Starting mon 21 September. Anybody in?

britgirl

Can I ask what you eat for breakfast? I'm finding that the hardest meal and reading some other posts I'm not alone. There doesn't seem to be a grab and go option. I was on a course at stupid o'clock on day 2 so packed a fresh fig, some olives and some almonds. How does that rate? No veg............

Not too good I'm afraid - fruit, fat & more fat... you want to be building your meals according to the meal template - with 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimum), and a good serving of a healthy fat. Nuts are a fat source on Whole30.

The best approach is to stop thinking in terms of traditional breakfasts and start thinking in terms of meals one, two & three - anything you can eat at meal three can also be eaten at meal one.

Many people struggle with veg in the mornings so you;re not alone - some good ways of getting it all in are blended soups with some portable protein (like meatballs or chicken drumsticks) on the side. Other people fair better with something like a korma as the flavour is sweet & mild.

Grab & go options would be things like lettuce/romaine wraps filled with tuna/chicken salad with cherry tomatoes & cucumber mixed in with your home-made mayo, egg/veg/meat muffins, or a egg/veg/meat frittata which can be cooked in advance & sliced into wedges - pretty good warm or cold...

I don't have a problem with eggs so this morning I had 3 eggs scrambled with ghee, a few slices of smoked salmon, 5 ailsa craig (a very good local variety) tomatoes, some dill pickle & a handful of olives. Other days I'll have slow cooked shin with braised kale & courgette, or just a helping of whatever protein & side I feel like that day - I rarely cook recipes, and prefer to prepare larger batches of say oven roasted root veg, braised greens, a whole chicken, a pork shoulder & some beef brisket then mix & match as I go along subbing in salads & tinned or fresh fish & eggs when the feeling takes me....

Take a look at >this thread< for some breakfast inspiration...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now they sound grab and go AND awesome! Recipe please! Do they keep you going?

Have a great day

With the muffins or frittata just be sure you're getting enough protein - remember that if there is no meat in them then eggs are the only source of protein you a serving should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand which is 3-4 for most females.... That could be two or three muffins.

If your frittata is to last 4 days then it should have around 12 eggs in there alongside all the veg!

Hey! There are some great ideas and thoughts going on this thread!

@flygrrl - Wow! That is one motivational post, and a great attitude to have. I might need to review that for myself (minus the part about the flying big planes!) on a rough day. :)

@allyson - Seriously, Pinterest is the WORST. I love to bake but never do anymore, because it's just too tempting.

@mezito - Hmmmm, I'm an emotional eater, too, but it sounds as though you weren't eating those nuts out of any emotion but possibly boredom/habit (if wrong, I think the first step for you is to identify - for yourself - what the emotion is that you're dealing with). If it's boredom, I have different strategies to deal with that. I think the Whole30 guideline/recommendation of no snacking is a great place to start. Have a mini-template meal if you're truly hungry, but nothing "snacky." You might have heard this before, but after dinner, put a big sign - physical or imaginary! - on the kitchen that says "Kitchen Closed." Do not go back in that room. I have a whole routine that involves washing the dishes, setting the coffee maker for the next morning, and turing out the light. And I don't go back in the kitchen with any intention of eating again.

As for me, Day 3 continued the headache from Day 2. :( Blergh. I didn't have any hangover headache in Round 1, or in this month's earlier attempt at Round 2. I'm really hoping this doesn't crop back up today. I'm plenty hydrated and am not avoiding carbs, so I'm not sure what else to do. Of course, life in general is pretty high stress right now, so that could be it.

Have a good day, everyone!

Good Day #4! 

This is my first whole30.  Started down this path after having success after baby #2 doing a modified paleo situation but since then (and since "baby" is now two) I've very much enjoyed my wine and cheese and tortilla chips.  So this is a reset for me--energy for myself at work and at home, less reliance on wine to wind down the day, and no emotional/boredom eating.

I plan to reward myself every few days as suggested with something fun and non food--new earrings, nail polish, spiralizer, overpriced but classic and super soft fall t-shirts, etc.

Already a bit bored with the options since I need to make ahead often. But as I find tasty things I'll share and hope you all will too! (today's omelet with chicken, tomatoes and spinach was surprisingly tasty!).

Glad to have a community here!

I. Need. Sleep.

I've just posted this reply to someone in the same position in another thread..............

Take a magnesium supplement daily, include your starchy veg in meal three, avoid coffee after mid-day, start to 'wind down' AT LEAST an hour before bed (ie. no screen time) and dim the lights around the same time, ensure your bedroom is a little cooler than the day time temperature, get outdoors in the morning for AT LEAST 15 mins - and breathe.................. Stress is a big factor with sleep so if you're stressing try some kind of meditation or a relaxing activity such as colouring in.....

Hope this helps!

Hi All,

So great to know there are so many people out there taking time and making effort to become healthier, saner, happier and more content. Really happy to take part.

Day #4 is going very well. Here's what I've learnt so far:

Whole30 lesson #1 - breakfast is not so bad. I can eat it. If I feel better for it - too soon to say. Ideas for delicious breakfasts welcome - @Allyson_whole30 - egg muffins sound good!

Whole30 lesson #2 - I can survive on one cup of coffee/day. And I can have it after breakfast. As a matter of fact as long as I have a cup of hot drink I don't really care what is it. Today I had two cups of Yerba Mate (I actually love the taste)

Whole30 lesson #3 As it turns out drinking water instead of wine on a special ocasion is not as hard as anticipated and with right mindset it can be easily done.

@DCKate - Spiralizer is super cool. Get one if you can. So easy to use. In fact I had zoodles and spiraized carrots with bolognese sauce for lunch and it was delicious.

@ATL_Jen - I use "kitchen closed" technique as well and find it very helpful. Years ago when I was absolutely lost with my body's hunger and satiety cues I used to say out loud "I am full now and I had enough too eat" after a meal (when I was actally stisfied)  to help my brain register the fact that I have eaten and don't need more.

Off to get some groceries, cooking my favourite ox tail stew tomorrow (Hurrah) Goes so well with cauliflover mash. And there will be pan fried organic chicken liver with apples and onions on a bed of walnut and diced avocado salad for dinner tonight - glorious!

Keep making good choices x

Now they sound grab and go AND awesome! Recipe please! Do they keep you going?

Have a great day

They have been awesome! I made mine with 6 eggs and "perfect sausage" from the whole 30 book (using ground turkey). I also mixed in some spinach for fun :) I filled a muffin tin about halfway with the eggs and spooned in the ground sausage to make it nearly full. They baked at 350 for 25-30 minutes. When I make them next, I may mix in some coconut milk to make the eggs a little fluffier.

I have two in the morning with avocado and a heaping portion of sautéed shaved brussel sprouts. YUM!

@alt_jenny

I really like that mental image of the 'Kitchen Closed'. Also, I'm a bit of an addict when it comes to seeds and nuts; it's a vice ;) However, I think you're right about snacks being more of a habit than an emotion. Yesterday I didn't come home until 8:30pm and didn't eat anything. Prepared for the next day and went to bed shortly thereafter. I think, in general, I like to be busy and when I'm not - eating is maybe one of the ways to deal with that stillness feeling.

@newbie

When you mentioned water I immediately realized that I've not been drinking that much water lately. I need to keep my water bottle ready-to-go more often. I've heard that dehydration can make the body think it's hungry, when in reality you're just thirsty. Last night instead of picking up nuts, I drank a flavored sparkling water and felt satisfied and full. Thanks for the tip!

Day 3 went great! My dinner was a spicy salmon with avocado salad on top and asparagus spears as a side...delicious...here's the link: http://www.thecookierookie.com/salmon-with-avocado/

Day 4 has been unique in that I ate some tuna with homemade balsamic dressing preWO to experiment. I'm glad I did it, because I was pretty hungry this morning - a feeling that I rarely feel right after I wake up. Tonight I'm making the chili recipe from the book - any tips on how to improve it?

On day #4 today and feeling pretty good. I made a menu with recipes for the next week along with a grocery list - I don't usually plan much ahead so this will be challenging yet good for me.  I'm getting somewhat used to black coffee and because it's black- I've only been drinking one cup per day and drinking some Kombucha with lunch for my afternoon energy.  I have a tailgate party this weekend so I'm making Italian beef so I have a compliant protein option.  Great job everyone - keep up the healthy eating!!!

Tried left over chicken soup for breakfast and that was ok. Still plodding along, headache today so no bike ride. Do not notice any lack of energy, waiting for dr to call to advise on enzymes for recent gall bladder removal. It will help process the extra fats. Still having beautiful weather out here in Eugene, Oregon. If it holds up tomorrow I will hopefully be up for bike ride. Also glad for this community, I have gotten some good ideas here for meals and also comparing our struggles to keep on with this.

@flygrrl - have you ever tried guided relaxation apps? it's amazing how refreshed and reenergized you get after just 15-20 mins. It's like power nap with benefits. Of course if you have 15-20mins and you are not operating heavy machinery :)

Funny you should ask because I have been trying to get into meditation for literally years but, like yoga, just always fancied myself too high strung. I'm the proverbial bull in the China closet. I don't sit still well and I much prefer to lift heavy weights and HIIT around madly to relieve stress.

However, I made a plan and I am proud to say I am on day 9 of a meditation practice from Headspace and have also used yoga nidra numerous times to calm myself to sleep. If my flight is over 8 hours (always) I get one break to rest. If over 12( usually), I get two. The problem comes with trying to sleep on demand in what often is a noisy environment and I have found both to be helpful.

This morning I managed to commute home from work (3.5 hours by plane then car) without slipping and crawl in bed for a rest before kids got home. Normally I would have medicated with a creamy coffee and sweetener to get home then rummaged through the pantry to calm my exhaustion when all I really needed was to sleep.

Today was a really good day. I feel things changing. I just had to make up my mind to do it. Now it seems so easy. Weird.

Day 4 - yay!  Still plugging along!  Haven't posted, difficult to make time right now.  Would like to post more though.  Maybe soon.  Just wanted to let you all know I'm still here.  I read some of your great posts this morning, but still need to catch up.  Later!

Funny you should ask because I have been trying to get into meditation for literally years but, like yoga, just always fancied myself too high strung. I'm the proverbial bull in the China closet. I don't sit still well and I much prefer to lift heavy weights and HIIT around madly to relieve stress.

Check out Melissa Hartwig's video on YouTube, it's tilted something like Stress and cravings, why changing your food might not be enough.

I totally understand "don't sit still very well" and training preferances but it's so worth it to make space in your life for both. Headspace is a great start.

Enjoy your "still" time.

They have been awesome! I made mine with 6 eggs and "perfect sausage" from the whole 30 book (using ground turkey). I also mixed in some spinach for fun :) I filled a muffin tin about halfway with the eggs and spooned in the ground sausage to make it nearly full. They baked at 350 for 25-30 minutes. When I make them next, I may mix in some coconut milk to make the eggs a little fluffier.

I have two in the morning with avocado and a heaping portion of sautéed shaved brussel sprouts. YUM!

Brilliant thank you will try this weekend. Do you used fresh or cooked spinach?

I have to say you lost me a bit at the shaved sprout bit! I don't mind the taste (tho my kids are not fans. Hating brussel sprouts is a UK christmas tradition) but there's not much to shave! How you just not end up with bleeding stumps of fingers??

Day 3 and feeling great!  Meal planning and prep over the weekend definitely helped keep things as easy as possible.  We made a frittata on Sunday that will provide breakfast all week.  Eggs, spinach, shredded brussel sprouts, onions, green and red peppers, and mushrooms.  Very hearty, and keeps me full for hours, so it really helps eliminate the want to snack mid morning.  Brussel sprouts and (compliant) bacon is another quick meal

I hope everyone has a great day :)

I see you're another BS lover. You guys have to enlighten me on the finer points of brussel sprout shredding! Please!

Well end of day five (whoop whoop) but heading into first weekend including a church lunch ( including 27 home made puddings and an entire table of no brakes food.). Not sure I can handle it yet and have overly busy day tomorrow with early meeting and ferrying children so not much time to cook/freeze. Quite tough on my daughter too who has been a total star this week, making salads to take to school and trying all manor of unusual healthy snacks when she comes home instead of biscuits or sugary milky coffee.

Were both HUNGRY and I get quite hungry several hours after a meal which is unusual for me. I wondered if it's pot or sweet pot and raised insulin from that?? I'm not a great meat fan and had been low- carbing on and off for a while so eating cheese which fills me up and keeps me going. And not eating carby stuff like pot.

On the plus side - after a Thor's hammer day yday ( but no desire to Kill All the Things thankfully) my other daughter dragged me to a One Direction concert. I barely stayed awake on the way but once the boys came on it was fantabulouslay brilliant!!! Came home buzzing and full of beans ( tho not full of nuts as rotton venue confiscated my safe snack on the way in. Knickers) and have been singing and dancing all day. Only hope the neighbours havnt seen.

So if anyone's struggling with low energy...................

Have a great weekend all

So this is how this goes...

It's Friday night, hubby's not home yet and the kids are out doin' their thang and all I want is ONE FREAKIN' GLASS OF WINE.

I don't want to get drunk.  Just one glass.  I don't even know why I want it.  Maybe its because there are soooo many times I can NOT have one due to my work schedule and I defiantly just want one now.  I worked around the house all day.  Im tired and I was Perfect again today.  A perfect day.  

I feel great albeit tired but that could be because of all the flying I've done in the last 2 whirwind weeks.  

I'm struggling....

The voices say, oh you can have just one glass.

Um no you cant

No one will know

I'll know

yeah but you wont tell anyone!

Doesn't matter.  NO is NO

Nuts.  Ok.  No

Oh thank goodness....Hubby just got home....

So this is how this goes...

It's Friday night, hubby's not home yet and the kids are out doin' their thang and all I want is ONE FREAKIN' GLASS OF WINE.

I don't want to get drunk.  Just one glass.  I don't even know why I want it.  Maybe its because there are soooo many times I can NOT have one due to my work schedule and I defiantly just want one now.  I worked around the house all day.  Im tired and I was Perfect again today.  A perfect day.  

Oh thank goodness....Hubby just got home....

Just getting into this thread but I also started on September 21. Whoooo day 5!

I have realized that;

*I truly enjoy eating good food (which thankfully makes this easier for me)

*Work is a huge trigger. I only worked 4 days this week and was tempted with popcorn, pizza, snacks, donuts, candy and muffins(how is that even possible)

*support is everything to me, my honey has joined me

I love reading you guys stories. Keep up the great work everyone, we can do this.

Were both HUNGRY and I get quite hungry several hours after a meal which is unusual for me. I wondered if it's pot or sweet pot and raised insulin from that?? I'm not a great meat fan and had been low- carbing on and off for a while so eating cheese which fills me up and keeps me going. And not eating carby stuff like pot... Came home buzzing and full of beans

Are you building meals of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat to satiate you for 4-5 hours? There is no reason to go hungry on a Whole30.

Are you eating cheese now? Dairy is not permitted on a Whole30.

Also Whole30 is not low carb.

I'm confused by your "full of beans" comment - is that a figure of speech?

Archived