Whole30 for runners, hikers, cyclists and other endurance athletes

higs

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to start a thread for ongoing camaraderie, tip swapping and mutual support for athletes who are incorporating the Whole30 into our training plans and fitness objectives.  This isn't a thread for what to eat pre- and post-workout (see the "Whole30 for Athletes" forum of that).  It doesn't matter to me if you're starting a Whole30, midway through a W30, post W30 or just thinking about it.  I'm also using the term "athletes" very broadly: you don't need to be a super jock to join in.  I am a "re-beginner" runner after many years away from it, training for my first half marathon.  I am a slow runner looking to improve my overall fitness level and build endurance because, as my fitness has gotten better, I am finding the idea of trail running and ultras more and more appealing.  But first things first.  I've done several Whole30's and I'm ready to take things to a new level.  It would be way more fun to do my next Whole30 with a training focus and with a gang of y'all joining me for the ride.

Also, I love hiking, the outdoors, my menagerie of farm animals, cooking and listening to punk rock in the kitchen during my weekly cook ups.

Who's in?

Higs

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Higs - Hello again!!

I'm in. Well, in a week or so anyways as I'm currently nursing a prolapsed lumbar disc & no training allowed - nada - and it's KILLING me.... Can;t wait to see my physio on Saturday morning and hopefully get the go ahead to get back to it.

I reckon the likes of Brewer & Kirkor might be interested too along with a few of the newer folk.....................

I'm looking for a new challenge myself, having done the trail running & OCRs - but a 1/2 marathon *might* be in my sights - alongside my usual strength traning obviously, cos for me that's what really gets my adrenaline pumping!

I'd be interested!  Generally I consider myself a runner, but I've been sidelined with a broken foot for 4 months now. 1-2 more months to go before the Dr. will allow me to start running again. My first race is mid-January so I'm going to end up with a rather tight training window.  That race is a 10k on Saturday and a Half Marathon on Sunday so I have my work cut out for me.  As soon as I got cleared to do some activities beyond walking I've gotten back to Spin class to try and build up my cardio capacity. It's amazing how out of shape you can get in 3 months of couch-sitting!

I'm also a slow runner, even when fit and trained, so I hope by having to go through the whole base-building thing again I can work on my form and see some improvements.  I generally do a few half marathons a year- its my preferred distance. I figure if I need to get up at the crack of dawn it needs to be a long enough race to make it worthwhile :)  I like cycling, swimming and hiking as well and am intrigued by trail running (but not sure my knees will take it).  I've also done triathlons in the past and I'm sure there will be more in the future.

I've finished 2 whole30's and have been riding my own bike this month - so far so good. But I know tweaks will be needed as training ramps up so this thread couldn't be better timed!

I just started my second Whole30 today with my husband. I do Crossfit 4 x week & run 2 x week. Just completed a 14k a week ago. I used to do half-marathons but I burnt myself out on running so now I just run for fun. We are doing a second Whole30 because we felt so much better on the plan and my husband still needs to lose more weight, he is not as physically active as I am. I am changing things up a little by eliminating caffeinated coffee/tea to help with my sleep and will be trying combination foods during the reintroduction this time. I hope to improve my energy levels again and recovery times. As JenX mentioned, the timing of this thread is just about right. Good luck everyone! :D

I'm in too :) Competitive runner and recreational cyclist, training this season for a half marathon in November and a full in February with several shorter races thrown in there too. I'm not super speedy but do sometimes place or even win my age group in smaller local events. Currently completing my first Whole30. I was also very recently diagnosed with a lumbar disc injury, thankfully pretty minor, but it's definitely limiting my mileage at this point. Hopefully with PT I get back on track pretty quick.

Thanks for starting this thread!

I am psyched that the timing of this thread works well for you all.  Me, too!  When I think about the things that motivate me, right up there at the top is camaraderie.  

jmcbn and JenX: I know far too well how it is to be sidelined by injuries.  I hope you are both on the mend really, really soon and get right back in it.  You both started out from a really fit and healthy place by the sounds of it, so I bet you'll rebound quickly.  JenX, I actually took a trail running class last month and I loved it. I was terrified of spraining an ankle but we didn't do crazy technical trails.  It definitely worked different muscles, so it felt like good cross training.  And I'm lucky to live near enough to Portland, Oregon that I can run in Forest Park which has a huge network of trails all through the forest. The trails are gorgeous (and quite hilly).  They should keep me busy for awhile!  Trail running appeals to me a lot because I love hiking and backpacking, and why not combine all my favorite sports?  Also, I just read Born to Run, about the ultra running world and the Tarahumara Indians in Mexico - and it totally inspired me.

Kruddock: I just started another Whole30 today too -- including the quitting coffee part.  Ugh, caffeine withdrawal headaches.  I seriously debated whether or not to start another W30 now.  I have done several, and I worry I'm using it too much as a crutch and haven't been great about adapting what I've learned in an ongoing way.  But I decided to do one now because my half marathon is in 5 weeks, and I know that I will be feeling invincible by then - and what better way than to run a big race?

Saree_maree, just saw your post come in too!  Yay!  I hope your injury is on the mend soon, too.  You all are already inspiring me.  I've been thinking already about what is going to come after my half in October, and have my sights on another half in March -- and then sprinkle in a bunch of 10k's throughout because those tend to be good motivators.  But where I live, we're coming up on a time of year that means a lot of running in the dark and in the rain.  I definitely need a strong motivator to keep me going through the winter.

Thanks for joining me, everybody!

I really want to do this with all of you but there is no athlete within me.  At one point there was, but my boyfriend's illness has put everything on the backburner.  I was going to start a whole 30 yesterday but than I had a diet coke at the hospital.  Not sure how diet coke helps me deal with what is going on; water would serve the same purpose. I was doing great with whole 30+ until Steve entered the hospital 2 1/2 weeks ago.  His life/quality of life will always be in question but my ability to exercise and eat well should not be questionable.  I crave the whole 30 and I crave stability.  I feel so lost and empty right now.  I need something to keep me grounded. 

I know HIggs is starting today.  When are the rest of you starting?  Not sure when I should start - well, today would be fine.  However, I do eat some meals at the hospital (always order whole 30 type meals - chicken, baked potato, veggie - but I can't be certain they are 100% whole 30).  Steve will probably be in the hospital another week and will then be moved to another facility.

Hope it's okay if my exercise is limited - maybe just  walking  or body weight exercises.

I'd love to join in once I speak to my rheumatologist on Monday (I've had arthritis for 31 years but it's been bad in the last couple of months).

I would love to think I could run again (I did c25k at the start of this year and would love to do a race) but I'm not sure how that'll go down so it may be gentle ballet, pirates and some yoga with walks with my nature & science obsessed 7 year old for now.

Beats walking with a stick though which is where I was a fortnight ago...I'm not a natural born athlete in the true sense of the word!

I really want to do this with all of you but there is no athlete within me.  At one point there was, but my boyfriend's illness has put everything on the backburner.  I was going to start a whole 30 yesterday but than I had a diet coke at the hospital.  Not sure how diet coke helps me deal with what is going on; water would serve the same purpose. I was doing great with whole 30+ until Steve entered the hospital 2 1/2 weeks ago.  His life/quality of life will always be in question but my ability to exercise and eat well should not be questionable.  I crave the whole 30 and I crave stability.  I feel so lost and empty right now.  I need something to keep me grounded. 

I know HIggs is starting today.  When are the rest of you starting?  Not sure when I should start - well, today would be fine.  However, I do eat some meals at the hospital (always order whole 30 type meals - chicken, baked potato, veggie - but I can't be certain they are 100% whole 30).  Steve will probably be in the hospital another week and will then be moved to another facility.

Hope it's okay if my exercise is limited - maybe just  walking  or body weight exercises.

Laurie!  Huge hugs to you.  Absolutely join us!  With everything you and Steve have going on, I don't think you should ask yourself to stick to such a strict plan unless it is the best, gentlest, most loving kind of self care you need and deserve right now. But by all means jump in whenever and wherever you'd like, and ride along even if you're not on a Whole30.  I like the idea of you walking since you can take a break from the hospital and get some YOU time.

Hang in there, sister!

I'd love to join in once I speak to my rheumatologist on Monday (I've had arthritis for 31 years but it's been bad in the last couple of months).

I would love to think I could run again (I did c25k at the start of this year and would love to do a race) but I'm not sure how that'll go down so it may be gentle ballet, pirates and some yoga with walks with my nature & science obsessed 7 year old for now.

Beats walking with a stick though which is where I was a fortnight ago...I'm not a natural born athlete in the true sense of the word!

Yay!  Welcome, Britishgal.  Have you found the W30 is helping with your RA?  Congrats on giving up the stick.  You are a champion in my book.  Hooray for all the dedicated, persevering, inspiring folks here!

Me wither! Not by any stretch of the imagination!  I didn't start running (or even exercising with any regularity) until I was 39 year old.  I'll never be fast, or competitive, but I just love the energy of the races I participate in. And the medals they give you at the end! :D I'm all about the bling.

Keep us posted on your Rheumatologist apt - and walks w/ your boy fueling his love of nature and science...what could be a better way to get out there?

I walked to aldi and back today, the way back pulling a heavy trolley full of shopping so that was it for today. About a mile in all...not really that far at all.

I used to love to dance, I took salsa and jive lessons, did ballet and Pilates at home and do a mean Viennese waltz thanks to my Grandpa...plus I lived in Scotland for a decade so that means ceilidhs ;) . I also used to just walk for no reason other than to be outside. I hope to be able to return to those things.

I started running at 39 too because I'd been told for 30 years I couldn't. I used to say it was the one thing I knew I'd never be able to do. But I decided that wasn't good enough. After all they'd said I'd never walk again either. I have my c25k graduation badge so I can never say that again can I? ;)

Then I hit 40 and 2 months later my idling arthritis came back roaring.

I need to beat it again though. My son has big plans for a cabinet of curiosities...so I think he is itching to get out into our national trust park to find his objects...

Laurie, I think even exercising your mind (think meditation or the like) is going to be good for you right now - and as Higs has said walking is great therapy... Is there somewhere you can walk in the hospital grounds so you're not too far away from Steve when you don't want to be?

Don't be too hard on yourself food wise - do the best you can with what you've got - you know the score, and you've done it before with success, when the time is right you'll be right back on it again.

Technically I'm not on a Whole30 right now, but no-one would ever guess - jump on the back of my bike and I'll give you a 'backy'!  ;)  :P

Higs  and jmcbn - thanks for the support and kind words.  I don't know how I'm going to survive,  Every day Steve experiences another bump in the road.  He needed a transfusion yesterday.  We were also informed that he has graft vs. host of the liver again.  It is dangerous to keep treating him with prednisone and antirejection medications because these have created major complications. Next step - we are waiting for the insurance company to approve a treatment whereby his white blood cells are removed from his body, treated with medication and then returned to his body.  This has to be done several times a week.  The success rate is 50% - 75%. 

Yesterday was a whole 30 day but I might not start counting my days until Saturday or Monday.  I know that makes no sense since I plan on eating whole 30 every day. 

Today will be a Laurie day.  I have a therapist appointment and then haircut/highlights. Part of me wants to cancel everything and spend the day at the hospital with Steve but I know I need to follow through on my appointments.  Since Steve's parents flew in, I am trying to spend less time at the hospital.

Exercise - I need to get my body moving.  Steve is my inspiration and my hero.  He pushes through physical therapy with 9 broken bones in his back (plus lots of other medical problems).  If Steve can do it, than there is absolutely no reason for me not to exercise. 

Meadow - I know you are reading.  Why don't you join us on this tread so we can all be together.

I had a killer (in that it killed me, not in that it was awesome) run this morning with a friend who is also my sometime running coach: 2 mile warm up @ 8:30/mile, 4 mile steady state (7:10, 7:20, 7:30, 7:40 - exactly backwards from how I should have done it haha), and 2 miles cool down at @ 8:30. Woke up extra early so I could get a full Meal 1 in before the run - I need some carbs before that kind of effort. Post-workout was egg whites and a banana.

My friend is a very accomplished runner, has run Boston several times, and has coached high school track and cross country for years (although she's not coaching this year). So whenever I run with her she really pushes me! She's been helping me out a lot this season with my training plans although I never quite manage to get to the paces she prescribes. Oh well.

Laurie, I am sorry to hear about your partner. I am a critical care RN and I understand the challenges he is facing. Steroids and immunosuppresants are so brutal but unfortunately a necessary evil.

Laurie....I'm here for you.   I'm glad that you're here with Higs.  You're in good hands.   I'm going to let the two of you be my inspiration -  with your humility and gentleness of words.  I'll follow your lead.   Get your hair done today.  Kisses and hugs all around.   

Saree_maree, I just have to say, Holy sh*t!  That is a smokin' pace!  I would be lying on the side of the road in a puddle of my own drool after the second mile.

Me, I'm on day 3 hopefully pushing through the last of the caffeine withdrawal headache.  I ran 4.5 miles yesterday and didn't come NEAR an 8:30 pace -- but being an easy day for me I took it slloooowwww.  And while I was up running before dark, I was thinking about all the reasons running is awesome.  Yesterday, reason # 53, was seeing the pre-sunrise and the peaks of a couple mountains over a cloud bank.  The sky was grey-pink.  It was so still.  It is a perfect time of day.

What are all of your reasons for doing what you do?

Yesterday was a whole 30 day but I might not start counting my days until Saturday or Monday.  I know that makes no sense since I plan on eating whole 30 every day.

We feel for you. Don't worry about 30 consecutive days, just take it one day at a time. Taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do so you can be there for Steve. Prayers go out to you!

Yesterday was a lunchtime spin class - 50 minutes of pushing and a ton of sweat! because of my foot I can't do much of the standing work so I'm pushing up hills seated which is harder anyway IMO.  I'm starting to see cardiovascular improvement after 2 weeks of going consistently. I no longer feel like I'm going to puke. :blink:

this morning was pilates for runners (to strengthen all those little supporting muscles in your hips and butt) followed by a cardio-circuit type workout.

I'm not on a Whole 30 right now, but I eat fairly close to template and mostly compliant foods - I do use breakfast sausage that has added sugar at the moment, and add the occasional splash of cream in my coffee.

Laurie, hang in there and be kind to yourself. You can't care as well for others if you don't take care of yourself first. {{hugs}}

Saree_mare - I think the FASTEST mile I ever ran was an 8:40. Sheesh!  You blow me away!

Day 3 of my second Whole30. I felt really tired and sluggish the first 2 days but I feel a lot better today. I think it was due to no coffee or caffeinated tea, but no headache which is nice. I made sure I drank lots of water and went to bed earlier last night, so I think that helped. Going to Crossfit tonight so we'll see how it goes. Will be happy to see the end of this first week to see my energy levels stabilize.

Saree_mare, I am not a fast runner either, that time is something to be proud of!

I was once told that when I run I am like a slow motion film...elegant but I'd be faster walking ;)

I'm not on a whole30 either officially...trying to work out a way of riding my own bike (which I find harder than doing a whole30 it seems!!)

I walked about a mile today...not much but better than nothing!

I'm on day 4 along with kruddock.  I ran 6 hilly miles this morning and felt a little sluggish, but I got 'er done.  There's this great loop by my house with some pretty good hills.  I live in a rural area, and this is one of my favorite runs:  it starts where I live, which is mostly farm houses and some pasture land, goes along a more residential stretch (a gradual incline the whole way), cuts behind the fairgrounds then starts heading uphill.  As the road climbs, it twists and turns through a forest (careful here since there's not much shoulder) and heads up, up, up.  That's my favorite part.  Then finally it intersects with the top of my road, the crest of the hill, and then I have an easy last mile, all downhill.  I feel like Rocky by the time I get home!

Archived