Whole30 for runners, hikers, cyclists and other endurance athletes

higs

higs, you've got a lot of capital in your mileage bank. :) Trust it. As Saree said, a few days off won't do anything but allow you to kick your illness. It's know how hard it can be mentally to skip or miss a training run, because you fear that you'll somehow be derailed. But that's not going to happen. A few days rest isn't going to mess you up. Overtraining and not letting yourself heal on the other hand...well, let's just say I have first-hand experience on 20/20 hindsight. I hope you sleep lots and feel better soon.

Saree, congratulations on being in the zone this morning. Those elusive runs when everything just clicks and feels light are so elusive. Fall is my favourite season to run and I can't wait to try getting outside in the early morning.

JenX, I totally get having a bon voyage fling-type attitude towards certain foods. Cheese! Chocolate! Bread! Somehow knowing that something will be off-limits suddenly makes you crave it. I'm the same way - even when I'm clearing out and purging clothes and memorabilia. I want to keep it only *after* the threat of giving it away. Meanwhile, I haven't touched or thought about the item for years. :)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the words of wisdom, you guys.  I took the day off work and lounged (well, caught up on a lot of work email, but I did get a good nap in), drank a lot of bone broth and tea.  Weird thing with this cold:  I was HUNGRY all day.  Finally sated after eating a pile of sweet potatoes.  The other thing that happened today is I got a little bored, which resulted in an online shopping spree.  Danger, Will Robinson.  I did actually need a rain jacket for running so I got that, and my dog does need an upgrade on his dog bed to an orthopedic version for his hips so I got that, too - but did I need the other stuff?  Binge shopping can be good therapy, I guess, but ugh, I'll be paying for that little flurry for awhile.  At least I stayed away from Zappos.

Saree, your run sounds SOOO worth it!  I love runs like that.

Jen, I know exactly what you mean about those pre-Whole30 hoo ha's.  Crazy stuff like Kraft mac and cheese and other weird processed food.  It's like I have to remind myself how gross I feel after eating it so that I'm extra inspired to clean things up.

And the kicker is, the person I was going to do this Whole 30 with, purely to support her, has dropped out on me. Now I've had my bon voyage "treats" for no reason. LOL!  Well, I do still have the BBC starting Monday at work so I guess those "treats" apply to that fresh start.   I did think about going forward without her, but honestly my heart isn't in it right now. I was pretty much going through the motions without true motivation and I don't feel that's the right mentality.  I'm going to be strictly Whole30'ish instead and concentrate on bringing up my fitness.

Higs..is it feed a cold, starve a fever? Or the other way round? In your case I guess we know.  :)

Evaq - bon voyage fling. PERFECT!  I already stole part of that above as you'll see, but that is the perfect explanatory term for it. Its not a binge, it's not out of control or over the top amounts. Its a fling! Just a taste before we say goodbye again. Ha!

Well, pre-workout HB egg & coffee w/ coconut milk on board. It's almost time for class. Have a great day everyone!

Took some baby steps with my ankle today. I did a 30 min incline walk on the treadmill (modest 3.5 pace but 6.0 inclne) and my ankle still feels fine. Yay!!! If I continue getting no other feedback, I'll try to do a short outdoor run this weekend. Fingers crossed. I have to do legs and lower body (lifting) tomorrow so we'll see how the ankle feels after I'm done loading it.

JenX, FWIW, I think you're making the right call. Following someone else's lead or going through the motions is never a good start to anything. When/if the time is right and the decision is 100% you, then it'll be right. Hope you had a good workout. :)

Hope you're resting up and feel better soon higs!

Still following along but not contributing much because I'm awaiting the go ahead from my physio on Saturday to get back to it - that said we have to book classes a week in advance so I took the liberty of booking my spin 'come-back' for Wednesday of next week. I'd have gone with a Sunday morning class except that I'm entertaining on Saturday and where I'd usually be getting up to take my son to gymnastics training he has a day off this week, so we're opting for a rare lie-in.

Once I'm back on Wednesday I'll speak with my trainer to get a program put together and then hopefully that will be back up & running - albeit at a slow pace to start.

Can't wait!!

I had a Whole30-compliant day today after my legume reintroduction yesterday, which went well (no reactions). Double workout - 3 miles easy this morning, and a speed workout this evening (5 x 600m @ 7:00 pace with 2 minute recovery), plus 1 mile warm-up and 1 mile cool-down.

And then I have some exciting news - the head coach of the training group I run with asked me if I was interested in racing on the team sponsored by the local running store he owns! Free race entry, free shoes - I just have to wear a shirt with the store's name on it and agree to appear in publicity (and hopefully win some races, haha).

It can't be a coincidence that I am running better than ever after having cleaned up my eating, right?

Congratulations jmcbn and Saree! Your mojo and positivity are infectious. Pretty hard not to be inspired. High fives!

I woke up and realised that my ankle/foot was tender - not injured or sharply ouchy - but I was aware of it in a way that you never think about when you're healthy. Which means my plans for a short run this weekend are probably benched. I need to let my ankle heal more. Waah. So I did a lightened lower body workout this afternoon but stayed away from any single leg balance stuff.

Climbing tomorrow!

I had a Whole30-compliant day today after my legume reintroduction yesterday, which went well (no reactions). Double workout - 3 miles easy this morning, and a speed workout this evening (5 x 600m @ 7:00 pace with 2 minute recovery), plus 1 mile warm-up and 1 mile cool-down.

And then I have some exciting news - the head coach of the training group I run with asked me if I was interested in racing on the team sponsored by the local running store he owns! Free race entry, free shoes - I just have to wear a shirt with the store's name on it and agree to appear in publicity (and hopefully win some races, haha).

It can't be a coincidence that I am running better than ever after having cleaned up my eating, right?

Great news!! Well done you!!!

And free shoes.....!!!  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Wow, Saree!!  Woo hoo!  Congrats!! - and what fun!!!!!

jmcbn and evaq, you'll be back at it before you know it.  You both sound so motivated!

Me, well, still sidelined.  I was hoping for my come back easy run this morning, but I still feel a bit congested and didn't sleep well last night so I decided to give it one more day of rest.  I'm downing bone broth and zinc like a champ, along with tons of fluid and good rest.  This bug lasted a few days though and that's a bummer… longer than I'd like for sure.

This weekend there is a big expo in town for the Portland marathon, so I'm going to go with a friend and check out all the vendors and swag, watch the marathon finish and come home inspired!

14 miles @ 8:15/mile at 6 o'clock this morning with my coach. The weather is finally a little cooler down here. And since today is my non-gluten grains reintro, I went ahead and had a Gu at mile 6 (contains maltodextrin from corn) - and man, I gotta say, that rocket fuel makes a difference. Gotta be careful not to get too reliant on it! Maybe just save it for race-level efforts in the future.

I also had certified gluten-free oats with some melted coconut oil pre-run. Oatmeal was always my go-to pre-long run meal prior to Whole30. It sat well, no reaction, and I ran strong with no GI distress. But I wouldn't say it was any BETTER than a sweet potato, so might as well stay compliant at least most of the time, right?

I'll admit I'm a little confused about reintroduction. If I don't have reactions to foods, is it okay to eat them again? I'm talking about whole foods - oats, rice, beans, full-fat organic dairy, occasional wine - not processed garbage. I don't ever want to eat that stuff again if I can help it.

Saree, for your reintros, it's up to you about what you want to reincorporate.  It's about coming up with your own template about what to include because it makes you feel good, what you you might want to allow in just sometimes, and what your body tells you to kick to the curb.  I have to admit that I have not yet successfully landed my template.  For me, the bad stuff finds its way to creep back in.  I'm not too good at moderation.

And speaking of moderation, I have an embarrassing confession:  I'm a slow runner but I'm a very competitive person.  I'm running this race in three weeks with my little sister and a few friends.  Of the five of us, I'm the only one who hasn't run a 1/2. But already I have a goal time I want to beat, which is to beat my sister's time from last year. I watched her finish last year; I was so excited for her and she did really great!  She is a cancer survivor, and she trained the year after she finished chemo.  But besides being excited for her, I also had this feeling of jealousy since I was the runner when we were kids, and that was supposed to be me finishing the race if not sidelined by injuries.  She was the gymnast and ice skater.  So running has felt like "my thing."  And I know her finish time is probably within my reach based on my 10k times.  BUT I've been trying to talk myself for the last few weeks into making this NOT a competitive race.  Just finish!  Have fun!  Quit worrying about my time and whether or not I beat her!  Enjoy the spectacular scenery, stop for selfies, use a PortyPotty - who cares?!  Maybe we'll finish together, which would rock.  I am TRYING to get there mentally, and I think this cold still kicking my butt may be nudging me further in that direction.  But it's hard.  I really want to beat my sister in this run, and I'm so embarrassed to admit that.

I already have my next 1/2 marathon scoped out for March, and I'm telling myself I can race that one and totally get a PR then.

I'm loaded to the gills with sisters, cousins and aunts.   I'm not competitive at all.   I would let all of them win just to see them smile.   In fact, I would drop out of the race and run along the sidelines...just to make them smile or rally them on.

There's always another streetcar coming around the corner.  Grandmaw's wisdom.  There will me more races to run and another football game on the telly next week.  Apply yourself and you can be anything you want to be.  You've always been 100% authentic, genuine and REAL.  Hang tough!  I'm rooting for both of you to make it across the FINISH LINE together. top-points-smiley.gif?1292867690

Full disclosure.  I was a cheerleader all through school.  cheerleader1-smiley.gif?1292867567I can't tell you anything about football because I've never paid any attention to it.  I didn't then and I don't now.  I only wanted to watch the people in the stands for their expressions.   I played in the band, too. I'm not competitive but someone needs to be.  Higs, you've made enormous strides this past year.  Enjoy your new endurance and every race you enter is the BIG WIN.  Do it again.  WIN one for yourself. 

Higs, I think it took a lot of courage to write that, and I don't think it's embarrassing at all. Isn't it funny how sometimes it's easier to admit things about ourselves to strangers on the Internet than it is to to people close to us? At least, I know that's been true for me several times on this forum!

Run your own race, and you'll win it every time. You're going to finish strong.

Higs.   Indulge me one more.

Growing up in school can often end up being all about a popularity contest.   The cool kids.  The athletes.  I didn't care about being a popular kid.  My favorite part of being a cheerleader was the out-of-town games.   We always went to some small town and there was a a Maw N Paw restaurant in every small berg, U.S.A.   I lurved those hometown specials.   Remember them?

There was homemade soup and salad, the main entree with a homemade dinner roll, drink and dessert.  It was the full package with butter on the table.   No margarine.  It was the first time I'd ever tasted homemade bleu cheese and thousand island dressing.  The salads were always a wedge of iceberg with a tomato slice, few shreds of carrot and purple cabbage.    Everything was so delicious and we did not go through a fast food joint drive-thru.

That was the best part...it was a Compadre Tour.   The boys would have to act all mopey if they lost a game to please the coach.  I wasn't sad but just happy to be along for the tour. What's to be sad about? There's another game next week.  Might as well enjoy the ride.big-smile2-smiley.gif?1292867555

Higs, I feel your pain.... my sister is also a cancer survivor (& warrior actually as she's got secondary breast cancer). I was always the gymnast, the one picked for the teams, the active one, and I spent a year running OCR's - taking ice baths, getting electrocuted, climbing actual mountains, getting shot at (not real bullets!) whilst raising funds for Cancer Charities on her behalf, and whilst I'm proud of my achievements and am grateful for my health & the ability to do these things I always feel a little pang of jealousy when my folks 'big her up' for something minor - usually something that isn't made any more difficult for her because of her cancer - and never once made any mention of my efforts.

The thing is, we can't  compete. Not in sports, not in coffee mornings, not in life. I've come to realise that I have to just keep trying to better than the me I was yesterday. I can only truly compete with myself. And the only person holding me back is the person in the mirror....

Dig deep & find the strength to compete with yourself - the victory will be much sweeter.

So............... my appt wit the physio was yesterday. Or rather I thought it was  :unsure: It is actually NEXT Saturday & they had oenciled me in for yesterday on the off chance that the lady already booked would cancel as she'd also booked an appt for mid-week. She didn't cancel. I didn't get to see the physio.

That said, my back is MUCH improved. I'm doing the exercises she gave me daily, and when we talked about going back to spin she was assuming that I'd be seeing her again in a week (ie. yesterday) as her secretary makes the appointments..... so I've taken the decision to NOT cancel the class and to see how I go. Then I can go and do a good long stretch/foam rolling session on Thursday before work & squeeze in a chat with my PT to get a program on the go formoving forward. I figure worst case scenario that if spin causes some pain on Wednesday I'm seeing her on Saturday anyways... 

Foolish? Possibly. But I'm feeling okay, and I'm starting to get more than a tad frustrated at a) paying gym fees for a gym I'm not attending, and B) not getting my endorphin buzz.

Time to get back to it.

Higs, I totally agree with Saree. It took a lot of honesty and bravery to admit that to yourself and to us. [insert hug]

And I totally get it. It's not about loving your sister less or not cheering hard for what she's conquered and accomplished. Running is *one* of the things that defined you, that made you special. It was your talent. So it's a little unsettling when someone else in the family starts to share your spotlight. Get your own damn light! But then you take a step back and realise, it makes about as much sense to resent her for having the same brown hair (just guessing!). Just because she can and does run doesn't take away from *any* of your fabulous accomplishments - or anything you've done as a runner. Notice how I put fabulous accomplishments and your running in separate piles? Running isn't why you're fabulous. It's just one of the things that the *fabulous* higs does. :)

We're all struggling with a closet full of insecurities, doubts and baggage. I have the same green eyed gremlin in so many aspects. But someone very bright once sagely told me that choices are about "embracing the good" and not being distracted or derailed by other stuff. I have 1000% confidence that you can embrace the good.

jmcbn, you've got so much motivation and drive I can't help but be in awe. It's a total bummer about your physio appt. getting moved back but it sounds like you're soooo close to being 100%. I have my fingers crossed for you and am excited about your spin class. Just try to keep the resistance modest and stay away from aggressive aero positions during flats. Remember that the power is coming from your core and quads. Or just ignore me..says someone who hasn't clipped into a spin class in 2 years. :)

Ahhhh, thank you all for the many words of wisdom!  I am really working on chilling out and letting my competitive nature take a back seat.  This morning I went with my running buddy to watch the Portland Marathon.  We were at the course just past the 17 mile mark, right where the runners cross a beautiful historic Portland bridge.  As expected, it was super inspiring.  The Portland Marathon is a really big race, about 10,000 runners, and the city comes out to cheer everyone on.  There is live music all along the course, and it was an absolutely gorgeous fall morning.  What I was reminded of, and this is going to sound totally cornball, is that I have gotten so much out of the process (dare I say "journey?") of getting to this point in my fitness level that has been so, so rewarding.  My race in a few weeks will be icing on the cake but the WIN has been in getting here -- and in setting my sights on my next goals.

I know feel confident enough in myself that maybe a marathon IS a possibility for me.  

That is a really good feeling.

jmcbn, I'm so glad your back is feeling better and that you're back to spinning this week!  Woo hoo!

Hope everyone is headed into an awesome week.  My cold is just about behind me after 7 days and tomorrow I think I'm going to try an easy run to see how it feels.  Onward, all!

Sorry I've been quiet - just not too much to report on from my end.

firstly, Saree! congrats on securing a sponsor! free shoes will save a ton of $$ in the future.

higs - I'm a slow runner as I've said, and will never beat my brother's times...so I beat him in distance :D.  We did our first half together, then he stepped up to a 16-mile trail run, so I ran the Great Wall of China full marathon. HA! I win!  Hahahaha!  I think it's fine to be competitive, but do make sure you enjoy the race as well. And I'm glad you're feeling better!

jcmb - hope your back holds up well to spin. I totally hear you on the endorphins withdrawal. I'm such a happier person when I get a nearly daily dose!

As for me, I think I'm going to call the podiatrist and set up a time for a new x-ray. My foot is feeling fantastic and I really think I'm ready to start running on it.  I even did jumping jacks in class this morning and have no soreness/tenderness or swelling.  I could just start running without his permission I guess, but I'd feel better seeing the x-ray first.

Food is still , shall we say, NOT near compliance right now... :blink:  :rolleyes:   BUT I'm taking the reigns on Wednesday latest. Until then, my bon-voyage of the soon to be discontinued foods and drinks continue. Nothing too horrid, and plenty of good healthy meats, veg and fats going on as well so it's all good.  I just couldn't motivate out of bed this morning in time for my morning Spin class. I went to the 8:00 weights class instead so I did manage some activity. I know my energy is tanking in the mornings due to my food choices so there's even more incentive to get back to eating well. Have a good day everyone!

Haha, Jen, I'd hardly call it a sponsor. That makes me sound like a pro - I am a middle-of-the-pack runner. It's just the old guy who owns the local running shop! (Although in all fairness to him, he did compete in the Olympic trials back in his heyday). Anyway, let us know what the podiatrist says about your foot! I bet you can't wait to hit the streets!

It's so true about endorphins and exercise. I am definitely addicted. Sometimes I think I replaced a food addiction with a running addiction - I guess that's a trade up, right? :wacko:

I had a tough workout this morning - 2 mile warm-up, 7x4mins at 10K pace (~7:45/mile) with 2min jogging recovery in between, then 1 mile cool-down (8 miles total). I'm going to take it easy the rest of the week, do a quick shake-out Thursday evening - then Saturday, race! I haven't raced in over 4 months, and my back is still giving me little twinges, so I'm kind of nervous.

Today and yesterday were compliant eating days, and tomorrow I am doing my last reintroduction - dairy. I'm actually super excited, because cream in my coffee and yogurt were probably the two things I have missed the most. I bought those two things, and also splurged on some expensive raw milk cheese. I'm not going to reintroduce gluten grains. All those foods - breads, cereals, crackers, cookies - are such huge triggers for me I'd rather just not mess with them for now.

And then I guess I have to figure out my WholeSaree eating plan! Exciting and a little anxiety-provoking! What do you guys do when you're not on a Whole30? In your ideal world AND in the real world?

Good morning Team Awesome!

Jen, the Great Wall of China marathon must've been AMAZING!  What an experience.  And I love your thinking about beating your brother in distance.   ;)

Saree:  you, middle of the pack?  You are probably in the top 10%, I'd say.  As for eating plans when not on a Whole30:  my ideal world would be to eat Paleo 90% of the time.  I definitely don't miss wheat or really much dairy.  I don't mind legumes or rice, and wouldn't mind having them once in a while.  And I would allow an occasional glass of wine (NOT 2-3 glasses a day, ahem) and dark chocolate.  Happy and moderate.

In reality, I tend to not maintain that for very long.  It doesn't take more than a few weeks of moderation before a box of mac and cheese starts calling my name.  My gateway drug is almond milk lattes.  Once those start, I can't stop.  They must be full of sugar, and they kick my cravings into full gear.  I should never have them, but damn they're good.  (And I'm particular about the almond milk.  Starbucks' almond milk is gross, but Peet's on the other hand…. divine.)

Yesterday I ran for the first time post cold, and it felt OK, just slow.  I took it really easy.  But then in the afternoon my cold kicked back up a notch so I think I resumed my training a bit too soon.  Now that I'm headed into the second week of cold, I'm getting really nervous about losing fitness - and I'm reshaping expectations like mad!  I'm still planning to do the run, but I'm starting to think of it more as a training run.  There is another half in mid December, 7 weeks after my October one, and I could train for it, too.  It takes the pressure off to have another run in mind.  I'm also planning one for mid March.  This will keep me training all winter!  Note I'm not racing going to be these so I'm not too worried (yet) about overtraining.  I'm just loving having this base built up and want to keep at it.

So I had an appt with a medical assessor this morning - my back injury stems from a RTA I had earlier this year, and whilst the hypermobility is an issue in itself, the pain originated from the impact - prior to that I'd been working on a lot of strengthening exercises with a PT and had made fantastic progress.

Anyways, he referred to my spine as 'sub-normal'  :blink: And said that there is no real treatment he can suggest, but to continue working with the physio/PT to try & improve strength.

So.... in the spirit of improving strength today just happens to be my comeback day and I'm a LITTLE bit excited.....  :D 

Saree - you were asking about our 'real/ideal' worlds....

Mine really isn't much different from Whole30. In fact anyone looking in would assume I'm currently on a Whole30 because I still follow the template, and still exclude pretty much all the off limit stuff on a daily basis.

I haven't eaten any grain or soy/legumes for a number of years and I don't plan on changing that any time soon. Carrageenan & Sulphites are the same. Dairy (although it mostly doesn't agree with me) does make an occasional appearance - I'll have a latte, for instance, from my favourite Barista when I'm in his area (only every couple of months or so), and there are a few desserts containing dairy that I'd class as 'worth it' but then I don't eat out that often...

I loosen up on the added sugars if I'm out, have a glass of wine with my meal, or maybe go for the occasional SWYPO treat... but even social drinking & the inevitable nuts & dark chocolate that tended to accompany it have taken a back seat (I used to pour a Gin&Slim every Saturday without fail @ 5pm & have a few more over the course of the evening, although that was the only day I ever took a drink unless I was on vacation)  but for the most part I'm WholeMe.

Post Whole30 you really have to find what works for you. Decide what foods don't compromise your health in anyway, or at least what foods you can include occasionally because they're worth it. What effects performance - positively or negatively... what effects sleep.... It's all very personal, but eventually you'll figure out your own WholeYou.

Is sugar free tonic the slim part of the  Gin and Slim, gargle-blaster-smiley.gif?1292867601  jmcbn?  Do you think the Queen would like one of those?

That's exactly what it was - and yup, that's exactly what Queenie drinks @ Gin O'Clock! - and I say was because having learned a thing or two about sugar/sweeteners & how they effect my mood/food choices I now switch the slimline tonic for seltzer with a generous squeeze of fresh lime if I'm having myself a gin these days. The lime is known to numb the effect of the alcohol on blood sugars by the way.......

That's exactly what it was - and yup, that's exactly what Queenie drinks @ Gin O'Clock! - and I say was because having learned a thing or two about sugar/sweeteners & how they effect my mood/food choices I now switch the slimline tonic for seltzer with a generous squeeze of fresh lime if I'm having myself a gin these days. The lime is known to numb the effect of the alcohol on blood sugars by the way.......

Why thank you,  my dear Watson.   I guess that would be elementary for those in the U.K.   Huh.   I like the generous lime squeeze.    Ooooo deaar, Watson.    Now, you've done it.   You've stirred up my song trigger.

Archived