Whole30 for runners, hikers, cyclists and other endurance athletes

higs

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy birthday Higs and great job on the run!!! I hope you have a wonderful day and a giant latte. It's perfect weather for enjoying the fall scenery and savouring a hot beverage. :D

I got up early this morning to cheer for a buddy that's running the Toronto Waterfront (Half) Marathon. It's so inspiring seeing all those runners out there - determined, strong and all collectively building a stronger future for themselves. I even managed to spot him and cheer for him (not so easy when there are 20,000 runners) lol.

Oh no!!!! Higs, we forgot to wish you good luck on your half marathon! Drat. I knew it was coming up "soon" and meant to check before the weekend but didn't. I hope you had a really great time (no pun intended) and that the cold didn't effect your running. I expect a full re-hash of the race. :)

Likewise higs, I'd every intention of coning back to wish you well but I've been up to my eyes lately... Hope it all went well for you!!

Me, I've had three sessions back at the gym lifting - just the olympic bar, no weights - but it's a start. I've basically been running through all my regular moves - squats, deadlifts, over head press, chest press, hang clean, hang clean to squat with over head press, and clean & jerk - 5 sets of 10, then I've finished off with some resistance work which I'm obviously more in control of and can push the weights a little...

I started pilates last week and that was interesting - it hurt my back a little throughout, but that pain eased off pretty quickly and my abs ACHED next day - just to distract from the pain in all my other muscles!! I can't make it this week, but I plan on adding it in regularly from here on in.

Did the bar routine again on Saturday, followed by spin. Took a rest day Sunday & Monday & then repeated the bar routine this morning, adding in some 'good mornings'.

Spin tomorrow, weights again on Thursday morning, Spin on Friday then rest for a few days before adding some weights to the bars next week & picking up some dumb bells - all being well...

Once I add in some actual weight I plan to start tweaking my food a bit and really paying attention to how it helps (or hinders) me perform.

Hi everyone!  First off, way belated thanks for the birthday wishes, and thanks also for the good wishes for the half!  I can report that the last week has been a very tumultuous one -- hence being away from the forum.  Actually, it was feeling like everything went to hell in a hand basket.  I really thought my race was blown.  My partner was back in town in time for my birthday but is dealing with a ton of really stressful family things right now, and unfortunately that buildup of stress and tension has made things very rocky for us right now.  What I planned to have as a restful taper week was totally the opposite.  Obviously life events intervene sometimes, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't resentful.  Work last week was stressful as well.  My sleep was awful.  Then, I got news that a close family friend was killed in an accident, and shortly after that my mom had a health issue that kept her from traveling to come to my race.  It was all awful!  I finally melted down on Friday and sobbed pretty much inconsolably for an hour.  

But then - I pulled it together Saturday and went to pick up my friend from the airport, and we drove out to the Gorge where the race was being held Sunday, and where we had rented an Air BnB for a couple nights.  My partner decided to stay home the first night -- probably a relief to us both -- so I got to have a little respite and some girlfriend time.  It was a beautiful fall day and just being out there in such gorgeous country made me feel better.

Race day!  Woke up with incredible race jitters, like I was going to throw up or poop my pants.  Neither occurred.  Met up with my partner and my main running buddy (sidelined with a knee injury) who had made the early trip in (yay!!) and then met up with my sister and her friend, and our exuberant cheering section of friends, husbands and my dad.  Tons of pre race photos occurred, as well as several trips to the porta potties.  And then, finally, FINALLY, we were off!

Jitters:  gone.  I was so glad to just get going.  Our little group ran together for the first mile.  One went on ahead, one dropped behind, and my sister and I ran together (double YAY!) for the first 4 1/2 miles.  That was really, really fun and I'm so glad we stuck together that long.  It was super relaxed, and we chatted so much we didn't really notice that we were running up a big mile long hill because we got to distract each other.  Eventually, though, she started drifting back and trailing me a bit so I moved on ahead.  I wasn't feeling competitive with her at all at that point; I was just paying attention to how I was feeling and we had agreed to both run our individual races.  So, I went on ahead.

The course is in the Columbia River Gorge, and it's on an old historic highway that threads along a mountainside above the river.  The scenery is about as spectacular as you can get:  the course is lined with trees in fall foliage, rocky outcroppings, and beautiful vistas of the river, which is massive and stunning.  And it was hilly, with not one but two big hills:  all together about 1000 feet of elevation gain and loss.  We had perfect weather:  upper 40's, overcast with sun breaks.  It's an out and back course, and it includes a tunnel!

My strategy was to run the first half slowly, then pick it up if I was feeling strong.  As it turned out, because of the hills, my splits were all over the place.  But at the turnaround I knew I had this thing.  I felt really good.  No aches, no pains.  So I conquered the last big hill (another mile long uphill between 7.5 and 8.5 miles) and turned on the gas.  It was so fun.  I felt awesome until mile 11 or so when the steep descents started, and my left calf got a little crampy.  Luckily, I was able to run through it.  I caught a glimpse of the finish line at the river from way up a high point of the course, and that was motivating.  So, poured it on and got 'er done, just as the rain started.

Here's the thing:  people (including you guys!) kept telling me not to worry about blowing those two weeks of training when I was sick -- that all the work I had done to get to this point would take me to finish.  Everyone said, "you'll be fine!"  Low and behold:  it's true!  My best expectation and hope for a finishing time was somewhere around 2:20-2:21 based on my 10k PR.  I had lowered that expectation when my training got "blown," and was hoping for something in the 2:25-2:30 range.  Guess what.  I frickin' finished in 2:15:59!!!!!!!!  Holy crap!!!!!!!  I am beyond elated about that time, especially with all those hills.

Thanks for indulging me in my long, long description.  This goal has been 5 years in the making, and has including a team of PTs, chiropractors, sports medicine docs, personal trainers, naturopaths, and tons of support and encouragement from friends and family.  It has included major diet changes (yay Whole30), a year of therapy, and important life style changes.  I knew I had already accomplished this goal in the months leading up to the race.  The race is icing on the cake.  But boy howdy, I am happy and I am celebrating!

And now I'm going to book a massage.  DOMS, people.  I am so sore.  Happy sore.

Here's the thing:  people (including you guys!) kept telling me not to worry about blowing those two weeks of training when I was sick -- that all the work I had done to get to this point would take me to finish.  Everyone said, "you'll be fine!"  Low and behold:  it's true!  My best expectation and hope for a finishing time was somewhere around 2:20-2:21 based on my 10k PR.  I had lowered that expectation when my training got "blown," and was hoping for something in the 2:25-2:30 range.  Guess what.  I frickin' finished in 2:15:59!!!!!!!!  Holy crap!!!!!!!  I am beyond elated about that time, especially with all those hills.

:D  :D  :D 

Just awesome higs - so so pleased for you - see, good things come to those who work their frickin' asses off  ;) 

Enjoy the massage!!

And yay again!!!!

Hugs (lots of hugs) and high fives Higs! You've had a real roller coaster of a couple of weeks. I was a little concerned at the back of my mind about what was going on with you. It's unlike you to be so quiet. I hoped that it was just life/friends/family keeping you busy vs. anything else. I'm so sorry to hear it was such a stressful and emotional sh*!&$ storm. But you somehow managed to pull it all together and have an incredible experience and an amazing race.

I'm so frickin' proud and happy for you Higs! That bears repeating: I am so *frickin proud and happy* for you Higs! Don't get me wrong - your race and PR are impressive, but it's your 5-year journey that has me cheering loudly. :)

Thanks you guys!  And hugs back!  I hope all is well with you all, too.  jmcbn, it's so great to hear you're back to lifting again - whew, that must feel awesome!  I am still indulging in some recovery days and this morning I'm glad for that, because boy, it's dark and raining outside this morning.  I committed to training all winter after my recovery phase -- I signed up for my next half in Moab, Utah in March.

I've been avoiding this thread for a little while because the past couple weeks I've really struggled with my eating, losing too much weight, which eventually culminated in an ice-cream feeding frenzy last weekend. Bottom line, I think I've been chronically underfueling and it just finally caught up with me. So the past week I've really focused on increasing quantity while maintaining quality and sticking to the template, and I'm feeling a lot better and performing well.

Had a great long run this morning, 15 miles averaging 8:10/mile with five sub-8:00 miles on the back end. Next weekend I am racing a half and hoping for a new PR. My coach is the 1:40 pacer so I'm just looking at it like a regular run with her by my side! Looking forward to a low-mileage week this week, too! Like a mini-vacation, haha.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well, and Happy Halloween!

Saree!  Welcome back.  I'm so glad you're feeling better -- your run sounds AWESOME.  I can't wait to hear about your race next weekend!  Rest up this week and eat, bubala!   :P

I too have been off template for the last week -- I took a big crazy food vacay after my race (I was hungry for days!) so I ate and drank whatever I wanted.  Blergh.  Today I'm trying to regain some equilibrium.  I'm a Libra and also an introvert, so when things start getting off kilter, I need to retreat, nest, clean, organize and cook up a storm and make a plan to get things back in line again.

Daylight savings, Day of the Dead, the darkening evenings - it all has me thinking about the next chapter.  Since I completed my big goal of running the half, I'm thinking about what comes next and how to build on that victory.  I am signed up for another race in March, but I want to keep tweaking and refining my wellness plan.  I have in mind putting together some kind of plan that will carry me from November through February, the darkest, hardest part of the year, when most of my running will be in the dark and in the rain.  Today I'm feeling super introspective, and what is sounding good is a lot of yoga for the next four months to go along with the running, and template eating as much as possible.  And Vitamin D.  And fit in some weekend skiing or snowshoeing to get some actual sun (if we get any snow this year, that is).  And I think I'll finally buy a slow cooker.

Hope everyone is doing great!

Saree, how was your race today???  I bet you were AWESOME.

Hi everybody!  It's been quiet - I'm still trying to get back on track after my recovery week, and missed a couple workouts this week.  But now headed to the mountains for the weekend where I'm hoping to get to see some SNOW.  Bring it!

I'd love to join. Gearing up for marathon training and on day 20 of my first whole30 I feel like total crap. The absolute opposite of any non scale victory and I really want to throw in the towel. Only doing about 15 miles a week running (plus 2-3 days cross training) until the end of my 30, but this is harder to figure out than I was expecting.

I'd love to join. Gearing up for marathon training and on day 20 of my first whole30 I feel like total crap. The absolute opposite of any non scale victory and I really want to throw in the towel. Only doing about 15 miles a week running (plus 2-3 days cross training) until the end of my 30, but this is harder to figure out than I was expecting.

Hey lcar, join us  I'm sorry you're not feeling better yet.  Hang in there!  Have you already looked into the meal templates and making sure you're getting enough fat and starchy carbs, and you're eating enough to support your activity level?  Congrats on marathon training!

Saree, how'd it go??

I did get to see some SNOW, snow snow snow this weekend!  It was beautiful.  I missed it last winter when we scarcely had snow at all and I didn't get to ski even one time.  But this morning I got to hike on the mountain in the falling snow - not enough for skiing yet, but there were several inches on the ground and it made me very, very happy.

AND I came home from the mountain and my slow cooker has arrived!  Woo hoo! I think it will open up a whole new world of cooking for me!

Race report - I smashed my PR by over 4 minutes, coming in just over 1:41 for an average pace of 7:43/mile. And it was NINETY DEGREES by the time the sun came up! Also, I ran a negative split for the first time ever - my last mile was at a 7:15 pace. I came  in second in my age group and 6th female overall. I am very, very pleased with my performance.

I wish I could say there was anything remotely Whole30-ish about my fueling strategy, but alas that was definitely not the case. That's okay - after a celebratory dinner last night I am ready to jump back onto the template this morning.

Saree!!!!!  Way to go!  Talk about SMASHING a PR.  You must feel awesome.  Oh my, I can't imagine running in that heat.  I love imagining that I was tromping around in the snow at the exact same time that you were blazing through your half.  Congrats on all the hard work that got you here - and you deserve a celebratory dinner or two!

Great job Saree!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!  I'm not sure if anyone is around as we're heading into the holidays… but I am here and welcome company!  I am pretty much finished with my recovery weeks, and in a couple weeks my next round of training starts.  I've upped my training plan from the beginner level to novice, and the long runs will be quite a lot longer.  This time of year is hard because its often so dark and often rainy when I run, so I can use some pals here to motivate.

I'm also reminded, again, about reasons for running.  Yesterday I had a fantastic run for an hour - after daylight!  It was 27 degrees outside but clear as a bell, sunny and frosty.  Everything sparkled.  As I headed north towards the Columbia River, it got foggy, and I listened to geese and fog horns on the river before breaking out into the sunshine again.  I felt better on my run than I have felt in weeks, which was awesome!  I also got to run out a lot of stress and tension and sadness (very difficult times in my personal relationship) and came back feeling a million times better.  Running is healing.  It really, really helps my mental state.  It helps me get grounded, and present, and I get to listen to the birds and appreciate the trees and little farm scenes that I run past.

AND eating well and sleeping well has such similar benefits.  I'm not on a strict Whole30 at the moment but have incorporated mostly Whole30 eating.  Where I tend to lapse is wine and sugar.  I'm doing pretty well avoiding grains and dairy.  Legumes aren't an issue of me but I don't eat them much.  Now that we're headed into the holidays, it will be tougher to stick to a plan but I will probably do a reset for a couple of weeks following Thanksgiving to get on a good track.

• 1 month later...

Archived