Starting September 20, 2015

RealFoodieRD

Greetings!

I am getting ready to start my Whole30 journey this Sunday. 

I have decided to participate in Whole30 to see if it will help alleviate my acne and (undiagnosed) rosacea. I have tried conventional medical recommendations like antibiotics and topical creams. (This was before I knew about how precious my little gut bugs are.) I have found little to no success and sometimes feel treatment has made my skin worse. I am excited to see how changing my diet and lifestyle will affect my energy levels, brain fog, mood, and skin!

I plan to post pictures of my face throughout my journey to track my progress. 

T - 2 days

Welcome!

I too have skin issues. Years ago I was told it was perioral dermatitis and I could take antibiotics, but I passed. I just cover it with makeup. I saw a new derm a few months ago and she said it looks like rosacea. I'm trying new products but haven't had much luck.  

When I completed my first W30 I did notice some improvement with the redness. However, I didn't stick with it and went back to having redness.I've been doing some research around rosacea and am going to remove foods that are thought to trigger it in my next round of 30 days. Sadly that includes 3 of my favorites - avocado, spinach and tea. http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php I plan to add them to my reintro list to see if they all trigger it or if its something(s) specific. 

W30 will definitely help with mood, brain fog and energy levels as well! 

Good luck with your W30! I look forward to your updates. 

I'm starting my 2nd round tomorrow. I actually started round 2 this past Monday, but last night I got the chance to go out with my best friend that lives a hr away that I don't get to see very often. I ended up falling off big time, but it was worth it. So I'm realxing today and starting over tomorrow. I know I'm going to hate myself for the next 2 weeks, but I've got to get back on track. I just finished up my first whole30 last weekend that ended up being 63 days. I'm going to try to last until Thanksgiving which is 68 days. It's going to be rough, but I really need it, especially with all of the Halloween festivities my daughter will be involved in and all of the candy that comes with it. Good luck to you!   :P

When I completed my first W30 I did notice some improvement with the redness. However, I didn't stick with it and went back to having redness.I've been doing some research around rosacea and am going to remove foods that are thought to trigger it in my next round of 30 days. Sadly that includes 3 of my favorites - avocado, spinach and tea. http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php I plan to add them to my reintro list to see if they all trigger it or if its something(s) specific.  

I did not know that those foods were triggers for rosacea! I haven't been diagnosed yet. I basically haven't been going back to the dermatologist because I wasn't finding relief with their recommendations. I am hoping that cutting out alcohol will help a lot with my face. My main complaint is that my nose is SUPER red. We shall see! 

I went and purchased enough food for most of the week, I think. I planned to prep some tonight but I was really tired after work and making the trip to Costco, Whole Foods, and two other grocery stores! I enjoyed my last beer for the next 30 days and I'm ready to get started with some veggies and eggs in the morning!

I read more into the triggers. It's not tea itself but the temperature of it. So whew! I love my tea. I'll just have to keep it cold.

I think w30 will make a difference. During my 1st one friends commented on my "glow" and didn't notice the redness as much.

I'm working on using the last of my spinach and avocados and then I won't be buying anymore.

SRhodes 63 days is impressive! Great job!

I am planning to start this w30 on 09/21/2015. But so much to read and reread I am already losing focus. Any good suggestions? I hope to keep up reading but as of tomorrow I plan to be a healthy person with more energy and life. Why can't a step by step process be written, example shopping list of items you can enjoy, items to stay away from for the next 30. Seems like one article tells you to read more for here or there which is good to know but I want togged into the plan. Ok thanks for what ever suggestions you can provide.

Marty

Hey Marty, 

I think this page might have more of what you're looking for: http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/ 

The meal template is helpful. I have gotten a couple of recipes from Melissa Joulwan's website. This links you to some ideas for week 1 recipes: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/07/27/whole30-week-1-food-plan/

I would try to keep things as simple as possible. Just try to get a protein, fat, and vegetable at each meal. For example, my breakfast was 2 bell peppers chopped and sauteed in coconut oil with salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. Then I whisked up 3 eggs and put them in on top to make an omelet. Sliced some avocado on top. Easy!

I'm making the chocolate chili from the link above and that is also super easy to throw together. 

I hope this helps!

I read more into the triggers. It's not tea itself but the temperature of it. So whew! I love my tea. I'll just have to keep it cold.

I think w30 will make a difference. During my 1st one friends commented on my "glow" and didn't notice the redness as much.

I'm working on using the last of my spinach and avocados and then I won't be buying anymore.

SRhodes 63 days is impressive! Great job!

I love my tea too. Coffee makes me too jittery. I need to learn how to make my own iced tea. I could go for some right now! 

Marty I was going to recommend Melissa Joulwan's meal plan as well. I'm prepping to make her olive oil mayo as we speak. I also use recipes from Nom Nom Paleo's website. My go to for recipes though is Pinterest.

I like to keep my meals as basic as possible. Seasoned meat, veggies and a fat. On the weekends I prep for my lunches all week. I have 2 crockpot running, one with Nomnom paleo Kalua pork and the other with chicken breast in a compliant green enchilada sauce. Then I'll sautee veggies in the morning for both b'fast and lunch.

I've learned it's best simple and planned in advance. Good luck!

Today is DAY ONE for me too! Unfortunately it is not my first ever day one...earlier this year without doing any homework on Whole30, I started it with a friend who was very motivated to do the program...I however, was not!  So I made it to day 3 and the Sugar Dragon TOOK ME DOWN!  Not this time though...I've done my research, read the entire Whole30 book and convinced my wife to join me on this 30 day voyage...this time, I'm going all the way!

Day 3:

I made this roasted cabbage last night and it might be my new favorite food! http://pilatesnutritionist.com/roasted-purple-cabbage/I sliced some into an omelet this morning and it was fantastic!

I made Melissa's chocolate chili on Sunday and it's just so much meat. I'm having trouble figuring out what to pair with it. I just want corn bread and sour cream haha. I tried her crispy garlicy plantains to go with it last night with the cabbage and I definitely liked the sides better than the chili. My boyfriend likes it, so that's good I guess. 2 pounds is a lot of ground beef!

Overall, I have to say I'm feeling great. I feel like my acne is drying up a bit already. I had a headache Sunday night and Monday but I took some ibuprofen and I've been feeling great since. 

I hope everyone else is doing well. 

When in doubt I either roast zucchini or make cauliflower rice as a side. I made spaghetti last night. Well not really made, but warmed up. I found a wonderful compliant marinara since I was short on time. Sadly, it was much better than my made from scratch sauce. lol My fella eats regular noodles and I put my meat sauce on leftover roasted zucchini. It was good and less hassle (time) than making spaghetti squash. 

I'm going to try the recipe for roasted cabbage. Thanks! I will be running to the farmer's market straight after work. :)

Day 5:

Yesterday went well. I can't wait to finish all of that chili! I need to be better about prepping for the coming week this Sunday. I feel good for the most part. My face is blowing up with pimples including a massive cyst on my forehead. Let's just say I really wish I had bangs! Luckily I've already gotten over my red pimply face, but I'm hoping this will pass and my skin will become more clear.

I went to trivia at a bar with some friends last night and it was a great feeling to just order water and not partake in the nachos. My boyfriend is driving me nuts by offering me a bunch of foods that are not whole30. I need to figure out how to explain this program better I guess. I feel like I might just tell people I'm pregnant because that's easier to accept than saying I'm avoiding certain foods and alcohol to see what happens!

I would love to join this thread -- I started on September 19th! I've done one Whole 30 a couple of years ago and a couple of Whole15's since then.  I am mainly doing the Whole30 this time around to see if it helps my seasonal allergies and asthma. I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds but that isn't my main motivation.

RealFoodieRD ~ I don't have full blown rosacea but I do flush really easily and I also get patches of eczema on my legs and arms when stressed. Maybe the Whole30 will help these issues too. What part of NC are you in? I will be in Asheville the first weekend of November...can't wait!!!

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a good week 1. I know it's been challenging for me. I went to chipotle and found out they don't have carnitas due to trouble sourcing responsibly raised pork. It was a big disappointment! I ended up having steak which is cooked in rice bran oil. Not whole30. I'm not going to start over though.

I feel like I am seeing results with my skin which is nice. I've also noticed my little but of beer belly is starting to shrink!

How is everyone else doing? Is anyone else sick of cooking? :) does anyone have any recipes that they've made and loved? I made the pales pad Thai by Melissa joulwan and really liked it.

Is anyone noticing any struggles or bad habits? I am craving something crunchy- chips, crackers, etc. I bought some cucumbers to hopefully satisfy this craving. I've noticed I've been eating 1 or 2 dates to have something sweet. I need to try not to have them everyday.

@lainey- Asheville is an awesome town. Lots of beautiful hiking. It's also beer city USA which is definitely not whole30 but but we always go to the Thirsty Monk while we are there. What is bringing you to Asheville? I'm in Charlotte.

Sorry for the rambling!

Day 5:

Yesterday went well. I can't wait to finish all of that chili! I need to be better about prepping for the coming week this Sunday. I feel good for the most part. My face is blowing up with pimples including a massive cyst on my forehead. Let's just say I really wish I had bangs! Luckily I've already gotten over my red pimply face, but I'm hoping this will pass and my skin will become more clear.

I went to trivia at a bar with some friends last night and it was a great feeling to just order water and not partake in the nachos. My boyfriend is driving me nuts by offering me a bunch of foods that are not whole30. I need to figure out how to explain this program better I guess. I feel like I might just tell people I'm pregnant because that's easier to accept than saying I'm avoiding certain foods and alcohol to see what happens!

A good excuse that's easy to explain 9 months later is food allergies. :)

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a good week 1. I know it's been challenging for me. I went to chipotle and found out they don't have carnitas due to trouble sourcing responsibly raised pork. It was a big disappointment! I ended up having steak which is cooked in rice bran oil. Not whole30. I'm not going to start over though.

I feel like I am seeing results with my skin which is nice. I've also noticed my little but of beer belly is starting to shrink!

How is everyone else doing? Is anyone else sick of cooking? :) does anyone have any recipes that they've made and loved? I made the pales pad Thai by Melissa joulwan and really liked it.

Is anyone noticing any struggles or bad habits? I am craving something crunchy- chips, crackers, etc. I bought some cucumbers to hopefully satisfy this craving. I've noticed I've been eating 1 or 2 dates to have something sweet. I need to try not to have them everyday.

@lainey- Asheville is an awesome town. Lots of beautiful hiking. It's also beer city USA which is definitely not whole30 but but we always go to the Thirsty Monk while we are there. What is bringing you to Asheville? I'm in Charlotte.

Sorry for the rambling!

I used to hate to cook. I'm slowly falling in love with it and the challenges it brings. I rely heavily on my crockpot though. I cook everything in it. One of my favorites is to layer baby carrots, sliced onion, a can of diced tomatoes and chicken thighs (that I've rubbed with an olive oil seasoning - usually Italian seasoning, salt and pepper) and cook on low for 8 hours. It's an all in one meal - veggies, fat and protein. :) 

Sorry for the rambling!

I've also noticed skin results! My cheeks feel really smooth and I keep having to catch myself from petting them LOL! I usually have small clogged pores or small breakouts near my chin, but right now everything is pretty clear. I am a little tired of cooking, but I am trying to keep things relatively simple. Beef and broccoli sauteed with ginger and coconut aminos is one of my favorite and easy go-to recipes.  I've made Whole30-approved buffalo wings a few times, which I love. 

I've been doing good about making sure I eat veggies with every meal, but my one thing I am struggling with is to remember to drink enough water! 

RealFoodRD ~ I've been to the Thirsty Monk before... super fun bar with the delicious tacos! Yum! I am actually going that weekend for an event called The Green Race ... it's an extreme kayaking race on the Green River in Saluda, NC. The hike in to watch the race is crazy, but so worth it! I've never been to Charlotte but that is on my list too .. I know the whitwater center is there! 

@lissfish I think I might try that recipe at lunch. I started making a hash with sweet potatoes, white potatoes, onions, garlic, oregano and S&P. I love it! I made some ghee on Saturday and I'm really glad that I did. I've always loved butter and was really missing cooking with it.

@lainey that Green Race sounds really fun! Where are you from? The whitewater center in Charlotte is really awesome. They have free live music every Thursday and Saturday nights too!

How are things going for you guys? I feel like yesterday was my best day energy wise. I have been getting headaches more often than usual but it might be the change in the seasons. We are over halfway there!

Ohhh RFRD your hash sounds good with the mixed potatoes. I will have to try that! I'm the same way about ghee. It's hard for me to sub olive oil when I can have the buttery goodness of ghee. And it's so easy to make! 

Sadly I'm starting over tomorrow. I went to Vegas this past weekend for a 3 day country music festival and it was so hard to stay compliant. If I had been able to eat at a buffet each meal it would've been no problem. But we were on grounds from 2pm-12am for 3 days. I did the best I could and didn't go all binge-y crazy so I'm proud of myself for that. I don't have anything else planned like that for a few months thankfully. I wasn't prepared for that. :(

I was getting headaches when I wasn't eating enough food. Now that your body is getting energy from fat and protein (not sugar) you might need to up your food intake.  You're turning into a well oiled machine by now. :)

Archived