Day 8 Disaster

So I was chugging along nicely on my first Whole 30 (started September 6), successful first week...just started feeling good, like really good. When I had a work dinner, it was a plated event and I called ahead and asked that my meal be prepared sans dairy and gluten, no dressings, butter, etc. I was told okay and given a "special" ticket to signify my choice.

Fast forward to the night of the dinner, to make a long story short although the dinner was served sans sauce I think there may have been some suspect ingredients used maybe butter/margarine as it tasted "not plain" so I stopped eating after only a couple bites. About 30-60 minutes later I began to feel flush, had a slight headache, and my neck/shoulders were sore. As the night went on I grew increasingly upset because I feel like I totally went off the Whole 30 plan when I had been so careful up to this point.

Woke up today, just mad at the world, irritated and just achey so I truly believe that there was something not compliant in the meal.

I need help...I know I should start over or just plan on extending my Whole 30 to a Whole 45 but I feel my old self in my head fighting to get out and cause a crash headfirst into a bowl of sugar b/c I've already "cheated" so just throw in the towel.

How can I reset myself without letting the anger and frustation of this meal derail the positive gains I had this last 8 days? How can I calm my body down?

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do to reset your focus and let go of the anger?

relax, getting upset is only going to make it worse. You did the right thing and called ahead and asked that special requests be made. After a few bites you realized something was amiss and you stopped eating. Frustrating, absolutely, but it's not the end of the world.

Since you have no idea what was in the meal that may have made you feel the way you did I would say forge ahead (others may disagree) with your whole30. If you feel better in a day or so great, if not maybe consider a reset.

Other things to consider...our minds are VERY powerful perhaps you were so sure that they were going to screw your meal up you ended up having a response depsite nothing crazy in your meal....the placebo effect is a real thing! Also, it could be that you are coming down with something and the symptoms you are experiencing have to do with a mild illness rather than non whole30 approved food.

From your post it sounds like you are pretty hot under the collar about this, calm down a bit and see how you feel. I would say forge ahead like nothing happened and see how you feel. If in a few days you still feel kind of punky maybe consider a reset. Go for a walk, get a bit of exercise. This is a minor bump in the road to better health. You can't control what other people do or don't do but you can control how you react to their actions or lack there of.

i would make it a whole45 and not worry about it anymore. you went to great lengths to do the best you could. maybe you got dosed with something, but it's completely out of your control. DON'T throw in the towel! diving into a bowl of sugar will only make you feel worse. and remember, YOU didn't go off plan. whoever prepared your meal didn't follow instructions. there's a world of difference.

hang in there!

Hey Cassie, totally agree with the posts above. Check it out, this happened on day 8, you were nearly 1/3 the way done, and, heck, you totally reacted and knew that it was not good for you. You did not eat it on purpose, and I say, just go for the 45. I will support ya. I am actually going for the wholelifechallenge, which is 8 weeks of this food plus more :)

Your head is in the right place. I don't even consider it a cheat. We live in a world and society with not good foods. Pat your selt on the back. Your mentaility is totally right! Nice job Cassie!

-Q

Just wanted to stop in and say thank you for your replies! I ate 3 Whole 30 approved meals yesterday and your comments put my mind set on the "big picture" and realized that I undertook this challenge to change my life, so taking a day at a time is where I am.

I am actually going for the wholelifechallenge, which is 8 weeks of this food plus more :)

-Q

Can I just say, You go Quinn!! I looked this up and wish you the best of luck...think it sounds like an incredibly rewarding journey.

As I begin day 10, I am shocked to wake up feeling still "tired" I guess I need to give my body more rest as it continues to adapt to this new type of fuel. I was feeling so good days 6&7 that I just assumed I was on my way up already. Anyone else experience this too?

Hey Cassie, how goes it for you? I ran into challenges over the weekend. Figured it out, but was at some pretty low places, so I get how this is hard.

You know, overall I'm doing pretty well. I feel so much better consistently throughout the day but am still struck by the food demons of the past at the most random times. For instance, yesterday around 4:00pm I really wanted an almond butter and jelly sandwich so badly. Haha doesn't seem like a super bad cheat but all I could think about was bread...sigh. But I made it through and kicked that craving to the curb. :D

The weekends have been more challenging for me as they are much less structured than my work week and I always "allowed" myself more freedom with my eating. I have made a goal for the remainder of the Whole 30 to focus on eating 3 structured sitdown meals on Saturday and Sunday to help combat this.

How are you doing without your energy drinks? Sometimes I find the most difficult aspect being the habit of what I used to do as opposed to the actual physical desire for it.

How has your wholelifechallenge started?

Best wishes!

Archived