Whole30 for runners, hikers, cyclists and other endurance athletes

higs

Good morning!  So, today is the start of the Better Body Challenge at work. I have 2 months to drop 5% combined body fat/weight and looking at the body fat indicator from the fancy scale that shouldn't be any trouble at all. Yikes! The actual scale weight number doesn't bother me - I've been maintaining within a fairly generous range since I lost 50 lbs about 6 years ago and I'm still within that range. A bit on the high side of it at the moment but I know that will change as I can continue to up my activity.  Anyway, no more of the less healthy foods in my house as of last night. I had my pre-workout egg with a bit of mayo and worked hard in class today - upped my weights and took less breaks... PLUS I went out back with everyone else for the runs (yay!)  I went slowly and was careful about my foot placement, but it all felt fine.  I'll watch it today to see if there's any tenderness or swelling and if not will call for that appointment this week.  I forgot my Post-workout snack so am going to skip straight to Meal 1 - egg casserole with onions, mushroom, bell pepper, spinach and homemade pork breakfast sausage. YUM!

Saree - my WholeJenX plan is still coming into being, but in general I avoid gluten grains, soy and most dairy (cheese can be occasional). I also generally don't eat a lot of non-gluten grains because I just haven't missed them. Some rice if I go out for sushi, or the occasional taco using a corn tortilla are fine.  I also mostly avoid nuts as they are FWOB for me and cause some GI issues. It took 2 rounds of Whole 30 and very careful reintroductions for my gut to heal (was suffering with IBS for the past year or so) so I try not to eat anything that will set it off.  My biggest downfall is beer and wine. I love the stuff - but I know I do so much better sleep & energy wise when I'm not imbibing I do my best to give myself long periods without it. Especially if I'm trying to increase my fitness like now!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Everyone!

I would love to tag along on your journey!  Finished my first W30 on Sept 22 and started again Oct 5 - day 3 this time around.  Just love the way I feel while on W30 and feel I still need the disciplined structure - so going again.

I haven't exercised in the past 2-3 years - really at all.  Have been feeling achy and old!  Finally, I'm feeling good enough to get back on the exercise horse!  Just signed up for the "Avenue of the Giants" half marathon - May 1, 2016.  I've always been motivated by upcoming events (I've completed 5 marathons - 2 in Portland, 2 in Eugene, 1 in Nashville) - and several Half Marathons - always pretty slow and with walking breaks and that is fine by me.  It has just been quite a while.

One of my goals this W30 is to exercise each day - even a short walk or a bit of yoga.  Walked 3 miles Monday, and 3 miles yesterday - and cannot believe how weary that makes me!  Already talking to myself about taking it easy today.   :unsure:

Debbie

I have been thinking about my life after Whole30 right now too. I'm on day 17 of my second and I plan on doing some more detailed reintro when I'm done. I think I will pretty much stick to a Whole30 way of life because I feel so much better when I'm on it and I will only have the occasional treat here and there, if its worth it, so I would say 90% minimum. I will go back to another Whole30 if I feel myself slipping below that 90% range. I will certainly be able to tell in my Crossfit workouts. I plan on doing the weekly cook-up to keep me in the spirit of Whole30. I won't be so fussed about the odd sugar or seed oil making its way into my cooking. I also plan on continuing to visit the forums. Sometimes you just have to jump back into the water and see if you can swim.

Sooooo, I started with a good long warm up, followed up with a 15min walk on the treadmill with a 5% gradient and a good steady pace of about 6km/hr (approx 3.75m/hr), and then finished up with a 45 high intensity spin class.

As per my PT's instructions I only did short bouts of hovers, and focused mainly on resistance work.

I came home RAVENOUS - and I have to say that is the first I've felt any kind of real hunger in the last 5wks.

This morning I woke a little stiff so made sure I stretched well, foam rolled again, and then did just over 5k on the treadmill. The first 3 at a 2.5% gradient and a faster pace than last night, then the last 2km at 5% gradient again and I only slowed the pace a little.....  I worked up a good sweat, cooled down and felt like I'd achieved something.

The plan for the next few weeks is to continue the treadmill walking (pushing pace & gradient as much as possible), start a pilates class which my PT runs on a Friday evening, practice some of the key moves at home around 3 times a week to help build strength, & attend a few spin classes a week.

Then in 3-4 weeks I'll start an improvement program with the PT.

I'm back!! (well, I'm back at the gym at least........!!)

Jmcbn, you must feel so great! Incline walking is a perfect post-injury or recovery exercise - if you can push the incline up to 10% or higher, than walking at 3mph is as strenuous as running at 6mph, in terms of calorie burn, and with waaayy more activation of the posterior chain.

I'm sitting here drinking my coffee (with heavy cream - which I think is definitely going to make it into the WholeSaree plan - delicious healthy saturated fat with no ill effects!) then heading out for an easy 3 miles. I'll do another 3-4 miles easy tonight, maybe with a few 1-minute pickups to wake up my legs a little. I also have PT this afternoon, where I'm working on core and glutes. My therapist says my lumbar spine needs a "strong envelope" of muscular support to prevent misalignment and accommodate excess pressures like the kind I'm subjected to a work, repositioning and lifting heavy patients.

I've gained about a pound in the last week or so. As always, this comes with very conflicting feelings - it's weight I can definitely stand to gain, but honestly, who wants to see that number go up? And then I wrack my brain trying to figure out what to attribute it to  - my menstrual cycle? Reintroductions? Better just to stay off the damn scale, probably!

Thank you everyone who shared your eating plans/habits ... it absolutely helps me going forward deciding what I want to include and how often.

Hey everyone!

jmcbn:  WOO HOO!!!  You are back at it!  That must feel AWESOME.  I'm so happy for you that you're back in the saddle and on the path to doing your thing!

Saree:  staying off the damn scale is so hard!  I do periodically check my weight, too (pre and post W30's) - but usually when I'm feeling either side of my normal: either my jeans have gotten tight and i want to know what damage I've done, or I'm having that super lean post-period feeling and want to know if it shows on the scale.  

JenX: speaking of scales, I have one of those probably inaccurate hand held body fat monitors that I check now and then.  That body fat % is not budging much even though I've been running SO MUCH.  How can that fat % STILL be pretty much the same as two years ago?  I should drop that monitor in the trash.  I know it's just a number.  But I know I also carry the bad kind of visceral fat that still needs to go.  5% would just about do it...

kruddock, welcome back!  We started our W30's on the same day, and I've lost track of where we are.  Hey, past the halfway point!  

Hi Debbie!  We're fellow Oregonians!

evaq, how are you doing?

As for me, I am now on DAY frickin' 11 of this cold that has kept me sidelined.  Each morning I wake up and ask myself, can I run today?  And still I am a little congested.  When I tried to run earlier this week, I just retriggered the cold so now I'm hesitant… and super scared of how much fitness I'm losing.  I know I'm at the very end of this cold so HOPEFULLY fingers-and-toes-crossed I will be back on the road tomorrow.  I am never sick for this long, so my body must've been really taxed - although it didn't feel like it until that last big 10 mile run the day before I got sick!  I honestly think my mistake was starting a Whole30 during a peak training week -- I did feel pretty good running that first week, not terribly sluggish - until that 10 miler.  My body could handle hard training or the Whole30, but not both at once.  And boy, did it knock me on my butt!  So:  whine, whine (sigh)… Here's the good news:  I registered today for a half in March in Moab!  I am so excited!!  I have never been there but the scenery sounds absolutely stunning.  It's good to have a big motivator to work towards.

Have a great day, everyone!

kruddock, welcome back!  We started our W30's on the same day, and I've lost track of where we are.  Hey, past the halfway point!

I have been following along and am so impressed with how everyone is doing, I just chime in when I feel the need to say something.

Sorry to hear that your still under the weather, what are you doing for it? I find oregano oil works very well for congestion and sore throat. Few drops under the tongue does the trick. Hope you feel better soon!

Hey everyone!  I read a great article yesterday on fueling for long runs I wanted to share. It actually covered fat adaptation as an option, instead of just chewing all those nasty blocks and gels for "quick" carb/sugar energy.

http://www.active.com/nutrition/articles/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nutrition-for-long-runs

The best parts..." Newer Science. There is emerging science revealing that if we change our daily diets to include more fat, our bodies will burn more fat during exercise."    "...the body could be trained to use more fat during exercise with a more moderate, 50-percent fat diet." 

I've been tracking macros off and on since the end of my last Whole 30 and I do tend to eat right about 50% fat now just by eating to the template.  How cool is that?  Now all I need is the ability to go do a long run to test my fat adaptation... <_<  

Good morning!! I was woken up early by some stray dogs -so much for sleeping in on the weekend. :(. But, since I'm up and it's relatively cool out, I'm thinking about tagging along with my friends on their morning run. My foot has been feeling fantastic so I may just do it. I'd meet them and then do my own pace which will be very slow, deliberate and careful. Oops! Just got a text that one person bailed so the other is possibly pushing to tomorrow. Guess we'll see what happens.

After only 3 days of eating compliant foods I feel like myself again! Better energy, excellent sleep, better mood, acid reflux is gone and my GI tract likes me again. Oh, and the bloat I've had the last 2 weeks is gone. It's so nice to know whenever my food gets out of hand all I have to do is get back to basic principles of W30 and reset.

Saree, wow!!  Congrats!  You must feel GREAT!  That is really an awesome time.  My last 10k was an hour so you're running circles around me.   :) (I ran a 45:07 when I was 16 years old, but that was more than 30 years ago!!  I don't count it as a PR anymore because I'll never get anywhere near it, so I gave myself a PR reset.)

I was thinking this morning during my slow easy post-cold run about a couple of people who inspire me.  Being out here in farm country, there aren't many runners out on the roads.  I've gotten to know by sight anyway the regulars.  One is high school aged girl with legs like a gazelle.  She is a totally natural runner with a great stride, and she seems to absolutely love running.  My favorite thing about her is that whenever we pass each other on the road going opposite directions, she runs over to my side of the road to high five me.  She did it again today.  It always makes my run.

The other person I see sometimes is an ancient farmer who takes a walk every morning.  He wears work boats, baggy jeans cinched tight, a plaid work shirt and a cowboy hat.  He shuffles along on a walk slightly hunched to one side.  Every time I see him, he'll shake a finger at me, and with a twinkle in his eye, he says the same thing every time:  "Keep that up, and you're gonna live to be 100!"  And I respond, "you too!" (and then wonder if he is already 100, because he could be pretty close).

Both of these people give me an extra spring in my step whenever I see them.  I hope I'm able to give it back to them somehow, too.  I love our super quick little encounters whenever they happen.  I don't know their names or where they live, but they're my neighbors and I love having our little club.

The other person I see sometimes is an ancient farmer who takes a walk every morning.  He wears work boats, baggy jeans cinched tight, a plaid work shirt and a cowboy hat.  He shuffles along on a walk slightly hunched to one side.  Every time I see him, he'll shake a finger at me, and with a twinkle in his eye, he says the same thing every time:  "Keep that up, and you're gonna live to be 100!"  And I respond, "you too!" (and then wonder if he is already 100, because he could be pretty close).

Higs, those are my favorite kind of people.  They don't make them like that anymore.   He lived through the Great Depression and he appreciates everything.  Tough birds are the best kind.  They have wisdom.  Give me 10 of those anyday,  how awesome for you to know him.

So............... how's everyone doing?

I've been pounding it out on the treadmill & even made it to Spin on Sunday morning - so that was x2 spin classes & about 20k on the treadmill, with increasing gradient & speed as the week went on.

Saw the physio on Saturday morning and got some new core exercises to do (which are surprisingly tough!!), and the go ahead to start some 'gentle lifting' (whatever that means) in two weeks, so making a little more progress at least.

Mon & Tues are rest days for me at the moment, so I'm back at Spin this evening with a quick blast on the treadmill to warm up (I *may* break into a run depending on how I'm feeling), steep inclines with speed tomorrow, more of the same on Friday followed by Pilates, if the running happens this evening then I plan some intervals on a low gradient on Saturday followed by Spin, and I haven't thought much further ahead than that.

Eating going well, and already thinking about what to prep this weekend - the weather is getting decidedly chilly here so I think there'll most definitely be a stew of some sort on the menu.

Hey jmcbn and all!

You're getting closer and closer to getting back to lifting, from the sounds of it!  It must be feeling great to be getting back to the gym!  All you guys that do spinning are inspiring to me.  Confession:  I have never in my life done a spin class.  My running buddy is doing a lot of spinning right now since he tore his medial meniscus, and he's been trying to talk me into joining him.  So, next month after my half I'll give it a try.  It seems like great winter cross training.  I just have a hard time indoors at gyms usually (wanting to be outside instead).

My half marathon is in 11 days!!  I have finally kicked my cold and am doing some moderate running, which is feeling great - but I haven't done another long run heading into my taper.  I'm a little nervous about that.  But mostly I'm looking forward to the whole race weekend with friends and family in town.

Stew sure sounds good.  It's stlll unseasonably warm here and I'm looking forward to the cold weather.  It's weirdly late in October to be this warm - it's supposed to reach 80 degrees this week!

Hope all are well.

Good morning everybody!

I, too, have never taken a spin class, although I've ridden thousands of miles and every summer do a multi-state 350-mile mountain biking tour - like Higs I have trouble doing anything inside. It feels harder even when I'm going slower and covering less distance! But I know so many people who LOVE spin and who get awesome results, too.

I bet you are so excited for your race, Higs! I have a half coming soon up too, on November 8! I'm so glad you are finally feeling better! Enjoy your taper and you will run strong and have a blast.

I'm still eating pretty much Whole30 since I completed my reintros, although as I mentioned I am having heavy cream in my coffee most mornings and not worrying so much about added sugars when dining out. I've also had a couple of drinks on one or two occasions, and yesterday there were some kidney beans in my salad that I didn't bother picking out. I still feel really good but one thing I have noticed is that my hunger levels are way, way up. I'm having trouble going 4-5 hours between meals again, and the hunger I'm feeling is the unpleasant "hangry" kind. Could this be from the few things I've added back? Or because my training volume has increased and my body is telling I just need to eat more in general? I'm a little worried about it because that was one of the best things I gained from my Whole30. I don't want to get back in the habit of snacking all day. I'm still eating my starchy veggies every day and I haven't added back any grains.

Good morning!

Saree, you're hungry because you ran that blisteringly fast race last weekend!   :D  Maybe try to up the fats?  It doesn't seem like adding in a little cream or legumes would make you hungrier.  I would expect that from sugars, but not a splash of cream.

I am getting really excited for my race.  I did a really great tempo run yesterday and finally felt like, oh yeah, I got this.  It was a blustery windy run with the wind sometimes at my back, so I felt like I was flying along the road in the dark.  But I never seemed to go into a headwind - bonus!  It was more swirly.  It was a really fun run.

Happy Friday, everyone!

Hi everybody,

I was away for a little while (hence the silence) and have been taking it easy because my foot still hasn't completely recovered from my slight sprain 7 weeks ago. I started to take my rest and recovery a lot more seriously when at 5 weeks things hadn't really progressed - so I'm staying away from any "weight-bearing" exercises. Which is pretty much everything. Just upper body and easy-moderate walks for me. Argh. I just have to be patient.

Higs, I'm so glad that you're feeling better and that you've got managed to get a few good runs in. Being mentally confident is a big part of stepping

Saree, congratulations on an amazing race!!!! You totally crushed it. My last 10k (several year back) was 49:42 and I remember how challenging it was to race the distance. Too long to go all-out but somehow the pace was just at your threshold. Or like I prefer describing: being chased by lazy dinosaurs. It's my favourite distance, but gosh it's hard.

jmcbn, that's terrific that you're just about fully recovered and are finally able to find your groove again. It must be such a relief and also feel so wonderful to finally be able to connect with your body again.

JenX, have you read or listened to any interviews with Peter Attia? He's got an intimidating academic background (engineer, applied mathematics, doctor) and has spent a lot of time devoted to researching nutrition science and athletic performance. He might be worth checking out. I've listened/read a few of his piece and while he does get quite detailed with the science, it's still fascination. Here's a Q+A with him:

http://asweetlife.org/feature/the-ketogenic-diet-and-peter-attias-war-on-insulin/

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi evaq!  Oh, those pesky ankles.  They are so mighty, and yet so delicate!  I have a lot of respect for ankles.  It sounds like you are treating your foot with a lot of respect, which is good.  And just think: your upper body and core will get really strong while you're resting your foot.   :)

I had my last long run before my half next Sunday.  I ran 10.2 miles this morning -- the longest distance of my entire life!  It was perhaps longer than I needed to/should run as I'm starting my taper, but psychologically I needed to know that I can do this.  And now I know I can.  I felt strong (and tired near the end), healthy and completely capable.  Win!

And, tomorrow's my birthday, so I'm going to celebrate with a rest day, a latte, and dinner out with my partner.  It feels pretty awesome to be starting my 50th year in the best shape I've been in many many years.  Thanks for inspiring me, my Whole30 friends!

Archived