I guess I have to start over?

Merle

I'm supposed to be on day 16. While traveling, I was staying at a friend's house (who happens to be French and a great ... And very proud...cook) he was disappointed that he couldn't cook everything he wanted for me but was very accommodating with lots of fish and veggies. A couple nights ago we had a wonderful curry and I asked him before if he had put and sugar or soy or anything in it. He said of course not. The next day, I noticed my acne return a little but didn't think much of it, today I had all the left overs and asked again just to make sure, he said, "I swear it is just chicken veggies and curry sauce" and he held up the jar! I assumed he had made it himself, but the premade sauce had the whole gamut: sugar, peanuts, soy, cornstarch, I stopped readin there because I started to cry, but probably lots of preservatives.

I guess I have to start over huh?

• Moderators

Yes, it would probably be best to start over -- although it is up to you, and here's the article that we direct people to to decide if they should start over. If it helps at all in your thinking, you could tack another 30 days onto your Whole30 -- so if the last curry you ate was day 16, add 30 to that and do a Whole46. Some people find that mentally, this feels better than going back to day 1, although in the end, it's the same number of days.

Oh, yeah, it had milk in it too. I mean, I spent tons of money and time over last few weeks, not to mention stress and feeling like a huge pain in the butt to everyone I know... For what feels like nothing, just because his guy had no understanding of what I actually meant when I told him NO sugar, dairy...

• Moderators

Oh, yeah, it had milk in it too. I mean, I spent tons of money and time over last few weeks, not to mention stress and feeling like a huge pain in the butt to everyone I know... For what feels like nothing, just because his guy had no understanding of what I actually meant when I told him NO sugar, dairy...

It wasn't nothing, definitely don't feel like it's nothing. Those days were still spent improving your health and learning to read labels and pay attention to what you put in your body. 

And as you begin day 1 again, it's not going to be as rough. While it's Day 1, you aren't "starting all over". You're gut needs to start from day 1 again, but the challenges you faced getting to day 16 (fatigue, headache, cravings, getting with the program) those won't be so strong and may be totally absent.

I found one of the hardest parts was putting my food in other people's hands. I've only eaten out twice since I started, and I'm post Whole30 at this point. It's nerve wracking and I feel like unless I watch them make the food, I can't /really/ know that they understood me fully. I actually wonder about making some sort of card that I could give someone, that points out prepared foods (jarred/canned) need to be checked, what words mean sugar, etc.

::Hugs::  You got this.

I have found that people, however well meaning, don't really get a whole30 until they have done one. A little different but I have a wheat allergy and got ill a while back (not whilst on a whole30 but sticking mainly to it) because my sister had tried so very hard but hadn't even thought about checking the ingredients on a stock cube...I haven't told her as it would upset her and she'd made so many other modifications

but I haven't eaten outside my own kitchen since.

It's almost too much to ask someone who hasn't made the choice to do this to take on that responsibility ;(

• 1 month later...

I'm in a position of "technically" needing to start over from a gaff that happened on day 18. But I'm not going to start over because I intend on doing another Whole30 after the holidays. I don't have any medical issues that I'm hoping will be solved by this diet - it is more that I need to reset my attitude towards eating, such as breaking the habit of emotionally eating. I went to an amazing Italian restaurant last night (one where they make their own pasta in-house) and I ordered grilled chicken and broccoli. I requested the chicken without the cheese. It came with cheese. The group that I was with is a group from my company and I did NOT want to be the picky person in this group to send my food back or sit there and pick cheese off. So, I ate the cheese. 

I feel that, for me, it would be different if I had broken down and ordered a bowl of pasta. But that isn't what happened - it was truly an oversight of the restaurant that I ended up with cheese. 

What an uncomfortable position! And I bet it took a while for the food to be served to the group! Another option could have been to ask the wait staff to bring you a side of naked broccoli. That is what you ordered and what you deserve. Business colleagues should respect you holding firm to your initial order, after all they have their own deadlines and standards to uphold.

(And an easy explanation, if you feel you need one, is that you are lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy. Right now you are!)

Good luck!

What an uncomfortable position! And I bet it took a while for the food to be served to the group! Another option could have been to ask the wait staff to bring you a side of naked broccoli. That is what you ordered and what you deserve. Business colleagues should respect you holding firm to your initial order, after all they have their own deadlines and standards to uphold.

(And an easy explanation, if you feel you need one, is that you are lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy. Right now you are!)

Good luck!

I don't agree with your easy out. Saying you have an allergy when you don't is a bad idea for a couple reasons. It does a disservice to those who have true allergies. In some cases it means that wait staff, at professional establishments, have to go through additional rigorous procedures to handle your food that (not having an actual allergy) you don't need them to do. And finally, the one that I think is the biggest reason for me, at some point your Whole30 will be done, and you may elect to have that "allergy" food, even if only some of the time. At this point you've lied to these people and they can see it. They're going to distrust people with food allergies, and think everyone is making them up. And they're going to distrust you, and if you've talked about it... probably the theories you've shared about what foods are healthy and not.

I think you can be honest and have the same outcome. I'm not eating dairy right now. It's as simple as having an allergy, but it's true.

I didn't want to go into a discussion at all of my dietary habits, or that i'm doing a Whole30, or really anything to bring extra attention to myself on this topic. As it was, I had a couple of people notice that I didn't order pasta and asked me if I was trying to "be good" and I just said that I was. And I agree about not saying that I'm allergic to cheese. Some people will make a point to make a mental note that someone has an allergy. I'd hate to find out later that they're going an extra mile to make sure that I don't wind up with cheese when it's really okay for me to eat it. I felt like I put forth a good and honest effort. And the chicken breast that I brought home for later (I was served two), I picked the cheese off it :-)

• Moderators

I'm supposed to be on day 16. While traveling, I was staying at a friend's house (who happens to be French and a great ... And very proud...cook) he was disappointed that he couldn't cook everything he wanted for me but was very accommodating with lots of fish and veggies. A couple nights ago we had a wonderful curry and I asked him before if he had put and sugar or soy or anything in it. He said of course not. The next day, I noticed my acne return a little but didn't think much of it, today I had all the left overs and asked again just to make sure, he said, "I swear it is just chicken veggies and curry sauce" and he held up the jar! I assumed he had made it himself, but the premade sauce had the whole gamut: sugar, peanuts, soy, cornstarch, I stopped readin there because I started to cry, but probably lots of preservatives.

I guess I have to start over huh?

This friend is a great, proud French cook and he served you jarred curry sauce?!?

Sorry that happened. Hang in there and stay strong! You can do this. HUGS.

• Moderators

I didn't want to go into a discussion at all of my dietary habits, or that i'm doing a Whole30, or really anything to bring extra attention to myself on this topic. As it was, I had a couple of people notice that I didn't order pasta and asked me if I was trying to "be good" and I just said that I was. And I agree about not saying that I'm allergic to cheese. Some people will make a point to make a mental note that someone has an allergy. I'd hate to find out later that they're going an extra mile to make sure that I don't wind up with cheese when it's really okay for me to eat it. I felt like I put forth a good and honest effort. And the chicken breast that I brought home for later (I was served two), I picked the cheese off it :-)

Not to pick on you, WholeUs, this is for anyone reading along ... if you want to fully ensure that your Whole30 elimination works, do not eat anything you have picked the cheese off, or think it's ok to remove the peas from a stew, etc. These foods don't stay separate, and even miniscule amounts can affect your results. Remember, you won't know if you have a serious sensitivity until you fully remove that food from your diet. Send it back! You're going to a whole lot of trouble to do this thing. Don't sabotage it because you don't want to speak up and ask for what you actually ordered.

Archived