Whole30 for runners, hikers, cyclists and other endurance athletes

higs

Hello All,

I just found this and hope its not too late to join in.   I am on Day 10 of my 1st Whole30 and surprisingly its a lot easier than I thought it would be.  Right now I'm struggling with not being HUNGRY like I use to be, so I forget to eat and then lunch is late and then dinner later.   Also sleeping has taken a turn to I don't sleep well at night. I'm just not TIRED like I use to be & nothing else has changed other than my eating.   Even though my Hubby isn't doing Whole30, I've shared quite a bit & he is reading labels.  He will has put things back or choose a different product after reading the label.   I must say, the amount of hidden sugar we eat daily was eye opening to me.  Know wonder I would loose weight, but not get healthy or feel better.

My Whole30 is connected to a gym I joined & right now I am working with a trainer to get me into a routine of getting stronger, especially in my core & a routine.   I'm NOT a runner, but I am a road biker.  A few years ago I was going strong and would ride 40-60 miles a week.  Unfortunately I let life get I my way and biking took a back burner.   I did ride in two 25 mile rides this past summer and LOVED IT.    I am slowly getting back to a routine of biking and looking forward to how Whole30 will help me out to go the distance.

I to concur that the timing of this could not have been better.  Thx Higs !!!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live on the coast, and also in a very mountainous area (think '...where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea....') so there are some fantastic routes for running, hiking & cycling. Can't wait to see the physio on Saturday to see what the prognosis is for my back - I normally train six days a week (a mixture of strength & cardio) so I'm starting to get Cabin fever having not been in the gym now for about 10 days. That said I know the rest is doing me good, and that my diet is preventing further inflammation so I'm on the right track...

Saturday was always my longest training session and my plan once I'm back to it is to do an early morning run - around 8k - (I like to be up & at it before the rest of the world, and that's when I do my best thinking...), quick re-fuel then follow up with a strength session.

I had been running at least 10k every Saturday this time last year but cut right back when the colder weather kicked in & haven't done much more than a few miles on a treadmill (which I detest!) since. I'd switched the running for a spin class since then, but for want of a better expression I like the 'freedom of the road' - I'm not fast, and my first mile is usually a struggle but I feel great once I get in the zone.

Fingers crossed the news is good on Saturday!

Scrappn_Mimi:  welcome!  Great to hear you're getting back on the bike!

jmcbn: I'll be thinking about you Saturday and crossing fingers for a good report from your physio.  The hills where you live sound amazing.  I've tried a bunch of times to join gyms, and I'm sure I'll try again (want to add spin classes to my routine at some point), but I vastly prefer being outdoors.  I have an exercise bike at home that is sheer torture boredom-wise.  I try reading, watching TV, listening to podcasts or music or whatever, but nothing makes it fun.  Outdoors, I never listen to music when I'm running.  Partly that's for safety reasons (no shoulders on our rural roads) but mostly it's because I want to hear the birds, and fully soak up the world around me.

Saree:  yeehaw!!  What is next for you then?  Are you doing the reintro protocols and sticking around here with us for awhile?  You must be feeling amazing!  Congrats!

The sunrise turned the whole sky an amazing orange color here this morning, then the rain started.  Today is a rest day for me so I'm sipping my bone broth and listening to the rain while writing to you fine people.  I'm on Day 5 now and I feel like I've broken through the first few days' brain fog.  Ahhhh, love this feeling.

My workplace holds these Better Body Challenges (BBC) 2 times during the year. The next one begins Monday Oct.5.  You pay $25 to enter but so long as you lose 5% (total combined bodyweight/body fat) you get your entrance fee back, plus you're eligible to win other prizes.  I've talked one friend into joining this with me as well as starting her 1st Whole 30 on Oct.1 so I'll be joining her and helping her along.  I could certainly stand to lose another 5% body fat!

So, long story short, I WILL be back on Whole 30 very shortly :)

...  I've tried a bunch of times to join gyms, and I'm sure I'll try again (want to add spin classes to my routine at some point), but I vastly prefer being outdoors.  I have an exercise bike at home that is sheer torture boredom-wise.  I try reading, watching TV, listening to podcasts or music or whatever, but nothing makes it fun.  

Yep - taking a structured class makes it much more exciting. I have a trainer for my road bike and a treadmill at home, but you'll never catch me on either unless its raining cats and dogs and I have a specific training need to meet I can't put off.

Yep - taking a structured class makes it much more exciting. I have a trainer for my road bike and a treadmill at home, but you'll never catch me on either unless its raining cats and dogs and I have a specific training need to meet I can't put off.

One of my friends has a neighbour who has one of those frames to turn his road bike into a static to use at home - they often see him sat on that thing for hours on end!! He does a lot of outdoor cycling - I mean he's in the local club and always doing road races - and the weather is mild enough here still that he could be out on the roads - I'd be bored as hell sat at home for hours on end on a static bike thinking of all the other things I could be doing.... That's why the structure of a spin class works for me - in, out, no mucking about, job done!! Provided it's a good instructor of course - I've often been known to be the odd one in the corner totally doing my own thing....  <_<

Saree - congrrats.  How do you feel?  Please share all your victories.   

You are all doing amazing with your exercise.  I would love to get back into running.  It's been so long.  I am very slow but I'm fine with that.  When and (if) I start up again, it will be on a treadmill rotating walking and jogging.  I worked out the last 2 days - squats, lunges, planks, etc - some with light weights and some bodyweight..  I look fine but I am out of shape.  I brought my lunch to the hospital the last few days so food has been 100% compliant but my portion sizes have been too big in the evenings so I'm not counting my days just yet.  I'll make Monday my "official" day 1.

Thanks people! I do feel great physically (apart from this g-d lingering back pain!) although the last week or so has been an emotional rollercoaster what with my grandmother dying and then getting home and immediately finding out that my dog has cancer :( . But I never once thought of turning to food or alcohol to comfort myself, so at least there's that!

I wrote about my Whole30 in the success story forum, so I won't rehash it again here, but here's a link if you care to read it: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/31418-my-first-whole30/

Today is my birthday, and I'm up at my usual Saturday morning ungodly hour for a 12 mile run, then hopefully can convince my boyfriend (and the weather) to take a 15 mile ride with me afterwards. I did two hard speed workouts this week, the one I mentioned earlier and then some 400m and 200m intervals the very next day, so my plan today is to take it nice and slow, no faster than 9:00/mile. I stayed 100% compliant yesterday, but I'm really looking forward to a glass of wine with lunch and maybe a cocktail with my (otherwise compliant) birthday dinner tonight!

Have a great Saturday, everybody!

Happy Birthday Saree_maree - I hope there's been *some* rest & relaxation throughout the day as you deserve it after the week you've had...

So the physio has said the prolapsed disc is looking good but that my problem is the hypermobility in my spine/pelvis/hips which I've known about since my days as a gymnast - it was pretty helpful back then, but with age, and general wear & tear I need to pay more attention to the core to better support my spine. So I've a week of some strengthening exercises for my lower back to do at least four times a day, then next week we'll focus on the core & then I can start back to spin, alongside pilates & some general strengthening exercises with a PT. As little sitting, and as much walking as possible until then...

Happy birthday, Saree!  Thanks for sharing your success story - wow.  You have so much to celebrate!  Way to go.  But I am so, so sorry about your dog.  They are our family members, and seeing them not feeling good is so hard.  I hope your pup is well pampered and pain free -- I'm sure he/she is getting lots of loving from you!

jmcbn, one step at a time, right?  It sounds like good news but boy has it got to be hard to take things so slowly.  It will be worth it.  Do you use a standing workstation?  I got a sit/stand workstation at work (actually had a doctor write me a prescription for one) and I think it has really helped.  Without it, I would be sitting over 12 hours a day between my job and my long commute.  I am certain that sitting that much was part of the cause of the host of injuries I was sidelined with over the last few years.  My work station is an attachment on my desk that I can easily raise and lower throughout the day.  I love it.

For me today, an easy 3 mile recovery run.  I'm going to get in the garden and try to find the last of the veggies underneath all the weeds...

My laptop at home is at a standing height, and I rarely sit at home anyways... My commute is short, but my workstation at the office is seated - that said I'm up & down from my desk a lot throughout the day & make a point of walking the block (at least the small one, but the big one when the weather is good) during lunch every day.

My hips sit slightly to the right due to the scoliosis, so I just have to be super aware when I'm standing to not put all my weight on my right leg as I'm inclined to do - our bodies have a way of allowing muscles to sub-consciously over compensate for weaknesses, which in my case has meant that the glute on the left & the lower back muscles on the right need a little push to actually fire up - I need to CONSCIOUSLY try & put all my weight on my left hip when I'm standing which will help balance things out apparently. This should also stop my left trap trying to hold everything higher up in place too. Lots to think about and that's me coming into this from a good place! Can you imagine how I'd be if I hadn't been training all these years...?

Honestly, to anyone not in the know you'd never notice, but to someone in the physio/PT field it seems to jump out at them right away.

Anyway, I'm just so relieved that it's fixable, and in an uninvasive way - I was in SO much pain two Sunday's ago that I was really concerned.

Now to wean off the diazepam!!  :wacko:

Yesterday was a rest day for me. Last week's total was 4 spin classes, 2 body weight circuit classes, and one round of Pliates. I'm starting to get my groove back!

I'll take the dog for a walk and a trip to the dog park today. She's been cooped up the last 3 weeks as she had to have a growth removed from her back foot. Bandages and stitches are finally gone and she's raring to go! She's only 2 and very active (used to running with me 10-15 miles a week) so the confinement has been driving us both crazy.

Happy belated birthday Saree! And my condolences on the loss of your grandmother and the news on your dog. I'm so sorry!

Jmcbn - I stand with all my weight in my right leg too. My left chain is always a mess - I have a bone spur in my left heel, have had cartilage surgery on my left knee, and that hip is definitely weakest. Hope your exercises go well, and I'm glad you got PT as your Rx instead of a surgical recommendation. You'll be back at it in no time.

My foot is feeling really well so I'm going to make an appointment for 4 months post-break and get another ex-Ray. I want to start running again as soon as possible. I miss getting outdoors with the sunrise, listening to the birds.

Great job, Higs! A double-digit run is always something to be proud of! And Jen, sounds like you had an awesome week!

As for me, I took the day off, apart from a long walk on the beach. My back was sore after yesterday's long run and I was frankly lacking much in the way of motivation after my alcohol reintroduction last night (totally worth it, by the way!).

Thanks for the birthday wishes and for the condolences, everybody.

Hi everybody!

I'm thrilled that you started this thread Higs. I'd *love* to say I was busting out some moves but I feel like I've been in a holding pattern for the past year. Stalled and stuck somewhere between the couch and the gym. One foot in each realm.

There's been a lot of changes over the past year and things still haven't quite felt settled. But more notably, the part of me that was/is mentally fierce...seems to be napping. I still do all those things I physically love (run, climb, lift) but dialed down (in intensity). Though, I did a 10-mile hike last week and was relieved it didn't crush me. And then I tweaked my ankle helping to unpack some camping gear out of the car. Argggh. So no running for me for a while until my ankle is 100%.

Higs - I gotta smile when I think of you embracing the good all the way to the finish line. So proud of you for lacing up for another race.

Here's to the start of a great week ladies!

Yay evaq!  I'm so glad you're joining us!  I remember you've had a LOT going on this year.  I am impressed you're sticking with it and I think that dialing down the intensity makes a lot of sense.  We can only do so much, right?  Also - I am sure that your mentally fierce badass part is enjoying its little snooze and will be  back soon, refreshed and ready to conquer.  And you can rest your ankle in the meantime.

I woke up this morning feeling a cold coming on. I haven't had a cold in ages but I think sitting up late on a cold, windy hillside watching the lunar eclipse (so cool!) might have knocked me down a peg when my body was already tired for a long run.  Or maybe my run yesterday kicked my ass so hard because I had a cold coming on?  Anyway, thawing bone broth, drinking tea, downing some zinc and taking it easy is the plan for today.

JenX, glad your groove is coming back!  Hopefully you'll be hitting the trails in no time.

Happy Monday, everyone!

Higs a litle bit of rest and TLC today will let you know if it's really cold or just a lunar hangover. Either way, taking care of yourself is always a good idea. :)

Saree_maree you may have some superhero DNA in your bloodlines. Please check your family scrapbooks. I don't know how else to explain your ability to roll out of bed while still dark and cracking out a TEMPO run at 5:30 AM. Also, belated bday high fives!

Today was a visit to the dentist for me (fractured molar) - a different kind of endurance. Hoping to rest up and do some lifting tomorrow. :)

Sidelined this morning with a sore throat, dang it.  Bone broth and tea for me…  But, I'm glad to get this out of the way now.  I'd hate to be sick the week before my half!  I'm trying not to worry about missing training time but I'm nearing my peak mileage before tapering.  I know I'll be fine, but, grrrr.

Don't worry, Higs. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, but try not to put too much stock in the training plan. Better to get to the starting line slightly undertrained then even the least bit overtrained. One or two extra rest days will have zero impact on your race performance!

I had a really great run this morning. 8 miles at 8:30 pace. One of those runs where you just feel weightless, with extreme mental clarity. Unfortunately my back and hip are bothering me a little bit now and I'm limping slightly ... Dare I say it was worth it??

Evaq, hope you lift strong today!

Sidelined this morning with a sore throat, dang it.  Bone broth and tea for me…  But, I'm glad to get this out of the way now.  I'd hate to be sick the week before my half!  I'm trying not to worry about missing training time but I'm nearing my peak mileage before tapering.  I know I'll be fine, but, grrrr.

Better to be sick now than during. Rest up, heal quickly, feel better!  

Spin class yesterday morning followed by a toning class. Sadly I'll have to miss today's spin class as I have errands I must run at lunch. I did take the dog out for a quick walk this morning though, so I got a bit of activity in. Mentally I'm gearing up to start my 3rd Whole 30 on Oct 1...that seems to mean eating a few things that are not routinely in my diet anymore (hello, cheese, I'm talking to you). I always get this  "have to get it out of my system" reaction when I start. It's so silly. Especially when it is food I don't eat all the time anymore.  Oh well - only a few more days to go.

Saree - I miss running so much, but even that much more when you describe how your morning run went! those feelings of weightless and having extreme mental clarity.  I can't wait to get back into it again!

Evaq - good luck at the dentist.

Archived