Starting mon 21 September. Anybody in?

britgirl

@GFChris,  while changing my relationship with food is one of the reasons I have started this challenge, I would also say most important to me is to take dairy, gluten, sugars and processed foods out of my diet. I don't want to defeat myself with making it such an insurmountable challenge that I give up before I can get through the initial 30 days. I take comfort in knowing that the foods I eat are compliant, even though I am exchanging a frozen fruit for a non-frozen one. I am trying to just make it through to the end of the 30 with as few stomach aches as possible, because eating meats is hard for my stomach to digest without the gall bladder to break down the fats. I will try my best one day at a time. 

To clarify, I was pointing out that while the frozen fruit/fruit juice concoction you described contains compliant ingredients, it would be considered a SWYPO treat. http://whole30.com/2014/10/sex-pants/

If you just ate berries and sliced fresh bananas, that would be a compliant way to enjoy them.

Regarding conducting a Whole30 without a gallbladder, you might find this thread helpful: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/162-whole30-without-a-gallbladder/

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mezito - on curbing emotional eating (massive one for me too) look up Eating Less.com by Gillian Rilley. (She's generally anti diet so although I wouldn't see this as a diet but more of a health plan I'd be careful not to get discouraged as we head into "kill all the things" days! But she's big on reducing systemic inflammation and whole food eating ) She has a unique approach to cravings and gets you to face them head on, analyse them a bit and accept them without satisfying them which then, excitingly forms new connections in your brain which get stronger with each good choice. Which is exactly what I think the whole 30 is doing with the no treat substitute thing.

I find it helpful to take a deep breath and ask how will I expect to feel in 3 mins time after eating this?

Stronger proud of myself and happy or regretful, uncomfortable and a failure?

There's a good bit in the w30 book p 38 and p 129 (tabout sugar but same theory)

You need to know I havnt sorted this by any means but let's bust them and neurally reprogramme in the next 28 days!

@allyson (help me here - is that how you reply to a specific post? With a # in front??)

how's it going?

I've also struggled to find almond milk and now have fridge full of non complient ( all have carrageenan in) but found what looks like an easy recipe on stupideasypaleo.com. It's the one recommended in the book so must be ok. I'm currently soaking almonds so will let you know!

But I'm also cautious about just replacing milk that I'm really missing so will try once and see how I do. I'm thinking it's better to have a complient "treat" occasionally than pack it in. Or is that just too feeble?

Have a great day. Well be so proud of ourselves and I'm sure this will all get easier and more natural soon.

Was it you with the courgette fritter recipe? Wd you share it please?

Jenny

@allyson (help me here - is that how you reply to a specific post? With a # in front??)

how's it going?

I've also struggled to find almond milk and now have fridge full of non complient ( all have carrageenan in) but found what looks like an easy recipe on stupideasypaleo.com. It's the one recommended in the book so must be ok. I'm currently soaking almonds so will let you know!

But I'm also cautious about just replacing milk that I'm really missing so will try once and see how I do. I'm thinking it's better to have a complient "treat" occasionally than pack it in. Or is that just too feeble?

Have a great day. Well be so proud of ourselves and I'm sure this will all get easier and more natural soon.

Was it you with the courgette fritter recipe? Wd you share it please?

Jenny

You can reply to a specific post by quoting it just as I have... (You can also do this with multiple posts using the multiquote function - just click on multiquote on all the posts you wish to reply to, and you can highlight in bold the part that's relevant, or delete some text leaving only the part your reply is to...)

Regarding your almond milk, if it's just for adding to coffee/tea then it;s fine (& MUCH better) to make your own, just don;t drink it as you would cow's milk for instance.

As far as a 'treat' goes we're really trying to get away from the mindset of using food as a reward - so, again, if you want almond milk in your tea or coffee that's fine. If you want a 'treat' buy a glossy magazine, a new nail polish, or a kitchen gadget or something - anything that's not to do with food.

I'm just starting day 3 and up until this morning things have gone really well. Right now the idea of eating anything is absolutely nauseating. For breakfast yesterday I struggle through a salad and some tuna. I'm having a hard time thinking of this meal as "Meal 1" and eating anything I would typically eat for lunch or dinner. Last night I made breakfast sausage but the idea of eating those is even making me feel sick. The simple solution would be to eat eggs for breakfast every day but unfortunately I'm allergic. I think I'll just wait it out and hope the nausea passes.

Good luck with day 3 everyone!! We've got this!  

Hello, all! Can I join in? Monday was my (re)start day, too. I started Sept. 1, then a week in my father died unexpectedly - with all that entailed, I took a couple of weeks off but need to dive back in. Things are going well so far. I'd had a lot of what I refer to as "condolence carbs" over the last 2 weeks, so yesterday was pretty headachy and low energy.

This is my second round of Whole30. I completed round 1 in January, and am looking forward to completing another one. I'm concerned about timing -- with the restart I've done, these 30 days will include 2 out of town weekends and my birthday. But I know I can do it, and I know that I will feel much better by the end of Day 30 than I do right now!

I'm just starting day 3 and up until this morning things have gone really well. Right now the idea of eating anything is absolutely nauseating. For breakfast yesterday I struggle through a salad and some tuna. I'm having a hard time thinking of this meal as "Meal 1" and eating anything I would typically eat for lunch or dinner. 

What about making some vegetable-based soup (e.g., cauliflower, zucchini, winter squash), along with your protein and fat of choice?

Hey folks, glad to report that yesterday was another stellar day! I did eat some nuts but nowhere near what I did the previous day. I thought a bit about the underlying symptom that causes my emotional eating and figured out that it comes down to boredom or having an awesome day. I'm very much a go-go type of person, so anything that feels slow causes me to feel anxious or unproductive.

Also, I'm a fairly active person that works-out 6 times a week; right now I'm doing Les Miles Combat which range from 30-60 minutes a day. Any tips for folks who are doing HIIT during the Whole30?

Hope everyone kicks butt today!

Hey folks, glad to report that yesterday was another stellar day! I did eat some nuts but nowhere near what I did the previous day. I thought a bit about the underlying symptom that causes my emotional eating and figured out that it comes down to boredom or having an awesome day. I'm very much a go-go type of person, so anything that feels slow causes me to feel anxious or unproductive.

Also, I'm a fairly active person that works-out 6 times a week; right now I'm doing Les Miles Combat which range from 30-60 minutes a day. Any tips for folks who are doing HIIT during the Whole30?

Hope everyone kicks butt today!

Are you including a post and/or pre WO meal?

The recommendation for preWO is a lean protein & fat - think hard boiled egg, or something like a few bites of chicken & mayo or some olives.

The recommendation for postWO is for a lean protein & optional starchy carb. The favourite is chicken & sweet potato, but there are lots of options that work.

Avoid fruit pre or postWO, and avoid fat postWO as it slows down absorption of much needed nutrients to the muscles.

These are in addition to your three meals.............

@jmcbn   You know, I'm not hungry at all before my workouts and concerned I'd throw up. My workout is literally the first thing I do each morning (jump out of bed, change clothes, drive, workout). However, can you explain what you mean by fat? Most things on the Whole30 require some cooking oil to prepare like eggs, sweet potatoes. This morning post-wo - 1 Sunny-side egg/ Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary/ and a cup of strawberries with bananas. What do you think of that combo?

@jmcbn   You know, I'm not hungry at all before my workouts and concerned I'd throw up. My workout is literally the first thing I do each morning (jump out of bed, change clothes, drive, workout). However, can you explain what you mean by fat? Most things on the Whole30 require some cooking oil to prepare like eggs, sweet potatoes. This morning post-wo - 1 Sunny-side egg/ Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary/ and a cup of strawberries with bananas. What do you think of that combo?

If you prefer to train fasted that's fine - provided your first food is still eaten within an hour of wakening.

As I mentioned your pre/postWO meals would be in addition to your three meals so what most folk do is grab a few bites of chicken/fish (& optional starchy veg) as soon as they are done, then shower & change, then eat meal one.

What you ate for meal one today contained fruit which will have restored liver glycogen stores when you want to be restoring only muscle glycogen (the liver is the only organ that can process fructose), and the egg contained fat in the yolk. If that was your meal one I'd add that it wasn't NEARLY big enough - when eggs are the only source of protein in a meal a serving is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females - I imagine you can hold at least 4.

If you're having eggs postWO eat only the white - I often have my eggs soft-ish boiled then scoop out the yolk to eat preWO, and eat the yolk before hitting the showers postWO.

Thanks for the advice and tips! I didn't know that fruit would effect the livery differently post-workout, very interesting.

Would having roasted sweet potatoes postWO be okay? Also, I'll increase my egg consumption in the morning, perhaps do a veggie omelet of sorts.

Hi All,

Hope Day #3 is relatively easy for you and very well done on completing 2 previous days!

Started on Monday as well so I hope it's ok to join in.

Diet wise I've been eating mostly Paleo for some time but noticed wine and some "less healthy" foods or healthy ones (nuts) in way too large quantities creeping back so decided to clean up again this time using whole30 approach. The main goal for next 30 days (well technically 27.5) is to learn to eat breakfast instead of having numerous cups of coffee and ending up eating my first meal around noon, stop eating nuts like there is no tomorrow and end snacking on the sofa while binge watching box sets after dinner. So far so good :)

Off to the theatre this evening so getting used to the idea I won't have any wine tonight.

Have a good day there on the other side of the pond and a lovely afternoon here in the UK.

Magda

The first 2 days went well but I was extremely tired. I am eliminating coffee & caffeinated teas this time around so I think that is the cause. Today I feel a whole lot better. I made sure to drink enough water and get some extra sleep last night and I think that helped. The first week is usually the worst, but we're almost half way there! Hang in there! :D

Hey guys - yesterday I rocked it! Food was good/tasty except for one thing - I ate a lot of nuts (cashews, almonds) from a jar I bought a few days ago. I know the nuts were Whole30 compliant but I noticed that I was emotionally eating them, because it was well after 9pm. Any tips on how you curb your emotional eating?

I'm also an emotional eater.  A trick I have found that helps me is to always keep water handy.  Any time I'm feeling 'snacky', I drink a good amount of water, and that will typically help curb the desire to put anything else in my mouth.  Granted, this doesn't help all of the time, but it's helped me quite a bit!  Good luck and keep up the good work!

Day 3 and feeling great!  Meal planning and prep over the weekend definitely helped keep things as easy as possible.  We made a frittata on Sunday that will provide breakfast all week.  Eggs, spinach, shredded brussel sprouts, onions, green and red peppers, and mushrooms.  Very hearty, and keeps me full for hours, so it really helps eliminate the want to snack mid morning.  I've been keeping my Nalgene water bottle (32oz) at my desk, and make it a point to drink at least 4 full bottles (128oz) each day.  Last night, we made taco salad for dinner.  Very simple and easy meal with plenty left over for lunch today.  1.5 lbs ground beef, 1 large onion, cumin, chili powder, ground pepper (sorry, no measurements on the spices...my grandma taught me to cook, so you just cook to taste!), and about a cup of homemade salsa....topped with homemade guacamole (all compliant ingredients), over a bed of lettuce.  Very satisfying :)  Brussel sprouts and (compliant) bacon is also a good, quick meal.  We usually throw in some mushrooms and onion to get more veggies, but this is one of our 'go to' quick meals, because let's be honest, we don't all have a ton of time when we get home from a busy day at work!

I am definitely starting the 'hangover' process, however, it's important to remember it's temporary, and the way we'll all feel afterwards is SO worth it!

I hope everyone has a great day :)

I'm in. I started on the 20th but what's one day between friends....

I'm here because I'm an addict. I'm addicted to sugar, coffee and red wine and it's time to kick them to the curb.

There's always been the excuse...I'm exhausted, I'm nervous, my life is soooo different that no one can possibly understand. I'm traversing the globe between foreign countries 4 days a week, I sleep odd hours, I hold everything up everywhere including home and kids....blah blah blah. And so I keep failing.

I'm so tired of being tired. Living my life from nap to nap. Letting the sugar monster be in control and looking for a "fix" because I deserved it cuz my life is so "hard". Always being a little chunky even though I work out like a phen. Never quite being on top of it.

That stops now ( or technically last Sunday). No excuses. No quitting. I'm a big girl. I fly big airplanes and I can certainly navigate this.

Feeling great today after 2 days of hangover. Energy back and optimistic especially after reading the forum on how people are feeling day to day. Gives me hope I can power through the rough spots to come. I feel day 10 or so will be my big test. I never seem to make it past this point.

Heading back to the mainland tonight on the all nighter. The morning will be my first big test of will power.

Power through all!! I've had kids. I've made it through the adversity and uncertainty of the my cyclical industry. It's only 30 days. This can NOT be that hard. Seriously.

Ciao.

Hey Everybody!

End of day 3 here in Texas. Feel good! Slept 9.5 hours last night without waking up during the night (unusual for me). Haven't had a headache or any major cravings, but doing my best to stay out of the way of temptation (pinterest, grocery store isles, gas stations). I made some "egg muffins" last night. Spinach, "perfect sausage" from the whole30 book, and eggs, poured into a muffin tin and baked for 30(ish) minutes on 350. Delicious and easy to have in the morning!

Just think, 10% of the way there!

You can reply to a specific post by quoting it just as I have... (You can also do this with multiple posts using the multiquote function - just click on multiquote on all the posts you wish to reply to, and you can highlight in bold the part that's relevant, or delete some text leaving only the part your reply is to...)

Regarding your almond milk, if it's just for adding to coffee/tea then it;s fine (& MUCH better) to make your own, just don;t drink it as you would cow's milk for instance.

As far as a 'treat' goes we're really trying to get away from the mindset of using food as a reward - so, again, if you want almond milk in your tea or coffee that's fine. If you want a 'treat' buy a glossy magazine, a new nail polish, or a kitchen gadget or something - anything that's not to do with food.

Check out my quoting! Go me! Thanks for the help.

So that's a yes on the "too feeble" then! Fair cop. I do get it I was just thinking it's better to keep on the plan whatever that takes at dire times. It's an eye opener already about using food as a reward/comfort and scary to note how much of my day and happiness revolves around food. And it's only day 4!

Can I ask what you eat for breakfast? I'm finding that the hardest meal and reading some other posts I'm not alone. There doesn't seem to be a grab and go option. I was on a course at stupid o'clock on day 2 so packed a fresh fig, some olives and some almonds. How does that rate? No veg............

I'm just starting day 3 and up until this morning things have gone really well. Right now the idea of eating anything is absolutely nauseating. For breakfast yesterday I struggle through a salad and some tuna. I'm having a hard time thinking of this meal as "Meal 1" and eating anything I would typically eat for lunch or dinner. Last night I made breakfast sausage but the idea of eating those is even making me feel sick. The simple solution would be to eat eggs for breakfast every day but unfortunately I'm allergic. I think I'll just wait it out and hope the nausea passes.

Good luck with day 3 everyone!! We've got this!

I'm with you on the nausea RE! Struggled to face a beef pot roast I'd made for last night and this am.........eughhhhh. Read somewhere in the book it Cd be to do with wonky hormones. I've found I CAN face baked sweet potato. Had with with ghee, grilled peppers and.......cos you need protein....a fried egg - with a struggle. I know you can't ( that's a challenge) but cd substitute ham or something. Let's hope this will pass. Have a good day and press on. 10% done!

Hey Everybody!

. I made some "egg muffins" last night. Spinach, "perfect sausage" from the whole30 book, and eggs, poured into a muffin tin and baked for 30(ish) minutes on 350. Delicious and easy to have in the morning!

Just think, 10% of the way there!

Now they sound grab and go AND awesome! Recipe please! Do they keep you going?

Have a great day

Archived