet potato left :-() hash with 2 fried eggs

Spin and Tone class

Post WO - Plum and handful of almonds

Meal 2 - I thawed the remainder of the brocolli soup from last week and had it with can of tuna and homemade mayo

Meal 3 - Curried beef stew with broccoli and greens, and some griddled aubergines with homemade mayo

I made this breakfast meatloaf to change up from the eggs a bit, its very easy to make!
http://meatified.com/slow-cooker-breakfast-meatloaf/

Felt good all day, but I didn't get much work done today, was very distracted, I don't think its Whole30 related though so hopefully tomorrow will be more productive!

Day 12

Meal 1 - 2 slices of the meatloaf, grilled tomatoes and a grilled mushroom

Meal 2 - Broccolli soup with some of the meatloaf crumbled in - nice combination!

Meal 3 - That feckin beef stew again, I'm getting tired of it now, with greens, broccoli and grilled aubergines with mayo

The meatloaf was nice but for me theres too much aniseed flavour from the Fennel seeds, will use half this the next time,

Got lots of work done and felt good on Day 12

Day 13

Meal 1 - 2 slices of meatloaf, grilled tomatoes and a grilled mushoom, plus a fried egg this time as i had the gym

Body pump class (45m) followed by spin class (45m)

Meal 2 - the last remnants of that blasted curried beef stew, I'm glad to see that back of it!

Meal 3 - (I'm writing this preemptively!) will be beef burgers with onion, tomato and guacamole, and roasted parsnips

I'm writing this post Meal 2, stuggled getting up this morning, but it took me awhile to sleep last night, I think because I had no exercise on Friday so I wasn't as worn out. Might need to incorporate exercise in every day. 

Day 14

Meal 1 - 2 eggs + sweet potato hash browns

My first run, did day 1, week 1 of Couch25K app, turns out I'm not a runner  :lol:  will keep trying it though

Meal 2 - beef burgers with onion, tomato and guacamole, and roasted parsnips (delish!)

Then spent 6 hours in a pub watching rugby and soccer (*best rugby game I've seen in a lonnnnng time!) and resisted all of the pints, including the free pints provided by the bar when Kearney scored that magic try, and the free nibbles at half time. 

Meal 3 - was much later than usual, baked salmon, homemade mayo, broccoli & spinach

Took me much longer to get to sleep because I ate so late and was still buzzing from the match 

But it was my first real test at abstaining from alcohol, and success!

Day 15

Halfway yuhoooodlooooooo  :D  :P  :rolleyes:

Meal 1: 2 fried eggs, grilled tomatoes and mushroom

Snacked on 10 almonds

Meal 2: Baked salmon, brocolli, spinach and some olives

Meal 3: same as yesterday plus 4 grapes

Felt great today, was a little hard getting up as I slept funny (because I ate so late yesterday) but in a great mood and was very productive at work. Will be turning in early tonight! zzzzz ^_^

I also made this breakfast quiche for the next 4 breakfasts, its easy and very delicious!!
http://www.andreatooley.com/2014/09/whole30-quiche-with-sweet-potato-crust/

Day 16

Meal 1: 1/4 of the breakfast quiche

WO - Spin/Tone class (1hr)

Meal 2: Baked salmon, brocolli, spinach and some olives and a kiwi

Meal 3: A plum, Grilled lamb chops with homemade mayo, brocolli and roasted cauliflower from this recipe, which I'd highly recommend, its so tasty!! I omitted the butter & almonds
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/roasted-cauliflower-with-cumin-coriander-and-almonds/#H6y77SVrrvoVixCT.97

I felt really good today, particularly during the gym class :)

Day 17

Meal 2: Soup made with homemade chicken bone broth (thawed), carrots and peas (grown by Dad!), and tin of tuna for protein with mayo for fat

Pre-WO: a Kiwi and some olives

WO - Body balance (45m) and Body combat (45m)

Meal 3: Same as yesterday

I felt amazing today! And writing this on the morning of Day 18, had the best nights sleep yet!  B)

Day 17

Meal 2: Soup made with homemade chicken bone broth (thawed), carrots and peas (grown by Dad!), and tin of tuna for protein with mayo for fat

Pre-WO: a Kiwi and some olives

WO - Body balance (45m) and Body combat (45m)

Meal 3: Same as yesterday

I felt amazing today! And writing this on the morning of Day 18, had the best nights sleep yet!  B)

By peas are we talking English garden peas?

If so unfortunately they are a legume and as such they are off limits during your Whole30  :wacko: 

If we're talking snap peas or something similar where it's more pod than pea then that's fine......

Archived