No energy during morning workouts. HELP!

Shea74

I'm on day 20 and I've experimented with different fat/protein combos but I still feel weak during my morning workout. I wake up at 5am, eat and get to the gym at 6am. Before I started whole30 my morning meal was muslce egg and oatmeal mixed. It was perfect. Has anyone felt this way? Do you add some sweet potatoes? I can't eat a lot at 5am but I need fuel.

What fat/protein combos have you tried? And how much of those are you eating? Is it only your morning sessions that suffer?

IIRC I've always thought your meals looked a little light on fat in general which cumulatively would have an increasing impact on your training... Protein gives the staying power, but fat provides the energy.

Can you post a few days worth of food/liquid intake - indicating portion sizes - along with sleep/stress activity levels so we can maybe suggest a few tweaks?

What fat/protein combos have you tried? And how much of those are you eating? Is it only your morning sessions that suffer?

IIRC I've always thought your meals looked a little light on fat in general which cumulatively would have an increasing impact on your training... Protein gives the staying power, but fat provides the energy.

Can you post a few days worth of food/liquid intake - indicating portion sizes - along with sleep/stress activity levels so we can maybe suggest a few tweaks?

I get that my pre-workout meal is light but it's 5am and hard to work myself up to eat a lot at that time. Usually I have a hardboiled egg. I don't want to eat chicken/tuna/salmon at that time. What if I added some homemade coconut almond butter to that? An eggwhite?

Okay this is kind of a quick "off the top of my head" meal list.

I get at least 7 hours of sleep a night and I aim for 8. I teach first grade so ya, my stress levels aren't great right now and the first month of school is always exhausting.

Pre-workout-hardboiled egg and coffee

Post workout-either hardboiled egg white and sweet potato or grilled chicken and sweet potato/pumpkin. I'm literally eating this in the shower.

M1-3 eggs of some sort with coconut milk mixed in, spinach, aidell's sausage and sometimes hashbrowns.

M2-I try to stick to the template. Usually a meat (chicken, hamburger, pork) over a vegetable and topped with homemade mayo if it's a salad. Allergic to avocados. Sometimes I add a small fruit to this meal. Clementine, half a banana, blueberries.

Dinner-Try to stick to template here also. I cook everything in coconut oil. Ghee kind of tastes weird to me now.

I eat early because of my work schedule so I'm usually hungry again around 7. I'll have a fat/protein, sometimes small fruit. I don't do this everyday. Or I'll snack on snap peas.

I drink at least 64 oz of water/tea a day.

I do a kettlebell/TRX/Tabata type workout 6 days a week for 50 minutes. If the weather permits, I road bike on Sundays.

It's hard to tell your portion sizes for anything other than breakfast because of the way you have listed your food.

A hard boiled egg is fine for preWO - if you can make it slightly soft boiled it's easier to digest - maybe you could stomach two? Or add that coconut almond butter... Many folk stick only to fat for preWO so maybe this is something you could try - it's one of the rare instances I'd advocate eating nut butter in any other way than including it in a recipe. Add sweet potato is not the way to go preWO...

My instinct tells me your meals aren't big enough, and that is in turn why you are hungry, why you sometimes feel the need to snack, and why you lack energy. Stick to the template at EVERY meal - those that do see far superior results.

How many palms of protein are you eating? How big is your salad? How many cups of veg? Is your plate FULL? You can pretty much ignore the coconut oil you are using to cook your meals & always add another source - I can't emphasize enough here that fat is your friend.

Try harder for that 8hrs of sleep- really - especially if you are stressed & exhausted - that will have a big impact on energy levels also, and tweak your schedule to add in a 4th mini meal if need be. Also, rest & recover - here's a good article you might like to read.

For PreWO I eat 2 hardboiled eggs with a dab of mayo on each half about 30 minutes before the workout and that gives me enough energy. I eat PostWO right after before I leave the gym, then have my template meal about 30-45 minutes after that. I do Crossfit 4 x week.

• Moderators

Don't underestimate the stress of the beginning of a new school year.

Besides the stress, how are you dealing with it? Increased caffeine intake, anything else different?

I'd make sure I ate a good sized portion of starchy carbs for Meal 3 - beets, butternut squash, or sweet potato. That's really more important for your morning workout.

I'm on day 3 so it's still early, but day 1 I had literally zero energy in my morning workout. I came to the forum and it was suggested I ate more fat (and no fruit) before my workouts. I've done this the past 2 days and its made a HUGE difference! I wasn't chewing my own arm by the end of my gym sessions :P so I would suggest you try to eat more fat preWO - more than you think you should. Then eat starches and lean protein postWO. I've been favouring cold squash and tuna. Easy and delicious! Good luck! 

• 1 month later...

And merely for the sake of a complete discussion on the topic, I'll mention that I usually work out in a fasted state. "What you're used to" is a factor. Pre-workout nutrition is definitely legit, but people usually aren't as glycogen-depleted as they think.

Archived